PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

HOVIS 8th Nov 2021 15:40

There has been a shortage of toilet rolls since that leaflet came out. Good luck finding an unsoiled copy.

ATNotts 8th Nov 2021 15:51


Originally Posted by Ninthace (Post 11139082)
Yes. Still waiting for any Brexiteer to point to the delivery of any one of the so called advantages that made it all worthwhile. Shouldn't be too hard, just pull out any of your old leaflets and go through them. Come on, there has to be something positive you have achieved. Anything?

This 11 month old article from one of ORAC's favourite news sources gives an interesting critique on how Brexit promises had gone by then. I don't think anymore have been fulfilled since December last year!

https://www.politico.eu/article/15-t...d-what-it-got/

Ninthace 8th Nov 2021 16:26


Originally Posted by ATNotts (Post 11139131)
This 11 month old article from one of ORAC's favourite news sources gives an interesting critique on how Brexit promises had gone by then. I don't think anymore have been fulfilled since December last year!

https://www.politico.eu/article/15-t...d-what-it-got/

No wonder no Brexiteers will take up the challenge! I call chicken!

Torquetalk 8th Nov 2021 19:22

No price too high in the name of sovereign independence.

Faith has no need of reason. Blind faith even less so.

ATNotts 8th Nov 2021 19:40


Originally Posted by Torquetalk (Post 11139219)
No price too high in the name of sovereign independence.

Faith has no need of reason. Blind faith even less so.

Enormous flaw in that argument is that sovereign independence was never lost. Can anyone imagine the French giving up their sovereignty?

Gargleblaster 9th Nov 2021 09:54

Torquetalk has an immense sense of humour.

The UK is a member of the European Court of Human Rights (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...f_Human_Rights), which must involve giving up a certain amount of sovereignty. Clearly, the UK must leave.

What about NATO, the UK is bound to defend other member states if attacked. Clearly, the UK must leave.

LowNSlow 9th Nov 2021 10:03

and yet EU law has primacy over National law.......


PRIMACY OF EU LAW

The principle of the primacy (also referred to as Ďprecedenceí) of EU law is based on the idea that where a conflict arises between an aspect of EU law and an aspect of law in an EU country (national law), EU law will prevail. If this were not to be the case, EU countries could simply allow their national laws to take precedence over primary or secondary EU legislation, and the pursuit of EU policies would become unworkable.

The principle of the primacy of EU law has developed over time by means of the case law (jurisprudence) of the Court of Justice of the European Union. It is not enshrined in the EU treaties, although there is a brief declaration annexed to the Lisbon Treaty in its regard.

In the Van Gend en Loos v Nederlandse Administratie der Belastingen (Case 26/62), the Court declared that the laws adopted by European institutions must be integrated into the legal systems of EU countries, which are obliged to comply with them. EU law therefore has primacy over national laws.

pug 9th Nov 2021 10:32


Originally Posted by LowNSlow (Post 11139509)

Which of those laws are you glad the U.K. no longer has to abide by now that we have left, LowNSlow?

An honest unloaded question.

B Fraser 9th Nov 2021 10:44

EU261 for example, aka "the silent airline killer". If your flight is delayed due to a tyre swap several sectors earlier in the day, then you can claim more in compensation than you paid for your ticket.

An honest unloaded answer.

Curious Pax 9th Nov 2021 10:54


Originally Posted by B Fraser (Post 11139524)
EU261 for example, aka "the silent airline killer". If your flight is delayed due to a tyre swap several sectors earlier in the day, then you can claim more in compensation than you paid for your ticket.

An honest unloaded answer.

EU261 was, as I understand it, one of those regulations that was replicated into UK law as part of the Brexit transition. There doesnít seem to be any move by the government to drop it, so if you think itís gone away it seems youíll be disappointed!

pug 9th Nov 2021 10:57


Originally Posted by B Fraser (Post 11139524)
EU261 for example, aka "the silent airline killer". If your flight is delayed due to a tyre swap several sectors earlier in the day, then you can claim more in compensation than you paid for your ticket.

An honest unloaded answer.

That would be a good point were it not for APR (UK261), which has been cemented into U.K. law post Brexit.

Any more?

B Fraser 9th Nov 2021 11:00

Well that was bloody silly.

ATNotts 9th Nov 2021 11:25


Originally Posted by Gargleblaster (Post 11139506)
Torquetalk has an immense sense of humour.

The UK is a member of the European Court of Human Rights (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe...f_Human_Rights), which must involve giving up a certain amount of sovereignty. Clearly, the UK must leave.

What about NATO, the UK is bound to defend other member states if attacked. Clearly, the UK must leave.

I guess we should add to the list of international bodies the UK should leave to "take back sovereignty" that darling of the Brexiteers, the WTO since that is another rules based organisation where the rules haven't been made by, and for the unique benefit of a small country off the western seaboard of Europe (one that still believes in its own self importance) - struggling to remember what its called though.

LowNSlow 9th Nov 2021 11:59

pug, the Common Agricultural Policy and Common Fisheries Policy for a start. It remains to be seen whether or not the current crop of clowns in Parliarment will be able to come up with a decent set of alternatives though....

Sallyann1234 9th Nov 2021 12:01


Originally Posted by ATNotts (Post 11139540)
I guess we should add to the list of international bodies the UK should leave to "take back sovereignty" that darling of the Brexiteers, the WTO since that is another rules based organisation where the rules haven't been made by, and for the unique benefit of a small country off the western seaboard of Europe (one that still believes in its own self importance) - struggling to remember what its called though.

Disunited Kingdom?

SimonPaddo 9th Nov 2021 12:07


Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 (Post 11139553)
Disunited Kingdom?

Or soon to be Untied Kingdom? Donít need any new letters as a bonus!

ATNotts 9th Nov 2021 12:22


Originally Posted by SimonPaddo (Post 11139554)
Or soon to be Untied Kingdom? Donít need any new letters as a bonus!

Like the sound of that one, it might save me changing the vehicle nationality identifier on the car for a second time!

Effluent Man 9th Nov 2021 15:17

I have never used a country identifier. I don't think French police care. I have got a blue and yellow Ecosse sticker, although I'm not a Scot.

Ninthace 9th Nov 2021 15:27


Originally Posted by Effluent Man (Post 11139640)
I have never used a country identifier. I don't think French police care. I have got a blue and yellow Ecosse sticker, although I'm not a Scot.

They do if they have a mind to. On the other hand, in the good old days, out of date tax discs did not seem to bother them if the car parks at French regional airports were anything to go on.

pug 9th Nov 2021 16:12


Originally Posted by LowNSlow (Post 11139552)
pug, the Common Agricultural Policy and Common Fisheries Policy for a start. It remains to be seen whether or not the current crop of clowns in Parliarment will be able to come up with a decent set of alternatives though....

I donít feel I know enough to make a solid argument for or against;

CAP seems on face value to be quite wasteful so Iíd have to agree with you there. In an ideal world what would you replace it with?

CFP, was under the impression this was mainly positive for EU member states? After all, the U.K. population donít tend to consume much more than cod and haddock, so most of their catch is shipped overseas. Does erecting trade barriers therefore not have a detrimental effect on the U.K. fishing industry which far outweighs not being a part of CFP?


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:48.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.