Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Job satisfaction in Qatar Airways

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Job satisfaction in Qatar Airways

Old 15th May 2018, 07:10
  #41 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Miami
Age: 55
Posts: 246
Well, in Qatar airways if they quit you is usually for a reason, otherwise, if you do your job in a professional way, nobody will ever say a thing, all the termination in the past happened after a series of events related to the individuals, the last case is a bit of an exception, the two guys on the A350 that stayed 49 minutes without listening to the radio over Europe and if I'm not wrong, have been intercepted by some fighters but similar cases happened in emirates and other me airlines as well and they ended up with some warning letters or something. True that there's a busy turnaround, like everywhere else at the moment but there are pilots that joined 18 years ago and are still here.
Jack330 is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 14:41
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: There where the eagles dare
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by Jack330 View Post
Well, in Qatar airways if they quit you is usually for a reason, otherwise, if you do your job in a professional way, nobody will ever say a thing, all the termination in the past happened after a series of events related to the individuals, the last case is a bit of an exception, the two guys on the A350 that stayed 49 minutes without listening to the radio over Europe and if I'm not wrong, have been intercepted by some fighters but similar cases happened in emirates and other me airlines as well and they ended up with some warning letters or something. True that there's a busy turnaround, like everywhere else at the moment but there are pilots that joined 18 years ago and are still here.

I am am sorry but I disagree..!! The number of pilots left or currently leaving its many times more than those few staying.. I wonder if anyone is monitoring the cost of this continuous process.. quitting 7 captain per day and I mean quitting not fired that a lot..!!
Adolf Galland is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 16:21
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by Adolf Galland View Post

I am am sorry but I disagree..!! The number of pilots left or currently leaving its many times more than those few staying.. I wonder if anyone is monitoring the cost of this continuous process.. quitting 7 captain per day and I mean quitting not fired that a lot..!!
Where do you get that number of 7 per day?
That is 35 per week, or 140 per month or 1680 per year. QR would only have about 2-2200 Captians at any one time (I will try and find out an exact number). So almost the entire CPT population turns over in a year? Either way, I think your numbers are grossly exagerated.
The reason I say that is because the Master Roster does not reflect your statement. I watch the Master Roster on the A320, and you would be lucky if you counted 7 Captains leaving over a couple of months let alone every day.
IBE8720 is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 16:35
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: There where the eagles dare
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by IBE8720 View Post
Where do you get that number of 7 per day?
That is 35 per week, or 140 per month or 1780 per year. QR would only have about 2-2200 Captians at any one time (I will try and find out an exact number). So almost the entire CPT population turns over in a year? Either way, I think your numbers are grossly exagerated.
The reason I say that is because the Master Roster does not reflect your statement. I watch the Master Roster on the A320, and you would be lucky if you counted 7 Captains leaving over a couple of months let alone every day.
7 per day recently, the last couple of weeks,I am not suggesting the numbers you calculated.I have no access to such info as master roster personally however there is a constant movement of pilots in and out of the company that is out of normal proportions.
WHY? All of them bad professionals?
Adolf Galland is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 17:11
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: York
Posts: 122
Half the time what people post on this forum is pure speculation, even 'knowing a mate' who works for the company is hardly factual information... I guess it's a rumour network after all!

7 pilot resignations a day is pure nonsense though... yes you tend to find people come to the Middle East/Qatar for a finite period of time, get what they need and leave... but since I've been in the company ... resignations haven't been as high as what I was lead to believe. And besides its regularly said that you find certain nationalities tend to stay - they have nowhere else to go - they are from war-torn or third world countries where safety is an issue or the pay just damm low.
bananaman2 is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 18:19
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 21
Adolf... what are you smoking??? Looking at the master roster for the entire fleet, there are about 10 guys who have resigned/terminated/retired this month. I have been keeping an eye on this for a while and it's about 7-10 a month... not a day! Overall, its pretty good over here. Depending on which fleet you are on and how you bid can determine the lifestyle you have. Doha isn't the most exciting place on earth but if you make an effort to make a few friends outside of QR, it's not too bad. Different strokes for different folks i guess......
wannabejetpilot is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 22:25
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: At home
Posts: 45
Hi guys

how is the roster on B777 for FO’s ,?????
how many hours a month?
how many LR and ULR flights?

cheers.
dhc8d is offline  
Old 15th May 2018, 22:31
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by Adolf Galland View Post


7 per day recently, the last couple of weeks,I am not suggesting the numbers you calculated.I have no access to such info as master roster personally however there is a constant movement of pilots in and out of the company that is out of normal proportions.
WHY? All of them bad professionals?
once again i ask, where are you getting yor highly exaggerated/inflated numbers from then?
If you donít have access to the Master Roster, than you donít work at QR.
Probably from EK, and trying to bring QR down to make your own life more tolerable. You should join, its a good job.

And if 1700 Captains were resigning per year as you suggest, why are they stopping DEC recruitment for the remainder of the year?
IBE8720 is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 04:39
  #49 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Doha
Posts: 215
4 EK captains interviewing in QR this week. That pretty much sums it all up.

OW

PS ď7 quitting per dayĒ havenít read so much BS in my life...

Last edited by FlyingOW; 16th May 2018 at 10:05.
FlyingOW is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 09:01
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Shahjahanpur
Posts: 96
If the number of people quitting is more than the ones joining then there ought to be problems in the company. I mean that is common sense.
hitansh is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 09:42
  #51 (permalink)  
Drain Bamaged
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Earth
Age: 52
Posts: 433
Originally Posted by Adolf Galland View Post



I am am sorry but I disagree..!! The number of pilots left or currently leaving its many times more than those few staying.. I wonder if anyone is monitoring the cost of this continuous process.. quitting 7 captain per day and I mean quitting not fired that a lot..!!
You write this thing without even thinking twice of the enormity of your statement (to stay polite)
ehwatezedoing is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 10:01
  #52 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: There where the eagles dare
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by wannabejetpilot View Post
Adolf... what are you smoking??? Looking at the master roster for the entire fleet, there are about 10 guys who have resigned/terminated/retired this month. I have been keeping an eye on this for a while and it's about 7-10 a month... not a day! Overall, its pretty good over here. Depending on which fleet you are on and how you bid can determine the lifestyle you have. Doha isn't the most exciting place on earth but if you make an effort to make a few friends outside of QR, it's not too bad. Different strokes for different folks i guess......

I am not smoking (not nice) by the way.. sorry I must understood wrong 7 a month it is then..!! Is this ok for the size of the Airline? (7 pilots per month in Lufthansa it would be impossible)alright guys I am pulling out ..my apologies, I didnít mean to upset you but there are a lot of rumours out there..where there is no smoke there is no fire...Have a good time down there but be careful the big brothers itís watching and it might call you at the office to ďpull your earĒ..or give you a letter for nothing and this is not a rumour it is the reality..!! Good day to all of you and happy landings.
Adolf Galland is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 10:07
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: There where the eagles dare
Posts: 6
Originally Posted by ehwatezedoing View Post
You write this thing without even thinking twice of the enormity of your statement (to stay polite)
Apologies it was a mistake 7 per month that is..!!sorry for upsetting you sir... still I feel itís a lot..
Adolf Galland is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 13:01
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Mediterranean
Posts: 143
7 resignations a day? You better return from that Amsterdam layover quickly mate Hahaha!

As long as you stay updated, follow the rules and fly the airplane properly, treat people with respect despite cultural differences and use common sense, no one is going to sack you. If you get called after a bad day and can show that you tried to stick to the book and used common sense, they'll thank you and close the case.
People are nice, money and rosters are very competitive, schools etc are good. Not a bad gig at all in my opinion.
Many friends went to Norwegian but will have to come back soon due to the economical situation of Norwegian.
APU_inop is offline  
Old 16th May 2018, 23:16
  #55 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Spain
Posts: 129
Originally Posted by Adolf Galland View Post
Apologies it was a mistake 7 per month that is..!!sorry for upsetting you sir... still I feel itís a lot..
7 per month, so 1 pilot of each fleet per month?
So 84 per year, out of over 3,000. So less than 3% attrtition per year?
5-10% per year is what is expected.

A recruiter in EK told me there attrition rate is 5% per month.
So can I now ask, what is your point other than just embarrassing yourself?
IBE8720 is offline  
Old 17th May 2018, 01:11
  #56 (permalink)  
JV
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: planet earth
Posts: 42
Information about one former colleague and good acquaintance.

North American pilot who lost his job in a bankruptcy.
Goes to large and well known asian carrier with a very high profile and good reputation for a number of years, leaves just before the carrier kicks out all of the expats.
Works for another large asian carrier, known to be a little rough on their foreign employees and has a constant intake of foreigners because they all seem to leave.
Leaves for Qatar.
Says it's OK, but pollution is a problem.
States that this will be his last gig.

All in all, I get the impression from him that it is an OK job, not a lousy job, but not a great job either.
JV is offline  
Old 17th May 2018, 09:13
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: UK
Posts: 21
Originally Posted by IBE8720 View Post


7 per month, so 1 pilot of each fleet per month?
So 84 per year, out of over 3,000. So less than 3% attrtition per year?
5-10% per year is what is expected.

A recruiter in EK told me there attrition rate is 5% per month.
So can I now ask, what is your point other than just embarrassing yourself?
For the 2017/2018 financial year, we had 128 pilots who resigned/retired/terminated on all fleets combined. It could have been less if the blockade didn't happen. So considering we are almost at 3900 pilots now, that's a pretty decent retention rate for a ME carrier I would think.
wannabejetpilot is offline  
Old 18th May 2018, 09:26
  #58 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Shahjahanpur
Posts: 96
And now they are bonding pilots with their MPL Program(cadet Pilot). That is a good move to retain and exploit.
hitansh is offline  
Old 19th May 2018, 01:07
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Anchorage
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by IBE8720 View Post


once again i ask, where are you getting yor highly exaggerated/inflated numbers from then?
If you donít have access to the Master Roster, than you donít work at QR.
Probably from EK, and trying to bring QR down to make your own life more tolerable. You should join, its a good job.

And if 1700 Captains were resigning per year as you suggest, why are they stopping DEC recruitment for the remainder of the year?
Have they really stopped DEC intake?
ColgatePlax is offline  
Old 19th May 2018, 17:29
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Two Seas
Posts: 79
Originally Posted by gretzky99 View Post
Well it's official, our career has hit rock bottom. Now blokes have to lie about not being a pilot to pick up.
We are in danger and our job is in greater danger!
Smoke mountain is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.