Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

RAF Fastjet Flying Nonstop?

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

RAF Fastjet Flying Nonstop?

Old 7th Aug 2018, 18:08
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question RAF Fastjet Flying Nonstop?

Hello All

With seeing the one show last night about the F-35s crossing the Atlantic to the UK. It said the pilots were flying 10 hours nonstop, how does a single seat pilot manage in all that time without being able to move about etc? I thought it bad enough on some uk airlines!!
GLIDER 90 is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 18:33
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Downeast
Age: 74
Posts: 17,678
Received 27 Likes on 21 Posts
How does a Glider Pilot do the same when doing long cross country flights?
SASless is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 18:56
  #3 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grin & bear it!!
GLIDER 90 is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 19:12
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: east ESSEX
Posts: 4,242
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
G90,they obviously didn`t discuss the little known facts about the reclining ejection seat.In a long cruise there is a selector on the side of the seat that will allow the seat to recline 40 degrees back,at the same time,moving the rudder pedals out of the way.The Autopilot is linked to the controlling tanker,so the aircraft will follow it,so that the pilot can have a rest/sleep;there is also an electric blind that will cover the inside of the cockpit,preventing all those nasty cosmic rays.When it`s time for lunch/refuel time ,there is a gentle audio `bing-bong`,but if that doesn`t work,then there is a `seat-shaker` alarm.The blinds are withdrawn and the pilot can then have his lunch,curtesy of a little tray that folds up/down on the cockpit side,and a little white box appears with crispy sandwiches,hard-tack biscuits,chewing gum,and `Walkers crisps`.Also not mentioned is that the pilots also have a `catheter` fitted before flight,and of course a large `nappy` to cater for the inevitable.They can of course program one of the cockpit displays to watch CNN/FOX overseas,or BBC/ITV/SKY,ETC,or connect their Xbox and play games if they are bored.If it`s a night flight,then they can always have an audio bed-time story......
sycamore is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 19:21
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: avro country
Age: 71
Posts: 174
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
G90,they obviously didn`t discuss the little known facts about the reclining ejection seat.In a long cruise there is a selector on the side of the seat that will allow the seat to recline 40 degrees back,at the same time,moving the rudder pedals out of the way.The Autopilot is linked to the controlling tanker,so the aircraft will follow it,so that the pilot can have a rest/sleep;there is also an electric blind that will cover the inside of the cockpit,preventing all those nasty cosmic rays.When it`s time for lunch/refuel time ,there is a gentle audio `bing-bong`,but if that doesn`t work,then there is a `seat-shaker` alarm.The blinds are withdrawn and the pilot can then have his lunch,curtesy of a little tray that folds up/down on the cockpit side,and a little white box appears with crispy sandwiches,hard-tack biscuits,chewing gum,and `Walkers crisps`.Also not mentioned is that the pilots also have a `catheter` fitted before flight,and of course a large `nappy` to cater for the inevitable.They can of course program one of the cockpit displays to watch CNN/FOX overseas,or BBC/ITV/SKY,ETC,or connect their Xbox and play games if they are bored.If it`s a night flight,then they can always have an audio bed-time story......
Sycamore, you forgot to include the inflight "relief service."
Linedog is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 19:29
  #6 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: east ESSEX
Posts: 4,242
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Catheter and nappy,or did you mean set the seat-shaker to `high`...?
sycamore is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 19:44
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 78
Posts: 7,346
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is of note, in this context, that the Corsair had a pull-out tray table under the instrument panel. Useful for in-flight dining, but apparently intended for working with charts.
MPN11 is online now  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 19:50
  #8 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But what about the days with Buccaneers, Lightnings, Phantoms etc that were going to Cyprus or Gan?
GLIDER 90 is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 19:52
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 78
Posts: 7,346
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GLIDER 90 View Post
But what about the days with Buccaneers, Lightnings, Phantoms etc that were going to Cyprus or Gan?
Pee Tube and a Scran Bag, surely?
MPN11 is online now  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 20:25
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 351
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piddle pack and lunchbox. If piddle pack unused, sponge v good for car washing.
57mm is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 21:10
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: london
Posts: 673
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WW2, many Lanc pilots on ops used to kneel on their seat, slide open the window and let the slipstream do the rest. They didn’t trust the tube provided for the use of, due to icing. One would have thought any ice would have melted fairly quickly!
rolling20 is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 21:11
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 6,375
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GLIDER 90 View Post
But what about the days with Buccaneers, Lightnings, Phantoms etc that were going to Cyprus or Gan?
You also had some long missions off QRA..I have a 6hrs 30 (night) F-4 “mission” in the logbook where we got launched with no notice so no sarnies.......that said as I recall it the guys involved in shifting F-4s at various times between the Falkland Islands/Ascension/U.K. clocked some fairly impressive “sectors”...

As was said it was and I guess still is a case of grin and bear it....
wiggy is offline  
Old 7th Aug 2018, 21:38
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 25,696
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Linedog View Post
Sycamore, you forgot to include the inflight "relief service."
Funnily enough, we I believe had a used condom found under the seat after one such flight, it was returned to the said pilot during a dining in night
NutLoose is online now  
Old 8th Aug 2018, 06:18
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 579
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't UK based Tornado deliver weapons during the Libyan thing? There and back?
Harley Quinn is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2018, 07:44
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: london
Posts: 673
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F-111s flew non stop from UK bases to hit Libya in 1986, after the French, Spanish and Italians denied them overflights.
rolling20 is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2018, 08:06
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Brighton
Posts: 898
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Didn't UK based Tornado deliver weapons during the Libyan thing? There and back?
No.

Detached to a base in Italy.
kenparry is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2018, 08:08
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 1999
Location: Quite near 'An aerodrome somewhere in England'
Posts: 26,256
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I seem to recall reading that the emptying of Lancaster Elsans over Berlin resulted in German claims that the RAF was indulging in chemical warfare...
BEagle is online now  
Old 8th Aug 2018, 08:10
  #18 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 79
Posts: 16,775
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is really a question of preparation. You would be foolish to drink endless coffee when on Q or pre-flight. We were encouraged to eat low fat, no beans food before flight. In-flight sarnies were supposed to be bite size.

Of course some catering units, unused to aircrew rations could cock up in spades. In particular, bottles of undiluted squash, hard boiled eggs in shells, oranges, bananas (not much better), cups of tinned mixed fruit.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2018, 08:33
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 1,874
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kenparry View Post
No.

Detached to a base in Italy.
I think IX(B) would disagree with you Ken

Second longest sorties by RAF aircraft.
Kitbag is offline  
Old 8th Aug 2018, 08:43
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: london
Posts: 673
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
Of course some catering units, unused to aircrew rations could cock up in spades. In particular, bottles of undiluted squash, hard boiled eggs in shells, oranges, bananas (not much better), cups of tinned mixed fruit.
I think it was out of Lossiemouth on an Andover, the aircraft was furnished with a delicious platter of sandwiches for the day ahead. The crew I was with enjoyed them so much, the nav wrote a note as a thank you. I assumed from that that flying rations weren't usually up to much?
rolling20 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2022 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.