PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   BREXIT (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/619673-brexit.html)

Fly Aiprt 21st Sep 2019 14:59


Originally Posted by iceman50 (Post 10575367)
Considering Brexit is supposedly not going to affect you Fly Aiprt,

This sir, is where you might be out on a limb.
Where did you get this idea of Brexit not affecting anybody ?


Originally Posted by iceman50 (Post 10575367)
you certainly have lots of opinions and arrogance.

I certainly have, otherwise what would I be on Jet Blast for ?


Avionker 21st Sep 2019 15:01


Originally Posted by iceman50 (Post 10575367)
Considering Brexit is supposedly not going to affect you Fly Aiprt, you certainly have lots of opinions and arrogance.

c
Considering Brexit will affect all E.U. citizens, directly or indirectly, I for one think he is perfectly entitled to express his opinion. As for arrogance, well that’s subjective really isn’t it?

wiggy 21st Sep 2019 15:18

A link to leaver Richard North's Blog for today:

Brexit: a strategy to fail?



it really does begin to look as if the UK government is adopting a strategy which is deliberately intended to fail. Obviously, the very last thing it would do would be to admit it, but having the Brexit secretary being threatening and uncompromising in his recent speech, and then submitting totally unacceptable proposals, with the ludicrous "secrecy" caveat, would seem to fit in with such a strategy.
.....


We will then have the Conservative party conference at the end of this month, whence Johnson can wow the adoring faithful, who will suck up just about any tosh he feeds them, while the media – as always – give him a free pass. By the time the conference is over, there should be no problem lodging the narrative of an obstructive EU blocking the UK's "flexible" approach for no good reason.

Fly Aiprt 21st Sep 2019 16:04

'Brexit is the reason': Less than half of English teens learn a foreign language

https://www.euronews.com/2018/06/27/...reign-language


Less than half of English pupils choose to learn a modern foreign language at school, a new report has found.The proportion of English students sitting foreign language exams at the end of their compulsory education — at age 16 — stood at 47% in 2017, the British Council revealed in its Language Trends surveyIn 2002, that figure stood at 76%.

Brexit impact

The 2016 vote to leave the European Union has also been found to have had an impact on pupil motivation and parental attitudes.

Some 34% of state secondary schools said the result of the referendum is having a negative impact on language learning.

One respondent told the survey that they “regularly have questions from pupils or parents about the value of learning a language, as 'we don’t need it' and 'everyone should speak English.'"

"Brexit is often touted as a reason not to do a language," the respondent added.

Just 10% of respondents reported that senior management in the school they worked in had become more positive towards language study as a result of Brexit.
How come studying at least one foreign language isn't compulsory ?

wiggy 21st Sep 2019 16:15


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10575427)
How come studying at least one foreign language isn't compulsory ?

Because a significant number of people really do believe ... 'we don’t need it and everyone should speak English.'"...:ugh:


Gertrude the Wombat 21st Sep 2019 16:22


Originally Posted by NoelEvans (Post 10574705)
Another question: why do so many till receipts in France still quote a French Franc equivalent? I got a rather embarrassed laugh without an answer the last time I was given one and asked that question. Does that mean, after all this time, that so many French still do not fully trust the Euro? If so, are they that convinced about the EU? How far off is Frexit? Just a question. (Or two or three.)

They're like that. Remember that they spoke in old francs for decades after the new francs had been introduced.

Fly Aiprt 21st Sep 2019 17:01


Originally Posted by wiggy (Post 10575435)
Because a significant number of people really do believe ... 'we don’t need it and everyone should speak English.'"...:ugh:

Pity...
How can anyone hope to understand other people without studying their language ?
Not to mention trying to strike a deal...


Fly Aiprt 21st Sep 2019 17:08


Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat (Post 10575441)
They're like that. Remember that they spoke in old francs for decades after the new francs had been introduced.

Its just that Noel's information is outdated by a decade or two ;-)

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune....8f454212b7.jpg


racedo 21st Sep 2019 17:11

Travelled thursday and needed to get a train to Luton at an ungodly hour.

Ended up meeting with 4 different Hungarians all in one journey.

One on the train when got on and got a Good Morning in an otherwise empty carriage, a colleague of hers got on next station. They work for Puccino's which is an on platform coffee shop / kiosk at many London stations. There view on Brexit is that a year ago they got handed 2-3 CVs a week from people seeking work on avrage, pretty much 100% of people not from UK. It was always busier in summer as foreign students coming to work for summer (1 CV a day in previous yrs), from June to Mid Sept this year they only had 2 CVs and when they called person they had already found something else. One was doing a 5am to 8pm shift as they have no staff. One returning home in Jan as her 4 yrs are up and she getting married, the other person said likely to go to Berlin as her sisters are there.

Just a spotter 21st Sep 2019 17:11

From RTÉ’s Tony Connelly in Europe,

It would seem that HMGov is suggesting one thing (in this case an all island of Ireland approach to agricultural products) then rolling back and cherry picking options from within its own suggested notioal proposal.

Having proposed an all-island agri-food regime as a way to avoid a degree of border checks, the UK was now insisting that such a regime be selective. In other words, there would not even be wholesale alignment of the rules, north and south.
Furthermore, the ‘ideas’ , or “non-papers” coming from the UK aren’t even fleshed out proposals, it would seem they’re more musings on the notions of Britains daydreams on an alternative to the backstop.

The chances of a breakthrough at the EU summit on 17 and 18 October, therefore, remain marginal."We have four weeks before the European Council and we don’t have the slightest concrete element to work on," says a senior EU official."At a European Council things never fall from the sky. They need to be prepared up front. You need texts. You need to go through the motions with the member states beforehand. That means Johnson would need to have had very granular discussions not only with the European Commission but also with the Irish.
https://www.rte.ie/news/brexit/2019/...ogress-perils/

JAS

racedo 21st Sep 2019 17:14

Luton Airport arrivals make no mention of EU coming up to border agency. Its UK plus other countries with flags with EU excluded. The only mention to go into machine lane was the symbol for auto reading passports but all signs were UK and then Other Passports.

racedo 21st Sep 2019 17:21


Originally Posted by CEJM (Post 10574482)
A quote from the article:
‘It says it is determined to stop people who undertake the dangerous journey from Britain to France on small boats ‘from landing on our shores’.’
I guess I have to thank these yobs for preventing the British escaping across the channel to the EU!

Interesting as only needs a rib full of a dozen Brits to land and the get accosted by these nobheads. Put them in the boat, head off to France and drop them on the beach and call the Gendarmarie as to Les Rosbifs causing trouble. They will get 2 good kickings in 1 day plus jail for no ID.


wiggy 21st Sep 2019 22:58


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10575461)
Pity...
How can anyone hope to understand other people without studying their language ?
Not to mention trying to strike a deal...

You need to be aware that "they" (and I must emphasise "they" is not all Brits) are simply not the least bit interested in understanding other people.

Gargleblaster 22nd Sep 2019 01:52


Originally Posted by racedo (Post 10575472)
Travelled thursday and needed to get a train to Luton at an ungodly hour.

Ended up meeting with 4 different Hungarians all in one journey.

One on the train when got on and got a Good Morning in an otherwise empty carriage, a colleague of hers got on next station. They work for Puccino's which is an on platform coffee shop / kiosk at many London stations. There view on Brexit is that a year ago they got handed 2-3 CVs a week from people seeking work on avrage, pretty much 100% of people not from UK. It was always busier in summer as foreign students coming to work for summer (1 CV a day in previous yrs), from June to Mid Sept this year they only had 2 CVs and when they called person they had already found something else. One was doing a 5am to 8pm shift as they have no staff. One returning home in Jan as her 4 yrs are up and she getting married, the other person said likely to go to Berlin as her sisters are there.

Can't help it, but this reminds me so of this fellas stories
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...ier_%C5%A0vejk

racedo 22nd Sep 2019 11:52


Originally Posted by Gargleblaster (Post 10575752)
Can't help it, but this reminds me so of this fellas stories
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_...ier_%C5%A0vejk

Guess you need to get dressed and get out of your mother's basement more and meet real people.

Fly Aiprt 22nd Sep 2019 14:46


Originally Posted by wiggy (Post 10575685)
You need to be aware that "they" (and I must emphasise "they" is not all Brits) are simply not the least bit interested in understanding other people.

Rest assured we can tell educated people from ignorants, and we feel very sorry for the reasonable people in Britain.
Unfortunately you are all in the same boat at the moment, and everybody inside as well outside will incur the consequences of this folly.

Fly Aiprt 22nd Sep 2019 15:46

Readers commentary in the European press : will Brexit happen or not ?
Opinions are roughly 50/50.

And BTW, here is a reader's opinion about the British (sorry, fellows with no language proficiency ;-)


Qu'ils soient pro ou anti Brexit, à aucun moment de leurs débats sans fin les anglais n'ont parlé d'autre chose que de leurs intérêts (commerce, sécurité, etc.). C'est un peuple qui ne parle qu'en termes transactionnels: combien paye-t'on à l'UE et combien reçoit on? Quel gain ou quelle perte de PIB? Jamais ils ne se soucient de la paix, de l'amitié avec les autres peuples, de la culture, de tout ce qui fait notre identité commune.

Sallyann1234 22nd Sep 2019 15:55


Originally Posted by Fly Aiprt (Post 10576176)
Rest assured we can tell educated people from ignorants, and we feel very sorry for the reasonable people in Britain.
Unfortunately you are all in the same boat at the moment, and everybody inside as well outside will incur the consequences of this folly.

Ah yes, the boat. That would be the Titanic under the command of Captain Johnson.

ATSA1 22nd Sep 2019 15:58

Having read the translation of post 2457, all I can say that the Author was trying to make sound like a bad thing!

Fly Aiprt 22nd Sep 2019 16:09


Originally Posted by ATSA1 (Post 10576241)
Having read the translation of post 2457, all I can say that the Author was trying to make sound like a bad thing!

Can't argue with that.
Indeed when observing the British debate, culture or friendship with other people are not the first ideas to emerge...


All times are GMT. The time now is 14:50.


Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.