PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   Scruffy PM at Cenotaph today (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/627102-scruffy-pm-cenotaph-today.html)

57mm 10th Nov 2019 11:27

Scruffy PM at Cenotaph today
 
The hair I can accept; the unbuttoned jacket I cannot.

LowNSlow 10th Nov 2019 11:34

Mrs LNS was particularly scathing especially about the blue trousers as well as the unbuttoned jacket. Even grandpa Corbyn out dressed him! Did he get dressed in the dark?

Dominic Raab could have put his tie on straight as well if we are going to be hyper critical!

It still rankles to see Tony B Liar laying a wreath for all the people he sent to their graves in Iraq for the sake of Regime Change

Effluent Man 10th Nov 2019 11:59

Just had a chat with a friend in Paris who watched it. She said the GF was checking her phone at one point. Very respectful.

Pontius Navigator 10th Nov 2019 12:17


Originally Posted by Effluent Man (Post 10615329)
Just had a chat with a friend in Paris who watched it. She said the GF was checking her phone at one point. Very respectful.

Might have been taking a picture, had my phone out too to photograph both grandchildren one with wreath, one with a standard.

spekesoftly 10th Nov 2019 12:17


Originally Posted by 57mm (Post 10615308)
The hair I can accept; the unbuttoned jacket I cannot.

Not just his jacket, but also his coat. He also placed his wreath with the label at the bottom, therefore difficult to read upside down, unlike all the others.

Sallyann1234 10th Nov 2019 12:29


Originally Posted by 57mm (Post 10615308)
The hair I can accept; the unbuttoned jacket I cannot.

What did you expect? Boris has no respect for anyone or anything except himself.

Nige321 10th Nov 2019 13:07


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 10615349)
What did you expect? Boris has no respect for anyone or anything except himself.

Most people couldn't give a toss what coat or tie a politician wears to place a wreath.
I was thinking more about my uncle, lost in a DC3 in 1944...

Get a life...:ugh:


Bergerie1 10th Nov 2019 13:21

And I was thinking of my grandfather and his two brothers all killed at Ypres. That is why I would like our PM to show more respect.

Brookmans Park 10th Nov 2019 14:04

Bojo
 
Was he wearing a poppy? I couldn't see one

Cornish Jack 10th Nov 2019 14:37

Similar concerns expressed in the Mil Av forum.
Get a life...https://www.pprune.org/images/smilies2/eusa_wall.gif
That crass statement beggars belief in the inapropriateness of its context!:mad: :yuk:
As regards the Bullingdon Buffoon's public behavious, this is a 'once a year' ceremony. The format is not desperately complicated, even for the Eton 'elite'. All that was needed was a little effort, some genuine emotion and an ability, for once, to operate without the prompting of his puppet-master! What, in the name of all that's wonderful, has brought this country to the state which can accept this bumbling eejit as its political figurehead?

wiggy 10th Nov 2019 15:04


Originally Posted by Cornish Jack (Post 10615419)
What, in the name of all that's wonderful, has brought this country to the state which can accept this bumbling eejit as its political figurehead?

Problem is he's not just a figure head ( actually, on second thoughts)........


Ant 10th Nov 2019 15:41


Most people couldn't give a toss what coat or tie a politician wears to place a wreath.
Well, Nige321, you will find you are one of a very, very small minority indeed.
You don't give a toss, DESPITE your Uncle's life being lost during the very same war that this morning's ceremony was commemorating. Thats a bit strange isnt it?

pr00ne 10th Nov 2019 15:55

Quite the contrary, I’ m pretty sure that the vast majority really couldn’t care less for an old fashioned outdated concept of formality and perceived smartness, and that Nige321 is most probably typical of most people as opposed to the tiny outraged minority on this rumour site.

Grayfly 10th Nov 2019 15:56

Our PM should at least LOOK the part even if he obviously can't DO the part. Hopefully more and more will see that this emperor has no clothes.

Sallyann1234 10th Nov 2019 15:59

The ceremony at the Cenotaph is the most solemn and respectful event of the year. Everyone in attendance should be dressed and behaved accordingly.
Last year, Corbyn was rightly criticised for his inappropriate appearance, and this year he was dressed correctly. It's a shame that Boris hasn't learned the same lesson.
But then as we know, he just doesn't care.

Pontius Navigator 10th Nov 2019 16:04

Pr00ne, I am not so sure.

I was at a village church this morning. It was standing room only. Cubs, guides, cadets at the front, all ages, besides the organizations from teens upwards.

Some where 'incorrectly dressed' others dressed formally.

Nige321, it is not a come as you are event, dressing formally shows care and respect. Admittedly, better to be there than not there at all.

Nige321 10th Nov 2019 16:21


Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator (Post 10615473)
Pr00ne, I am not so sure.

I was at a village church this morning. It was standing room only. Cubs, guides, cadets at the front, all ages, besides the organizations from teens upwards.

Some where 'incorrectly dressed' others dressed formally.

Nige321, it is not a come as you are event, dressing formally shows care and respect. Admittedly, better to be there than not there at all.

I didn't say it was.
Yes, Boris looked out of place, as JC did last year.
I really don't care, today is about remembering lost souls.

Maybe those who choose todays ceremony to score cheap political points should look in the mirror...

Pontius Navigator 10th Nov 2019 16:28


Originally Posted by Nige321 (Post 10615485)
Maybe those who choose todays ceremony to score cheap political points should look in the mirror...

Who, apart from here on JB, is making a political point?

I have just watched it. I though JC had made a good show this year. I have to agree that BJ certainly lacked attention to detail.

I wonder not whether he is fit for office but whether he is fit, or perhaps his clothes don't fit.

PS, just saw his shoes!

Auxtank 10th Nov 2019 19:31

I'd have been hauled over the coals by various persons if I showed up like that to that ceremony.
FFS Boris - at least look the part. Where the hell was the PPS?

Probably checking something on their phone.

I was in Waitrose this afternoon - in the check-out queue I looked to see how many were wearing poppies - there were none - not a single one and I thought; "You F*ckers". I have seen so few being worn this year generally when out and about.

RIP and safe anchorage to company and crew of HMS Matabele. You are remembered - with love, you brave old souls, every man jack of you. Fair winds and calm seas...

https://i.postimg.cc/nh8tqrSm/HMS-Matabele.jpg

VP959 10th Nov 2019 19:49


Originally Posted by Auxtank (Post 10615585)
I'd have been hauled over the coals by various persons if I showed up like that to that ceremony.
FFS Boris - at least look the part. Where the hell was the PPS?

Probably checking something on their phone.

I believe that BJ has deliberately adopted the scruffy appearance as a "distinguishing feature". All I can say is that being deliberately scruffy at such a sombre and serious occasion is wholly unacceptable. I thought JC was disrespectful last year, but at least he made some effort this year (although he could have done up his tie properly).



Originally Posted by Auxtank (Post 10615585)
I was in Waitrose this afternoon - in the check-out queue I looked to see how many were wearing poppies - there were none - not a single one and I thought; "You F*ckers". I have seen so few being worn this year generally out and about.

I stopped and chatted to the British Legion chap selling poppies outside the supermarket last week. He was hardly selling any at all, apparently. He'd asked the supermarket if he could move his stand from the entrance foyer to the one at the exit (which they did) in the hope of collecting more donations. He said that lots of people walked past and apologised for not having any change, and I suspect that may well be a reason. It seems that a fair few people walk around without cash now, especially at places like supermarkets, where the use of cards is pretty much universal. Perhaps the British Legion needs to adapt and introduce contactless payment systems for the volunteers who are out and about collecting. I suspect they may even get larger individual donations if they were to do this.

Right now I'm not wearing a poppy, but I did buy a pair of socks in M&S a couple of weeks ago that are adorned with poppies, and so I'm wearing them instead. M&S donated a part of the price of the socks to the British Legion Poppy Appeal, something that seemed to me to be an excellent idea.


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:25.


Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.