PPRuNe Forums

PPRuNe Forums (https://www.pprune.org/)
-   Jet Blast (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast-16/)
-   -   Solutions for Drone incursions thread. (https://www.pprune.org/jet-blast/617057-solutions-drone-incursions-thread.html)

Carlos Kaiser 8th Jan 2019 21:18

Solutions for Drone incursions thread.
 
There must be a simple way to rid our airports of the drones.

I propose that we share our ideas.

My solution is this.

A strike force of passive aggressive grannies and concerned citizens freely roaming airfields and harassing the drone fliers with a barrage of inane questions, such as, ‘are you photographing my house’ and ‘do you need a licence for that’ or my personal favourite ‘how does that thing work’.

Cost:

A safer community contribution certificate and a picture in the local paper.

Ideas?

Gertrude the Wombat 8th Jan 2019 21:22

Make people show passports and register their ID when buying mobile phones - that'll reduce the incidence of people phoning in to report drones around airports.

ex82watcher 8th Jan 2019 21:35

As I understand it,most drones don't fly much above 400 feet,so I would propose that a wall say,500 feet high should be built around the airport perimeter.As drones are developed further,and are able to fly higher,it would be easy to add further courses of bricks. So simple,I'm surprised someone hasn't thought of such a thing before.Perhaps Donald could arrange the finance ?

Lantern10 8th Jan 2019 21:51

Simples.

Carlos Kaiser 8th Jan 2019 22:01


Originally Posted by ex82watcher (Post 10355530)
As I understand it,most drones don't fly much above 400 feet,so I would propose that a wall say,500 feet high should be built around the airport perimeter.As drones are developed further,and are able to fly higher,it would be easy to add further courses of bricks. So simple,I'm surprised someone hasn't thought of such a thing before.Perhaps Donald could arrange the finance ?

Good thinking, but what about the aeroplanes wanting to land?

Out Of Trim 8th Jan 2019 22:02

The problem is,that there are no simple solutions to the drone threat. The technology and equipment required is expensive and really only a military capability if you are thinking of shooting them down with lasers etc.

Are the incursions just by local idiots or protest groups or potentially could be a threat by terrorists or even state sponsored. I wouldn’t put it past the Russians to try and disrupt flights in this way.

Carlos Kaiser 8th Jan 2019 22:07


Originally Posted by Out Of Trim (Post 10355557)
The problem is,that there are no simple solutions to the drone threat. The technology and equipment required is expensive and really only a military capability if you are thinking of shooting them down with lasers etc.

Are the incursions just by local idiots or protest groups or potentially could be a threat by terrorists or even state sponsored. I wouldn’t put it past the Russians to try and disrupt flights in this way.

You obviously didn’t bother reading the post about building a wall around airfields then...

chri5 8th Jan 2019 22:11

CVR(T) Scimitar - 2003
 
A pair of CVR(T) Scimitar tanks reduced the threat levels at LHR to acceptable levels in 2003 - bring them back

Out Of Trim 8th Jan 2019 22:39


Originally Posted by Carlos Kaiser (Post 10355560)


You obviously didn’t bother reading the post about building a wall around airfields then...

That’s because I didn’t think they or you were serious! :rolleyes:

Really.. A solid construction 500 ft high all around every airfield. How far out were you planning to build this eyesore and how were the aircraft supposed to land or take off over it??? :ugh:

Carlos Kaiser 8th Jan 2019 22:46


Originally Posted by Out Of Trim (Post 10355581)
That’s because I didn’t think they or you were serious! :rolleyes:

Really.. A solid construction 500 ft high all around every airfield. How far out were you planning to build this eyesore and how were the aircraft supposed to land or take off over it??? :ugh:

You could ask the local artists to paint appropriate murals on it. Then charge people to view their work. A cheeky cost recovery too.

Out Of Trim 9th Jan 2019 00:19

Perhaps you could trial it in Sydney then.. Strewth,can’t wait to see your method of construction. Maybe you could use bamboo like the Chinese scaffolding. Maybe paint a kangaroo on it sponsored by Qantas !

flash8 9th Jan 2019 00:21

Simple... ban private drones.

Might well have been the ultimate aim of this whole stinks to high heaven episode anyhow.

Mostly Harmless 9th Jan 2019 00:45

Blame drones for global warming and let the pamphlet warrior division of the environmental movement ban them and tie the drone manufacturing companies up in court for years.

meadowrun 9th Jan 2019 02:11

"Departures at Heathrow were temporarily stopped after a drone was reported to have been sighted.
Flights from the west London airport resumed about an hour after police said a drone had been seen
Gatwick said last week that it had spent £5m to prevent future attacks. Heathrow also confirmed it would be buying systems to guard against drones.
And it was announced this week that police would be given new powers to tackle the illegal use of drones." bbc 8Jan

Lots of money spent then. I wonder on what exactly?

rjtjrt 9th Jan 2019 04:09

Finding a solution probably not going to be a problem in a country such as Singapore or North Korea, for some unknown reason.

Hydromet 9th Jan 2019 05:41

You need to find the people who are operating these drones. I propose a squad of volunteer drone pilots, on call to fly their drones looking for the operators whenever illegal drones are reported. Simples.

Flypro 9th Jan 2019 07:25

When it comes to building walls, perhaps we should consult the expert, President Trump ??!!

ShotOne 9th Jan 2019 07:36

Unfortunately it’s not as easy as that. Which is why we’re seeing the futile but inevitable piling of more rules on top of the already-compliant in order to be seen to be doing something.

VP959 9th Jan 2019 09:46

As I understand it, pretty much anyone can just buy kits of parts and build one of these things without having to comply with any regulations. Tracing who has built these things seems nigh on impossible, so even though the regulations may be enforceable for those who buy a ready-made drone, there isn't a hope in hell of being able to enforce regulations on all the thousands of home built ones. Go to a website like Hobbyking and you'll see loads of kits and parts to build a wide range of these things, without any sort of controls on who buys them.

Detecting them and tracking seems to be just as difficult, given their ability to be launched and recovered from small, secluded, areas. Add in that some idiots will think it's "fun" to phone in reports of drone sightings near airports, even when none have really been flown in the area, and it seems we have a problem that looks to be really challenging to tackle.

There's been a pretty big online open source community developing drones and autopilot systems for years now, so it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the amateur drone community are a fair way ahead of any commercial anti-drone technology, especially kit that could be safely deployed in the context of protecting airspace around a civil airport.

TWT 9th Jan 2019 09:59

The chances of successfully eliminating troublesome drones are the same as North Korea giving up their nukes.

Zero.


All times are GMT. The time now is 18:28.


Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.