Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Germany's top TV news-reader retires - salary € 300/day

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Germany's top TV news-reader retires - salary € 300/day

Old 14th Dec 2020, 16:11
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 289
Germany's top TV news-reader retires - salary € 300/day

Jan Hofer retires from the ARD (very similar to the BBC) today after 35 years service. In a recent interview he said that presenting the main 20 00 news bulletin earned him € 300/day. "A reasonable salary for six hours work" he said " but you obviously don't get rich ".

A good example in a similar licence-supported system, where news-readers aren't paid stupid money. I have never believed that you needed people earning very high salaries to read the news, or that they bring in more viewers because of their presence. I feel that the BBC is run to a significant extent for the benefit of its employees ( particularly as regards salaries ) and the entertainment industry instead of the population.

It should be noted though that Mr Hofer just reads the news and doesn't get into interviews like Maitlis, Wark etc.
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 16:26
  #2 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan View Post
Jan Hofer retires from the ARD (very similar to the BBC) today after 35 years service. In a recent interview he said that presenting the main 20 00 news bulletin earned him € 300/day. "A reasonable salary for six hours work" he said " but you obviously don't get rich ".

A good example in a similar licence-supported system, where news-readers aren't paid stupid money. I have never believed that you needed people earning very high salaries to read the news, or that they bring in more viewers because of their presence. I feel that the BBC is run to a significant extent for the benefit of its employees ( particularly as regards salaries ) and the entertainment industry instead of the population.

It should be noted though that Mr Hofer just reads the news and doesn't get into interviews like Maitlis, Wark etc.
Well, the german 'Öffentlich-Rechtlichen' ARD and ZDF, so the organisations similar to the BBC, receive about €38.000.000.000,- per annum and they say that it is not enough. Not all commentators are paid peanuts, try and find out what people like Thomas Gottschalk 'earn'...
ThorMos is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 16:40
  #3 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Lemonia. Best Greek in the world
Posts: 1,731
The Beeb pays just about all of its staff far too much.
Ancient Observer is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 16:48
  #4 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 289
[QUOTE= try and find out what people like Thomas Gottschalk 'earn'...[/QUOTE]

Well Tommy is an out-and-out entertainer - so not comparable. My comment is mainly directed at the BBC where news-readers were paid astronomic amounts. I believe the biggest salary was £ 650 000 but that was for a two-hour (?) morning programme which also included lots of interviews with high-level politicians, industrialists etc. This salary was recently cut, but that was as a result of complaints that women earned much less and their pay has now increased, so the wage-bill is still the same - very high.
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 16:49
  #5 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 1,165
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan View Post
Jan Hofer retires from the ARD (very similar to the BBC) today after 35 years service. In a recent interview he said that presenting the main 20 00 news bulletin earned him € 300/day. "A reasonable salary for six hours work" he said " but you obviously don't get rich ".

A good example in a similar licence-supported system, where news-readers aren't paid stupid money. I have never believed that you needed people earning very high salaries to read the news, or that they bring in more viewers because of their presence. I feel that the BBC is run to a significant extent for the benefit of its employees ( particularly as regards salaries ) and the entertainment industry instead of the population.

It should be noted though that Mr Hofer just reads the news and doesn't get into interviews like Maitlis, Wark etc.
As an intro, ok, but then, alas, the "less than subliminal " core being a standard JB offering re the BBC.

How much do you reckon Ri Chun - hee gets then ?......
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 16:55
  #6 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 289
Who he ?

I wasn't aiming for anything subliminal: why would you imagine that ? It's just my view that they pay themselves far too much and regard it as their right to do so and it's down to the licence-payers to keep forking it over.

Germany introduced a system about three years ago where every household pays the licence-fee, even if they have no TV or radio. To my great surprise the Constitutional Court didn't knock that down.
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 17:48
  #7 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 289
Der Rund*funk*beitrag (im Volks*munds oft immer noch GEZ-Gebühr genannt) von monatlich 17,50 Euro ist für jede Wohnung fällig, auch wenn die Bewohner weder Fernseher, Radio noch Internet*zugang haben. Seit November 2019 können Ehepaare und einge*tragene Lebens*part*nerschaften vereinfacht eine Beitrags*befreiung für eine Zweit*wohnung beantragen. Hier beant*worten wir alle wichtigen Fragen rund um den Rund*funk*beitrag.

This is from Stiftung Warentest ( I can't post links ) who obviously state " every abode .....even without TV, radio and Internet."
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 17:59
  #8 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,410
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan View Post
Jan Hofer retires from the ARD (very similar to the BBC) today after 35 years service. In a recent interview he said that presenting the main 20 00 news bulletin earned him € 300/day. "A reasonable salary for six hours work" he said " but you obviously don't get rich ".

A good example in a similar licence-supported system, where news-readers aren't paid stupid money. I have never believed that you needed people earning very high salaries to read the news, or that they bring in more viewers because of their presence. I feel that the BBC is run to a significant extent for the benefit of its employees ( particularly as regards salaries ) and the entertainment industry instead of the population.

It should be noted though that Mr Hofer just reads the news and doesn't get into interviews like Maitlis, Wark etc.
Bloody good newsreader, from the old school. Clear diction (great for those who speak German as a 2nd language) and reads the news with an absolutely straight bat (bit of mixed metaphors there!!). Being replaced by Jens Riewa I believe, another time served ARD news reader.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 18:14
  #9 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by Tartiflette Fan View Post
Der Rund*funk*beitrag (im Volks*munds oft immer noch GEZ-Gebühr genannt) von monatlich 17,50 Euro ist für jede Wohnung fällig, auch wenn die Bewohner weder Fernseher, Radio noch Internet*zugang haben. Seit November 2019 können Ehepaare und einge*tragene Lebens*part*nerschaften vereinfacht eine Beitrags*befreiung für eine Zweit*wohnung beantragen. Hier beant*worten wir alle wichtigen Fragen rund um den Rund*funk*beitrag.

This is from Stiftung Warentest ( I can't post links ) who obviously state " every abode .....even without TV, radio and Internet."
TF, you were right; I was wrong. Have deleted my post. TT
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 18:29
  #10 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 377
I think this is just the pay on top of a solid basic salary he is likely to have received being permanent staff? No?
Less Hair is online now  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 18:49
  #11 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by Less Hair View Post
I think this is just the pay on top of a solid basic salary he is likely to have received being permanent staff? No?
His comments seem to make it very clear that that is the total. No mention of any other emoluments.He said it was about what a well- paid salaried employee ( Angestellte ) would receive.

""Es liegt bei etwa 260 Euro". Die übrigen Sendungen würden aber durchaus geringer bezahlt. Deshalb könne es sein, dass man für sechs Stunden Aufwand auch mal nur 300 Euro"
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 19:31
  #12 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 377
260 Euro is for one single issue of evening news. Not for a day of work. Duration: 15 Minutes max. Doesn't he just read texts that are written by other people? Different from Tagesthemen late news where the editors present what they wrote before themselves.
So Tagesschau should be mainly about preparing some pronunciations but not more. I still think there must be some basic salary for administrative duty like being chief presenter?
Less Hair is online now  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 19:49
  #13 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Rhones-Alpes
Posts: 289
Originally Posted by Less Hair View Post
260 Euro is for one single issue of evening news. Not for a day of work. Duration: 15 Minutes max. Doesn't he just read texts that are written by other people? Different from Tagesthemen late news where the editors present what they wrote before themselves.
So Tagesschau should be mainly about preparing some pronunciations but not more. I still think there must be some basic salary for administrative duty like being chief presenter?
He says six hours work, so that seems clear that he is involved in the production of his bulletin. If you are convinced there must be more - which his comments clearly negate - then you need to find it.
Tartiflette Fan is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2020, 21:20
  #14 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 43
Posts: 612
Years ago I was puzzled when I noticed the BBC doing short self-promo bits, with some news reader stating something along the lines of "join me, Holly Cumpuddle, at 9 o'clock for the news", and I always wondered why the comely young Ms. Cumpuddle would need to promote herself. After all, it's the news that's important not whichever person is reading from the tele-prompter. But I suppose that's one way to claim fame and, thus, demand a higher salary.

Having said that, I've always subscribed to the notion that anybody living in a country where the labour market is fairly well regulated, they're worth whatever they or their union is able to negotiate. So if the Beeb wishes to pay someone with a fortunate bone structure, and the ability to read whilst looking earnest, several hundred thousand pounds a year, that's their problem.
SMT Member is online now  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 08:51
  #15 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by SMT Member View Post
Years ago I was puzzled when I noticed the BBC doing short self-promo bits, with some news reader stating something along the lines of "join me, Holly Cumpuddle, at 9 o'clock for the news", and I always wondered why the comely young Ms. Cumpuddle would need to promote herself. After all, it's the news that's important not whichever person is reading from the tele-prompter. But I suppose that's one way to claim fame and, thus, demand a higher salary.
If the channel has decided that the 9 o'clock news must be promoted earlier in the day, it seems entirely reasonable that the announcement should be made by the journalist who is preparing the script and will be reading it later.
Is your objection to having promos for the news, or to allowing women to read it?
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 09:53
  #16 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 377
He said they do three to four news shows per shift and get paid per show, however not full 300 euros for every show. 300 euros per day was mentioned as the lowest (extreme) example for one work day not as typical pay. He also admitted perceiving pay as compensation for being watched whenever in the public day in day out.
I think this is intentionally left blurred and doesn't necessarily reflect his entire income.
They can earn what they want but public tv in Germany is known for high wages not for low ones. This is why I refuse to believe that their national flagship faces earn only 300 Euro per typical day.
Less Hair is online now  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 11:44
  #17 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,514
Whether German or British or any other nationality, it would make a refreshing change ( and a more intelligent use of language) to stop using 'earn' as the descriptive verb in these discussions.
Nobody, whatever their job or position, 'earns' the silly amounts quoted. They may be paid those amounts but 'earn' is an indication of relative equivalent effort and that is an impossibility for many of the sums mentioned.
Cornish Jack is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 12:59
  #18 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,410
Originally Posted by Cornish Jack View Post
Whether German or British or any other nationality, it would make a refreshing change ( and a more intelligent use of language) to stop using 'earn' as the descriptive verb in these discussions.
Nobody, whatever their job or position, 'earns' the silly amounts quoted. They may be paid those amounts but 'earn' is an indication of relative equivalent effort and that is an impossibility for many of the sums mentioned.
If you're a really high earner, in UK at any rate, you don't earn a salary, you get paid a "compensation package". Compensation for what I wonder? Being forced to drive a Roller and live in an expensive house with electric gates and an intercom!!?
ATNotts is online now  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 14:00
  #19 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,453
There has never been equity in modern times when it comes to remuneration. The example of a nurse working for hours on end in difficult conditions for pitiful pay (UK) whilst an agent can make a few calls and then take 20% of their clients fee (if successful). The latter might 'earn' multiples of the former's wages over a year for a fraction of the effort and probably bring little towards making thw world a better place. However, both have skills that are remunerated by society/govt/market in accordance with their perceived value. I don't think we can disparage anyone's efforts as good enough to attain the moniker 'earn' or not. A coal-miner at the coal face all day uses more effort than say a trader sitting in front of their screens and pushing buttons at the right time, but the latter brings more value to the employers than the former as unfair as that might seem....

Regarding the News presenter in Germany, these people are often self-employed, but even if not must pay various tax, social and medical costs (mandatory health insurance based on wages), so if 'he' was on 300euro a day, he wouldn't have had much left over for his life, especially as presenters of all kinds need to have various wardrobe options which cost a pretty penny (females more-so), need to pay for various extras that might include grooming, fitness, voice coaching and so on. We think that sitting there reading an autocue is easy and "I could do that etc", but as in many things in life it is far from easy and it is a skill and those that are good at it make it look easy. News readers are important and a vital tool of the government to inform/guide/manipulate the populace each day. I do think that the BBC pays outrageous salaries to most of their presenters, but those are the market rates.

Btw, I found it both crazy and illogical that the German govt is demanding that even people without either tv or radio must pay 17.50euro a month towards national broadcasters. So many people, especially younger Germans are leaving old-media behind and seem to live on the internet and stream content that they want, rather than what is offered by the TV stations.
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 14:03
  #20 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 1,932
Is this thread saying that €300 a day is a lot or not much? Probably about right for a freelance presenter. It's on the low side for a journalist or TV technical crew. And freelancers of course are paid gross and have to pay their own tax, insurance, training, tools, safety gear, holidays, transport, pension etc. and have no guarantee of future work or sick pay.

Does 'earn' only apply to manual labour, Cornish Jack, e.g. the number of shovels of coal you have moved? Or does it include mental labour, e.g. preparing and reading the news? What about someone's experience, their journalistic contacts and proven ability to research stories, work to deadlines and write concise, informative news reports - and look presentable while delivering them coherently?

(anybody who has listened to what Des Lynam hears in his earpiece while he is simultaneously talking coherently and anchoring Grandstand, will be left in no doubt that he earns his money. Not all of them do though......)

EDIT, my post crossed with SpringHeeledJack's, and we have coincidentally highlighted similar things.
I think that today, most "news readers" write their own bulletins during their preparation, so their job is much more than sitting down and reading an autocue.

Last edited by Uplinker; 15th Dec 2020 at 14:17.
Uplinker is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.