Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Black lives donít really matter London March.

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Black lives donít really matter London March.

Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:27
  #581 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Looking for the signals square at LHR
Posts: 220


This seems an extraordinarily simple solution to what is being made an intractable problem.
Gipsy Queen is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:30
  #582 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 437
Originally Posted by Gipsy Queen View Post


This seems an extraordinarily simple solution to what is being made an intractable problem.

Ah yes. One party, one opinion, one agreed version of history. No dissent. Sounds familiar.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:41
  #583 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,978
I have a black and white dog so I am nor racist. But if my dog was only one colour I am....

Kiltrash is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:52
  #584 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 437
Originally Posted by Kiltrash View Post
I have a black and white dog so I am nor racist. But if my dog was only one colour I am....
Your dog looks intelligent. And sad.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:58
  #585 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 12,317
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
I suspect plenty of people have identified it from FR24, probably even found out who the owner and / or pilot was. Fully expect it to be vandalised before too long unless it's locked away in a secure hangar, and probably the pilot's / owner's daubed with slogans. I really do hope I'm wrong because two wrongs don't make a right.
It's owned by a business, one of whose activities is banner-towing. I don't think they have anything to worry about, though I suppose there are always some idiots about.
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 12:58
  #586 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Planet no. 3
Posts: 101
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
Some questions, in the context of the situation regarding racism within the UK:

If I choose to wear a "black lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If I choose to wear a "brown lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If I choose to wear a "yellow lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If I choose to wear a "white lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If I choose to wear a "all lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", then what is the precise logic that makes one of these slogans any more, or less, acceptable than any other?
See the cartoon above. You probably think you are being clever, but you are displaying ignorance about what is actually happening in society.
vlieger is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 13:04
  #587 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 12,317
Originally Posted by Torquetalk View Post
White lives matter is reactionary. Of course white lives matter. And all lives matter. But this issue is a world in which black lives are seen as having less value. To react against the simple message black lives matter is to miss the point entirely.
Whataboutery is always about missing the point.
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 13:08
  #588 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: UK
Posts: 4,978
The dog has a Gold Medal in 'sad looks' but is 13 with a sore paw....

however from the BBC just now the Airport concerned has stopped all banner towing flights

Bang goes Freedom of Speech

Kiltrash is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 13:10
  #589 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 18,239
As both of you are.
NutLoose is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 13:12
  #590 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 68
Posts: 390
Originally Posted by vlieger View Post
See the cartoon above. You probably think you are being clever, but you are displaying ignorance about what is actually happening in society.
Not being in the slightest bit clever at all. Why not just answer the question? Do you believe that all of those slogans are acceptable here in the UK or not?

Personally, the only one I'd consider wearing (if I ever wore a tee shirt) , would be the "All Lives Matter" one, as I believe that all of the others are potentially racist, by fostering division where none should exist.
VP959 is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 13:35
  #591 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 578
Recorded long before the current BLM became a media frenzy. A stark view of British attitudes.


Last edited by Harley Quinn; 23rd Jun 2020 at 19:50.
Harley Quinn is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 13:39
  #592 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,500
Originally Posted by Kiltrash View Post
The dog has a Gold Medal in 'sad looks' but is 13 with a sore paw....

however from the BBC just now the Airport concerned has stopped all banner towing flights

Bang goes Freedom of Speech
or merely exercising their freedom not to do business with tw*ts?
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 14:44
  #593 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 18,239
He said as long as banners were legal and did not use coarse language, the company did not 'take sides' and had previously done a Black Lives Matter banner. He claimed police had been informed of the banner in advance.
As said, its a business, and your attitudes have just probably shut it down with your holier than though approach, I do hope they sue the airport for racial discrimination and loss of earnings because that is what it is!
NutLoose is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 16:06
  #594 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 68
Posts: 390
Originally Posted by G-ARZG View Post
They're named on BBC, do they have an AOC?
#askingforafriend
Almost certainly. as they've been in business for a couple of decades, with a lot of their business being sports and general advertising, promotional stuff for events and things like marriage proposals via banners.
VP959 is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 17:24
  #595 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: NI
Posts: 20
Originally Posted by Uplinker View Post
Tell you what......those pancakes are seriously unhealthy !! Every food content label on the packet is red. At least the Yorkshire puddings' labels are green and amber.

I love the way there are two or three blueberries photographed next to the huge stack of pancakes, as if to say "these are healthy, honest - see; there is some real fruit in the picture". Brilliant !
I wonder why they chose blueberries instead of.....😉
StAn gelo is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 17:35
  #596 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,500
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
Almost certainly. as they've been in business for a couple of decades, with a lot of their business being sports and general advertising, promotional stuff for events and things like marriage proposals via banners.
Haven't these guys used the "we don't look what's on the banner" line before?
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 17:38
  #597 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 519
Yes, all lives matter, no, black lives matter isnít racist.Yes,there are tossers everywhere.
Do you believe BAME people are disadvantaged or not, a lot of very easily accessible,reliable information to help you come to a reasoned conclusion.

The vast majority of people involved in the BLM movement are decent, pretty normal, trying to highlight a (what I believe) real and very serious issue.
I know (at least anecdotally) this to be true.
Some of the people who attended, are people I know and respect, a former member of the RAF and an ex brother in law.
I like to think Iíve come to my conclusion based on fact, but there will always be an element of bias we bring to any of our opinions.
woptb is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 17:50
  #598 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,500
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
Some questions, in the context of the situation regarding racism within the UK:

If I choose to wear a "black lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If I choose to wear a "brown lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If I choose to wear a "yellow lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If I choose to wear a "white lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If I choose to wear a "all lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", then what is the precise logic that makes one of these slogans any more, or less, acceptable than any other?
You need to consider the context - at times shouting "FIRE!" is a good thing, at others it isn't....


SWBKCB is online now  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 18:05
  #599 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Cotswolds
Age: 64
Posts: 1,263
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
Some questions, in the context of the situation regarding racism within the UK:

1. If I choose to wear a "black lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

2. If I choose to wear a "brown lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

3. If I choose to wear a "yellow lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

4. If I choose to wear a "white lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

5. If I choose to wear a "all lives matter" tee shirt, am I being racist and offensive?

If the answer to any of these questions is "yes", then what is the precise logic that makes one of these slogans any more, or less, acceptable than any other?
1 No, you would be showing understanding of what has happened over the last weeks, within the context of institutional racism
2. In the context of what has been happening, people might be wondering what your point is
3. In the context of what has been happening, people might be wondering what your point is
4. Yes, totally as we cannot isolate ourselves from the world we live in, so yes in the context of what has been happening over the recent weeks
5. Indeed some people might construe this as being a denial of the Black Lives Matter purpose, even though in any other context it would be a statement I would support

vanHorck is offline  
Old 23rd Jun 2020, 18:13
  #600 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 12,317
Originally Posted by G-ARZG View Post
They're named on BBC, do they have an AOC?
Not as far as I know.

But unless they are carrying passengers or cargo (which I don't think is the case) then there is no requirement to have an AOC.
DaveReidUK is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.