Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Get covid vaxxed or get out....

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Get covid vaxxed or get out....

Old 3rd Nov 2021, 17:42
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Around
Posts: 988
Wink Get covid vaxxed or get out....

Here's a thread actually relevant to anyone still in....

So rumour has it DCOM Ops has written to all non-vaxed service personnel stating that continued refusal to vaccinate against covid "could affect your employability"...

All the recipients are having to sign to acknowledge receiving the letter.

I wonder if they have the stones to boot someone out over this....?
downsizer is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 18:43
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Southampton
Posts: 787
When I was undergoing recruit training, we were all sent to the Medical Centre, lined up and one at a time, given several jabs in both arms.

I don’t recall being asked if I wanted them…
Saintsman is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 19:07
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 689
As one of a few light blue jobs in a sea of green, I was called into a Pongo medical centre and berated soundly for letting my Yellow Fever vaccination go out of date and making myself undeployable. Pointing out managing my vaccine status was their job and while I was working for them, I wasn't deployable, and it said so on my posting notice, did not help. They insisted I had to have the jab, I told them to check with the RAF. Personal choice, as such, never entered the argument. The only time I ever had a choice was the Anthrax jabs, The presentation that preceded the decision suggested it was a bad idea so I went along with them and declined. As far as I know, so did everyone else on my unit ... in Gloucestershire,
Ninthace is online now  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 19:35
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 61
Posts: 1,600
A lot of confusion over Covid Jabs and Flu ones etc. There's a sage chap just resigned from the August group citing nobody taking it al seriously enough. Then there are people, keen to wear masks and impose restrictions, who think Covid is far more serious than flu and the two should not be compared. Such people tend to also defend those choosing not to have the vaccine and calling it experimental, their latest challenge to the notion of making Covid vaccines compulsory is, should flu vaccines be made compulsory as well as covid vaccines then? Nothing like a gotcha moment!

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 19:45
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: London
Posts: 447
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy View Post
A lot of confusion over Covid Jabs and Flu ones etc. There's a sage chap just resigned from the August group citing nobody taking it al seriously enough. Then there are people, keen to wear masks and impose restrictions, who think Covid is far more serious than flu and the two should not be compared. Such people tend to also defend those choosing not to have the vaccine and calling it experimental, their latest challenge to the notion of making Covid vaccines compulsory is, should flu vaccines be made compulsory as well as covid vaccines then? Nothing like a gotcha moment!

FB
I'll let you know if it's a gotcha moment as soon as I understand what it is you're trying to say.
Mil-26Man is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 20:02
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: liverpool uk
Age: 65
Posts: 1,295
Originally Posted by Ninthace View Post
As one of a few light blue jobs in a sea of green, I was called into a Pongo medical centre and berated soundly for letting my Yellow Fever vaccination go out of date and making myself undeployable. Pointing out managing my vaccine status was their job and while I was working for them, I wasn't deployable, and it said so on my posting notice, did not help. They insisted I had to have the jab, I told them to check with the RAF. Personal choice, as such, never entered the argument. The only time I ever had a choice was the Anthrax jabs, The presentation that preceded the decision suggested it was a bad idea so I went along with them and declined. As far as I know, so did everyone else on my unit ... in Gloucestershire,
If that is recent, then they are wrong, as Yellow Fever is now one shot for lifelong cover.
air pig is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 20:51
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 23,327
Checked on my NHS link, it shows my childhood stuff but none of the stuff the RAF pumped into me at Swinditz, another lineup in a corridor and jab away. Again no choice in the matter…
NutLoose is online now  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 20:56
  #8 (permalink)  

"Mildly" Eccentric Stardriver
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: England
Age: 75
Posts: 3,730
air-pig. It has to be WAY BACK. I had the Yellow Fever jab in '66, and it was a lifetime one then
Herod is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 21:02
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 2,147
Originally Posted by NutLoose View Post
Checked on my NHS link, it shows my childhood stuff but none of the stuff the RAF pumped into me at Swinditz, another lineup in a corridor and jab away. Again no choice in the matter…
I recall it was in the morning. As Senior Man (obvs), I got to see the weekly programme, and noted to the Sgt, that the pm was blank. I asked why that was. "You'll see." he said. I was at the back of the queue, and when I got out, there were about 7 or 8 fainters out of the 58; and a load not feeling too grand!

CG
charliegolf is offline  
Old 3rd Nov 2021, 22:14
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Warrington, UK
Posts: 3,666
I had the Yellow Fever jab in '66
I served 1972-97 and had the jab every 10 years, so 3 times for me.
MightyGem is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 04:22
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 61
Posts: 1,600
Originally Posted by Mil-26Man View Post
I'll let you know if it's a gotcha moment as soon as I understand what it is you're trying to say.
Quite simply sir, many who are opposed to compulsory vaccinations regarding covid also tend to be among those who regard the virus as a serious problem and are happy enough to see compulsory wearing of masks etc. But will use the counter-argument against compulsory vaccinations for covid by questioning why we don't insist on compulsory vaccinations for Flu? The reason is simple, flu is not at all the kind of threat that covid is. The chances of covid spreading fast are well known and while its mortality rate is small the faster it spreads the more people it will claim. Flu is not in the same league yet I heard this counter argument the other day, if vaccinations should be compulsory for covid, then why not flu as well?

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 08:28
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: In Hope
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Finningley Boy View Post
if vaccinations should be compulsory for covid, then why not flu as well?

FB

Annual UK Flu = round about 1,800
Annual UK C19 = so far, round about 70,000 ......hope that helps
Spud Gun is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 09:45
  #13 (permalink)  

Gentleman Aviator
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Teetering Towers - somewhere in the Shires
Age: 73
Posts: 3,576
Got a good vaccination dit from many years ago.

My first tour was in Sharjah, and a couple of mates were lucky enough to grab indulgence flights to Singapore and/or Hong Kong. For which the yellow fever jab was required.

One of the mates had one - think it was 10 years worth then - so the other trudged off the the Army Medical Centre, who were the only people on base who had the vaccine. Mate sees Army doc, who then discovers that the yellow fever jab comes in a bottle with two jabs-worth. Not wishing to waste one, doc opens window and calls to a passing soldier.

"Soldier - have you had a yellow fever jab?"

"Nossir!"

"Well get your arse in here - you're having one now!"

Would probably be called assault nowadays........
teeteringhead is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 09:58
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 23,327
Last year I visited my quack about something unrelated, he was looking at my records and noted I hadn't had my flu jab yet, so said we can fix that now and off he went got it and gave it to me then and there...

Personally I agree, everyone should have the Covid ones, as it is no good most of the population having it and the few that haven't developing a new resistant strain to the current vaccine and putting us all at risk and back to square one again. So I agree with the mentality on this, sack them if they will not have it etc..
NutLoose is online now  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 11:27
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 533
Originally Posted by MightyGem View Post
I served 1972-97 and had the jab every 10 years, so 3 times for me.
80's I got a ten year certificate with mine.

Following my first TABT jab at BRNC I got violent muscle tremors and spent several hours rattling an iron bed frame. When it came to the second dose it turned out no one had recorded the reaction, however when I mentioned it to the stern senior QARRN she gave me the option to refuse but with the comment I would regret it if I got typhus or para typhoid. That's enough lantern swinging from me ...

Being told vaccine refusal can affect your employability isn't new, as stated in this 2017 pongo document:

ANNEX B TO AFC(H) JIs DATED SEP/OCT 17

What happens if I refuse vaccination?
The vaccination programme is voluntary and you will not be forced to have any vaccines if you
refuse. Vaccines have a strong safety record and are very successful in protecting people from
diseases for which they are given. They are strongly advised to protect you and to help you
remain fit and healthy. Refusing vaccination could have an effect on the roles you are able to do
and the locations you can safely work in during your military career. This in turn can affect your
employability. In the event that you refuse vaccination your clinician will inform your Chain of
Command so that you can be managed in the right way.
(my emphasis)
So, if the rumour is true, DCOM Ops is just reminding those serving of the facts of life. Not deploying personnel who have refused to protect themselves against a potentially debilitating illness, contracting which would reduce their unit's effectiveness, is just ensuring the risks are ALARP. Service is a team sport and, acts perceived as selfish will affect your selection for future fixtures.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the pond "Troops who refuse COVID vaccines won’t be guaranteed veterans benefits, officials warn"
https://www.militarytimes.com/news/p...fficials-warn/

We see the vaccine as a readiness issue,” said Gil Cisneros, Defense Department undersecretary for personnel, during testimony before the Senate Veterans’ Affairs Committee.
SLXOwft is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 14:07
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 61
Posts: 1,600
Originally Posted by Spud Gun View Post
Annual UK Flu = round about 1,800
Annual UK C19 = so far, round about 70,000 ......hope that helps
I trust you're not quoting me out of context here Spud Gun, the snippet you've taken is a segment of an example of what those opposed to compulsory covid vaccinations are using as a counter argument.. to knock the Ball back in the court of those who think we should have vaccine passports!?!??! It's not my opinion. And I accept your figures of course.
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 14:49
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 77
Posts: 6,944
Please, Sir, I’m Old and Vulnerable!” At least, that's how we are classified here on our little Island. And at our ages we take NO chances of serious illness, hospitalisation or incurring premature Funeral Expenses!

We were at the front of the queues for our 1st and 2nd Pfizers, and the same for the recent Booster. And for the Flu jab too! And apart from protecting ourselves and the rest of Society, it also facilitates our holiday travels to warm and sunny foreign places. What’s not to like about it? And, yes, there is a parallel with those still serving … protecting colleagues in the workplace, maintaining Military efficiency and being fully employable/deployable.
MPN11 is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 15:31
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Welwyn Garden City
Age: 61
Posts: 1,600
Originally Posted by MPN11 View Post
Please, Sir, I’m Old and Vulnerable!” At least, that's how we are classified here on our little Island. And at our ages we take NO chances of serious illness, hospitalisation or incurring premature Funeral Expenses!

We were at the front of the queues for our 1st and 2nd Pfizers, and the same for the recent Booster. And for the Flu jab too! And apart from protecting ourselves and the rest of Society, it also facilitates our holiday travels to warm and sunny foreign places. What’s not to like about it? And, yes, there is a parallel with those still serving … protecting colleagues in the workplace, maintaining Military efficiency and being fully employable/deployable.
I was told today that I still had to wait 6 months before my Booster, not 5 in accordance with recent government changes to get everyone in quicker. Anyway, 6 it is, so on 11 December I will receive it!

FB
Finningley Boy is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 16:06
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Derbyshire
Posts: 380
I was in Saudi when we were "invited" to have the Anthrax Jab.

A doctor - or Medic of some sort - gave us a brief and told us to go for it - Vets have it all the time he said, so it is perfectly fine.

Some person in the back seats asked what the effect of the Anthrax vaccine was if you also had to use a "Combi-pen"?

I have never used a "Combi-pen", but in training, I have seen the size of the needle. If I was prepared to use that and fire the needle into me, then I had always considered that there would be serious things going on, and Anthrax would probably be a relatively minor issue.

However, the Doc/Medic looked to the sky, and said "I don't think anyone has thought of that" - at which point the take-up of the Anthrax Jab dropped.

I had mine - and I didn't die - but I have yet to use a "Combo-Pen"!!
ex-fast-jets is offline  
Old 4th Nov 2021, 21:39
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Northumberland, England
Posts: 255
Then of course there's the inadvertent use of the combo-pen, resulting in the later application of atropine overdose medication...
Tocsin is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.