Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Syrians Shoot Down Russian Reconnaissance

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Syrians Shoot Down Russian Reconnaissance

Old 18th Sep 2018, 04:26
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: downunda
Age: 71
Posts: 105
Syrians Shoot Down Russian Reconnaissance

Oh Dear. Looks like a nasty mistake.

Russian spy plane carrying 14 people 'accidentally shot down' by Syrian anti-aircraft battery - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
flynerd is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 07:28
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Moscow region
Age: 60
Posts: 482
Were the Australians around to make such a firm statement?
Yes, it appears quite possible because the Syrian army is not well-trained, but this was during the attack by Israeli AF and a French ship to the Syrian territory. So, both had means to shot down such an easy aerial target.
More data are needed to say anything for sure.
A_Van is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 07:47
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 9,626
The Russians haven't yet said who they think was responsible for shooting it down, nor indeed that it was shot down at all.

TASS: Russia’s military aircraft disappears over Mediterranean Sea
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:04
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Esher, Surrey
Posts: 436
The BBC report
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-45556290
beamender99 is online now  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:10
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 671
There were reports on social media last night of Russian AD batteries at Latakia engaging targets, with the usual nonsense about the S400. Could be a case of red-on-red.
dead_pan is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:10
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,756
Russia now reportedly blaming Israel, alleging that a lack of notice about the Israeli action, 'pushed' the aircraft into the line of fire. Some pretty simplistic Sky reporting though...

CG
charliegolf is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:14
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 671
There were reports on social media last night of Russian AD batteries at Latakia in action. Possible red-on-red? Could explain the silence from Moscow while they try to get their story straight and fabricate evidence that it was someone else
dead_pan is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:22
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 9,626
Originally Posted by dead_pan View Post
There were reports on social media last night of Russian AD batteries at Latakia in action.
That's hardly a surprise, given that the Russians have acknowledged that Israeli F-16s had mounted an attack on Latakia.

Could explain the silence from Moscow while they try to get their story straight and fabricate evidence that it was someone else
Well yes, if we can't accuse them of fabricating evidence, we can at least accuse them of maybe planning to do so.
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:32
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 82
Who to believe, this below from a Syrian blogger

BREAKING: #Israel missiles shot down #Russia-n IL-20 Jet over #Syria, 14 Russian service members are dead!
Israel and France were firing a barrage of missiles near the Russian base in Latakia.
US government and media trying to claim it was a Syrian missile that accidentally shot it down in an attempt to shift blame, however, Syrian air defence systems are all Russian made, Russian aircraft appear as 'friendlies' on the radar system' it would never hit a Russian plane. WHAT A JOKE.

Also seems that the west is keen to get its gas pipeline regardless of the carnage. Even Merkel has hinted she may take Germany to war with Syria although given the German militaries current state it may be with catapults.
https://www.rt.com/news/438676-frenc...nean-missiles/
DroneDog is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:41
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 671
So the misinformation begins. Nice touch, bringing the Germans into the story
dead_pan is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:43
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by dead_pan View Post
So the misinformation begins. Nice touch, bringing the Germans into the story
Really, https://www.dw.com/en/merkel-calls-for-european-response-to-syria-takes-flak-from-opposition/a-42696954

http://www.spiegel.de/international/germany/germany-faces-new-pressure-to-take-military-role-in-syria-a-1228150.html
DroneDog is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:44
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 82
The truth hopefully is somewhere in the middle, but if you think I believe western Main Stream Media :-)

https://www.dw.com/en/merkel-calls-f...ion/a-42696954
DroneDog is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:47
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: FL410
Posts: 811
Originally Posted by DroneDog View Post
Who to believe, this below from a Syrian blogger
BREAKING: #Israel missiles shot down #Russia-n IL-20 Jet over #Syria, 14 Russian service members are dead!
Israel and France were firing a barrage of missiles near the Russian base in Latakia.
US government and media trying to claim it was a Syrian missile that accidentally shot it down in an attempt to shift blame, however, Syrian air defence systems are all Russian made, Russian aircraft appear as 'friendlies' on the radar system' it would never hit a Russian plane. WHAT A JOKE.
Also seems that the west is keen to get its gas pipeline regardless of the carnage. Even Merkel has hinted she may take Germany to war with Syria although given the German militaries current state it may be with catapults.
https://www.rt.com/news/438676-frenc...nean-missiles/
RT News QUOTE?
The same RT News that broadcasts event descriptions, regular and recent interviews, that are even laughed at by its own residents as they are considered too unbelievable to be true?
Skyjob is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:49
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: London, New York, Paris, Moscow.
Posts: 3,633
Originally Posted by A_Van View Post
Were the Australians around to make such a firm statement?
Yes, it appears quite possible because the Syrian army is not well-trained, but this was during the attack by Israeli AF and a French ship to the Syrian territory. So, both had means to shot down such an easy aerial target.
More data are needed to say anything for sure.
From TASS.

According to Konashenkov, Israel had issued no warning to the command of the Russian military group in Syria of the forthcoming operation.


OR


"A hot-line warning was received less than one minute before the strike, which left no chance for taking the Russian plane to safety," he added.



TASS: Military & Defense - Syria downed Russia's plane because Israeli F-16s used it as cover ? Russian top brass

A lot can happen in 60 seconds.

And it did.
glad rag is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:54
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by Skyjob View Post
RT News QUOTE?
The same RT News that broadcasts event descriptions, regular and recent interviews, that are even laughed at by its own residents as they are considered too unbelievable to be true?
Or the BBC and the rest of Western MSM who seem strangely quiet on Libya, remember that place, it needed democracy, once a functioning society not perfect but now its a shithole or Afghanistan, yes it a lot better now. Or Even Suez, yes, I believe what I am told by Western Media.
DroneDog is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:55
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Belgium/Russia
Age: 38
Posts: 62
Originally Posted by DroneDog View Post
Syrian air defence systems are all Russian made, Russian aircraft appear as 'friendlies' on the radar system' it would never hit a Russian plane. WHAT A JOKE.
Even the Russians are saying that an S-200 shot it down, blaming Israel for creating a dangerous situation and hiding behind Russia's plane. But do keep the conspiracies coming, very entertaining.
JCviggen is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:58
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 671
Originally Posted by DroneDog View Post
The truth hopefully is somewhere in the middle, but if you think I believe western Main Stream Media :-)

https://www.dw.com/en/merkel-calls-f...ion/a-42696954

I don't think the Germans were involved in the action last night. But hey, what's wrong with a bit of catnip to keep the Putinbots happy?
dead_pan is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 08:59
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by JCviggen View Post
Even the Russians are saying that an S-200 shot it down, blaming Israel for creating a dangerous situation and hiding behind Russia's plane. But do keep the conspiracies coming, very entertaining.
I am assuming the Russians have IFF and other similar systems, yes it may well have been being friendly fire, but who to believe, certainly not Western media. Can you say for certain that it was an accident?
DroneDog is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 09:02
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Europe
Posts: 82
Originally Posted by dead_pan View Post
I don't think the Germans were involved in the action last night. But hey, what's wrong with a bit of catnip to keep the Putinbots happy?
Hang on comrade, I nearly spilled my Vodka, I listed two links from German news services backing up my statement that Merkel was considering military action. At no point did I suggest the Germans were involved in last nights military action, but hey let's throw in some more disinformation in an attempt to discredit the source.
DroneDog is offline  
Old 18th Sep 2018, 09:02
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 671
Originally Posted by JCviggen View Post
Even the Russians are saying that an S-200 shot it down, blaming Israel for creating a dangerous situation and hiding behind Russia's plane. But do keep the conspiracies coming, very entertaining.
He has rather embarrassed himself, hasn't he? And the thread is only c20 posts old. He's seemlessly on to a bit of whataboutery now...
dead_pan is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.