PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

Avionker 6th Jul 2022 11:16


Originally Posted by LowNSlow (Post 11257118)
KnC, that actually reads like an EU unilateral action rather than something the UK has initiated.

Project Horizon never stipulated that the research had to be done in an EU country so this sounds a bit off compared to the original, signed and agreed, package.

As I understand it by failing to fully implement the Withdrawal Agreement the Tory Government has prevented the UK from achieving Associated County status. Under the existing ERC rules these grants cannot now be given UNLESS the research is carried out in EU member states.

From the ERCwebsite:-

ďThe European Research Council (ERC) is a funding organisation for frontier research. It aims to stimulate scientific excellence in Europe by funding the very best, creative researchers of any nationality and age, and supporting their innovative ideas. Researchers from anywhere in the world can apply for ERC grants provided the research they undertake will be carried out in an EU Member State or Associated Country


Denti 6th Jul 2022 18:45


Originally Posted by LowNSlow (Post 11257118)
KnC, that actually reads like an EU unilateral action rather than something the UK has initiated.

Project Horizon never stipulated that the research had to be done in an EU country so this sounds a bit off compared to the original, signed and agreed, package.

That Q&A was actually done and published prematurely, expecting the UK to implement its obligations agreed in both the WA and TCA which it never did, which lead to never having a ratified deal joining Horizon2020 as an associated country. The TCA itself only contains the option to join, but not an ironclad promise, and of course the EU has and had no obligation to let the UK join.

kghjfg 6th Jul 2022 20:17

Iím finding it interesting that Brexiteers are supporting Boris remaining as PM.

It throws a new light on the sort of people that voted for Brexit.

Cornish Jack 6th Jul 2022 22:13


Originally Posted by kghjfg (Post 11257415)
Iím finding it interesting that Brexiteers are supporting Boris remaining as PM.

It throws a new light on the sort of people that voted for Brexit.

:confused: :confused: :confused: ... who on earth do you think voted to put the prat into office in the first place ?
In order to BE a Brexiteer, you would have to be "that sort of people" :rolleyes:

alfaman 7th Jul 2022 08:28


Originally Posted by Cornish Jack (Post 11257449)
:confused: :confused: :confused: ... who on earth do you think voted to put the prat into office in the first place ?
In order to BE a Brexiteer, you would have to be "that sort of people" :rolleyes:

A little harsh, perhaps, many were sucked in by the lies & mistruths but I get your point: it's interesting how many of those wailing for him, & demanding that "he has a mandate! He won the election!" don't seem to realise that's not how a parliamentary democracy works. He is the leader of the party that won the last election: if they want him gone, then so be it. The UK system of one person, one vote, is a vote for your local MP & the party they represent: not for the leader of that party.
They're also defending a man who promoted an acknowledged sexual predator into a position of authority over junior members of staff - an appalling betrayal of trust, & totally counter the appropriate course of events. Johnson's trashed pretty much every Nolan Principle in one move, good going, even for him! Perhaps it shows how far down through the looking glass this country seems to have gone.
  • 1.1 Selflessness. Holders of public office should act solely in terms of the public interest.
  • 1.2 Integrity.
  • 1.3 Objectivity.
  • 1.4 Accountability.
  • 1.5 Openness.
  • 1.6 Honesty.
  • 1.7 Leadership.

LowNSlow 7th Jul 2022 14:04

kghjfg: assuming that all Brexit supporters voted for Johnson is waaaay off the mark in my experience.

under_exposed 7th Jul 2022 15:58


Originally Posted by LowNSlow (Post 11257774)
kghjfg: assuming that all Brexit supporters voted for Johnson is waaaay off the mark in my experience.

All the Brexit votes I know are also Boris fans, never noticed that until now.

Toadstool 7th Jul 2022 16:19


Originally Posted by Grayfly (Post 11256501)
I don't know him, however, I get the impression he would be great to have on a night out on the town. Laughs all round, charming, interesting conversations etc. Great chap.

Totally unfit for office.

I met him when he came to visit before we went flying. He had a chat with us all for about 10 mins. Really personable. Too many mistakes and too many apologies. Time for someone else.

Sue VÍtements 7th Jul 2022 16:30

So can we finally say we "Got Johnson Done" ?

Sallyann1234 7th Jul 2022 17:41


Originally Posted by Toadstool (Post 11257827)
I met him when he came to visit before we went flying. He had a chat with us all for about 10 mins. Really personable. Too many mistakes and too many apologies. Time for someone else.

I didn't notice any apology in his resignation speech.

Ninthace 7th Jul 2022 17:48


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 11257863)
I didn't notice any apology in his resignation speech.

Why would he? In his eyes, it is not his fault.

[email protected] 7th Jul 2022 20:06

here is JP's take

Cornish Jack 7th Jul 2022 20:19

He's now in his late 50s - when he was at Eton, his form master, or possibly Headmaster, noted in one of his reports that "He cannot understand why I consider him unsuitable to be School Captain or vice Captain. " All these years later and absolutely nothing has changed ! Still exactly the same ingrained attitude of entitlement !! What is remarkable is the number of people who are unable to see him for what he is, or, even more nonsensical, are prepared to welcome a known narcissist liar,cheating adulterer, money-grubbing opportunist as Leader and National representative on the World stage !!:ugh: What does it say about the morals, ethics and personal standards of these self proclaiming 'Boris fans' ?

Torquetalk 7th Jul 2022 20:22

Blinkin eck, good bit of cropping going on.

Anyway, thank heavens that awful blagger and persuader of the serially gullible is gone.

SimonPaddo 7th Jul 2022 20:25

So BJ is now trying to be a remainer! 😂😂😂

Cornish Jack 7th Jul 2022 20:31

Crab - :ok:
It does seem that JP is becoming mellow in his critiques !
Additionally, while he correctly points out the hypocrisy of The Lying Buffoon's Party colleagues, he fails to mention those in the electorate who were similarly compliant. :yuk:

Krystal n chips 8th Jul 2022 07:16

In order of appearance, the first uttering from the apologists and Boris infatuated, and Boris himself of course, is "Got Brexit Done ! " ( next comes Covid, then Ukraine) so without further ado, another summary of the rolling hills, bathed in glorious sunshine, surrounded by no fiscal problems that affect less nations, often referred to as the sunny uplands and the magnificent benefits that accrue on a daily, if not hourly basis thanks entirely to "Got Brexit Done ! "...strangely, no mention of the much praised, on here, banking sector whose profits will, of course, be generously cascaded out to the UK population...

Collapsing public support suggests Brexit is anything but done | Brexit | The Guardian

Right20deg 8th Jul 2022 07:37


Originally Posted by Krystal n chips (Post 11258158)
In order of appearance, the first uttering from the apologists and Boris infatuated, and Boris himself of course, is "Got Brexit Done ! " ( next comes Covid, then Ukraine) so without further ado, another summary of the rolling hills, bathed in glorious sunshine, surrounded by no fiscal problems that affect less nations, often referred to as the sunny uplands and the magnificent benefits that accrue on a daily, if not hourly basis thanks entirely to "Got Brexit Done ! "...strangely, no mention of the much praised, on here, banking sector whose profits will, of course, be generously cascaded out to the UK population...

Collapsing public support suggests Brexit is anything but done | Brexit | The Guardian

__________________________________

I have told you before, the Guardians primary job was - is to absorb tea spills on the floor of a flight deck during light to moderate turbulence.
If anyone stooped to pick it up, eyebrows were raised. Careers not progressed.
Did you see the news about the labour party and rejoining the eu ? Did you see the news on how and who elects a Prime Minister ?
Did you see the news on the government problems in just about every other democracy? Or... do you only see one thing ?
Difficult isn't it ?

ATNotts 8th Jul 2022 07:55


Originally Posted by Right20deg (Post 11258169)
__________________________________

I have told you before, the Guardians primary job was - is to absorb tea spills on the floor of a flight deck during light to moderate turbulence.
If anyone stooped to pick it up, eyebrows were raised. Careers not progressed.
Did you see the news about the labour party and rejoining the eu ? Did you see the news on how and who elects a Prime Minister ?
Did you see the news on the government problems in just about every other democracy? Or... do you only see one thing ?
Difficult isn't it ?

Did you read the Guardian link? I believe not.

It is a straight forward factual article on the consequences of the Brexit agreement, and the swing in public opinion. 33% believe that Brexit has gone well, you are clearly in that camp, but the majority now appears to be with what one might call the 'I told you so' opinion.

As for The Guardian and its uses, I would suggest reading it and getting a counter view to The Telegraph could be more beneficial!

Krystal n chips 8th Jul 2022 08:02


Originally Posted by Right20deg (Post 11258169)
__________________________________

I have told you before, the Guardians primary job was - is to absorb tea spills on the floor of a flight deck during light to moderate turbulence.
If anyone stooped to pick it up, eyebrows were raised. Careers not progressed.
Did you see the news about the labour party and rejoining the eu ? Did you see the news on how and who elects a Prime Minister ?
Did you see the news on the government problems in just about every other democracy? Or... do you only see one thing ?
Difficult isn't it ?

Excellent intro....presumably, amongst, your many and varied, delusions of grandeur is the one you have some sort of authority over me

As I recall, flight decks have cup holders. This enables a cup of liquid to be securely stowed during turbulence rather than being hand held and duly sloshing onto the floor. Of course, the real skill would be to abstain from any liquids on the flight deck until the turbulence has abated....difficult isn't it.

Here in the real world, news does arrive in real time, so yes, I am familiar with the events you mention...how about yourself ?


All times are GMT. The time now is 00:43.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.