PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

ATNotts 16th Jun 2022 08:26


Originally Posted by occasional (Post 11246912)
Surprising as it may seem, goods might not go to the destination that was declared despite the presence of border controls. As you say, nobody calls the customs office on delivery of their goods - whether smuggled or not.

Yes, but the NIP ensures so far as is possible that NI cannot be used as a back door into the EU single market.

Effluent Man 16th Jun 2022 15:05

This isn't meant as a slur on the country but I would imagine quite a lot of Irishmen might be quite innovative when it comes to making a shekel or two.

B Fraser 17th Jun 2022 06:39

I see that exports to the EU are at an all time high, continuing the steady climb since January 2021.

UK trade - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

wiggy 17th Jun 2022 07:01


Originally Posted by B Fraser (Post 11247376)
I see that exports to the EU are at an all time high, continuing the steady climb since January 2021.

UK trade - Office for National Statistics (ons.gov.uk)

FWIW/ for completeness since we're dealing with statistics...further down the page


Goods exports to the EU reached £16.4 billion in April 2022, their highest level in current prices since the series began in 1997.
There's also this comment elsewhere in the ONS document that:


Unless otherwise specified, data within this bulletin are in current prices. This means they have not been adjusted to remove the effects of inflation.





B Fraser 17th Jun 2022 07:23

Mr Wiggy.....


Ssshhhh ! you will only put the Guardianistas off their soy and almond lattes.

alfaman 17th Jun 2022 08:17

"We advise caution when interpreting 2022 EU imports compared with other periods because of the change in data collection from the Intrastat survey in 2021 to customs declarations in 2022." - if in doubt, move the goalposts...

ATNotts 17th Jun 2022 09:11


Originally Posted by alfaman (Post 11247447)
"We advise caution when interpreting 2022 EU imports compared with other periods because of the change in data collection from the Intrastat survey in 2021 to customs declarations in 2022." - if in doubt, move the goalposts...

That is the issue with these figure. In UK I believe the threshold for completing Intrastat declarations was sales or acquisitions was around the £200k mark. Traders falling below that level didn't have to make customs declarations and therefore the actual figures for trade with the EU were pretty much guesswork. of course the very fact that all trade with the EU now has to involve a customs declaration is one of the chief reasons why many small traders have simply given up trading with the EU since there a real cost involved with making export and import declarations, normally charged to them by the carrier or forwarder entrusted with the shipment. I can also say without fear of contradiction that costs for larger businesses have also risen dramatically; I used to complete Intrastat declarations for the business I used to work for, and it took about 2 hours of my time once a month. We imported probably 20 shipments per month, and exported about half that amount. Assuming a not unreasonable GBP 30 for a single line import entry, which ours weren't - they were more complex - that makes per month £600.00, and that's before we even start on export declarations, though they are generally cheaper.

Another, albeit well know, Brexit bonus.

B Fraser 17th Jun 2022 09:34

A change in method would result in a step change in the charts. The growth appears to be sustained.

Happy days.

Ninthace 17th Jun 2022 09:41


Originally Posted by B Fraser (Post 11247489)
A change in method would result in a step change in the charts. The growth appears to be sustained.

Happy days.

All the graphs show is we have finally got the figures back to where they were before Brexit. How would the graphs had been without the impact of Brexit?

B Fraser 17th Jun 2022 10:54

The ONS reports that the figures are " at the highest levels since records began".

I don't see this reported on the BBC, hardly surprising.

Cornish Jack 17th Jun 2022 11:11


Originally Posted by B Fraser (Post 11247543)
The ONS reports that the figures are " at the highest levels since records began".

I don't see this reported on the BBC, hardly surprising.

Hardly surprising indeed ! The Beeb's remit under the terms of its charter is to provide accurate and confirmed information, so they will have taken careful note of the various caveats included in the report. It is a usedul process to avoid, where possible, fake news ! :ugh:

B Fraser 17th Jun 2022 11:56

Oh dear, you're not going to like this then. More head-banging required.

Office for National Statistics - BBC News

Cornish Jack 17th Jun 2022 13:02


Originally Posted by B Fraser (Post 11247584)
Oh dear, you're not going to like this then. More head-banging required.

Office for National Statistics - BBC News

I have to assume that you believe there to be some degree of logic in the above - I'm afraid that it escapes me entirely ... but that is not a novel experience vis-a-vis many of your posts. Perhaps i should try harder but, quite frankly, my dear, I can't be arsed.

B Fraser 17th Jun 2022 13:24

My point Father Jack, and I'm sure you understand perfectly, is that the ONS are quoted by the BBC when it suits their agenda. Your excuse that the BBC are not confident in what the ONS reports, rather falls apart when you click on the link.

I trust the above logic is not too hard for you to follow.

alfaman 17th Jun 2022 13:46


Originally Posted by B Fraser (Post 11247665)
My point Father Jack, and I'm sure you understand perfectly, is that the ONS are quoted by the BBC when it suits their agenda. Your excuse that the BBC are not confident in what the ONS reports, rather falls apart when you click on the link.

I trust the above logic is not too hard for you to follow.

No: as stated above, the BBC will quote ONS data, & any other source for that matter, when & if it meets their charter remit. That is their agenda. It really isn't that tricky :ugh:

B Fraser 17th Jun 2022 14:33

Odd then that it seems to pass the Guardian's criteria, even if they do add a sneering "despite Brexit" in the sub heading.

UK ramps up gas and oil exports to EU amid Russia’s war in Ukraine | Oil | The Guardian

Never mind, it seems that normal service has been restored as Brighton Council are blaming the profusion of weeds in the streets on.....you guessed it...... Brexit.

Brighton and Hove News » Brexit to blame for overgrown pavement weeds, council says

Grayfly 17th Jun 2022 14:42

Instead of sending people coming over from France in boats to Rwanda they should issue them with weeding tools and send them to Brighton. That would be a Brexit benefit.

Cornish Jack 17th Jun 2022 15:01


Originally Posted by B Fraser (Post 11247718)
Odd then that it seems to pass the Guardian's criteria, even if they do add a sneering "despite Brexit" in the sub heading.

UK ramps up gas and oil exports to EU amid Russia’s war in Ukraine | Oil | The Guardian

Never mind, it seems that normal service has been restored as Brighton Council are blaming the profusion of weeds in the streets on.....you guessed it...... Brexit.

Brighton and Hove News » Brexit to blame for overgrown pavement weeds, council says

I applaud your persistence in quoting from whatever sources you feel are appropriate. For myself, (as I have pointed out, ad nauseam) I gave up reading newspapers over 40 years ago.- Guardian or otherwise. If you wish to base your views and actions on the political views of such finely crafted journals as the Wail and the Excess, I shall continue to have difficulty in following the supposed logic. It appears to be a matter of greater consequence for you, than for me - as I pointed out in #12799

B Fraser 17th Jun 2022 15:48

I have never quoted either of those sources, please do your homework.

Cornish Jack 17th Jun 2022 20:56


Originally Posted by B Fraser (Post 11247757)
I have never quoted either of those sources, please do your homework.

...If you wish to base your views and actions on the political views ..."
Homework complete !


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:27.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.