Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Non-Safe MagSafe Devices

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Non-Safe MagSafe Devices

Old 9th Jan 2021, 12:08
  #1 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 11,517
Non-Safe MagSafe Devices

MagSafe devices, including the new iPhone 12, will stop an implanted defibrillator if brought close to the chest....

Which is just a bit of a problem - and one which I would have e thought would cause the products to be withdrawn from sale?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...brillator.html

IPhone12 will stop your implantable defibrillator
ORAC is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 13:12
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
MagSafe devices, including the new iPhone 12, will stop an implanted defibrillator if brought close to the chest....

Which is just a bit of a problem - and one which I would have e thought would cause the products to be withdrawn from sale?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...brillator.html

IPhone12 will stop your implantable defibrillator
Do you mean withdraw the in-plant from sale? because that's all you have control over.

I recently bought some of those extra strong household magnets 45-90lb pull to use for drawer pulls and small tool holders

First of all I broke every fingernail on my hands trying to separate the individual magnets from their stack. Then after achieving success with the first one I separated I reached to put it down an a table near my tools only to be met with a loud crash as it sucked anything nearby to it's jaws

So I tried again by holding the magnet stack in my left hand tight against my body as I pried loose yet another slab. I then realized I had supported my hand against my chest where my multimillion $$ ICD resided below the skin. Too-late, I'll never know the answer until it's too late.

Should the magnets be banned or just get rid of me?
lomapaseo is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 13:17
  #3 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 11,517
Perhaps a large sticker warning not put them in their breast packet.......
ORAC is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 13:46
  #4 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 24
loma

That seems a ridiculous strength for the intended purpose. I say "seem" because -professionally - magnets are not specified by pull, however looking at something that is 6 kg on Amazon ( 25 mm x 3 mm disc ) they must be pretty big . What size exactly and what type ( will be N ?? )?

You need to be careful with them as they can be moderately dangerous. I used to work for a magnet company , and one day a colleague was playing with a couple of large neo's ( like you have ) and put one on either side of his bare bicep to see if they would " hold ". They did, but unfortunately as he turned to say " Look at this " ( that immortal male phrase that precedes disaster !! ) the magnets moved , slammed together and caught a fold of skin between them. Oh.......did he scream !! It was very difficult to get hold of the magnets and pull them off because he was writhing ( and swearing ) so much. I always wore work-gloves when handling the big ones as it's so easy - when just talking and handling them - to bring them too close together, and then it's like you've brought a hammer down on your finger.

The magnetic-field diminishes dramatically with distance, however I would certainly have expected interference with your ICD at contact distance , if there were going to be any.
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 14:16
  #5 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 414
A redundant computer hard disk is an excellent source of small but very powerful magnets.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 15:10
  #6 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 13,234
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
A redundant computer hard disk is an excellent source of small but very powerful magnets.
Indeed, I have some as fridge magnets and they are a devil to remove from the door!
ShyTorque is online now  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 15:36
  #7 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gatwick
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
MagSafe devices, including the new iPhone 12, will stop an implanted defibrillator if brought close to the chest....

Which is just a bit of a problem - and one which I would have e thought would cause the products to be withdrawn from sale?

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2021-...brillator.html

IPhone12 will stop your implantable defibrillator
My wife had an ICD fitted about 8 years ago. Even then they said keep your mobile phone away from it. They use a magnet to disable the ICD when required(surgery etc). Being an ICD it sits in monitoring mode 99.999999% of the time and only "fires" when needed so the risk of putting a magnet or phone close to the ICD is relatively low..
bbrown1664 is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 17:16
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by bbrown1664 View Post
My wife had an ICD fitted about 8 years ago. Even then they said keep your mobile phone away from it. They use a magnet to disable the ICD when required(surgery etc). Being an ICD it sits in monitoring mode 99.999999% of the time and only "fires" when needed so the risk of putting a magnet or phone close to the ICD is relatively low..
Are you then concluding that it does not have a on-off toggle switch but is just momentary?

lomapaseo is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 17:20
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan View Post
loma

That seems a ridiculous strength for the intended purpose. I say "seem" because -professionally - magnets are not specified by pull, however looking at something that is 6 kg on Amazon ( 25 mm x 3 mm disc ) they must be pretty big . What size exactly and what type ( will be N ?? )?

You need to be careful with them as they can be moderately dangerous. I used to work for a magnet company , and one day a colleague was playing with a couple of large neo's ( like you have ) and put one on either side of his bare bicep to see if they would " hold ". They did, but unfortunately as he turned to say " Look at this " ( that immortal male phrase that precedes disaster !! ) the magnets moved , slammed together and caught a fold of skin between them. Oh.......did he scream !! It was very difficult to get hold of the magnets and pull them off because he was writhing ( and swearing ) so much. I always wore work-gloves when handling the big ones as it's so easy - when just talking and handling them - to bring them too close together, and then it's like you've brought a hammer down on your finger.

The magnetic-field diminishes dramatically with distance, however I would certainly have expected interference with your ICD at contact distance , if there were going to be any.
Here's the specs

Neodymium Disc Countersunk Hole Magnets with 10 Screws, 1.26 inch D x 0.2 inch H Strong Rare Earth Magnets - Pack of 10


Visit the MIKEDE Store
4.6 out of 5 stars 435 ratings

| 8 answered questions List Price: $17.99 Price: $15.49 ($1.55 / Item) & FREE Returns You Save: $2.50 (14%)
  • VERY DURABLE - Coated with three layers of nickel, copper and nickel to reduce corrosion and provide a smooth finish which greatly increase the longevity of the Magnets.
  • POWERFUL MAGNETS - Each magnet can support 12kg pull vertically from the magnetic face when in flush contact with a mild steel surface.
  • MAGNETS DIMENSIONS -32mm diameter x 5mm thick with a 5mm diameter countersunk hole for fixing.
  • DIY PROJECTS & SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS - Refrigerator Magnets, Shower Door, Work or Office, Scientific Purposes, Arts and Crafts or School Classroom.
lomapaseo is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 17:36
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 24
It's good they are plated as neo is fairly reactive and they turn into black dust quite quickly. Instead of trying to pull them apart, slide them. Ones this size can't hurt you. Since they have a central hole, divide them up into units of two or three and drop them down a string/rod with like poles facing. Observe the magic of levitation: hours of free and harmless fun !
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 9th Jan 2021, 19:57
  #11 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Gatwick
Posts: 114
Originally Posted by lomapaseo View Post
Are you then concluding that it does not have a on-off toggle switch but is just momentary?
That is my understanding.
bbrown1664 is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 20:18
  #12 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 11,517
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1792708.html

Apple Warns iPhone 12 Owners to Keep Them Away from Medical Devices


https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-b1792708.html
ORAC is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 21:29
  #13 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 0
Sure sounds like a regulator is involved and attempted to force the manufacturer either to prove nothing could go wrong or to inhibit some of the device's functions, or to issue a strong warning (just like aviation and passengers hacking the plane's controls with their phones).

I would guess that in this case it aint the magnets, it's the ability for hacked phones to download or send messages to your medical devices normal functions. Heck I have a device in the room behind me that will download my implants and send them along the ether to somebody on the other end. miles away..

be afraid, you're living on borrowed time when somebody knows more than you, Trust but verify, just like you do with your wife
lomapaseo is offline  
Old 26th Jan 2021, 23:19
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Kiwiland
Posts: 670
Pacemakers and defibrillators have a magnet controlled switch deliberately. Putting a magnet over the box of a pacemaker switches it from demand to continuous pacing. Putting it over a pacemaker defibrillator disables the defib but doesnt effect the pacemaker

These are deliberate designs and the suppression stops as soon as the magnet is removed. As mentioned we use them during surgery when there is a risk from diathermy currents

In practice it doesnt really matter if accidentally activated by a stray magnet. I suppose there is a risk if the defibrillator was needed and the patient was unconscious and the phone stuck against the device but the magnet needs to be exactly above and adjacent to the switch. Another non story we have been aware of for years. Nobody is going to redesign the iphone
Radgirl is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2021, 06:53
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: UK Scotland
Age: 59
Posts: 181
I bought a couple of powerful magnets about 15mm x 3mm square.
was playing with them on table seeing how far they could attract each other and slide
together across the table. Great fun until I moved them a greater distance and they
slid together fast and hit shattering into tiny super sharp fragments 😳
R
RINKER is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2021, 14:58
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by RINKER View Post
I bought a couple of powerful magnets about 15mm x 3mm square.
was playing with them on table seeing how far they could attract each other and slide
together across the table. Great fun until I moved them a greater distance and they
slid together fast and hit shattering into tiny super sharp fragments 😳
R

But at least the fragments stick together like old friends

There's much creative fun you can have with strong magnets. For instance you can get them very near a window fan that is spinning and generate heat as the blades spin by. If you adjust the magnets equally spaced around the fan you can find the speed setting on the fan where the blades will fail and fly off.
lomapaseo is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2021, 17:10
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Hoofddorp The Netherlands
Age: 67
Posts: 135
Smile

Originally Posted by lomapaseo View Post
But at least the fragments stick together like old friends

There's much creative fun you can have with strong magnets. For instance you can get them very near a window fan that is spinning and generate heat as the blades spin by. If you adjust the magnets equally spaced around the fan you can find the speed setting on the fan where the blades will fail and fly off.
How do you know that?
spitfirek5054 is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2021, 17:39
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 494
I like your style, lomapaseo! I'll bet you have some excellent stories about fun uses for gunpowder as well. If so, you are not alone - how I survived childhood and adolescence with fingers, toes, eyesight, and my life intact is a function of sheer luck. Some close calls involved model rocketry, including the destruction of $3,000-worth of plate glass windows on the sun room at my family's farm. My grandfather was, shall we say, less than pleased.

My son, a practicing physician and skydiver, was loading a smoke flare which exploded and removed the thumb and forefinger from his dominant left hand. He had the little finger from that hand transplanted to the former position of the thumb (pollicization) and has regained surprising dexterity. He has not taught his son the recipe for black powder, nor how to load spent CO2 cartridges with it, nor how to launch the latter on high-powered model rockets. This tips the scales in my favor - I may be a great-grandfather one day, after all!

I look forward to hearing other's tales of explosive legerdemain; magnetism and "electrickery" could easily be included. Perhaps I should start a separate thread.

- Ed
cavuman1 is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2021, 21:28
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Florida
Posts: 0
It wasn't in childhood and I can tell you all about the difference in effect between Smokeless Bullseye pistol powder and RDX/PETN and of course the fan idea actually works. Over a beer or two I can tell what happens to a slinky toy spring when shot out of a gun at 250 miles per hr.
lomapaseo is offline  
Old 27th Jan 2021, 21:43
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Itinerant
Posts: 749
Originally Posted by lomapaseo View Post
Over a beer or two I can tell what happens to a slinky toy spring when shot out of a gun at 250 miles per hr.
That certainly sounds like a candidate for "best reason to go to Florida" -- as soon as Covid is far enough in the rearview mirror.

grizzled is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.