Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

Dam Busters: The Race to Smash the German Dams

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

Dam Busters: The Race to Smash the German Dams

Old 28th May 2012, 22:18
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: .
Posts: 2,179
Dam Busters: The Race to Smash the German Dams

just noticed on BBC2 @ 11:20 i.e. NOW!
Milo Minderbinder is offline  
Old 28th May 2012, 22:34
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Torquay, England
Posts: 838
Just noticed your post, thanks and have now rescheduled 'Yes Prime Minister'

I see that they experimented off of Chesil Beach! Not far from here..
glojo is offline  
Old 28th May 2012, 22:38
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 17,233
Thanks, flicked over.
NutLoose is offline  
Old 28th May 2012, 22:44
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Puken
Posts: 356
8 weeks to develop the bomb?!

It'd be 8 years nowadays!
Farfrompuken is offline  
Old 28th May 2012, 23:26
  #5 (permalink)  

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Northumberland, UK
Age: 57
Posts: 293
Milo, thanks for letting us know.

Interesting and sober programme.

"We went under the wires ... which were just above the bridge"!
Evening Star is offline  
Old 28th May 2012, 23:47
  #6 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: .
Posts: 2,179
now in iPlayer
BBC iPlayer - Timewatch: Dam Busters: The Race to Smash the German Dams

Amazed by the comment
"We were at thirty feet and Les Munro flew underneath..."

and the fact that one aircraft had ten attempts at the Sorpe
Milo Minderbinder is offline  
Old 29th May 2012, 02:03
  #7 (permalink)  
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Derbyshire, England.
Posts: 4,060
From the title I thought we were setting up to have another go?!
parabellum is offline  
Old 29th May 2012, 10:13
  #8 (permalink)  
Cool Mod
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: 18nm N of LGW
Posts: 6,188
Has to be the best presentation of all. Well done James Holland.
PPRuNe Pop is offline  
Old 29th May 2012, 10:43
  #9 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,696
And some shot in the library of the RAF Club
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 29th May 2012, 17:45
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: The Roman Empire
Posts: 2,334
Wouldn't know, never been there......









....but apparently the breakfast is great!






Dambuster programme safely recorded for eventual leisurely enjoyment.

Last edited by Biggus; 29th May 2012 at 17:51.
Biggus is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 12:06
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kammbronn
Posts: 2,020
Nice to see clips of Halifax & Stirling thrown-in for good measure.
diginagain is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 13:35
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Often in Jersey, but mainly in the past.
Age: 75
Posts: 5,746
Originally Posted by diginagain View Post
Nice to see clips of Halifax & Stirling thrown-in for good measure.
... and a Manchester, if my eyes did not deceive me.
However, a very decent summation of Op CHASTISE for the uninitiated.

No mention of a dog.
MPN11 is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 17:05
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: various locales
Posts: 1,579
With the mention of James Holland, please may I bring this to our attention? https://www.patreon.com/wehaveways/p...ag]=Discussion
Green Flash is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 17:38
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kammbronn
Posts: 2,020
Originally Posted by MPN11 View Post

No mention of a dog.
Probably wise at this moment in time...
diginagain is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 17:42
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Kammbronn
Posts: 2,020
Originally Posted by Green Flash View Post
With the mention of James Holland, please may I bring this to our attention? https://www.patreon.com/wehaveways/posts?filters[tag]=Discussion
But why the imitation M65 jacket and Indiana Jones MkVII gas-mask bag?
diginagain is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 19:34
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Hertfordshire
Age: 54
Posts: 781
Originally Posted by Green Flash View Post
With the mention of James Holland, please may I bring this to our attention? https://www.patreon.com/wehaveways/posts?filters[tag]=Discussion
Fantastic Find, the whole lot is here https://play.acast.com/s/wehaveways/...1-57e2090ca3dc
MAINJAFAD is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 20:10
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Great yarmouth, Norfolk UK
Age: 68
Posts: 400
I think this was a repeat showing. Certainly at the end it showed a copy right date of 2001(?)

In any event, a good programme about great aviators!

Thanks BBC
bobward is offline  
Old 31st May 2020, 21:28
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: london
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
And some shot in the library of the RAF Club
Pontius, I daresay like yourself , I am looking forward to getting back into the club again. Last time I was in the library they were doing an index check. Interfered with my snooze somewhat!
rolling20 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 18:18
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: West Sussex
Age: 78
Posts: 4,315
For a Service that counts attaining Air Superiority as a sine qua non, the RAF post WWII seems to have a blind spot regarding the Bombing Offensive against the German Reich. That Holland shares its view is a matter for him, but to suggest that Wallis did too, simply because of Upkeep and Tallboy is really gilding the lily. Harris believed in area bombing true. But what else could take the war to Germany? No amount of pickle barrels could provide precision bombing in any modern sense. Certainly some weapon systems (mainly Wallis's) provided for precision attacks by day but at considerable cost, and even then shared the beneficial effects that Harris's Old Lags achieved by bludgeoning Germany night after night, together with the USAAC by day. The concentration of flak, and day and night fighters, in the Reich denuded the Eastern and later on the Western Fronts of Air Defence. That slippery charmer, Speer, admitted it was the second front, so by D-Day we are talking four fronts, and counting.

Bomber Command was a war winning weapon system, achieving air superiority in the East and the West for the Allies, and finally in the skies above Germany itself. Harris may have believed that Strategic Bombing could win the war alone, he certainly implied that it might, but he had to fire the bellies of those Old Lags that he sent out night after night with resolve. He was poorly treated by Churchill and by his own Service. 55573 of his command paid the ultimate price, but not in vain. You don't win wars by being nice, you do so by destroying your enemy's ability to wage war. That is what drove Harris and he should be given the credit for his share in final victory.

As to the programme (first tx in 2011 I believe), very good, but could be better I'd say simply by praising Upkeep without the knee jerk need to damn the Bombing Offensive (though the Beeb will never do otherwise I fear).

Last edited by Chugalug2; 1st Jun 2020 at 18:30.
Chugalug2 is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2020, 20:41
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: london
Posts: 561
Originally Posted by Chugalug2 View Post
For a Service that counts attaining Air Superiority as a sine qua non, the RAF post WWII seems to have a blind spot regarding the Bombing Offensive against the German Reich. That Holland shares its view is a matter for him, but to suggest that Wallis did too, simply because of Upkeep and Tallboy is really gilding the lily. Harris believed in area bombing true. But what else could take the war to Germany? No amount of pickle barrels could provide precision bombing in any modern sense. Certainly some weapon systems (mainly Wallis's) provided for precision attacks by day but at considerable cost, and even then shared the beneficial effects that Harris's Old Lags achieved by bludgeoning Germany night after night, together with the USAAC by day. The concentration of flak, and day and night fighters, in the Reich denuded the Eastern and later on the Western Fronts of Air Defence. That slippery charmer, Speer, admitted it was the second front, so by D-Day we are talking four fronts, and counting.

Bomber Command was a war winning weapon system, achieving air superiority in the East and the West for the Allies, and finally in the skies above Germany itself. Harris may have believed that Strategic Bombing could win the war alone, he certainly implied that it might, but he had to fire the bellies of those Old Lags that he sent out night after night with resolve. He was poorly treated by Churchill and by his own Service. 55573 of his command paid the ultimate price, but not in vain. You don't win wars by being nice, you do so by destroying your enemy's ability to wage war. That is what drove Harris and he should be given the credit for his share in final victory.

As to the programme (first tx in 2011 I believe), very good, but could be better I'd say simply by praising Upkeep without the knee jerk need to damn the Bombing Offensive (though the Beeb will never do otherwise I fear).
John Strachey, who Harris tried to have removed from his post at the Directorate of Bombing Operations due to his communist leanings, was the post war Under Secretary of State for Air and is assumed to have snubbed Harris for an honour and thus BC as a whole. Harris was determined to continue his way and that way was lost after the Battle of Berlin. When BC came under the control of Eisenhower in April 44 it achieved great success in destroying transportation and invasion targets. It has long been held that Harris should have been dismissed in the winter of 44, when he returned to the destruction of cities, but there was not the political will to do so. Air superiority in the west won by the USAAF with their long range Mustangs and the attrition of the German day fighter force. So what of the men who flew and died for BC? My family and my wife's family lost members in the service of BC. My adjutant was an X BC man. No one can or should attempt to tarnish their resolve and courage. To go and fly night after night in the face of overwhelming odds, in my opinion ,should mean everyone of them deserves a VC.
rolling20 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.