Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Lets go to EK! maybe...

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Lets go to EK! maybe...

Old 14th Jan 2022, 06:55
  #121 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: up north
Posts: 306
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fatbus
What were you told when you were made redundant?
Basically what everybody were told in different ways;
We'll get you back whenever possible.
It took me one week to realize that was crap anyway.

Giuff is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2022, 07:47
  #122 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Changes
Posts: 217
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A guy handed me a brown envelope and said ‘I’m sure you know what this is about’ and that was it. That was the last I heard from EK. Not a single phone call to check we were ok, or a letter of apology, concern for employees was and is zero. Disgusting treatment. Yet we were all part of a valued ‘team’ …..don’t make me laugh!

A few A380 guys, a very few, were called back. Not 1 single 777 pilot has been recalled…..none!

Anyone who has a job currently and applying to join Emirates or Qatar and the like at the moment must have a screw loose. You can see how they treat employees, and how they not only dumped senior employees but new joiners who had not finished training in an instant. Would you risk that with a family, moving them to the Middle East when you could be on the next boat home at the next whim of management?

If you are out of work and single I can understand it’s a job and it’s desperate times, but anyone currently employed or with a family, do have a long read of what they did in the past, and will do again at the drop of a hat.

Last edited by Fired600; 14th Jan 2022 at 08:06.
Fired600 is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2022, 08:44
  #123 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Malta
Posts: 16
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fired600
A guy handed me a brown envelope and said ‘I’m sure you know what this is about’ and that was it. That was the last I heard from EK. Not a single phone call to check we were ok, or a letter of apology, concern for employees was and is zero. Disgusting treatment. Yet we were all part of a valued ‘team’ …..don’t make me laugh!

A few A380 guys, a very few, were called back. Not 1 single 777 pilot has been recalled…..none!

Anyone who has a job currently and applying to join Emirates or Qatar and the like at the moment must have a screw loose. You can see how they treat employees, and how they not only dumped senior employees but new joiners who had not finished training in an instant. Would you risk that with a family, moving them to the Middle East when you could be on the next boat home at the next whim of management?

If you are out of work and single I can understand it’s a job and it’s desperate times, but anyone currently employed or with a family, do have a long read of what they did in the past, and will do again at the drop of a hat.
Surprising what you wrote, as I know 777 guys recalled, 380 guys recalled (not all of them), and even guys that were on initial training recalled with a start date within few weeks from now, and a close friend that was waiting for an induction date has been contacted too in order to know if he is still interested to join.


FlyingBE is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2022, 10:50
  #124 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 292
Likes: 0
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingBE
Surprising what you wrote, as I know 777 guys recalled, 380 guys recalled (not all of them), and even guys that were on initial training recalled with a start date within few weeks from now, and a close friend that was waiting for an induction date has been contacted too in order to know if he is still interested to join.
i know a punch of people - not a single word sofar
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2022, 13:12
  #125 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: uae
Posts: 2,777
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unfortunately many have learned the hard ME lesson , don't trust a ME carrier. Most if not all " managers" are strictly poppets for the locals . Do their dirty work . I've been on both sides of it . I do hope the industry comes back in time for all to rebound .
fatbus is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2022, 15:39
  #126 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fired600
A guy handed me a brown envelope and said ‘I’m sure you know what this is about’ and that was it. That was the last I heard from EK. Not a single phone call to check we were ok, or a letter of apology, concern for employees was and is zero. Disgusting treatment. Yet we were all part of a valued ‘team’ …..don’t make me laugh!

A few A380 guys, a very few, were called back. Not 1 single 777 pilot has been recalled…..none!

Anyone who has a job currently and applying to join Emirates or Qatar and the like at the moment must have a screw loose. You can see how they treat employees, and how they not only dumped senior employees but new joiners who had not finished training in an instant. Would you risk that with a family, moving them to the Middle East when you could be on the next boat home at the next whim of management?

If you are out of work and single I can understand it’s a job and it’s desperate times, but anyone currently employed or with a family, do have a long read of what they did in the past, and will do again at the drop of a hat.
I personally know of 10 A380 drivers who were recalled, and I don't even work for EK.
T54A is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2022, 16:18
  #127 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Changes
Posts: 217
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by T54A
I personally know of 10 A380 drivers who were recalled, and I don't even work for EK.
And how many were made redundant ……..well over over 1000 so that 1% at best …..Whoopie
Fired600 is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2022, 17:48
  #128 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fired600
And how many were made redundant ……..well over over 1000 so that 1% at best …..Whoopie
Normally I hate to state the obvious, but for you I'll make an exception. I only know about 20 people who were at EK. 15 of those were made redundant, and about 10 of those have been recalled. I obviously didn't know all 1000 pilots who were made redundant.
T54A is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2022, 19:46
  #129 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2020
Location: Changes
Posts: 217
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
T54A …..
You obviously know much more than I do. After all I only worked for them for many years, and you worked for them for ……?

Were the ones you know fired or were they on unpaid leave? Even based on your limited sample size 1/3 of the people made redundant are still redundant, equating to hundreds and hundreds of pilots and families. In the meantime they hire new crew. Great loyalty no matter how you frame it.

If you are looking at joining then good luck, but don’t come complaining in ‘x’ years when it turns on you.

Last edited by Fired600; 14th Jan 2022 at 20:51.
Fired600 is offline  
Old 14th Jan 2022, 21:06
  #130 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Earth
Posts: 219
Likes: 0
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by T54A
Normally I hate to state the obvious, but for you I'll make an exception. I only know about 20 people who were at EK. 15 of those were made redundant, and about 10 of those have been recalled. I obviously didn't know all 1000 pilots who were made redundant.
Same I only know 15 people who were at EK. 3 777 are back. The other 12 a380 peeps I know 6 for sure are back, FOs.

Yes its crap from EK but I was actually more surprised by the likes of BA and Virgin.

I know for sure a dozen guys/gals at least from my previous outfit have thrown the towel in on aviation completely. Some only a year in the industry some 25 years. Brutal times not getting better anytime soon.

Unless you have a magical green card.
AIMINGHIGH123 is online now  
Old 15th Jan 2022, 02:24
  #131 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: uae
Posts: 2,777
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fired600, I hate to be the bearer of bad news but 777 pilots are being recalled and a whole bunch of 380 pilots . You need to face reality and deal with the facts that many , including you , are not getting the call. Sorry mate those are the facts . 2001-2019 before covid
fatbus is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2022, 06:09
  #132 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2021
Location: Southern Hemisphere
Posts: 54
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Fired600
T54A …..
You obviously know much more than I do. After all I only worked for them for many years, and you worked for them for ……?

Were the ones you know fired or were they on unpaid leave? Even based on your limited sample size 1/3 of the people made redundant are still redundant, equating to hundreds and hundreds of pilots and families. In the meantime they hire new crew. Great loyalty no matter how you frame it.

If you are looking at joining then good luck, but don’t come complaining in ‘x’ years when it turns on you.
Fired, I say the following with genuine compassion. Let it go. You are bitter and it's eating you alive. You spend every day trolling forums about a company you no longer work for. You are not alone in this dog show. I worked for 18 years at my previous employer. I have 15000 hrs and I'm rated on A320, A330, A340, A350. I was cast out like a bad dog and was payed one quarter of what my contract said I should get. I'm married with two kids. Just like you, I'm just trying to survive. I will take what ever job comes along, work my ass off, and look for something better if it comes along. I have peace with my circumstances and I suggest you do the same. Good luck.
T54A is offline  
Old 15th Jan 2022, 12:21
  #133 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fired600, I also know quite a few guys who have been called back. Cpts that were called back were all on 380 and fo’s were from both fleets.
Luckily, I found a super nice flying job outside the ME and I couldn’t be more happy…Getting up every morning with a huge smile on my face with my family telling me i’m like a newborn…
Pretty sure if you are over 40 or so and you had any sort of sickness in the past, they will not call you back! HAH and AAR, just to name a few, will never admit they made a mistake by draining so much experience during covid…They couldn’t care less…
One can see the nett result already, and surely they are making a fool of themselves to the whole aviation world with their latest stints in aviation…
As Fatbus said, holes are lining up

So glad this nightmare in the M.E. is over for me. Never ever again.
Broaden your scan…there are flying opportunities popping up everywhere.

Good luck to you and anyone hanging around here! But never forget what they did to us!

5star.
5star is offline  
Old 16th Jan 2022, 03:11
  #134 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 770
Likes: 0
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It would appear that trainers on the 380 are working flat out to get colleagues flying back on the line, which gives an indication that there are more than just a few rejoining at present!

Fired 600 - Just to confirm that there have been no pilots that have joined during the pandemic who were not employed previously, which is different to what I think you are alluding to with 'new crew' joining.
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 16th Jan 2022, 05:32
  #135 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: overthere
Posts: 3,042
Received 30 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Emma Royds
It would appear that trainers on the 380 are working flat out to get colleagues flying back on the line, which gives an indication that there are more than just a few rejoining at present!

Fired 600 - Just to confirm that there have been no pilots that have joined during the pandemic who were not employed previously, which is different to what I think you are alluding to with 'new crew' joining.
All of the leave without pay fellas and lasses are back online.
20 ex redundant fellas and lasses starting course every Sunday on the Bus. Courses have been happening for a few months. And are planned like that for many months to come.

A true credit to all those concerned with their attitude towards rejoining and how quickly they are regaining their skills.

This covid has been life changing for many. Great to hear about your new gig 5 star. I hope you are doing OK fired600.
donpizmeov is offline  
Old 16th Jan 2022, 09:56
  #136 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by donpizmeov
All of the leave without pay fellas and lasses are back online.
20 ex redundant fellas and lasses starting course every Sunday on the Bus. Courses have been happening for a few months. And are planned like that for many months to come.

A true credit to all those concerned with their attitude towards rejoining and how quickly they are regaining their skills.

This covid has been life changing for many. Great to hear about your new gig 5 star. I hope you are doing OK fired600.
Thank you Donpizmeov.

The striking thing on my interview was to hear...' We can't believe they were so dumb @EK to let go of so many experienced guys...but it's exactly what we need 🥳''. Got my 15 days off per month, flying worldwide and a payslip not that much below EK's...
Good luck to anyone that was binned in 2020! Never give up!
5star is offline  
Old 16th Jan 2022, 12:36
  #137 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 773
Received 42 Likes on 13 Posts
People (pilots!) always want to believe their version of the truth which normally incorporates big shiny aircraft as some aspirant goal and justification for their career. My experience with EK is that they can certainly supply many hours of aforementioned wide body time but a very large chance of not surviving the experienced unscathed. Even if you are a latter day Chuck Yeager there is always an opportunity for it to go horribly wrong either because of what would have been a trivial issue to completely blameless but nevertheless the dreaded warning letter could still arrive. It may have been repeated time after time but they really are a ruthless, amoral, horrible bunch of people that run EK and the expression caveat emptor will apply.
olster is offline  
Old 16th Jan 2022, 23:37
  #138 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: uae
Posts: 2,777
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Olster , couldn't agree more mate !
fatbus is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2022, 06:51
  #139 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Timbucktwo
Posts: 30
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FlyingBE
Surprising what you wrote, as I know 777 guys recalled, 380 guys recalled (not all of them), and even guys that were on initial training recalled with a start date within few weeks from now, and a close friend that was waiting for an induction date has been contacted too in order to know if he is still interested to join.
No B777 line pilots that where made redundant have been recalled and its unlikely that any will in the near future, unfairly approx 40 new F/Os who where in training have been recalled first at a time when EK needs experienced guys. I didn't receive a brown package or meeting as one of the trusted few hundred that flew up till June 2020, but a phone call killed my world, one expensive operation, OPC/LPC reports I'll share with anyone, at that time I knew of loads of guys sitting on sim fails, line issues, a lot of guys in my joining group had extra training or line issues but all got put back online after not flying in March April or May 2020. Who would you prefer flying your aircraft, I seen guys in front of me who where trainers with 20 yrs experience heading back to the UK with knowledge that was invaluable, lost now and I simmed with some of these guys and flew with them and they where the best, and I will not comment on some others.
escapedATCO is offline  
Old 18th Jan 2022, 12:12
  #140 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Europe
Posts: 329
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yep…sad but true…

A very experienced gentleman TRE on the 777, who transitioned to the A380 late 2019 paid the ultimate price…Put in all his efforts and finished linetraining only to be sent home with a one-way ticket. The guys in Seattle did take notice and offered him a job with Boeing straight away….

At least our treatment might aid the guys and girls considering joining…They won’t be able to claim they weren’t warned…
5star is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.