Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Worldwide > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Medical at EK

Middle East Many expats still flying in Knoteetingham. Regional issues can be discussed here.

Medical at EK

Old 18th Apr 2022, 06:15
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 209
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennytheking View Post
You are using half-truths to make it sound like a witch hunt and all because you have an axe to grind with the company.

The company does not give a rats arse what is wrong with you - they are only interested in your ability to work. If your condition impacts your attendance that is going to come down on you for sure. I have had several operations and my during my interaction with fleet, I did not feel that they wanted to know my medical issues - they wanted to know how long I could wait for the op and how long it would take to recover(and I had to give the doctor permission to give that information to them) - all perfectly reasonable.

I know that the SK will be on my record and when the next pandemic hits, I may well be let go - that is a calculation that I have made and am comfortable with. It's a reality I am lead to believe is not unique to the Middle east.

I don't know anything about your mates case but it is third hand information and I suspect skewed to his own point of view. It is also not impossible that some over zealous interviewer may have stepped over the line but that would not be the norm and is definitely not policy.
I would love to say you are right and thatís only half truth. I can assure you that I know the details and itís unfortunately by far bigger than half truth. Itís very real.

consider your self lucky, at least one case was axed over a broken leg where it is known how long it takes to recover, another one over cancer (before covid). The broken leg story took place during the beginnings of the pandemic where it should not have mattered as the fleet wasnít flying anyway. They knew and still itís been a mandate for cost cutting. Another way is that fleet demands a signature one a letter to open your medical record to them, that can happen before a upcoming command interview, when the command board likes to.

i agree with you that they are in general not interested in whatís wrong with you and usually not playing that card and things are handled via attendance. And they are clever enough not to put down their cards, they wonít show you that they are breaking all rules of confidentiality.

should it not make you think that it is possible that someone can step over that red line.


Last edited by flyTheBigFatLady; 18th Apr 2022 at 06:56.
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2022, 10:21
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: in the sky
Posts: 34
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyTheBigFatLady View Post
to correct you

you are not getting an insurance
EK is covering the costs of a doctor visit. There is no choice in doctors as most of, better literally everything has to be approved by EK medical service. Since their internal cost cutting Programm on medical benefits it became more and more difficult to get approval.
If you have a friend there, have a look into his medical card. In general it says ďreferral onlyĒ and itís meant so. Even if you walk into a emergency it can happen that the will ask you to call medical benefit first to get the referral.
otherwise you go pay and claim which can be super long process until you get your money, if not somebody decided that the treatment you received is way out of standard and EK coverage, and therefore it will only be partly reimbursed.

secondly you are becoming a cost factor which in fact led to all the redundancies and in future your sick balance and the involved costs will decide over your career path (e.g command upgrade - thatís from an internal source).

thirdly there is a problem with data protection. For the sake of paying your doctor visit EK demands every single detail of your treatment. Once this information is within EK literally every single person (including flight ops) can get information about your doctors visit, and can and will eventually use it against you.
back to why people where chosen to be made redundant- and/or have been rejected during the rejoining process, at a point where you have not given any detailed health information or havenít been examined by a EK doctor.



so good luck with your ďinsuranceĒ
Absolutely trueÖ Good friend of mine had an accident, ending up in the the emergency room with a complicated fracture in his left armÖ

Doctorís refused to start a treatment until theyíve had been given the approval by the EK insurance 🙄🙄 Ohhh BTW this happened on a Friday (at that time) 😂😂

Delayed the process by four hours 🥵


Good luck with thatÖ.
paule737 is offline  
Old 18th Apr 2022, 10:35
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Dubai
Age: 54
Posts: 285
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry but I still disagree with you. You are using a handful of extreme cases to try and make a very broad based point which is not accurate.

I have never heard of medical records being reviewed as part of the upgrade process, which suggests that the case in point was special for some reason...what is the real story?

I think that you have made the point that EK Clinic requires the patient's approval to release any medical records which I would assume is in line with anywhere in the world. If you have chosen to give that approval, you cannot complain that the company gets the information. I should point out that medical confidentiality is an obligation on the clinic, not the company.

I will concur on 2 points though :-
  • If the story I heard about the cancer patient is true, it will not cover the company in glory and I hope there will be a reckoning for that;
  • I am not thrilled with the way the coverage is headed and all the approvals issues. Still streets ahead of most places in the world though, including UK & USA.
Kennytheking is online now  
Old 18th Apr 2022, 15:54
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 209
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennytheking View Post
I'm sorry but I still disagree with you. You are using a handful of extreme cases to try and make a very broad based point which is not accurate.

I have never heard of medical records being reviewed as part of the upgrade process, which suggests that the case in point was special for some reason...what is the real story?

I think that you have made the point that EK Clinic requires the patient's approval to release any medical records which I would assume is in line with anywhere in the world. If you have chosen to give that approval, you cannot complain that the company gets the information. I should point out that medical confidentiality is an obligation on the clinic, not the company.

I will concur on 2 points though :-
  • If the story I heard about the cancer patient is true, it will not cover the company in glory and I hope there will be a reckoning for that;
  • I am not thrilled with the way the coverage is headed and all the approvals issues. Still streets ahead of most places in the world though, including UK & USA.
the cancer patient is about to die, since he lost his job due to his sickness he had to head back to a country where he does not get any proper treatment, and as he has no income anymore and no insurance, he cannot afford treatment somewhere else.

the lack of medical benefit and EK doctors to call and approve his treatments actually costed him a chance for survival. At the end mangers called him on attendance confronted him with his illness and itís not acceptable to have him sick so many days for the upcoming treatments. The affected manager had details, which never should have been in this department.

thatís a good friend of mine and his doctor gave him just a limit time as there is nothing they can do. after years living with cancer and no treatment he finally found a job which will cover some treatment. Unfortunately itís far to late to recover and they only can assist in lowering the pain till the end.
Thatís a very very real story and I have been with him when he had spoken to managers.
the contract was more or less ended by a senior manger him selves himself.

So please donít tell what this company is able to do if they want. It a very emotional story for my self.

Trust me the other story is not any less reality.
in this: once the attendance is covered by EK doctors no one should have the right and ability to demand more details as
1. they are no medical professionals
2. itís confidential between you and the EK doctor- thatís why it is a EK doctor

attendance is a career factor, today more than in the past. But again once your attendance is supported by EK clinic no one should have the right to judge over it, nor to get some details.
EK clinic issues a medical license and thatís all what flight ops needs to know.

Have you never asked why you have to go to fleet once your doctor says you need a certain procedure. Itís not their judgment when and how the procedure can or should be done.
thatís you and the doctor only, once accepted by the EK clinic. No one else. I call this soft breaking of confidentiality, because they more or less they force you to explain your state of health yourself outside of any doctors confidentiality.

but I also understand as usual all stories we hear and did not happen to ourselves cannot be true. I also said itís not a general behavior and I am just concerned over the fact it happens and can happen, and the fact it did. Therefore it can happen at any time when ever they want, because the ability in in-confidentiality is generally given.

i agree totally in the point confidentiality is a topic for the clinics. But as soon as benefits is about to pay the bills they need to see the details, and with a little medical understanding and knowledge of procedures and pharmaceuticals you get a pretty good picture of how it can go ahead. This is the point where confidentiality is broken as the data is in the administrative part of the company where there is no more data protection given.

Last edited by flyTheBigFatLady; 18th Apr 2022 at 16:55.
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2022, 08:32
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Limbo
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medical background check at joining.

Guys could somebody please tell me if an EASA Class 1 unrestricted is in itself a medical background check, if that makes any sense? I remember some years ago when I looked at EK recruitment that there was the company Medical but if I remember correctly they also wanted release of medical records from your AME and licensing authority? Stand to be corrected there.

I had a medical issue once upon a time which has now been rectified with no recurring issues etc but more than likely it would disqualify me from the joining process. I feel I do not need to disclose this as it does not represent my current situation. I'm sure not everyone getting jobs in the middle east/Asia is filling out every little medical condition etc.

I'm interested to hear from new/recent joiners directly via PM if possible.

Thanks so much,

Wish you all the very best.
Oblivion67 is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2022, 17:30
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: up north
Posts: 176
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Before covid i went to Dubai and got hired by EK.
Same ear problem as the lady above, but if the test is within limits no issues at all.
I even got recalled (but declined the offer).

Good luck.
Giuff is offline  
Old 6th Dec 2022, 19:23
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Medicals in emirates are not like Medicals in civilization.

You will hear of young fit folk having all kinds of diagnosis which puts their career in jeopardy.

Emirates have access to your medical records and actually got all the pandemic redundant/rejoiners to sign a declaration to allow access of this before rehiring them.
nimrodjoe is online now  
Old 7th Dec 2022, 07:33
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Limbo
Posts: 36
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What EK would have access to my EASA medical records? Whattttt?

I mean, I do remember they wanted me to request them from my AME and pass them on to them, and that was standard procedure. I had a clean slate at the time.

Surely the current Unrestricted class 1 is in itself sufficient.There must be guys going to ek not disclosing all previous medical issues?

Does anyone know the exact procedure or can find out?

Thanks everyone!
Oblivion67 is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2022, 08:14
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
An unrestricted class 1 EASA is certainly not an unrestricted class 1 GCAA medical. Itís quite common to have restrictions on a GCAA medical here and not on your one back home.

in the context of those with restrictions often getting the boot or at best scraping back , Iíd be very cautious .

the medical in ek has terminated many pilots careers who otherwise would have enjoyed long careers back home . Remember your on your own in ek!
nimrodjoe is online now  
Old 7th Dec 2022, 08:16
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My advice for anybody with any relevant medical history (however small) do not go to EK- I have seen it time and time again over the years ,

Conclusion;
bit dodgy in the sim - no problem
Relevant medical history (however small) - donít risk it !

And do not lie on your medical form - the consequences are severe for breaking the law.
nimrodjoe is online now  
Old 7th Dec 2022, 08:18
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: up north
Posts: 176
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One guy from Colombia failed the medical when i joined years ago.
He was an hardcore body builder, no fat mass at all, but not enough tall according to his weight.
According to EK medical requirements his BMI was far too high. Rejected.

Crazy stuff i have seen.

Giuff is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2022, 08:23
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2021
Location: Meydan South 5 Star Villas
Posts: 158
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To sum up the mentality , if your heart rate is below 60 in renewal , they make you do star jumps to get it between 60-100 resting.

EK AMEs will refer you to external clinics in Dubai on your renewals. These guys will find all kinds of ďconditionsĒ as ek will pay whatever it takes to get you back asap - big money spinner but leaves many pilots up the creek.

The money spent on your medical ďinvestigation and/or treatment ď all goes on your EK HR portal for you to view online and is accessible by Emirates.

in other words it forms part of your ďemployment historyĒ

Most pilots who come here are aware that thereís legislation against this in their home country but join accepting the risks in pursuit of the rewards.

Last edited by nimrodjoe; 7th Dec 2022 at 08:41.
nimrodjoe is online now  
Old 7th Dec 2022, 18:34
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 654
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Medical Nonsense

I had a minor issue with raised BP whilst in a medical setting (called whitecoat) which developed whilst at EK. A certain "Garden Knome" got wind of this and decided to use me as part of his career path up the greasy pole. In the end I was medically grounded for 4 months and tested for everything related to cardiovascular health and risk, fortunately I avoided the dreaded sleep clinic.
The result? I was diagnosed with hypertension and prescribed medication (which I never took as I dont have high BP) and was required to wear a 24hr BP monitor periodically to retain my medical.
Now it may seem like a small thing to many, but for me it created pointless stress for the family and I and wasted about 30000 DHS on pointless tests.
Subsequent to this I found a sensible western Doc at the EK clinic (now retired) who understood the situation and made life a lot simpler.
Now back in the real world I've had no such problems, my medical now involves a chat with my AME about day to day life etc and I'm good to go.
The moral of the story is that the EK clinic can [email protected]#k with your life far more than fleet or crewing, caveat emptor!
Monarch Man is offline  
Old 7th Dec 2022, 20:49
  #34 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 209
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monarch Man View Post
I had a minor issue with raised BP whilst in a medical setting (called whitecoat) which developed whilst at EK. A certain "Garden Knome" got wind of this and decided to use me as part of his career path up the greasy pole. In the end I was medically grounded for 4 months and tested for everything related to cardiovascular health and risk, fortunately I avoided the dreaded sleep clinic.
The result? I was diagnosed with hypertension and prescribed medication (which I never took as I dont have high BP) and was required to wear a 24hr BP monitor periodically to retain my medical.
Now it may seem like a small thing to many, but for me it created pointless stress for the family and I and wasted about 30000 DHS on pointless tests.
Subsequent to this I found a sensible western Doc at the EK clinic (now retired) who understood the situation and made life a lot simpler.
Now back in the real world I've had no such problems, my medical now involves a chat with my AME about day to day life etc and I'm good to go.
The moral of the story is that the EK clinic can [email protected]#k with your life far more than fleet or crewing, caveat emptor!
not to mention that a 4 month grounding are very contributing in cases like COV to get rid of an employee over his medical record.
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 8th Dec 2022, 03:06
  #35 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,672
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Monarch Man View Post
I had a minor issue with raised BP whilst in a medical setting (called whitecoat) which developed whilst at EK. A certain "Garden Knome" got wind of this and decided to use me as part of his career path up the greasy pole. In the end I was medically grounded for 4 months and tested for everything related to cardiovascular health and risk, fortunately I avoided the dreaded sleep clinic.
The result? I was diagnosed with hypertension and prescribed medication (which I never took as I dont have high BP) and was required to wear a 24hr BP monitor periodically to retain my medical.
Now it may seem like a small thing to many, but for me it created pointless stress for the family and I and wasted about 30000 DHS on pointless tests.
Subsequent to this I found a sensible western Doc at the EK clinic (now retired) who understood the situation and made life a lot simpler.
Now back in the real world I've had no such problems, my medical now involves a chat with my AME about day to day life etc and I'm good to go.
The moral of the story is that the EK clinic can [email protected]#k with your life far more than fleet or crewing, caveat emptor!
The Gnome destroyed a few careers in his climb up the pole.






SOPS is online now  
Old 8th Dec 2022, 11:24
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2021
Location: stuttgart
Posts: 209
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS View Post
The Gnome destroyed a few careers in his climb up the pole.
gnome is one of the worst beings I ever met, beside incompetent, He has no moral and his existence is defined to compensate his appearance with the power he has.
flyTheBigFatLady is offline  
Old 8th Dec 2022, 12:40
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai Hills
Age: 36
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by flyTheBigFatLady View Post
gnome is one of the worst beings I ever met, beside incompetent, He has no moral and his existence is defined to compensate his appearance with the power he has.
The whole reason he is in Dubai. In his home country he would be fully ignored like he used to be. And now desperately compensating and showing himself and others he is "allmighty powerful". I find this more an act of cowardness. Very sad.
​​​​​​I tend to see these personalities popping up here in Dubai. In their tiny bubble they are finally master of their tiny domain. If you get dependant of such idiots, then it gets risky. At EK you are totally dependant of such morons. But hey at least you can wear a hat

Last edited by Shazeem; 8th Dec 2022 at 16:12.
Shazeem is offline  
Old 8th Dec 2022, 13:03
  #38 (permalink)  
short flights long nights
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 3,672
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Shazeem View Post
The whole reason he is in Dubai. In his home country he would be fully ignored like he used to be. And now desperately compensating and showing himself and others he is "allmighty powerful". I find this more an act of cowardness. Very sad.
​​​​​​I tend to see these personalities popping up here in Dubai. In their tiny bubble they are finally master of their tiny domain. If you get dependant of such idiots, then it gets risky. At EK you are totally dependant of such morons. But hey at least you can wear a hat
Is he back in Dubai?
SOPS is online now  
Old 8th Dec 2022, 16:15
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Dubai Hills
Age: 36
Posts: 35
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SOPS View Post
Is he back in Dubai?
Was..No, I hope he is not somewhere within a radius of 420NM. There are plenty of idiots left.
​​​​
Shazeem is offline  
Old 8th Dec 2022, 21:46
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: i'm in the parking lot
Posts: 249
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Kennytheking View Post
I'm sorry but I still disagree with you. You are using a handful of extreme cases to try and make a very broad based point which is not accurate.

I have never heard of medical records being reviewed as part of the upgrade process, which suggests that the case in point was special for some reason...what is the real story?
I am sorry but I disagree with you, Kenney..... It happened to me. My upgrade in 2012 was delayed because of a longer-term sickness that was initially due to a misdiagnosed by EK medical. "You've had too many sick days... Etc"

And I still hold the letter from fleet as proof.

Yes it does happen.
The Turtle is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information

Copyright © 2023 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.