Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

HMS Vigil

Old 30th Aug 2021, 19:33
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: london
Posts: 737
As for the SeaKing and its RAF Scheme with RN titles, at least they sourced a period helicopter, it could have been a Robinson R44.
No robbie, just a jetbox with a civilian cover behind the SeaKing. Probably just popped in for a cup of tea.
homonculus is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2021, 20:45
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 3,206
Originally Posted by Toadstool View Post
I hope they don’t watch Line Of Duty if they’re that daft.
Apparently it's written by the same team.
TURIN is offline  
Old 30th Aug 2021, 21:51
  #23 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 7,995
Will the Captain open the Letter of Last Resort?
Will the XO Fall in love with the Heroine?
Will the Chef perfect Jam Roy Poly?
Will this and other pointless scenario be written into the script?
Kiltrash is online now  
Old 30th Aug 2021, 21:57
  #24 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Mostly South of England
Posts: 890
Originally Posted by Kiltrash View Post
Will the Captain open the Letter of Last Resort?
Will the XO Fall in love with the Heroine?
Will the Chef perfect Jam Roy Poly?
Will this and other pointless scenario be written into the script?

All of the above - or I'm a Dutchman.
Auxtank is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 09:46
  #25 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: LGW Overhead
Posts: 33
My pedant's eye is twitching like mad at all the glaring aviation and military errors: Aircraft colours, roles, rank slides, terminology, atmosphere, chain of command, SOPs, etc...not to mention the cringing level of fake diversity squeezed into this imaginary world.

I did go onboard Vengeance once when at Faslane and I remember the layout of the missile deck to be a bit different from what is shown here.

Did anyone clock the massive 22 Sqn badge on the 'Navy' Sea King?!!
Vortex Hoop is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 09:50
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: glasgow
Posts: 226
Watched the first two episodes last night. Pass the sick bucket! I am not referring to the nail biting "dieseling" incident, but the overlaying of woke on woke on political correctness on gross stereotyping.
For those who have missed the action so far, plucky lassies from fearless Police Scotland ( no malicious prosecutions this time?) who seem to be in a relationship Vs corrupt but racially astonishingly diverse Royal Navy.
Leaving the comical plot line ( eg a bank of sonar operators fail to detect an oil tanker on a collision course, Captain tells them to pay more attention!) aside, this it is just yet another BBC W***fest reinforcing their political correctness agenda. As a storyline, I wouldnt be too confident about passing my GCSE in drama.......
falcon900 is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 10:22
  #27 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 57
Posts: 9,086
Perhaps the series should be renamed "HMS Vapid"...
treadigraph is online now  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 10:36
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Cardiff, UK
Age: 60
Posts: 1,198
It seems many people believe covid is a global hoax and the vaccine rollout is a mass culling. HMS Vigil must seem like a documentary to them.
Mariner9 is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 10:57
  #29 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 2,088
Jeez, there are way more grumpy old farts on here than I thought existed. IT'S A TV SHOW!

As an aside, I was in 'Squadron' in the 80s, a documentary-quality look at life in the RAF. Everyone said so!

CG
charliegolf is online now  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 11:04
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 132
Just look at movies with astronomers in them. Lights on in the dome, figuring out with one observation a comet was going to hit the earth etc. We never complained as much as this!
Hokulea is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 11:10
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: No longer in Jurassic Park eating Toblerone....
Posts: 2,678
It sounds as realistic as the
ad!
LowNSlow is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 11:16
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: Scotland
Age: 41
Posts: 23
Originally Posted by falcon900 View Post
Leaving the comical plot line ( eg a bank of sonar operators fail to detect an oil tanker on a collision course, Captain tells them to pay more attention!) aside....
Would that be the same arm of the RN that failed to detect the isle of Skye on a collision course?
Recc is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 11:26
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 2,088
The writers were planning to have a 'plummet to the bottom of the sea' moment, but a technical advisor told them that a) a camera would never be in the control room; and b) it would be laughable to suggest it 'jammed' the up and down wheel.

CG
charliegolf is online now  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 12:21
  #34 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 57
Posts: 9,086
CG, that idea sank like turtle sh!t then...

RN and the Isle of Skye? Thought it was the US Navy and a lighthouse...
treadigraph is online now  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 12:24
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 3,206
Originally Posted by falcon900 View Post
Watched the first two episodes last night. Pass the sick bucket! I am not referring to the nail biting "dieseling" incident, but the overlaying of woke on woke on political correctness on gross stereotyping.
For those who have missed the action so far, plucky lassies from fearless Police Scotland ( no malicious prosecutions this time?) who seem to be in a relationship Vs corrupt but racially astonishingly diverse Royal Navy.
Leaving the comical plot line ( eg a bank of sonar operators fail to detect an oil tanker on a collision course, Captain tells them to pay more attention!) aside, this it is just yet another BBC W***fest reinforcing their political correctness agenda. As a storyline, I wouldnt be too confident about passing my GCSE in drama.......
I wonder why? 🙄
TURIN is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 13:32
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: 5Y
Posts: 556
Originally Posted by Vortex Hoop View Post
My pedant's eye is twitching like mad at all the glaring aviation and military errors: Aircraft colours, roles, rank slides, terminology, atmosphere, chain of command, SOPs, etc...
Did you like the Coxswain casually chatting to the Captain while leaning on a bookcase?
double_barrel is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 13:47
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2020
Location: LGW Overhead
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by double_barrel View Post
Did you like the Coxswain casually chatting to the Captain while leaning on a bookcase?
Yes indeed! Plus the 'take off' checks uttered by the Sea King pilot in the first episode: "...Fuel x-feed etc...We're cleared on final..."
Vortex Hoop is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 13:55
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: MARS
Posts: 1,068
Will the Captain open the Letter of Last Resort?
Will the XO Fall in love with the Heroine?
Will the Chef perfect Jam Roy Poly?
Will this and other pointless scenario be written into the script?
Will Navy/RAF/Army chefs ever make a decent roast potato?
Widger is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 13:58
  #39 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Just over the road from Bicester airfield
Age: 78
Posts: 436
What is Endeavour Morse doing in there, seconded from Thames Valley Police ?.
zetec2 is offline  
Old 31st Aug 2021, 14:00
  #40 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 186
It took till the second episode for my wife to realise the CPO was Morse - in disguise.

ze beat me to it!

Last edited by Mike6567; 31st Aug 2021 at 14:01. Reason: extra
Mike6567 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.