Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Ground & Other Ops Forums > Medical & Health
Reload this Page >

Collective Colour Vision Thread 4

Medical & Health News and debate about medical and health issues as they relate to aircrews and aviation. Any information gleaned from this forum MUST be backed up by consulting your state-registered health professional or AME. Due to advertising legislation in various jurisdictions, endorsements of individual practitioners is not permitted.

Collective Colour Vision Thread 4

Old 4th May 2017, 14:17
  #441 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Turkey
Posts: 1
Colour Blind Lantern Test places in the world ? Holmes Wright Lantern Type A

Hello people I'm new to this forum,

I'm searching for Holmes-Wright Lantern Type A test center for color blind testing. But there is no list on the internet... Do you know anywhere that has the Holmes-Wright Lantern Type A in the world ? My medical depends on that.. Visa is a problem about getting in to countries but i have to know where can i find this test. Beyne's or Spectrolux are other options... It would be really good to have open addresses or Contact info of test centers who are equipped with these tests.

Best regards
KaanT is offline  
Old 6th May 2017, 05:22
  #442 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London, UK
Age: 36
Posts: 34
beynes - lisbon, portugal, ucs.pt
spectrolux switzerland - search cvdpilots website or this thread dor the address.
Also join cvdpa website guys to join the cause against this.
pponte is offline  
Old 6th May 2017, 05:26
  #443 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London, UK
Age: 36
Posts: 34
european cvds

Hi all,

I'm starting a whatsapp group for cvds in Europe.


Happy to set to others for other regions.

I need to understand how many are still struggling with this, what can be done about this and who'd support, thanks.
pponte is offline  
Old 18th May 2017, 12:48
  #444 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Consett, Co. Durham
Posts: 4
Has anyone failed the various colour blind tests and opted to go for the "restricted" CPL which limits you to daytime VFR flying?

If I go to all the trouble and costs of finding out they won't give me a full class 1 is it worth seeking this exemption and maybe undertake parachute, glider tow, banner advertising or work towards a daytime flight instructing gig?
wuas680 is offline  
Old 31st May 2017, 02:24
  #445 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 319
Assuming you are based in the UK then it is perfectly possible to be a professional pilot. I am CVD and have a restricted Class 1 medical. My CPL has no restrictions - the restrictions are all on the medical. My medical limits me to day only, no public transport and I must have a radio when flying at an aerodrome with ATC.

There is no VFR only restriction and I have an IR(r). It is now possible to get a full EASA IR as well, because the night rating/qualification pre-requisite has been dropped - but of course you will not be allowed to use it at night.

I work as an FI. I don't find the night restriction particularly onerous, but it is pointless and irritating so I might have a go at the CAD test sometime just to see if I can pass it. I am way too old for a public transport job but I would like to do the occasional night flight and instruction.
dobbin1 is offline  
Old 31st May 2017, 21:08
  #446 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Wrexham
Posts: 54
Very very interesting. Are you fixed or rotary wing?

I came here, mainly, as I'm CVD and I'd like to try and find someone who can do the CAA approved CVD tests only (hopefully for free) to see if it's worth me paying for a full medical and then start saving for my PPL(H) or even CPL(H).
Animal Mother is offline  
Old 1st Jun 2017, 12:21
  #447 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Lagos
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by pponte View Post
Hi all,

I'm starting a whatsapp group for cvds in Europe.


Happy to set to others for other regions.

I need to understand how many are still struggling with this, what can be done about this and who'd support, thanks.
hello pponte,

how can i join the group please?
Flyer2013 is offline  
Old 2nd Jun 2017, 17:20
  #448 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: West Sussex
Posts: 319
Originally Posted by Animal Mother View Post
Very very interesting. Are you fixed or rotary wing?

I came here, mainly, as I'm CVD and I'd like to try and find someone who can do the CAA approved CVD tests only (hopefully for free) to see if it's worth me paying for a full medical and then start saving for my PPL(H) or even CPL(H).
I am fixed wing.
dobbin1 is offline  
Old 3rd Jun 2017, 07:04
  #449 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: London, UK
Age: 36
Posts: 34
whatsapp group

Originally Posted by Flyer2013 View Post
hello pponte,

how can i join the group please?
send me your whatsapp # via pm. Thanks
pponte is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2017, 19:41
  #450 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2
Guys,

does anybody know where i can take the Holmes Wright test in England?

Thank you!
Cakbulut is offline  
Old 14th Jun 2017, 21:22
  #451 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Wrexham
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by dobbin1 View Post
Assuming you are based in the UK then it is perfectly possible to be a professional pilot. I am CVD and have a restricted Class 1 medical. My CPL has no restrictions - the restrictions are all on the medical. My medical limits me to day only, no public transport and I must have a radio when flying at an aerodrome with ATC.

There is no VFR only restriction and I have an IR(r). It is now possible to get a full EASA IR as well, because the night rating/qualification pre-requisite has been dropped - but of course you will not be allowed to use it at night.

I work as an FI. I don't find the night restriction particularly onerous, but it is pointless and irritating so I might have a go at the CAD test sometime just to see if I can pass it. I am way too old for a public transport job but I would like to do the occasional night flight and instruction.
Looking a bit deeper into this. For rotary, to gain the CPL(H), there is a 5 hour night flight (of which 2 hours are solo). A failure on the Class 1 (due to CVD) restricts the pilot to daytime only, meaning the CPL(H) can't be gained in the first place. SO, although the medical allows commercial flying (with restrictions), it's actually impossible to get your CPL(H) ticket in the first place to make those restrictions applicable.

I'm gutted about this as daytime restriction was my final hope.

Can anyone confirm that I'm correct in what I've found?

Last edited by Animal Mother; 15th Jun 2017 at 18:04.
Animal Mother is offline  
Old 20th Jun 2017, 15:39
  #452 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Netherlands
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by KaanT View Post
Hello people I'm new to this forum,

I'm searching for Holmes-Wright Lantern Type A test center for color blind testing. But there is no list on the internet... Do you know anywhere that has the Holmes-Wright Lantern Type A in the world ? My medical depends on that.. Visa is a problem about getting in to countries but i have to know where can i find this test. Beyne's or Spectrolux are other options... It would be really good to have open addresses or Contact info of test centers who are equipped with these tests.

Best regards
KLM Health Services in Amsterdam
Cakbulut is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2017, 13:09
  #453 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: New Delhi, India
Posts: 1
Airline medicals

Hi, if a colour deficient person passes the Farnsworth lantern test or CAD test, then can an airline (especially Indian airlines) deny them a job saying that they have color vision deficiency?
PilotMario is offline  
Old 26th Jun 2017, 14:04
  #454 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Wrexham
Posts: 54
Originally Posted by wuas680 View Post
Has anyone failed the various colour blind tests and opted to go for the "restricted" CPL which limits you to daytime VFR flying?

If I go to all the trouble and costs of finding out they won't give me a full class 1 is it worth seeking this exemption and maybe undertake parachute, glider tow, banner advertising or work towards a daytime flight instructing gig?
Having a restriction is academic really, as, the requirement to do night flights on CPL training will prevent you from attaining your CPL in the first place in order to have those restrictions applied.
Animal Mother is offline  
Old 28th Jun 2017, 18:49
  #455 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Wrexham
Posts: 54
Have any of you been to City (prior to Class 1 or 2) for their suite of tests?

I've just had an email back from them with a quote and description of what they'll do. I think I'll go and book an assessment with them.
Animal Mother is offline  
Old 5th Sep 2017, 00:13
  #456 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: England
Posts: 3
Questions about colour vision tests

hello guys, so today i took the cad test and failed it, turns out its red green colour blind here are my results

Red Green: 10.58

Yellow Blue: 1.00

i also failed the plates test just by one.

im wondering if there is anyway i can get my unrestricted medical or anyway round this such as taking it in another place or country

i took the test at heathrow and have heard that quite a few people can pass the test at city university of london, but other than that is there anyway around this? I can see colours everyday fine and tell the difference, even on simulators i can see the difference when coming into land

Ive just been reading on the city university of london website about another test: ACAD (Achromatopsia Colour Assessment and Diagnosis) and im wondering if this test would be accepted as part of a medical?

Thanks in advance
ASB131 is offline  
Old 7th Sep 2017, 13:41
  #457 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 7
Hey folks, first time posting here!

Fairly similar story to a lot of people on here, I went to City Uni to complete their colour assessments in hope that I could pass the CAD test to get a class 1 medical. As it turns out, it didn't go to plan, however I will give a bit more detail of what to expect in case anyone is going there soon...

The whole assessment includes the Ishihara plates, AO-HRR pseudoisochromatic plates, City University (2 ed.), Farnsworth D15, Nagel Anomaloscope, and the CAD test. It's worth noting that the CAD test (the only one that can help you get your class 1 after the Ishihara plates) is last in the assessment - more about that in a moment.

Once taken to a small office, they will begin with the Ishihara plates. I, as expected, failed these miserably, but this is why I'm here, right? The AO-HRR pseudoisochromatic plates were quite interesting and I seemed to do alright on them, there were a few plates where I couldn't see anything, but most of them I saw something. The City University test was also not too bad, in the end I scored 7/10. I had very little hopes for the Farnsworth D15 as I have never been able to do these, and have always been amazed at how effortlessly my girlfriend can do them. When the colours are in the correct order on the Farnsworth, it looks right and makes sense. It's just that my attempts can also look correct but actually be all over the place.

Next up came the test which seemed to take forever to complete, the Nagel Anomaloscope. I don't know if I didn't understand properly what was going on or not, or whether I was just getting them wrong quite often, but we seemed to spend about half an hour just on this test. At the end, the assessor told me that this test was suggesting protanomaly rather than protanopia, which is quite interesting. NB. if anyone wants some more information about how these individual tests work, just drop me a PM.

Finally came the CAD test. At this point I felt my eyes were tired and strained, especially from the Nagel, which I had one eye covered for the majority of and therefore it took a while to 're-boot' properly for the CAD test. First up is a tutorial-type test, where you should get 10/10. Then it's a short blue-yellow colour test, which I was told I scored a lot better than the mean. The final section was the longer red-green test. In hindsight, and after reading through various forum posts, I feel like I rushed this a lot more than I should have, and in fact I should have had several pauses or breaks. I kick myself now because there were moments in the test where I felt quite disoriented and dizzy and felt myself just guessing the directions where I might have been able to actually get if I was fully concentrated. Overall, it's a real drain on the eyes and like many people have suggested, I would be concerned if a pilot ever saw anything remotely similar in a real flight.

My threshold for the CAD test was 21, way above the 12 needed for the CAA. Again, reading online, various people seem to believe that this test is not 100% accurate, and have managed to drop their average after repeated goes. I just wonder how I might've performed on it if it was just the CAD test I was taking, not all the others.

My question is, where should I go from here? Am I too far deficient to ever consider a career in commercial aviation, or is there still some hope out there somewhere? I can't really see myself ever doing anything else, but it just doesn't look possible at the moment to meet the CAA's requirements.

Looking forward to hear y'all thoughts! Cheers!
TOGATOM is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2017, 02:01
  #458 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: England
Posts: 3
@TOGATOM im in the same boat as you although im red green. Im wondering if the caa accepts any tests other than the ishihara plates and the cad test, if not hopefully they will change this soon considering they're not 100% reliable. Ive heard you can fly what ever in Australia. But i dont know if its worth moving there
ASB131 is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2017, 08:26
  #459 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: West Midlands
Posts: 7
As far as I'm aware, Ishihara and CAD are the main two that they test. I may be mistaken but I think they might still accept a pass on the Holmes-Wright lantern from registered practitioners, although I've heard the test is very hard to pass, even for people with only a slight colour deficiency. Can anyone confirm?
TOGATOM is offline  
Old 13th Sep 2017, 19:07
  #460 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: England
Posts: 3
damn that sucks if they dont, considering i seriously want to become a commercial pilot, it says on the CAA website they still accept the Holmes-Wright lantern test, but ive also heard people saying they dont, and im just confused on ways around it. anyway thanks for the info ill look into it
ASB131 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.