Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Russia ‘jamming signals’ at RAF Cyprus base

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Russia ‘jamming signals’ at RAF Cyprus base

Old 20th Mar 2021, 11:47
  #21 (permalink)  
Registered User *
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Here 'n' there!
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by Two's in View Post
If you haven't heard of Erik Prince and Blackwater, you might be unaware that the US leads the field in unaccountable, untraceable private armies working for the Government.

P.S. So the Russians doing what they have been doing since the Cold War started - real news flash stuff. Somebody should be giving them an Industry award for providing field test conditions for COMSEC and Tempest evaluation.
Agreed! Hence my "Contras" comment! I guess the topic for the discussion would be how "mainstream" such links by Governments to such organisations are? How much do such links form part of "official daily State administration" and who it's supposed to help? I suspect even the assembled wisdom of the all PPRuNers, if harnessed as one, could not answer that. So much is hidden - on both sides. And the motives so nebulous!

And, re the Thread Topic, as you suggest, the Russians are probably giving the systems a far better workout than any Tempest Test van ever did! It was always an easy (for that, read "slow") day when the van appeared and I was told to help out. Fine if it was sunny and one could take it easy on the grass while the Team did their stuff ........ Happy daze!
Hot 'n' High is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 12:43
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: england
Posts: 764
Bearing in mind us civvies have been operating in the Eastern Med through such jamming over the last few years, I had assumed that the UK military had better kit and SoP’s to operate in such an environment?
hunterboy is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 13:20
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Wherever it is this month
Posts: 1,636
Originally Posted by hunterboy View Post
Bearing in mind us civvies have been operating in the Eastern Med through such jamming over the last few years, I had assumed that the UK military had better kit and SoP’s to operate in such an environment?
Where in the article does it say that the jamming had any impact on operations? Of course someone will say it 'could' cause an accident, either the MOD trying to make the beastly Russians look reckless or the journalist trying to sensationalise the story.

Last edited by Easy Street; 20th Mar 2021 at 13:31.
Easy Street is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 13:22
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: EUSSR
Posts: 22
So Russians facilitate a proper field testing of the NATO equipment, SOPs and pilot skills? Free-of-charge? Somehow if that was really the case I sure think that while making a big stink out of it publicly NATO hopes that they do carry on as ultimately such conditions only will improve their systems in the long run. Non-story.
skygeek is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 13:57
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: The Far Side of The Moon
Posts: 45
This is hardly news as there has been a Permanent NOTAM advising of GPS signal interruptions in Nicosia FIR for a while now and pilots should be expecting it and have alternate means of navigation available.

Latest NOTAM below:

A0211/20 - GPS SIGNAL INTERRUPTIONS HAVE BEEN REPORTED WITHIN NICOSIA FIR.
PILOTS ARE REQUESTED TO PROMPTLY REPORT TO ATC ANY GPS SIGNAL
INTERRUPTION EXPERIENCED. 11 FEB 12:30 2020 UNTIL PERM. CREATED: 11 FEB 12:34
2020
Well Travelled Nav is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 17:25
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by Ewan Whosearmy View Post
Etudiant. Do you also disbelieve the Bellingcat analysis?

https://www.bellingcat.com/resources...ings-suspects/
Quoting Bellendcat is akin to quoting wikipedia, ever Foreign Office has highlighted the willingess they have to write the story to suit who is writing the cheque.
racedo is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 17:35
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by Video Mixdown View Post
Putin sent his goons to our country to commit murder using nerve gas. I think 'hostile' is quite a mild description.
Right.

At the same time we should believe the US claim, Russian media spending <$100k on Twitter somehow influenced US elections in 2016 where as US policing and intelligence agencies spending $1 billion and having the best software in the world couldn't prevent this. HRC backers who spent $100M used the wrong people.

Just like the claimed poisoning on useful idiot Navalny, Russia, just like western countrys is more than capable of ensuring someone dies. Dr David Kelly seems strangely forgotten on the 18th Anniversary of the Iraq invasion.
racedo is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2021, 21:55
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 1,127
Originally Posted by Ewan Whosearmy View Post
Etudiant. Do you also disbelieve the Bellingcat analysis?

https://www.bellingcat.com/resources...ings-suspects/
Entirely.
My point is that the Russian record is unequivocal, when they want someone killed, they kill them, irrespective of the collateral damage.
This was not a Russian operation.
etudiant is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 04:44
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Not far from a big Lake
Age: 79
Posts: 1,461
My intelligence sources indicate that in addition to the missile strikes against the extensive US/Turkish/Israeli oil theft operations in Northern Syria, a war is starting to flare up in Eastern Ukraine/Donbass region. At the same time, there are heavy NATO exercises starting up in the Black Sea region.
The Russians might understandably be be a bit concerned about the increasing buildup of military forces in their vicinity and might act to harass military movements.
Of particular concern to me is that these activities have received minimal to no publicity here in the U.S.
I suggest that those operating in the Eastern Med and Black Sea region be prepared for the unexpected.




Machinbird is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 05:01
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Near the coast
Posts: 1,994
Etudiant

I neither know nor really care who attempted to kill the Skripals. I have not read too much about it other than the reports in the news. I had certainly not heard of the bellingcat report.

I find your viewpoint, and others like it, fascinating though.

Assuming you only have access to information freely available on the internet (if you are a government agent with Top Secret clearance this is a strange conduit for your intelligence updates) you seem very adamant that you know better than everyone else.

You may well be correct and I will admit that anything involving the Russian government (and indeed any government) should be viewed with skepticism. However, making definitive statements when you are not in possession of all the facts can appear a little arrogant to say the least.

There is nothing to stop you stating your beliefs but the way you present them can reflect upon the way people view you.

BV

Bob Viking is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 11:09
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by Bob Viking View Post
There is nothing to stop you stating your beliefs but the way you present them can reflect upon the way people view you.
BV
BV - That applies to everybody here. Anybody taking a viewpoint that is not on message, i.e. questioning anything that western media are pushing as a narrative, is automatically targeted as being in pay of X Govt and a pseudo enemy. The fact that many people are questioning because they have experience of the long history of Govt lying.

I expect the same would have been on here in 2003 during the Iraq invasion. People happily jump on bandwagon now and saying it was wronga and if only we had known. Fact is people did and still went along with the narrative.
racedo is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 11:53
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Exit stage right.
Posts: 288
Originally Posted by Machinbird View Post
My intelligence sources indicate that in addition to the missile strikes against the extensive US/Turkish/Israeli oil theft operations in Northern Syria, a war is starting to flare up in Eastern Ukraine/Donbass region. At the same time, there are heavy NATO exercises starting up in the Black Sea region.
In 2016 Kiev supported HRC, they expected a build up of forces in Ukraine and a war. Biden had removed the questioning of corruption but Trump got impeached because he questioned it. Given Hunter's rewards then not surprising a war is being pushed but the Ukrainians are not playing ball as much as the US want. Kiev's ban on young men crossing the border to avoid conscription tells its own story.

Ukraine has not had a census in almost 20 years, the numbers would be scary because the claimed 41.5 million people are minimum 8 million less, Poland has 3-4 million, Germany 500k plus, Russia 1 million all since 2014. How do you fight a war when your own people leave rather than stay and fight to support more corruption and neo nazis.

I fully expect a replay of 2014 in Ukraine, Kiev will lose more territory and Russia will get sanctioned again.
racedo is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 17:16
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 1,127
Originally Posted by Bob Viking View Post
I neither know nor really care who attempted to kill the Skripals. I have not read too much about it other than the reports in the news. I had certainly not heard of the bellingcat report.

I find your viewpoint, and others like it, fascinating though.

Assuming you only have access to information freely available on the internet (if you are a government agent with Top Secret clearance this is a strange conduit for your intelligence updates) you seem very adamant that you know better than everyone else.

You may well be correct and I will admit that anything involving the Russian government (and indeed any government) should be viewed with skepticism. However, making definitive statements when you are not in possession of all the facts can appear a little arrogant to say the least.

There is nothing to stop you stating your beliefs but the way you present them can reflect upon the way people view you.

BV
Full disclosure, I have zero secret information, but thankfully the internet allows one to read dissident opinions from outside the Reuters bubble.
There is enough doubt raised imho by the reporting of John Helmer ( Dances With Bears ) to suspect that the UK secret services have been 'economical with the truth' in this matter.
I admit that I do not believe that recognizing the monomaniacal focus the Russians appear to have on primary mission success is irrelevant to this discussion.
We had two alleged Russian murder attempts, on Skripal and on Navaly, yet both were botched by all evidence, whereas Litvinenko was murdered with no possibility of healing, but a trace back to Russia a mile wide...
To me, this smells.
etudiant is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2021, 20:13
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: 30 Miles from the A1
Posts: 419
So have they taken over from the Limassol taxis who used to 'comms jam' the Troodos TADs in the 80s and 90s?
2Planks is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 07:52
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: UK
Age: 51
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Delusions are hard to shake when they are facts.
When you start thinking your delusions are facts, that when the guys with the straight jacket start appearing.
highflyer40 is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 09:14
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: EGSS
Posts: 927
Originally Posted by etudiant View Post
Given that the purported target has survived, with him and his daughter, who flew in from Russia, now held incommunicado by HMG, I frankly don't believe a word of the 'official' story.
Somebody still died as a result.
Flightmech is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 12:58
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: south of Cirencester, north of Lyneham
Age: 74
Posts: 1,256
GPS is nowhere near as reliable as was hoped. Jamming and spoofing are fairly common and there last but one issue of the IEEE Spectrum magazine ahd an article on how US government jamming and spoofing exercises has nearly caused accidents.
radeng is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 12:58
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Nigeria
Age: 54
Posts: 5,050
...or the direction it was flying in....
They can jam E2Bs now?
212man is online now  
Old 22nd Mar 2021, 18:01
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: NEW YORK
Posts: 1,127
Originally Posted by Flightmech View Post
Somebody still died as a result.
Sadly true, but not anyone of even remote interest to Russia.
To me, that suggests some spy community cock up, rather than a Russian assassination attempt, which I would have expected to be more direct.
Skripal had been under the wing of the British spy community for quite a while, so he had zero intelligence value, plus he was quiet, so no publicity benefit.
To claim the Russians would mount a murder campaign against him and then screw it up seems a stretch, given their track record elsewhere.
etudiant is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2021, 08:53
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: England
Age: 63
Posts: 303
Etudiant,

I'll bite - why the reference to Russia regarding the death, seems counter-productive to your argument that Russia wasn't involved?

Also, if Skripal was of zero value and not 'broadcasting' what was the point? Hypothetically, let's extrapolate your viewpoint that UK security services were being economical with the truth, to what end?

I also have zero additional information, unless further information surfaces, Occams razor principle appears sound to me
Momoe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.