Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

EK Resignation Tips

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

EK Resignation Tips

Reply

Old 2nd Dec 2018, 18:50
  #841 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: dubai
Posts: 83
3 days not 5

Originally Posted by kcar View Post

yes you get 5 xx days for visa cancellation, closing bank account etc etc
I was given three days as was my mate. However if you plan to have your last day of service on a Tuesday - then you have 5 days as they donít count the weekends ( ie you have Fri-Tue. Tuesday however will be all at EGHQ and banking etc. Get there as early as possible. Also remember the Emirates NBD at EGHQ closes relatively early if depositing your cash. If you want a no liabilities letter from Emirates NBD ( if your bank) you need to cancel your cc well in advance. They have two different letters - a no liabilities and one other that sounds the same- one means no loans etc - you can get this if cc cancelled late , the other only 30-60 days after cc cancellation- cannot remember- and it means no outstanding cc owing etc etc. . As we had no loans, EK did not require this letter- we just wanted it for back home although so far havenít needed it. We requested it on LDS and it took 3 weeks and they would not email it so had to have someone pick it up... in retrospect probably not worth the hassle.
pumpkin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 19:02
  #842 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Asia
Posts: 42
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post

I was given three days as was my mate. However if you plan to have your last day of service on a Tuesday - then you have 5 days as they donít count the weekends ( ie you have Fri-Tue. Tuesday however will be all at EGHQ and banking etc. Get there as early as possible. Also remember the Emirates NBD at EGHQ closes relatively early if depositing your cash. If you want a no liabilities letter from Emirates NBD ( if your bank) you need to cancel your cc well in advance. They have two different letters - a no liabilities and one other that sounds the same- one means no loans etc - you can get this if cc cancelled late , the other only 30-60 days after cc cancellation- cannot remember- and it means no outstanding cc owing etc etc. . As we had no loans, EK did not require this letter- we just wanted it for back home although so far havenít needed it. We requested it on LDS and it took 3 weeks and they would not email it so had to have someone pick it up... in retrospect probably not worth the hassle.
Can the last salary and provident fund be deposited to your bank account or does it have to be a cheque?
kcar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 2nd Dec 2018, 23:16
  #843 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: dubai
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by kcar View Post
Can the last salary and provident fund be deposited to your bank account or does it have to be a cheque?
It can be deposited directly by EK to an account in Dubai or overseas. Reading on this thread that can take anywhere from one week to six. I wasnít willing to take that chance and wanted to see my cash before I left Dubai soil. I donít think there have been any instances of the money not eventually being transferred but I wasnít keen on having to fight anyone to track down such a large sum of money .
pumpkin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 03:43
  #844 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: in a dream
Posts: 14
Originally Posted by Windshieldwiper View Post
Question:
I'm thinking to leave Emirates after 3 years and I've got 2 years bond left. Is there a way not to pay the remaining bond, besides doing a runner? ;-)
Thanks
I think at 3 years, EOSB = bond remaining.
directimped is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 04:37
  #845 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: S E Asia
Posts: 150
Repatriating Funds

Pumpkin - itís been a few years since I left, but I distinctly recall being strongly advised to ensure that any funds arrived in my UK bank well before I arrived in order to avoid any potential tax implications. Fortunately this advice was largely academic for me because I was moving my funds and myself to another country, but it may be something you should look into to avoid any nasty surprises. Maybe some other leavers could comment further. I believe similar cautions apply to returning to the US. A secondary consideration involves the possible implications of arriving in any country these days with large amounts of cash due to Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism rules.
Best of luck.
7B
777boyo is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Dec 2018, 19:51
  #846 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: not at home
Posts: 12
Originally Posted by pumpkin View Post

It can be deposited directly by EK to an account in Dubai or overseas. Reading on this thread that can take anywhere from one week to six. I wasnít willing to take that chance and wanted to see my cash before I left Dubai soil. I donít think there have been any instances of the money not eventually being transferred but I wasnít keen on having to fight anyone to track down such a large sum of money .
i will do the same, i think.
did you take the cash back home and did you have to declare it leaving the UAE?
NightVMC is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2018, 01:06
  #847 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: dubai
Posts: 83
Originally Posted by 777boyo View Post
Pumpkin - itís been a few years since I left, but I distinctly recall being strongly advised to ensure that any funds arrived in my UK bank well before I arrived in order to avoid any potential tax implications. Fortunately this advice was largely academic for me because I was moving my funds and myself to another country, but it may be something you should look into to avoid any nasty surprises. Maybe some other leavers could comment further. I believe similar cautions apply to returning to the US. A secondary consideration involves the possible implications of arriving in any country these days with large amounts of cash due to Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism rules.
Best of luck.
7B
r
Just to clarify- I agree. I got the cheque, cashed it, and walked over to Al Rostamani and transferred it home. It took 4 working days to get there I think. Absolutely in most countries your cash needs to get there before you do( to avoid tax implications)- so I didnít want to ďrelyĒ on EK sorting out the transfer via the offshore managers as I had heard some people had to wait 6 weeks for their cash to show up. On another note- the days of having to carry a massive amount of cash to Al Rostamani etc are gone- I set up an account a month before I left and did a small trial transfer, then in my last day of service got the Ek cheque, deposited it my NBD account, then went to Al Rostamani and wrote a personal cheque to them for the entire amount- no problem.
pumpkin is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 4th Dec 2018, 15:49
  #848 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Post-Pit and Lovin' It.
Posts: 820
Oh I dunno. Truth be told I had a lot of fun waltzing into Al Rostamani and throwing down a big ol' pile of dirtyhams...gansgsta.

nolimitholdem is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 6th Dec 2018, 17:55
  #849 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Location: Shahjahanpur
Posts: 90
Originally Posted by Mister Warning View Post
Fourgolds - when I left I could only give 2 months notice instead of 3. I was docked a month's pay ie. I worked that last month of my 12 years for free. Thanks for your service.
On the other hand I burned up my outstanding sick leave. Oh, and leaving was the best command decision I ever made.
Why it was the best decision ? What were the issues you faced ?
hitansh is offline  
Reply With Quote

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service