Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Aircrew Forums > Military Aviation
Reload this Page >

OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!

Military Aviation A forum for the professionals who fly military hardware. Also for the backroom boys and girls who support the flying and maintain the equipment, and without whom nothing would ever leave the ground. All armies, navies and air forces of the world equally welcome here.

OFFICER and AIRCREW 'CANDIDATES' PLEASE READ THIS THREAD FIRST!

Old 15th Aug 2019, 16:52
  #1161 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southampton
Posts: 6
Is that 7 direct entrants in October?
AirCon5 is offline  
Old 20th Aug 2019, 08:26
  #1162 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: England
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by AirCon5 View Post
Is that 7 direct entrants in October?
Correct, 3 "Pilot, 4 "RPAS"
Flopgun is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2019, 09:05
  #1163 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southampton
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Flopgun View Post
Correct, 3 "Pilot, 4 "RPAS"
Thanks for the info, I wonder how long these people have been waiting to get one of those slots. This year has been the worst for a while it seems.
AirCon5 is offline  
Old 25th Aug 2019, 22:13
  #1164 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: England
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by AirCon5 View Post
Thanks for the info, I wonder how long these people have been waiting to get one of those slots. This year has been the worst for a while it seems.
It'll be 2 years 2 months when I walk through the door, I know others have waited mich longer and some have just walked in. But it depends on scores, I got rejected the first time so that set me back.
Flopgun is offline  
Old 27th Aug 2019, 13:01
  #1165 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Ibstock
Posts: 29
question...

Last edited by Countdown begins; 3rd Dec 2019 at 21:23.
Countdown begins is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2019, 08:12
  #1166 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southampton
Posts: 6
Do you think ages has anything to do with it? Surely some people might be too old but the time they've finished their stint waiting. Maybe they get pushed through?
AirCon5 is offline  
Old 29th Aug 2019, 08:18
  #1167 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Southampton
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Flopgun View Post
It'll be 2 years 2 months when I walk through the door, I know others have waited mich longer and some have just walked in. But it depends on scores, I got rejected the first time so that set me back.
Congrats on the offer by the way. When you say 2 years 2 months, is that since walking through the AFCO's door or a later stage? Over 2 years from starting application to getting in still seems exceptionally long, but maybe it is standard over the past few years.
AirCon5 is offline  
Old 2nd Oct 2019, 18:24
  #1168 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dorset
Age: 22
Posts: 50
Hi all,

Don't post on here often but thought I would for once. Long story short I initially applied to the RAF around two and a half years ago for Pilot/WSO, went off to Cranwell and passed CBAT for all roles. Next was my filter interview, at which point the Sgt who held the interview suggested that I come back in three months to do it again, as he felt that I didn't have the necessary 'life experience' to make it through the latter stage of OASC being 18 at the time. Anyway got busy working at Jaguar and applied again a month or so ago, but this time, whilst booked at the AFCO for my P2 presentation next week, they would like me to complete the Airman Selection Test despite not applying for any airman roles - is this standard practice now from anyone else's experience? Assuming it filters out anyone who doesn't make the grade without the expense of sending them up to Lincolnshire?

Thanks,
Hawk
Hawk98 is offline  
Old 3rd Oct 2019, 18:41
  #1169 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Over the hills and far away
Posts: 51
Hi Hawk, was your age and had the same options given to me, although about 40 years ago.
Although I had passed Pilot/Nav I was asked if I would like to take the NCO Aircrew selection tests.
36-years later having spent a career in the back end of a noisy aircraft I retired having had a mostly
rewarding and enjoyable career. I think it gives the selectors more options especially as nowadays the
number of places available are so few.
Radley is offline  
Old 5th Oct 2019, 11:54
  #1170 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Hawk98 View Post
whilst booked at the AFCO for my P2 presentation next week, they would like me to complete the Airman Selection Test despite not applying for any airman roles - is this standard practice now from anyone else's experience?
Yes. It now gives the AFCO greater knowledge of your potential if you are not suited to your first choice.
Bugs to forty is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2019, 11:12
  #1171 (permalink)  
NDW
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: England
Age: 28
Posts: 331
Originally Posted by Hawk98 View Post
Hi all,

Don't post on here often but thought I would for once. Long story short I initially applied to the RAF around two and a half years ago for Pilot/WSO, went off to Cranwell and passed CBAT for all roles. Next was my filter interview, at which point the Sgt who held the interview suggested that I come back in three months to do it again, as he felt that I didn't have the necessary 'life experience' to make it through the latter stage of OASC being 18 at the time. Anyway got busy working at Jaguar and applied again a month or so ago, but this time, whilst booked at the AFCO for my P2 presentation next week, they would like me to complete the Airman Selection Test despite not applying for any airman roles - is this standard practice now from anyone else's experience? Assuming it filters out anyone who doesn't make the grade without the expense of sending them up to Lincolnshire?

Thanks,
Hawk
When I first applied for WSOp back in 2010, WSOp use to be part of the Airman Selection Test along with SNCO ATC etc.

Not sure if they'd ever reintroduce that (of if they have) but when I sat my AST (granted a year ago) there was no indication they had.

Best of luck.
NDW is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2019, 14:13
  #1172 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Llandudno
Age: 96
Posts: 120
Joined up on 9 March 1942, my eighteenth birthday. Two weeks later interviewed in Birmingham, medical and number. Told to go home and await instructions. Finally called to Air Crew Receiving Centre. (Aceyarsesee). At Lords Cricket Ground on
23 November 1942. Six weeks in London, drill, drill, more drill. Uniform tailored,!!. Lectures etc, before ITW in Newquay on 8 January 1943. So even in wartime there were delays. Happy days!
Ormeside28 is offline  
Old 8th Oct 2019, 16:26
  #1173 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dorset
Age: 22
Posts: 50
Thanks for the replies chaps, pleased to say I passed the AST today for all roles and will be heading back to Cranwell at the tail end of this month for more CBAT related fun!
Hawk98 is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 11:19
  #1174 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The sky mainly
Posts: 274
MEDICAL

Are the initial aircrew medicals still carried out at Cranwell by RAF doctors, or has this been passed back to AFCO's to arrange with local surgeries?
Sky Sports is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2019, 14:47
  #1175 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Dorset
Age: 22
Posts: 50
Still at Cranwell for aircrew, upstairs in the OASC building (unless anything’s changed from last month) 👍
Hawk98 is offline  
Old 8th Feb 2020, 08:40
  #1176 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The sky mainly
Posts: 274
One day OASC

Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on the new one day OASC that was introduced last September? Is it working in terms of selecting the right candidates, compared to the old OASC? Is the percentage pass rate the same as before?
Secondly, how many pilots are being taken on at the moment? Has the number risen from the low numbers mentioned in post #1162?

Thanks in advance.
Sky Sports is offline  
Old 8th Feb 2020, 16:42
  #1177 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: UK
Posts: 17
I know that there's only 3 pilots on the January IOT and 3 on the March IOT
Not looking good...
The...Bird is offline  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 06:55
  #1178 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 46
OASC 1-Day Board

Originally Posted by Sky Sports View Post
Hi all,

I was wondering if anybody had any feedback on the new one day OASC that was introduced last September? Is it working in terms of selecting the right candidates, compared to the old OASC? Is the percentage pass rate the same as before?
Secondly, how many pilots are being taken on at the moment? Has the number risen from the low numbers mentioned in post #1162?

Thanks in advance.
The 1-Day Board has been a very timely overhaul and little has changed in the methodology of how candidates are selected.
“Percentage pass rate” is irrelevant because it depends on the branches chosen and the annual ITT.
Pilot numbers may still appear low but need to increase very soon to meet demand.
Bugs to forty is offline  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 12:02
  #1179 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: The sky mainly
Posts: 274
Pilot numbers may still appear low but need to increase very soon to meet demand.
The number of pilots loaded onto IOT will probably still stay low until the 350 officers on hold awaiting courses is reduced!
Sky Sports is offline  
Old 10th Feb 2020, 14:10
  #1180 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: UK
Posts: 46
Originally Posted by Sky Sports View Post
The number of pilots loaded onto IOT will probably still stay low until the 350 officers on hold awaiting courses is reduced!
Reduced, yes, but not that long now because not all holding pilots are at the same stage.
Bugs to forty is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.