Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Emirates (EK) Interview - all you need to know about it (threads merged)

Old 7th Dec 2018, 04:45
  #4661 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Max Cont Thrust
Posts: 37
You can say that about any airline anywhere in the world in today’s current aviation scenario.

Everybody can’t join the legacy/major carriers where they do offer a sustainable lifestyle. Everybody can’t join carriers where you have such progressive HR policies.

Missing holidays, weekends and other important events are a fact of life for most airline pilots. EKs lifestyle does not have exclusive domain over that aspect of our life.

But you are absolutely correct about the fact that Dubai will try its hardest to ensure you leave with nothing. So all those hours logged and sleepless nights will most likely lead you to leaving with barely enough considering how EK or any other airline in the ME will abuse you.
FalseGS is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 08:19
  #4662 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 60
Originally Posted by FalseGS View Post
You can say that about any airline anywhere in the world in todayís current aviation scenario.

Everybody canít join the legacy/major carriers where they do offer a sustainable lifestyle. Everybody canít join carriers where you have such progressive HR policies.

Missing holidays, weekends and other important events are a fact of life for most airline pilots. EKs lifestyle does not have exclusive domain over that aspect of our life.
.
Its a fact in aviation you will miss these.

Legacy/Major? Definitely not in the U.K. Have a read of the BA thread. Once a great airline to work for. I have wanted BA for so long but now mid 30s with a young family I donít think so.
I have read all these threads spoken to friends who live in Dubai and for me EK makes more sense than our legacy. I love flying but working until 65 in any airline will kill most. If I go EK we will rent our property here in London and have half the mortgage paid off in 5 years. 10 years the whole thing and thatís not counting on any savings from EK and without my wife working at all so she can spend time with the little ones. I am aiming at either getting out of aviation by 55 or at least being able to work part time at somewhere like EZY.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 10:44
  #4663 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: UAE
Posts: 947
Aiminghigh, (very appropriate user name) sounds like you have it all worked out. Come on over, Dubai is waiting- but before you do have a look at the “Are you ready for Dubai?” Quiz at the top of he page. And please come back in 5 years to tell us how your plan is going.
BigGeordie is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 11:19
  #4664 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dubai
Age: 50
Posts: 167
Originally Posted by hitansh View Post
What's the problem in working in EK these days ?
To be honest, EK is not such a bad gig. I enjoy the actual operation, but there are some realities to working here. To sum up 3850 hours in the last 4 years. Add in some deadhead time and sim trainings all of which is not logged or paid, and we are at over 4 000 hours for 4 years much of it across 12 time zones and between the hours of 3am and 8am. Now this in itself is not the end of the world, but it is simply unsustainable for the next 15 years until I hit 65.

Given the unsustainable levels, many pilots will be looking at a 10 year window. Given you will spend, say, 6 years of that as an FO, with kids, you will not be saving anything. That leaves you with 4 good years to save. Your wife will be unlikely to find work, unless she is well qualified. Given that, you must ask yourself if it is worth it.

My reality is somewhat darker. I ask myself, if I were to die at the age of 56, do I really want to do this for the rest of my life. The answer is no, despite the fact that I am actually one of the positive guys around here.

The age of new recruits is dropping.....maybe it will be different for the youngsters but I'm looking for the exit.

Like many, if EK were to offer part time, I would be here for the rest of my life. But they don't and won't even consider it..........nothing more to say.
Kennytheking is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 11:43
  #4665 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Max Cont Thrust
Posts: 37
Originally Posted by Yorkshire_Pudding View Post


Working for a non-commuting expat airline, is it a fact you will miss far far more of these events than working for a home base carrier. Potentially 6 months away from home if you canít get more than blocks of 2 days off.
That is a fact of an expat lifestyle. Once again, not EK's exclusive domain.
I knew what I was getting into once I left home. So did every other expat pilot, actually, pretty much EVERY expat. These are the choices we make. This is a choice you made as well. It sucks major ass, but it is what we chose. And EK pilots are not the only ones who are homesick.
You gotta do better than that to make the EK life stand out as a unique sh*tshow.
FalseGS is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 12:29
  #4666 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: escaped EK
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post


Its a fact in aviation you will miss these.

Legacy/Major? Definitely not in the U.K. Have a read of the BA thread. Once a great airline to work for. I have wanted BA for so long but now mid 30s with a young family I don’t think so.
I have read all these threads spoken to friends who live in Dubai and for me EK makes more sense than our legacy. I love flying but working until 65 in any airline will kill most. If I go EK we will rent our property here in London and have half the mortgage paid off in 5 years. 10 years the whole thing and that’s not counting on any savings from EK and without my wife working at all so she can spend time with the little ones. I am aiming at either getting out of aviation by 55 or at least being able to work part time at somewhere like EZY.
That all sounds good, but ultimately it will not work. Why? Dubai. It has a way of recovering your pay check, whether you like it or not. Ask yourself, what is the wife going to do on a hot summers day when you are out flying (that's a lot of the time btw)? Maybe she wants to fly back to the UK for summer? Doing anything but sit at home is very expensive in Dubai and your FO salary isn't really as big as you think it is. You will know what I mean when you arrive here. There are many unexpected costs that you cannot possibly plan for. I'm sorry to say friend, but as an FO with a wife who doesn't work and 1 child, you won't save much or anything at all. Your dreams of early retirement will disappear into the abyss. You won't even last 10 years as you will be completely burned out.

But you make your own choices. If I were you, I would take that BA gig and start building some seniority. EK is worthless, they will chew you up and spit you out. We all made the same mistake otherwise we wouldn't be here on PPRuNe. BTW, I am writing this on a layover because PPRuNe is blocked in UAE so I hope you have a VPN if you plan on coming back here to complain also many VPN's are blocked
directimped is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 13:36
  #4667 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 60
Living in London is so expensive. Even if I got BA my take home salary would be £4kish after tax and it wouldnít go up much. My wifeís salary is about the same so we would have £8k. Take £2.5k off of that a month for flat running cost mortgage/service bills etc. Now nursery costs £1800 a month for each child. We may need a nanny as well for pick up from nursery so thatís going to add another £500 per month. Food etc £400 a month. Car running costs £600 a month.
Start adding these figures up and London is not cheap, havenít even added holidays going out etc, we save nothing at the moment maybe with BA we would be able to save £1k a month. I say London because we wouldnít live anywhere else. Itís just not an option. BA it takes about 8 years for you to have enough seniority to have some weekends off this is what I was told at a BA presentation. My mate who joined BA last year had a 5 month block with not 1 weekend day off. I only get to see my wife at weekends as it is as she works full time for an investment bank 50-60 hr weeks quite common.
Other option is EZY at least you can get a quick time to command and be able to live comfortable. Even on an EZY Captain salary take home is still only £7-8k a month.
If I go EK instantly our mortgage is covered no expense from me. I wouldnít have to commute 2-3hrs a day to work. Nursery costs we wouldnít have as my wife can look after the babies something she is really regretting not being able to do. If I did 10 years our mortgage would be paid so property alone £600-£700k would be ours. So we could technically spend all my salary and still £ in.
Now my wife wants to take time out from her banking job to spend time with the babies if she decides to go back to work she has contacts in Dubai, speaks Arabic and spent 10 years growing up in Kuwait (until someone decided to try and take it). Last time she was offered a job the salary was about the same as EK FO salary.
Yes if we stay in U.K. we would still have our property but itís only a 2 bed flat. We have to move up. 4 bed houses start at £1.4 mill in our area. We can load ourselves up and eventually would be mortgage free after 30-35 years of both working full time but these early years with the babies would be lost. BA short haul would be the worst case. EZY can get Luton LGW to cut down my commute get on to a jet as Iím currently a TP operator and get an ok roster 5/4 but working until 65 remember.

The issues people have with Dubai on here our friends who have lived in UAE for between 5-15 years donít see them as that bad. No offense but I showed them some of the complaints on here and they just laughed, these are friends we have known for a long time so have similar interests likes/dislikes etc.

We have both decided we donít want to retire or spend any later years in the U.K if possible so ultimately want a way out. The cons for us far out weigh the pros and in the last 2 years Brexit shenanigans has accelerated a lot of negatives for us.

This is the situation we are in.

AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 13:59
  #4668 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: escaped EK
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post
This is the situation we are in.
Most people at EK are in this situation, sadly most don't have the luxury of a UK passport. I also came to EK because my home country was becoming unaffordable and I would struggle to save. But no one I meet on the flight deck is laughing - the problems are real and people are tired. So maybe you solve a few problems like swapping your big commute for a go kart chauffeur to the airport, but what about the rest? Do you know about the pollution levels in Dubai? There is a dedicated discussion for that. You should read it because it will affect your child. Mine suffers and hurts me to see, especially in summer. What about fatigue? Are you ready to lose 2 nights of sleep weekly for as long as you are at EK? I bet you think you know what fatigue is, guess what... you don't. If you call sick too much because you are tired, or even sick, too bad you will get a warning. Are you ready for EK to block your access to PPRuNe? Or any alcohol from overseas? The list goes on....

If you are ready to sign up to 5 years of this then by all means, welcome. As for me, I am proceeding to the nearest exit at VMO while I still have something to salvage........
I second the above suggestion, read the "are you ready to move to Dubai" post. It is 100% accurate and if you answer C's I suggest you stay the hell away...!
directimped is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 14:37
  #4669 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Sandpit
Posts: 403
Originally Posted by AIMINGHIGH123 View Post
Living in London is so expensive. Even if I got BA my take home salary would be £4kish after tax and it wouldn’t go up much. My wife’s salary is about the same so we would have £8k. Take £2.5k off of that a month for flat running cost mortgage/service bills etc. Now nursery costs £1800 a month for each child. We may need a nanny as well for pick up from nursery so that’s going to add another £500 per month. Food etc £400 a month. Car running costs £600 a month.
Start adding these figures up and London is not cheap, haven’t even added holidays going out etc, we save nothing at the moment maybe with BA we would be able to save £1k a month. I say London because we wouldn’t live anywhere else. It’s just not an option. BA it takes about 8 years for you to have enough seniority to have some weekends off this is what I was told at a BA presentation. My mate who joined BA last year had a 5 month block with not 1 weekend day off. I only get to see my wife at weekends as it is as she works full time for an investment bank 50-60 hr weeks quite common.
Other option is EZY at least you can get a quick time to command and be able to live comfortable. Even on an EZY Captain salary take home is still only £7-8k a month.
If I go EK instantly our mortgage is covered no expense from me. I wouldn’t have to commute 2-3hrs a day to work. Nursery costs we wouldn’t have as my wife can look after the babies something she is really regretting not being able to do. If I did 10 years our mortgage would be paid so property alone £600-£700k would be ours. So we could technically spend all my salary and still £ in.
Now my wife wants to take time out from her banking job to spend time with the babies if she decides to go back to work she has contacts in Dubai, speaks Arabic and spent 10 years growing up in Kuwait (until someone decided to try and take it). Last time she was offered a job the salary was about the same as EK FO salary.
Yes if we stay in U.K. we would still have our property but it’s only a 2 bed flat. We have to move up. 4 bed houses start at £1.4 mill in our area. We can load ourselves up and eventually would be mortgage free after 30-35 years of both working full time but these early years with the babies would be lost. BA short haul would be the worst case. EZY can get Luton LGW to cut down my commute get on to a jet as I’m currently a TP operator and get an ok roster 5/4 but working until 65 remember.

The issues people have with Dubai on here our friends who have lived in UAE for between 5-15 years don’t see them as that bad. No offense but I showed them some of the complaints on here and they just laughed, these are friends we have known for a long time so have similar interests likes/dislikes etc.

We have both decided we don’t want to retire or spend any later years in the U.K if possible so ultimately want a way out. The cons for us far out weigh the pros and in the last 2 years Brexit shenanigans has accelerated a lot of negatives for us.

This is the situation we are in.


Whilst many parts of what you say have a basis in reality, many also have the view of someone who has not worked and lived the punishing rosters and extreme fatigue that EK heralds.

If if you believe that the mortgage is no cost to you then you are wrong. The housing allowance is only applicable if you buy a property in UAE. In the UK you pay your mortgage from your salary, here it is an add on, in effect it is removed from the salary if you live in, you are in effect paying it. Property prices are high, though not quite London high, unless you put down a huge deposit on a property you will not pay off a £600-700k mortgage in 10 years. That equates to £60000-70000 a year or 250,000-290,000 Aed a year (assuming 10% deposit and 0% interest) A captains rate is below 200,000Aed a year and an FO (which I assume you will join as, and will remain as for approx 5 years) is substantially lower than that. The UAE property market is also very different than the UK.

Dont think you will be here with plenty of time off, and will save heaps of money. You won’t. You will be tired and jet lagged 90% of the time, you will also be very limited on days off to be with family. Dubai is VERY expensive and getting more and more so, saving money isn’t a given especially as an FO. If you have children schooling is reportedly the second highest, behind Hong Kong, in the world.

You also seem to believe you will be able to bid for and get weekends of...... good luck with that one!

By all means come and look, but your post is naive or is from the higher levels of the bouncy castle.


Last edited by felixthecat; 7th Dec 2018 at 14:53.
felixthecat is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 14:41
  #4670 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: London
Posts: 60
Yeah I did those questions twice to be sure and I got mostly Bs couple of As and Cs.

Also Iím not talking about buying or renting in Dubai, just living in company accommodation. The money from rental Iím talking about renting out our property that would be in the U.K. whilst we are in Dubai.

I donít see buying in Dubai wise.
AIMINGHIGH123 is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 16:39
  #4671 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NQLD
Age: 33
Posts: 95
Yes the money can be tempting, BUT....

AIMINGHIGH:

All the reasons you have for coming here are valid. Most people look at the cost/benefit and work out they could probably save money or be better off in EK. BUT donít let the money be the primary reason for you coming here.

If you are capable of sticking to a budget and saving on your current salary, you will be able to save money in Dubai as an f/o. But if that doesnít sound like you, there are lots of shiny things to take your money over here....

The fact your your wife has lived in the ME before is good. You also have friends here, good. As youíve found youíll get a better idea about Dubai from them than on PPRuNe. As youíve seen thereís plenty of people on here that will tear you down or just post negative comments.

As for EK:
The comments about fatigue and being tired are not to be taken lightly. It affects some more than others. Personally I donít find it to bad, but be prepared to walk around like a zombie a couple of days a month after getting back from a night flight. As an example the worst month I had 5 night turnarounds plus every layover also left Dubai around 9pm. That month I would have lost at least 10 nights of sleep (between 10pm-5am). Itís something thing you wonít get anywhere else.

Iíve also come across a string of grumpy Captains recently who just shouldnít be here. Makes it a tough day when the other guy is pissed off with life. (Yes you can all blame EK but your job doesnít define you does it?!)

Overall we are reasonably happy here (for now). But at some point everyone will want to go home. The question is what will you do then?

Last edited by aviation_enthus; 7th Dec 2018 at 16:51.
aviation_enthus is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2018, 20:28
  #4672 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Doctor's waiting room
Posts: 572
Originally Posted by FalseGS View Post
You can say that about any airline anywhere in the world in todayís current aviation scenario.

Everybody canít join the legacy/major carriers where they do offer a sustainable lifestyle. Everybody canít join carriers where you have such progressive HR policies.

Missing holidays, weekends and other important events are a fact of life for most airline pilots. EKs lifestyle does not have exclusive domain over that aspect of our life.

But you are absolutely correct about the fact that Dubai will try its hardest to ensure you leave with nothing. So all those hours logged and sleepless nights will most likely lead you to leaving with barely enough considering how EK or any other airline in the ME will abuse you.
You don't have to join a top-notch operator to see such progressive HR policies. When you have a legal base which protects an employee's rights to flexible working, then that alone can help to enhance how level the playing field will be. If you add a union to the mix, then the opportunity to avail a better work vs lifestyle balance is only strengthened further.

I have many friends in different companies both large and small who are for all intents and purposes, are part-time and have a significant degree of leverage with planning their time off each month. Yes, I will agree that we will miss some important events due to the nature of the job. However, we are grossly selling ourselves short if we hold the view that we ourselves have not been sold short and that there are no significant differences between our working conditions and what you will witness at many other widebody operators, with regards to flexible working practices.
Emma Royds is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 04:46
  #4673 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Heaven
Posts: 19
HELLO every one.

I had my assessment with Emirates and i hate to inform all of you that i didn't make it and failed Day One.
The Computer test was like walk in the park and so was the group exercise.
In the A380 simulator i was assessed by a Local Arab Guy and a Spanish Guy.
The exercises was very easy and after the assessment i was extremely happy because i did well.
The Local Arab guy then tells me that i did very well in the ILS raw data and the engine failure but in the visual circuit
I didn't align my self properly with the runway and i was not stable which is not true but i think i delayed the turn a little bit to the final .
They told me to do visual circuit one more time and this time i was ok and i flew the circuit with confidence. After the session the espanish guy said that this was better.

I went to the hotel and was pressing my shirt for day two and the Local Arab guy calls me and tells me i didn't make it.
I was really shocked.
I would have retired at emirates, I know my simulator went really well. I went so prepared for every thing but i think its totally their loss.
I wanted to wine on prune but to my surprise the website was banned in UAE.

Out of our group they only took 2 or 3 guys from the west , i think i was a victim of racism .I think they don't like indians and Pakistanis that much in Emirates.
The Arab want people from the west only because they want their country to look like a western country to be very honest.
ReducedThrust is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 10:11
  #4674 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: overthere
Posts: 2,865
Many things can be said about EK as an employer . But being racist isn't one of them .
donpizmeov is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 11:21
  #4675 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: escaped EK
Posts: 59
Originally Posted by ReducedThrust View Post
I went to the hotel and was pressing my shirt for day two and the Local Arab guy calls me and tells me i didn't make it.
I was really shocked.
I would have retired at emirates, I know my simulator went really well. I went so prepared for every thing but i think its totally their loss.
I wanted to wine on prune but to my surprise the website was banned in UAE.
Congratulations, EK did you a big favour.
directimped is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 11:44
  #4676 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 2,888
I"m wondering how he knew the Computer test and the Group Exercise went so well. I mean Reduced Thrust is rating himself. As Don said..EK is many things, but not racist.

As far as I go...just had TWO wonderful Christmas functions put on by my employer..have 4 days off now..then back to work for the week leading up to Christmas. Chrisse Eve and Day and Boxing Day off...and still loving my new job. To all my old EK friends...Merry Christmas..
SOPS is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2018, 20:48
  #4677 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1998
Location: Blandings
Posts: 679
The fact that you show up here reliably to gloat relentlessly is such a gift. Sorry we didn't get you anything.
Dropp the Pilot is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 01:27
  #4678 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: uae
Posts: 2,348
RT , where you from , what us your background, how many AP 320 hours do you have, how old are you . Be careful what you say if you ever want to try again !!!!
fatbus is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 05:13
  #4679 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Tatooine
Posts: 156
Doubt it Lately the guys in my right seat are mostly Indian or Pakistani. To your other ridiculous point, they're are few "westerners" desperate enough to join here now, so they are basically taking anyone who can pass the really easy and repeatable assessments. When the standards were higher there was no feedback and no repeat. Either you could do it under pressure the first time or you went home. My advice, stop looking for someone to blame, cut out the victim crap, and take responsibility for your failure.

[/QUOTE] Out of our group they only took 2 or 3 guys from the west , i think i was a victim of racism .I think they don't like indians and Pakistanis that much in Emirates.
The Arab want people from the west only because they want their country to look like a western country to be very honest.[/QUOTE]
MosEisley is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 06:07
  #4680 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: SEQ
Posts: 25
Reduced Thrust has 3,000hrs Jet time and lots of A320 time. Cosidering he has 1,400hrs on B737, looks like about 1,600hrs on A320.
An expert flying with oldies, so I am guessing great CRM and superior personal skills.
He is seperated and looks like heading for a divorce soon as his wife ran off with her lover.
He is unemployed as his airline went broke, the same day his wife ran off with his lover.
His maths is very weak, but obviously this was not reflected in his assessment as he said the computer test was very easy.
He also did very well in the SIM despite having a repeat.
​​​​​​Ultimately he was unsuccessful after Day 1. But only because of some racist agenda by the airline.
For me, I can't understand why he failed, nor why he hasn't been called by FlyDubai for SIM assessment.

I have no idea who this guys is, everything above is sourced from his posts on this forum since Oct 2018.

After providing such in depth personal information on this site, may I guess you revealed your PPRuNe name during the assessment, EK looked up your history and realised you didn't know how to answer a panel interview so decided not to waste anymore time or money.
Advice: next time you go to an interview, absolutely tell them you are getting divorced. Make sure you mention that your wife left you the day you lost your job. Maybe even add in that she left with your best friend or a work.colleague. It will show resilience in character and that you are emotionally stable. It also indicates that you have no resentment or built up hostility because you are able to calmly talk about it.
Also if you have any spent criminal convictions, particularly anything from your childhood that is in sealed records, make sure you include that in any questionaire. Airlines love honesty, and it will save them time and money doing background checks after you pass next time.

Last edited by The Shovel; 17th Dec 2018 at 06:17.
The Shovel is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.