Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Phantom Friday

Old 26th Mar 2020, 12:14
  #661 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 47
Wrong side of the drag-curve with this, (posted 14 March 2019), but are you sure that is XV406 "M"??

In preparation for a Station Open Day, the Sqn had commisioned hundreds of "Squadron Prints" of the subject aircraft, and the plan was to have it on static display in the hangar; punters could then have their photo taken sat in the actual aircraft and buy a Squadron Print as a souvenir. Nice little earner for Sqn funds.

In the event '406 suffered an engine failure the day before the show and had an engine removed. We towed it across to the "sterile" south side of the airfield and hid it in a revetment. Next, an alternative aircraft is put on static display, fablon over its true markings, get the painters in and, voila, XV406 "M" has a doppelganger (on one side only).
DuncanDoenitz is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2020, 12:21
  #662 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Once a Squirrel Heaven (or hell!), Shropshire UK
Posts: 758
Ahh - the Land of Nod, Actually a farmhouse apporx 1k north east of Holme and one of my favourite targets for the rotary students doing spot nav at 100ft (another was the Ellerside Breast Plantation in the Lake District).
But I do miss the sight and sound of the F4 and Lightning these days - and if truth be said the once heard never forgotten sound of the Voodoo!
Shackman is offline  
Old 27th Mar 2020, 15:05
  #663 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 19,229
Originally Posted by DuncanDoenitz View Post
Wrong side of the drag-curve with this, (posted 14 March 2019), but are you sure that is XV406 "M"??

In preparation for a Station Open Day, the Sqn had commisioned hundreds of "Squadron Prints" of the subject aircraft, and the plan was to have it on static display in the hangar; punters could then have their photo taken sat in the actual aircraft and buy a Squadron Print as a souvenir. Nice little earner for Sqn funds.

In the event '406 suffered an engine failure the day before the show and had an engine removed. We towed it across to the "sterile" south side of the airfield and hid it in a revetment. Next, an alternative aircraft is put on static display, fablon over its true markings, get the painters in and, voila, XV406 "M" has a doppelganger (on one side only).
The final RAF Jaguar print for 20 Sqn is similar, short one jet, nooo problem, borrow one, slap on some masking tape and hey presto a full set.
NutLoose is online now  
Old 28th Mar 2020, 04:54
  #664 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lincs
Posts: 2,274
A blast from the past!

TEEEJ is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2020, 05:24
  #665 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Great South East, tired and retired
Posts: 3,279
I thought the Hush House was for Harriers?

He says "Idle" and the A/B goes to full.
"What RPM you got?"
"50%" as the flames blaze out the back.
I suppose these people are now the Aviation Experts for the BBC TV?
Ascend Charlie is online now  
Old 28th Mar 2020, 12:25
  #666 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Leicestershire, England
Posts: 1,170
Originally Posted by Ascend Charlie View Post
I thought the Hush House was for Harriers?
Why would the Hush House be for Harriers on a Phantom base?

-RP
Rhino power is offline  
Old 28th Mar 2020, 14:31
  #667 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 428
Originally Posted by Rhino power View Post
Why would the Hush House be for Harriers on a Phantom base?

-RP
Don't tell him.... its all hush hush

Perhaps he meant "Hash House Harriers"? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hash_House_Harriers
Vendee is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 11:00
  #668 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 19,229
NutLoose is online now  
Old 3rd Apr 2020, 19:30
  #669 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: manchester
Age: 71
Posts: 19
Phantom run up ramp.

As far as I can remember, the ramp was used because, at Max Mil Power with reheat, the wee beastie was known to vent fuel from the vent pipe under the rudder.
This was why No. 7 tank was locked out and not used.
Buttons in the [starboard wheel well I think] wirelocked shut with something that looked like baling twine.
tremblerman is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2020, 08:33
  #670 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: East Yorkshire
Age: 72
Posts: 77
Reading Post 668 above reminded me of another similar accident I was involved with in the same area. In December 1980 Phantom XV414 crashed about 10 miles north east of Great Yarmouth. The aircraft had been practicing interceptions at night with another Phantom when the crew noticed they had used more fuel than expected. They aborted the sortie and turned to return to Wattisham when the right engine fire warning illuminated and the navigator could see the reflection of a rear fuselage fire in the outer wing panel. The pilot shut down the RH engine but the LH engine fire warning caption then illuminated. The crew ejected and were successfully picked up by a search and rescue helicopter within 30 minutes The aircraft crashed into the sea about 200 yards from a lightship but despite an extensive search no significant wreckage could be found.
Flight Systems at BAe Brough were tasked with providing advice to the Board of Inquiry and we wrote a short report suggesting three possible causes of a major fuel leak and fire. The most probable, we thought was an engine bay fuel feed pipe had fractured or chafed. The bellows of the pipe connecting to the engine backing pump was particularly prone to damage due to chafing from the covering braiding and pressure pulsations in the system when reheat was selected. A second possibility was a fuel pipe on the engine had failed. One of the pipes, I can't remember which, was prone to fatigue failure if the engine was allowed to run out of fuel. The third possibility was a fuselage bag tank failure but we thought this was the least likely as we would have expected it to be progressive and picked up early as a result of fuel leaking from the tank bay drains. The report went off to the B of I and we heard no more for several months.
About 7 months later a local fisherman located the wreckage and, rumour had it, approached MoD and said you give me £X000 and I will give you back the remains of your aircraft. A fair proportion of the wreckage was recovered and dumped in a hangar at RAF Wattisham. I was advised by my boss at the time that an RAF engineering officer was convinced the cause of the accident was a fuselage tank failure. I seem to remember the RAF engineer was called Bob Jones but I can't remember his rank and I never met him. I was asked to go down to Wattisham and have a look at the remains of the aircraft and spent a couple of weeks in the hangar trying to piece together a picture of what happened. I had never done anything like this before but I basically drew out a chalk centreline down the hangar floor, marked out fuselage stations and buttock lines and started looking for bits in the centre and rear fuselage and laying them out in the approximately correct locations. The local BAe rep, who I think would have been Jock Shepherd provided assistance with access to tech pubs and drawings A pretty clear picture emerged in that there were no signs of fire around the front of the engine bay where the suspect feed pipes were placed. However there was clear evidence of a fire in the vented compartment under the tank floors and above the engine bay. I can't remember where the fire appeared to have started but it was probably under tanks 5 or 6. It looked like Bob Jones, if that was his name, was correct. The tank sidewall had probably cracked as a result of fatigue induced by pressure variations in the tank, this had cut or chafed through the rubber bag tank and fuel had leaked in large quantities down into the engine bay. The vented cavity under the tank floors should have been sealed to prevent fuel leaking down this path but it looked like it had found a way through and been ignited by a hot surface on the engine or possibly use of reheat.
Subsequently a mod programme was introduced to fit a liner in the tank bays to protect the bag tanks in the event of cracks developing in the tank structure.
One of the engines in the hangar stank to high heaven as a result of a large crab which had died, lodged up against the front of the LP compressor. I have another souvenir of the incident, although I cant put my hands on it at present. I had to take a colour blindness test to be permitted to drive on the airfield. This was successful and I was presented with a chit, by a probably dyslexic RAF corporal, that said Gareth Jones of British Earospace is approved to drive on Wattisham airfield. I also still have the photos, a selection of which are shown below. I never found out how much the fisherman was paid.
Walbut












walbut is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2020, 11:34
  #671 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 19,229
Want one???

85% completed restoration rebuild so far and up for sale, worlds only potentially flyable private Phantom

see

https://www.platinumfighters.com/phantom2





NutLoose is online now  
Old 18th Apr 2020, 12:15
  #672 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Outside the Fence
Age: 68
Posts: 348
completed restoration rebuild so far and up for sale, worlds only potentially flyable private Phantom
I was under the impression that Hawker Hunter Aviation Ltd (HHA) owns a fully fully airworthy and flyable F4F (Ex GAF)?

Anyone have any updates? i
Dominator2 is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2020, 12:30
  #673 (permalink)  
Green Flash
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
The Collings Foundation has one too https://www.collingsfoundation.org/a.../f-4d-phantom/
 
Old 18th Apr 2020, 13:30
  #674 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Leicestershire, England
Posts: 1,170
Originally Posted by Dominator2 View Post
I was under the impression that Hawker Hunter Aviation Ltd (HHA) owns a fully fully airworthy and flyable F4F (Ex GAF)?

Anyone have any updates? i
They still have their spares/ground trainer (37+89) at Scampton, the 'flyer' (ZK848, ex 38+48) is still in Germany and, I understand, has never flown since retirement in 2012, I'm not even sure if it's had any anti-det runs, the last pics I saw of it, it was in a hangar with something along the lines of 'do not de-mil, private use' scrawled on the side under the cockpit...

-RP
Rhino power is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2020, 13:57
  #675 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Berkshire
Posts: 1,270
Originally Posted by Green Flash View Post
The Collings Foundation has one too https://www.collingsfoundation.org/a.../f-4d-phantom/
The Collings Foundation have had their's for a number of years and were indeed the first civilian (non-mil contract) operated F-4 Phantom in the world.

However, since the fatal crash of their B-17G last October, I'm not sure whether the F-4, or their F100 and A-4 have been flown, and certainly not for paid flights, with their FAA exemption being withdrawn, and not likely to be reinstated without some drastic changes, or maybe never with the likely lawsuits coming in their direction once the report is out.

GeeRam is offline  
Old 9th Jun 2020, 16:28
  #676 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Location: Suffolk
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by 23sq View Post
This is a list of all the Phantom manuals I have in PDF. If any are of use to someone on here I would gladly send copies

AP101B-0900-1A General

AP101B-0900-1B Corrosion Control & Decontamination (Paint)

AP101B-0900-1C Structure, Hydraulics, Bleed Air & Pneumatics

AP101B-0900-1D Flight Controls

AP101B-0900-1E Services Systems

AP101B-0900-1F Air Systems

AP101B-0900-1G Safety & Survival

AP101B-0900-1H Propulsion Systems

AP101B-0900-1J Air Induction System

AP101B-0900-1K Fuel System

AP101B-0900-L Elect Power Supply & Distribution System

AP101B-0900-1M Lighting & Centralised Warning System

AP101B-0900-1N Misc. Instruments

AP101B-0900-1P Air Data Computer Set

AP101B-0900-1Q Automatic Flight Control System

AP101B-0900-1R Armament Systems

AP101B-0900-1Y Materials USA/UK Equivalents

AP101B-0900-1Z List of Publications

AP101B-0900-13 FG1, FGR2& F4-J Modification Lists

AP101B-0901-1B FG1 Communication, Radio Navigation & Identification System

AP101B-0901-1C FG1 Navigation, Flight Director & Bombing Systems

AP101B-0902-1A FGR2 Systems Integration

AP101B-0902-1B FGR2 Communication, Radio Navigation & Identification System

AP101B-0902-1C FGR2 Attitude Reference, Flight Director & LCOSS

AP101B-0902-1E FGR2 Inertial Navigation & Attack System INAS

AP101B-0902-1F FGR2 Reconnaissance Systems

AP101-0900-3A1 Illustrated Parts Manual – Index

AP101-0900-3A2 Illustrated Parts Manual – Airframe

AP101-0900-3A3 Illustrated Parts Manual – Mechanisms, Controls & Ejection Seats

AP101-0900-3A4 Illustrated Parts Manual – Utility, Hydraulics & Pneumatics Systems

AP101-0900-3A5 Illustrated Parts Manual – Instrumentation, Electrical & Electronic Systems

AP101-0900-3A6 Illustrated Parts Manual – Fuel System, Power Plant & Related Systems

AP101-0900-3A7 Illustrated Parts Manual – Special Support Equipment & Armament

AP101-0900-3C/3D Scales of Ground Support Equipment/ Scales of A/C Servicing Spares

AP101B-0900-5A2 Safety & Servicing Notes

AP101B-0900-6A1 SRI – General Information

AP101B-0900-6A2 Structural Repair Instructions (SRI) - Fixed Structure

AP101B-0900-6A3 SRI – Doors & Removable Panels

AP101B-0900-6A4 SRI – Control Surfaces & Removable Structural Components

AP101B-0900-6A5 SRI – Typical Repairs, Repair of Special Structure & Sealing

AP101B-0902-10A1 FGR2 Wiring manual

AP101B-0902-10A2 FGR2 Wiring manual

AP101B-0902-10B1 FGR2 Wiring manual

AP101B-0902-10B2 FGR2 Wiring manual

AP101B-0901-15A FG1 Aircrew Manual

AP101B-0901-15B FG1 Aircrew Weapons Manual

AP101B-0902-15A FGR2 Aircrew Manual

AP101B-0902-15B FGR2 Aircrew Manual – Weapons System

AP101B-0903-1HA F-4J(UK) J79 Principles of Operation

AP101B-0903-1HB F-4J(UK) J79 Testing & Troubleshooting

AP101B-0903-1HC F-4J(UK) J79 System Maintenance

AP101B-0903-15A F-4J(UK) Aircrew Manual

AP102C-2401-1A1, 1A2 & 1A3 J79-GE-8 & -10 Bay Maintenance

AP112F-0701-1 CADC

FG1 & FGR2 Plane Captain’s Handbook

RAF Weapons Course Notes (Early). Mud Mover days and covers Mk5 Seat

RAF Phantom GSE Handbook

MACE report – Phantom Engineering Data Review dated May 1987

DFS Review No96 Phantom 7 year review

AP102C-1101/1102/1105-3A Spey 202/203 Illustrated Parts Catalogue

AP108E-0529-12 PSP Type ZD

AP109B-0137-1 MB Ejection Seat Type 7A General & Technical Information

AP109B-0137-3A MB Ejection Seat Type 7A Parts manual

AP109B-0137-5F MB Ejection Seat Type 7A Bay Maintenance Schedule

AP118M-0501-13 LAU 7A Launcher

American manuals

F4H-1 Structure McDD Pub SEDR 148

F4H-1 Air Induction System

F4 Accident Investigation Workbook

F4 Serial No Conversion Chart

NAVWEPS 01-245FDA-3-1 McDD F4A,B&RF4B Phantom SRI Levels C to F Maint

F4B,C Plane Captain’s HB

F4B,J Ordnanceman’s HB

F4B,J,RF4B Plane Captain’s HB

TO 1F-4C-3-1-1 McDD F4C,D,E&RF4C Phantom SR Org

TO 1F-4C-3-1-2 McDD F4C,D,E&RF4C Phantom Fixed Str

TO 1F-4C-2-8 McDD F4C Phantom Power Plant

TO 1F-4(R)C-1CL-1 RF4C Aircraft Checklist

F4C J-79 Emergency Instructions

McDD Phantom F/RF-4C/D/E Crew Chief’s HB

F4C,D,E Armament Systems HB

TO 1F-4C-1 McDD F4C,D&E Phantom FM

TO 1F-4E-1 McDD F4E Phantom FM

TO 1F-4C-1-2 McDD F4E Phantom Thunderbird Config

F4E Armament HB

TO 1F-4G-1 F4G Wild Weasel Flight Manual

NAVAIR 01-245FDD-1 NATOPS McDD F4J Phantom FM
Can I have AP101B-0901-15B FG1 Aircrew Weapons Manual please?
Williams_World is offline  
Old 10th Jun 2020, 10:00
  #677 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 27
Originally Posted by 23sq View Post
This is a list of all the Phantom manuals I have in PDF. If any are of use to someone on here I would gladly send copies

AP101B-0900-1A General

AP101B-0900-1B Corrosion Control & Decontamination (Paint)

AP101B-0900-1C Structure, Hydraulics, Bleed Air & Pneumatics

AP101B-0900-1D Flight Controls

AP101B-0900-1E Services Systems

AP101B-0900-1F Air Systems

AP101B-0900-1G Safety & Survival

AP101B-0900-1H Propulsion Systems

AP101B-0900-1J Air Induction System

AP101B-0900-1K Fuel System

AP101B-0900-L Elect Power Supply & Distribution System

AP101B-0900-1M Lighting & Centralised Warning System

AP101B-0900-1N Misc. Instruments

AP101B-0900-1P Air Data Computer Set

AP101B-0900-1Q Automatic Flight Control System

AP101B-0900-1R Armament Systems

AP101B-0900-1Y Materials USA/UK Equivalents

AP101B-0900-1Z List of Publications

AP101B-0900-13 FG1, FGR2& F4-J Modification Lists

AP101B-0901-1B FG1 Communication, Radio Navigation & Identification System

AP101B-0901-1C FG1 Navigation, Flight Director & Bombing Systems

AP101B-0902-1A FGR2 Systems Integration

AP101B-0902-1B FGR2 Communication, Radio Navigation & Identification System

AP101B-0902-1C FGR2 Attitude Reference, Flight Director & LCOSS

AP101B-0902-1E FGR2 Inertial Navigation & Attack System INAS

AP101B-0902-1F FGR2 Reconnaissance Systems

AP101-0900-3A1 Illustrated Parts Manual – Index

AP101-0900-3A2 Illustrated Parts Manual – Airframe

AP101-0900-3A3 Illustrated Parts Manual – Mechanisms, Controls & Ejection Seats

AP101-0900-3A4 Illustrated Parts Manual – Utility, Hydraulics & Pneumatics Systems

AP101-0900-3A5 Illustrated Parts Manual – Instrumentation, Electrical & Electronic Systems

AP101-0900-3A6 Illustrated Parts Manual – Fuel System, Power Plant & Related Systems

AP101-0900-3A7 Illustrated Parts Manual – Special Support Equipment & Armament

AP101-0900-3C/3D Scales of Ground Support Equipment/ Scales of A/C Servicing Spares

AP101B-0900-5A2 Safety & Servicing Notes

AP101B-0900-6A1 SRI – General Information

AP101B-0900-6A2 Structural Repair Instructions (SRI) - Fixed Structure

AP101B-0900-6A3 SRI – Doors & Removable Panels

AP101B-0900-6A4 SRI – Control Surfaces & Removable Structural Components

AP101B-0900-6A5 SRI – Typical Repairs, Repair of Special Structure & Sealing

AP101B-0902-10A1 FGR2 Wiring manual

AP101B-0902-10A2 FGR2 Wiring manual

AP101B-0902-10B1 FGR2 Wiring manual

AP101B-0902-10B2 FGR2 Wiring manual

AP101B-0901-15A FG1 Aircrew Manual

AP101B-0901-15B FG1 Aircrew Weapons Manual

AP101B-0902-15A FGR2 Aircrew Manual

AP101B-0902-15B FGR2 Aircrew Manual – Weapons System

AP101B-0903-1HA F-4J(UK) J79 Principles of Operation

AP101B-0903-1HB F-4J(UK) J79 Testing & Troubleshooting

AP101B-0903-1HC F-4J(UK) J79 System Maintenance

AP101B-0903-15A F-4J(UK) Aircrew Manual

AP102C-2401-1A1, 1A2 & 1A3 J79-GE-8 & -10 Bay Maintenance

AP112F-0701-1 CADC

FG1 & FGR2 Plane Captain’s Handbook

RAF Weapons Course Notes (Early). Mud Mover days and covers Mk5 Seat

RAF Phantom GSE Handbook

MACE report – Phantom Engineering Data Review dated May 1987

DFS Review No96 Phantom 7 year review

AP102C-1101/1102/1105-3A Spey 202/203 Illustrated Parts Catalogue

AP108E-0529-12 PSP Type ZD

AP109B-0137-1 MB Ejection Seat Type 7A General & Technical Information

AP109B-0137-3A MB Ejection Seat Type 7A Parts manual

AP109B-0137-5F MB Ejection Seat Type 7A Bay Maintenance Schedule

AP118M-0501-13 LAU 7A Launcher

American manuals

F4H-1 Structure McDD Pub SEDR 148

F4H-1 Air Induction System

F4 Accident Investigation Workbook

F4 Serial No Conversion Chart

NAVWEPS 01-245FDA-3-1 McDD F4A,B&RF4B Phantom SRI Levels C to F Maint

F4B,C Plane Captain’s HB

F4B,J Ordnanceman’s HB

F4B,J,RF4B Plane Captain’s HB

TO 1F-4C-3-1-1 McDD F4C,D,E&RF4C Phantom SR Org

TO 1F-4C-3-1-2 McDD F4C,D,E&RF4C Phantom Fixed Str

TO 1F-4C-2-8 McDD F4C Phantom Power Plant

TO 1F-4(R)C-1CL-1 RF4C Aircraft Checklist

F4C J-79 Emergency Instructions

McDD Phantom F/RF-4C/D/E Crew Chief’s HB

F4C,D,E Armament Systems HB

TO 1F-4C-1 McDD F4C,D&E Phantom FM

TO 1F-4E-1 McDD F4E Phantom FM

TO 1F-4C-1-2 McDD F4E Phantom Thunderbird Config

F4E Armament HB

TO 1F-4G-1 F4G Wild Weasel Flight Manual

NAVAIR 01-245FDD-1 NATOPS McDD F4J Phantom FM

I would be very grateful if you could send me a copy of the Wild Weasel Flight Manual.

Many thanks.

Seer
seer557 is offline  
Old 10th Jun 2020, 10:12
  #678 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 27
23sq

Please clear you PM box - too full to receive new messages.

Seer
seer557 is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2020, 13:33
  #679 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Hampshire
Posts: 289
Phurlough Phriday

Found these going through a box of old photos from my youth and thought I would scan for a Friday - apologies for the quality. Mostly STCAAME visitors with a10TRW roller thrown in. Further apologies to 23, 29, 43 and 64/228OCU.











Last edited by SLXOwft; 12th Jun 2020 at 14:12. Reason: failing memory and typos
SLXOwft is offline  
Old 12th Jun 2020, 17:41
  #680 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Maryland, USA
Posts: 145
Part of a TLP course at Jever, April 1986:

Vzlet is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.