Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Old 20th Mar 2019, 10:22
  #4761 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: xxx
Posts: 63
Originally Posted by Dz_flyer View Post
It's human nature buddy some people are never happy
If you are flying 90 hours you are not flying it for free you get well paid for that and EK pilots are very well rewarded for that , accomodation is paid , electricity paid , school is paid , special deals for phone and internet , medical insurance , you get discounts everywhere i cantc understand people saying salary is not enough !!
dear DZ
yes a agree with u that you could love what u do here- very true, but the environment you find yourself in here is very toxic as the whole system is built in a way locals never have to take any reposibilities and if they brake their rules they are protected - and this makes the story here very abusive. Beside a certain culture which builds their existence on lieing at any occasion they can

medical insurance comes with deduction from your pocket above a certain amount
they discount on your coffee is not worth a chewing gum and makes it as expensive as in Switzerland (on of the most expensive countries in Europe)

the special rate on your internet is still triple the price than in Europe ( in Germany 1000mbs for Ä60 a month)
carefour is between double and 4 times the price in Europe
if u donít live here check it - if u live here go check again



WB1900 is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2019, 12:13
  #4762 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 572
Just to add some balance to the discussion. The minority of colleagues including myself will not put our present overall level of remuneration at the top of our list of grievances. However, there is a concern at the current trend and how our salary does not keep pace with the rate of inflation of some goods. For example, the current rate of inflation for clothing and footwear has dipped to what is still an uncomfortable level of around 9% (from tradingeconomics.com), which outpaces any pay increase we are ever likely to get. So there is some concern when one looks to the future, in the years ahead.

The main concern for many at present is the lifestyle. There is a never ending struggle of spending time trying to find roster swaps to find the trips or days off you are looking for, after not getting what you bid for initially. For all intents and purposes, the bidding system is flawed after being heavily manipulated and micromanaged by the company and of course, to the detriment of the employee. As has been mentioned already, leave is a variable conundrum depending on who you speak to. Part time working is a concept that we will probably never see, which as far as I am concerned is the biggest failing of the company, as it would probably help to keep people here a bit longer.
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 20th Mar 2019, 21:25
  #4763 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: uae
Posts: 2,348
It's rather comical to listen to wannabes and newbies know it all's. Let them learn from their own experiences and standby for the next wave of EK/Dubai experts . I've said this before and believe it still stands - it will not get better , but hey , go find out for your self . 2 bucket concept!
fatbus is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2019, 10:05
  #4764 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Brazil
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Z786 View Post
Any idea what the waiting period is to get a confirmation after successfully completing the assessment in dubai?
Made my assessment in january, waited for 1 month and unfortunately got a NO and a 24 months minimum to reapply. Got successful on assessement and medical exam approved. I have no idea why I did not get the job offer, and even if I had that wouldn't change the result.
As they say, passing the selection proccess does not guarantee a job offer. It all depends on higher management decisions.

I hope you get a better outcome!
Good luck.
LuckyB_89 is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2019, 10:30
  #4765 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by fatbus View Post
It's rather comical to listen to wannabes and newbies know it all's. Let them learn from their own experiences and standby for the next wave of EK/Dubai experts . I've said this before and believe it still stands - it will not get better , but hey , go find out for your self . 2 bucket concept!
I think you and many need to look around and tell me where is getting better? Maybe RYR from euro land.
BA? Erm well they are now charging low hour pilots £18k for TR plus reduced salary to start with. Unheard of. 24 pay scale that is now 34 point pay scale. Time down route to be reduced to 24hrs soon even on ULH. First 7 years are horrible.
Possibly the US aviation sector is the only place that has improved T&Cs
Out of euro land from what I know AF is the best gig but obviously fluent in french a must.
Even our regional gig is completely on its knees. Ask the long term guys/gals and they all say itís a lot worse now with pay that hasnít kept up. 80-90 hr months when average flying hours on a duty 4-5hrs. Duty hours a month 170-200? 12 hrs min rest that they reduce by putting you in a hotel at home base.
Do the maths on that lot.

From an economy and economic point of view Dubai is very small and imports a lot. Naturally goods from far flung places would cost more. Storing goods is expensive because itís 5000 degrees outside and doesnít have a massive demand (population being quite small). Itís like people who go on holiday go and buy a Cadburyís chocolate bar and complain because itís double the price. Of course it is. They donít have the distribution structures in place. Dubai is the same. What does it have? Oil, gas, metal exports? Not much else.
From a UK perspective we have a larger population, distribution facilities, big companies etc so cost to buy things will naturally be less. However...
We pay high tax. How much of which helps us out? Depends what situation you are in.
£100k salary in UK land means take home of £5.5k
480kAED 40kAED which would be £8k month.
For UK people my council tax is going up 8% this year. Last year 6%.
Recession is due soon so everyone and everything is preparing. I wouldnít say itís a Dubai or EK thing. My mate had a pay cut he is very high up at a UK based company but covers the UAE group so lives in Dubai.

From my point of view financially even if I spent my whole salary every month it wouldnít matter because I would be renting my property in the UK. People coming from other places would be better places to do the same. My mortgage would be more than covered and cleared in 10 years if we stayed.
Going EK without a back up plan is probably unwise I would say itís unwise in aviation anyway. An FO has lost his medical recently only been flying 2 years. The LOL is not that much and wonít help for long.

Locals being protected is nothing new to just Dubai this happens in many many many countries some of which are in euro land.

People are are going to read this and some will be like yeah yeah come and experience it.
I have friends who have lived in Dubai, AD, Qatar for 10 years plus one guy 30 years They love it but said itís not as good as it used to be.
I know 5 people personally who lasted 1 year and couldnít wait to leave.

I would say this. All the ones who wanted to leave had never lived in a large city.
I answered the questions of are you read for Dubai and I got mostly Bs a few As and Cs.
Most of the questions to me just seemed like someone who has never lived in a large city.
Driving wise roads in london are the same you get used to it. I do have to adjust when I drive outside of London. Camping under the stars would be my worst nightmare for a trip away. I spent enough camping when I was younger.

Anyway people will rip into this but as has been said some people will never be happy.

Last edited by AIMINGHIGH123; 21st Mar 2019 at 10:49.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2019, 12:24
  #4766 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: 30W
Age: 99
Posts: 116
You really donít need to defend your decision to come out here mate.
Yorkshire_Pudding is online now  
Old 21st Mar 2019, 13:19
  #4767 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 2,888
I would say this. All the ones who wanted to leave had never lived in a large city.
I answered the questions of are you read for Dubai and I got mostly Bs a few As and Cs. ( this is a quote from a previous post)


Well I lived in a large city. 3 in fact. And yesterday was my 4 year anniversary of leaving EK.. and Iím back home.. living in a large city and never been happier.
SOPS is online now  
Old 21st Mar 2019, 16:36
  #4768 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Max Cont Thrust
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Pudding View Post
You really donít need to defend your decision to come out here mate.
You could clear out a decent sized rainforests worth of trees to print out the reasons NOT to join EK. A 4/5 paragraph logical and well put rationale for the Dubai dilemma is put forth and thatís your best response?

FalseGS is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2019, 16:37
  #4769 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: escaped EK
Posts: 59
Aiminghigh, why do you keep coming on here to justify your decision to join EK? I think you already joined anyway. I'm leaving very soon and couldn't be happier. Like escaping from a prison. Best of luck to you, maybe you'll fit right in. If there is any doubt about EK today just look at the demographic of new joiners, that says it all. If EK and Dubai was such a great place then they wouldn't need to target said places for applicants.
directimped is offline  
Old 21st Mar 2019, 19:39
  #4770 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: In a pipe in the upstairs water closet
Posts: 218
If there is any doubt about EK today just look at the demographic of new joiners
Examples?

Fuel-Off
Fuel-Off is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 07:37
  #4771 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: India
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by LuckyB_89 View Post
Made my assessment in january, waited for 1 month and unfortunately got a NO and a 24 months minimum to reapply. Got successful on assessement and medical exam approved. I have no idea why I did not get the job offer, and even if I had that wouldn't change the result.
As they say, passing the selection proccess does not guarantee a job offer. It all depends on higher management decisions.

I hope you get a better outcome!
Good luck.
Kindly check inbox
Z786 is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 16:48
  #4772 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: Brazil
Posts: 3
Originally Posted by Z786 View Post
Kindly check inbox
Tried to reply but it says your message box is full. Send me an inbox whenever you clean it.

===================================

You canít use the Private Messaging system in or out, add url links or images until you have an established posting history. Email should be open for you both in and out if you pass them on.
LuckyB_89 is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2019, 19:02
  #4773 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: uae
Posts: 2,348
Supply and demand for one thing . Also they like to spread out from individual regions if possible.
fatbus is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 02:31
  #4774 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 572
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post


I think you and many need to look around and tell me where is getting better? Maybe RYR from euro land.
BA? Erm well they are now charging low hour pilots £18k for TR plus reduced salary to start with. Unheard of. 24 pay scale that is now 34 point pay scale. Time down route to be reduced to 24hrs soon even on ULH. First 7 years are horrible.
Possibly the US aviation sector is the only place that has improved T&Cs
Out of euro land from what I know AF is the best gig but obviously fluent in french a must.
Even our regional gig is completely on its knees. Ask the long term guys/gals and they all say itís a lot worse now with pay that hasnít kept up. 80-90 hr months when average flying hours on a duty 4-5hrs. Duty hours a month 170-200? 12 hrs min rest that they reduce by putting you in a hotel at home base.
Do the maths on that lot.

From an economy and economic point of view Dubai is very small and imports a lot. Naturally goods from far flung places would cost more. Storing goods is expensive because itís 5000 degrees outside and doesnít have a massive demand (population being quite small). Itís like people who go on holiday go and buy a Cadburyís chocolate bar and complain because itís double the price. Of course it is. They donít have the distribution structures in place. Dubai is the same. What does it have? Oil, gas, metal exports? Not much else.
From a UK perspective we have a larger population, distribution facilities, big companies etc so cost to buy things will naturally be less. However...
We pay high tax. How much of which helps us out? Depends what situation you are in.
£100k salary in UK land means take home of £5.5k
480kAED 40kAED which would be £8k month.
For UK people my council tax is going up 8% this year. Last year 6%.
Recession is due soon so everyone and everything is preparing. I wouldnít say itís a Dubai or EK thing. My mate had a pay cut he is very high up at a UK based company but covers the UAE group so lives in Dubai.

From my point of view financially even if I spent my whole salary every month it wouldnít matter because I would be renting my property in the UK. People coming from other places would be better places to do the same. My mortgage would be more than covered and cleared in 10 years if we stayed.
Going EK without a back up plan is probably unwise I would say itís unwise in aviation anyway. An FO has lost his medical recently only been flying 2 years. The LOL is not that much and wonít help for long.

Locals being protected is nothing new to just Dubai this happens in many many many countries some of which are in euro land.

People are are going to read this and some will be like yeah yeah come and experience it.
I have friends who have lived in Dubai, AD, Qatar for 10 years plus one guy 30 years They love it but said itís not as good as it used to be.
I know 5 people personally who lasted 1 year and couldnít wait to leave.

I would say this. All the ones who wanted to leave had never lived in a large city.
I answered the questions of are you read for Dubai and I got mostly Bs a few As and Cs.
Most of the questions to me just seemed like someone who has never lived in a large city.
Driving wise roads in london are the same you get used to it. I do have to adjust when I drive outside of London. Camping under the stars would be my worst nightmare for a trip away. I spent enough camping when I was younger.

Anyway people will rip into this but as has been said some people will never be happy.
If you take the scale of change witnessed at Emirates over the past 10 years, then you will be hard pushed to replicate that at any successful legacy airline whose pilots are represented by a union and who can legally take industrial action, should it ever be required. Therefore I feel comparing BA to Emirates is like apples and oranges.

On the topic of the cost of living here, it should theoretically be cheaper to buy many items that you see in the malls in Dubai than in Europe (for example). Dubai is closer to many of the manufacturing powerhouses in Asia and the city is just a stone's throw away from Jebel Ali port, which is where I suspect many goods that are for sale, first reach the UAE shores. The costs involved in transporting to the final point of sale would be cheaper as well, since labour costs are cheaper and to top it all off, sales tax is relatively low. The problem is that many of the retail outlets in the malls are not operated directly by the brand itself but by a locally owned franchisee, who charge ridiculous markups for products. On the other hand, if I use Apple as an example, they run independently in the UAE as they are a Free Zone company and prices in the Apple Stores here reflect that.

On the seperate topic of getting rejected after passing the assessment and getting to the medical, I had a friend who experienced this a few years ago. My understanding is that there is a review process for all applicants after the election process has been completed and if there is something on your file that someone dislikes, then one can be told 'thanks but no thanks'. You will most likely never get told why this has happened. My friend wasn't told but I suspect it was his sim ride that tripped him up in the end after he described it to me, despite being told on the day that he had passed it.
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 11:52
  #4775 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sandpit
Posts: 403
It doesnít matter what the economic reasons are for the prices being higher, it matters that they are and that salaries are not keeping up. The salary is still OK, but just that....OK. Would I move from the West now to EK? Probably not, would I move back to Europe now? Probably not, however the [email protected]@t bucket is filling very rapidly.

Discounts for coffee and the like are great, but the costs still remain far higher than many western cities. Would anyone in there right mind move here because they get discounted coffee?

Unfortunately the majority of positive comments here seem to come from non EK pilots and the majority of negative some from EK pilots. Choose who you decide to believe. Contributors to these threads are not always who they seem ......
felixthecat is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 23:06
  #4776 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Algeria
Posts: 31
Where are you coming from guys !!
Are London , paris , new york ...etc , cheaper than dubai ?!!! I don't think so , then do you get back home same benefits you get with EK ! ( tax free Salary , accomodation , schooling , electricity and water paid ! )
Be honest guys be honest , you may dont like EK but just be honest and stop saying stupid things and arguments !

Last edited by Dz_flyer; 23rd Mar 2019 at 23:35.
Dz_flyer is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2019, 23:10
  #4777 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Location: Algeria
Posts: 31
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
It doesnít matter what the economic reasons are for the prices being higher, it matters that they are and that salaries are not keeping up. The salary is still OK, but just that....OK. Would I move from the West now to EK? Probably not, would I move back to Europe now? Probably not, however the [email protected]@t bucket is filling very rapidly.

Discounts for coffee and the like are great, but the costs still remain far higher than many western cities. Would anyone in there right mind move here because they get discounted coffee?

Unfortunately the majority of positive comments here seem to come from non EK pilots and the majority of negative some from EK pilots. Choose who you decide to believe. Contributors to these threads are not always who they seem ......
Moving here because they get discounted coffee?!!
ItsI like i raised my hand to show you the moon but you're looking at my finger instead of moon
Dz_flyer is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 04:54
  #4778 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sandpit
Posts: 403
Originally Posted by Dz_flyer View Post
Where are you coming from guys !!
Are London , paris , new york ...etc , cheaper than dubai ?!!! I don't think so , then do you get back home same benefits you get with EK ! ( tax free Salary , accomodation , schooling , electricity and water paid ! )
Be honest guys be honest , you may dont like EK but just be honest and stop saying stupid things and arguments !
Accomodation, schooling, electricity and water are not free, they are part of the package. The salary is in effect reduced to take these into account. Many would like to be able to buy property and pay their electricity and water but are now unable to unless they are able to afford the huge deposits to buy a property in the UAE (you are looking at needing around 33% of the purchase price just to get in the market) You are now unable to rent property here and take the allowance.

As for schooling the allowance does not give free schooling, it gives an allowance towards schooling, a subtitle difference. Many end up paying not insignificant top up from their own pockets for the schooling that in some cases they can get free back home. This is also number of children dependent and age of children dependent, ie very young children are not entitled to allowance for schooling. Bare in mind that the cost of schooling is the second highest in the world behind Hong Kong.

As for a tax free salary, yes ‘technically’ you are correct however the 5% VAT introduction is a tax and the prices here no matter how you try to sugar coat them are on a par with London and New York. $5 for a coffee, $15 for a beer are just examples and that’s before you get into the food costs.

At the end of the day DZ it all depends where you are coming from. From Africa and other 3rd world counties it will seem a much more attractive option than it does to a western expat.



Last edited by felixthecat; 24th Mar 2019 at 05:09.
felixthecat is offline  
Old 24th Mar 2019, 05:02
  #4779 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sandpit
Posts: 403
Originally Posted by Dz_flyer View Post
Moving here because they get discounted coffee?!!
ItsI like i raised my hand to show you the moon but you're looking at my finger instead of moon
It was a flippant comment demonstrating the falisy that discounts make it cheap here. They don’t, the fact remains it is very expensive and salaries are not keeping up.

Perhaps pointing at the moon is to distract from the pickpocket behind.



Last edited by felixthecat; 24th Mar 2019 at 05:14.
felixthecat is offline  
Old 30th Mar 2019, 16:52
  #4780 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Internet
Posts: 24
In reality youíll not get the time off to enjoy your discounts, your rosters will not reflect anything you bid for, youíll get leave when you donít want it, but hey itís nirvans according to many hete who know no better!!
Now people are eaving due to the rosters!
they say lots joining but in reality maybe only 30
per month get to the medical stage, how many lass to the line who knows , however the total number of pilots have not increased in 3 years!
Pif Paf is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.