Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Medical & Health
Reload this Page >

CAA Approved Cardiologists

Medical & Health News and debate about medical and health issues as they relate to aircrews and aviation. Any information gleaned from this forum MUST be backed up by consulting your state-registered health professional or AME. Due to advertising legislation in various jurisdictions, endorsements of individual practitioners is not permitted.

CAA Approved Cardiologists

Old 22nd Mar 2017, 09:51
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 6
CAA Approved Cardiologists

Is there anywhere online I can find a list of CAA approved Cardiologists? I've looked through the CAA website and it doesn't seem to have them anywhere and the AMeC have only given me one option.
thegrandbus is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 17:01
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: May 2006
Location: uk
Posts: 9
There are no longer any 'approved' cardiologists. You can arrange an appointment with any consultant cardiologist, just make sure that they're aware of the CAA requirements. Your GP may be able to advise you.
flightychick is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 20:34
  #3 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: Spain and United Kingdom
Posts: 1,779
Your AME is the best Dr to advise you. GP's aren't interested, unless the UK NHS requires investigations. Expect to pay £250 for an initial private patient Cardiologist consultation and £180 for annual follow ups. £240 for an excersise ECG in addition. The Belgrano CAA Medical Branch was much cheaper..
Nightstop is offline  
Old 22nd Mar 2017, 21:45
  #4 (permalink)  
Está servira para distraerle.
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In a perambulator.
Posts: 4
The stress ECG is all about the Bruce Protocol which doesn't hurt any more than any other. You'll probably have to fund it yourself and if the treadmill test is what this is all about, make sure that you take the original trace with you and get the specialist to send you the necessary letter by email for forwarding to the CAA.
Spire hospitals appear to have cardiologists who practice the arts of private practice. The ones I've met have all seemed perfectly au fait with the style of CAA requirements and their input has always been accepted by the CAA.
cavortingcheetah is offline  
Old 23rd Mar 2017, 21:32
  #5 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Moon
Posts: 202
I think you also have to make sure that the consultant is accredited to the appropriate professional organisation.
AyrTC is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2017, 19:39
  #6 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Peoples' Democratic Republic of Wurzelsetshire
Age: 49
Posts: 1,181
Reading between the lines, what you're looking for is a Cardiologist who specialises in Physiology. Call your nearest Spire/Circle etc and ask who they have on their list. You'll need a referral though as they don't normally just take people off the street.
As for the Campaign, any decent Cardiologist can bat away their 'experts' opinions, most of these Cardios know each other but they're just like the rest of us, each has their own opinion.
Standard Noise is offline  
Old 10th Apr 2017, 21:57
  #7 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kiwiland
Posts: 637
A consultant cardiologist is a consultant cardiologist. Accreditation is the process by which a doctor becomes a consultant, and they dont specialise in physiology! The problem is that the CAA will want the report to confirm specific elements which are often taken for granted by doctors and so not written down in non CAA reports, so I agree the best thing is to ask your AME for the name of a cardiologist who has done this before

You will probably need to see them privately in a private hospital. The cardiologist will normally work in the private hospital nearest their NHS hospital simply for convenience. This may be run by Circle or Spire, but they are just hospital operators, dont 'employ' or 'own' consultants. The doctor is just renting space and so the name of the hospital/landlord is totally irrelevant. In London cardiologists work in rooms and this may be cheaper and faster, but always get a quote in advance.

And finally, although opinions can differ, for a standard test such as an exercise ECG it matters not a jot. I am sure you have enough to worry about without making a meal out of a simple task of finding a doctor!
Radgirl is offline  
Old 21st Apr 2017, 19:10
  #8 (permalink)  
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Peoples' Democratic Republic of Wurzelsetshire
Age: 49
Posts: 1,181
Apologies Radgirl, what I meant was Electro Physiology, my error. And for the record, I was directed to a Cardiologist 4 years ago who had operated on a colleague and fitted a stent. When I spoke to his secretary about my issue, she said I needed to see someone who specialises in Electro Physiology rather than one who specialises in Interventional Cardiology. So, if that particular medical secretary misspoke, then it appears I have been furnished with the wrong information.

It's nice to see that PPRuNe is still a bastion of self righteousness. No wonder I wandered off into the wilderness years ago...............
Standard Noise is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 09:42
  #9 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kiwiland
Posts: 637
Thanks Standard Noise

Yes electrophysiological studies are a sub specialty of cardiology. However, to confuse you it is interventional cardiology. I think my advice still stands - the OP didnt suggest that he needed an EPS. As you point out, if someone asks for a consultation with the 'wrong' consultant, his secretary will normally put them right and nobody is offended.

Not sure where the self righteousness comes in - most OPs on this board have concerns about their ability to keep flying, especially if it is their career. We need to give them simple advice so they can get the matter sorted. Getting to see a cardiologist isnt rocket science.
Radgirl is offline  
Old 22nd Apr 2017, 13:44
  #10 (permalink)  
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: FL000
Posts: 55
There is in most centres very little crossover between EP and the coronary angioplasty bods, ergo the need for separate referrals even if both subsets technically belong under the interventional cardiology umbrella. And don't even get me started on the percutaneous valve chaps/chapesses...

Radgirl, you often offer sound and timely advice but you do come across a bit curt a lot of the time, just saying...
AngioJet is offline  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.