Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

When Will pointless adverts stop?

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

When Will pointless adverts stop?

Old 31st Mar 2020, 09:57
  #21 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,466
Not sure whether to be amused or amazed - otherwise apparently intelligent people not only voluntarily view this rubbish but are prepared to discuss the merits/demerits of same!! I had assumed that if you could suspend intellectual activity for long enough to watch 'commercial' TV you might still retain enough self-respect to operate the mute button during these drivel intervals; even better record them and fast forward through them! Apart from deadening any sense of critical thinking ability, the 'commercials' add not a jot to any of mankind's progress. At least the above contributions help to explain some of the otherwise inexplicable choices made by the population in recent years!
Cornish Jack is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 10:02
  #22 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: One Three Seven, Disco Heaven.
Age: 62
Posts: 1,953
Just to be clear, I wasn't being flippant about the Paramedic or any other health workers being evicted. It was the fact SHELTER were using this to get donations. Didn't the government bring in legislation, preventing anybody from being evicted, or was this just for folk who couldn't pay their rent, and not anyone who actually could still pay their rent?

Dan Gerous is online now  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 10:11
  #23 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: back out to Grasse
Posts: 348
The problem is many corporates have leveraged their quota of advertising slots for the next 6 months at least, and they live in hope that things will return to normal I we will all start cruising and flying again.

I note with interest so many programs being brought to us by Viking Cruise Lines at a time when all of their ships are sat in anchorages around the world.

IG
Imagegear is online now  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 12:45
  #24 (permalink)  
Cunning Artificer
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The spiritual home of DeHavilland
Age: 74
Posts: 3,125
I rather like Pointless. It's on when I arrive home, put my feet up and relax.
Blacksheep is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 15:24
  #25 (permalink)  

Ich bin ein Prooner.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Home of the Full Monty.
Posts: 509
An ad showing quite regularly hereabouts (U.K.) is an umbrella cover-all setup for whichever tradesperson you might need to do some work in your house. As the ad is shown at various times during a programme you might be watching, each time a different task is depicted, i.e. painting, jet washing, some electrical stuff etc., but the one that makes me chortle is a close-up of a drill being used to make a hole in a wall. When the drill is started, the drill bit clearly shows the machine to be in reverse, going the wrong way round! So I won't be Checking that Trade!
Noah Zark. is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 17:10
  #26 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by Noah Zark. View Post
An ad showing quite regularly hereabouts (U.K.) is an umbrella cover-all setup for whichever tradesperson you might need to do some work in your house. As the ad is shown at various times during a programme you might be watching, each time a different task is depicted, i.e. painting, jet washing, some electrical stuff etc., but the one that makes me chortle is a close-up of a drill being used to make a hole in a wall. When the drill is started, the drill bit clearly shows the machine to be in reverse, going the wrong way round! So I won't be Checking that Trade!
But then again, Shannon's Sampling Theorem clearly states that any repetitive motion being sampled (a spinning drill bit being sampled by video frame rate in this particular instance) can only be accurately depicted when the repetition rate is less than half the sampling rate (the Nyquist limit). As the drill bit was very likely revolving faster than this limit, it might appear to be turning in either direction, depending upon its exact rotational speed, due to aliasing.

Without knowing the exact speed of rotation, it is impossible to tell which way it was turning from viewing the video; either way would be perfectly possible, with it appearing to be turning either way similarly possible, whilst not being determined by the actual rotational direction. This is the same effect that can make spoked wheels, or (excuse the aviation content) propellers or helicopter rotors to appear to turn either way, or even to appear to be almost stationary - which often seems to over-excite some who witness the effect.

On this occasion, I'd be tempted to give the tradesperson the benefit of the doubt.
pilotmike is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 17:17
  #27 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 42
Posts: 607
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
If these charities think I'm going to donate because they show really disturbing and sickening images whilst we're having supper
TV on whilst having dinner, what kind of uncultured and family destroying behaviour is that?
SMT Member is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 17:20
  #28 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 68
Posts: 412
Originally Posted by SMT Member View Post
TV on whilst having dinner, what kind of uncultured and family destroying behaviour is that?
A lazy one, where SWMBO has permanent control of the remote, and where I am but a passive recipient of whatever she chooses to view on the TV. Often means I open my laptop and try to do a bit of quiet PPRuNing in the evenings . . .
VP959 is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 20:06
  #29 (permalink)  

Ich bin ein Prooner.
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Home of the Full Monty.
Posts: 509
Originally Posted by pilotmike View Post
But then again, Shannon's Sampling Theorem clearly states that any repetitive motion being sampled (a spinning drill bit being sampled by video frame rate in this particular instance) can only be accurately depicted when the repetition rate is less than half the sampling rate (the Nyquist limit). As the drill bit was very likely revolving faster than this limit, it might appear to be turning in either direction, depending upon its exact rotational speed, due to aliasing.

Without knowing the exact speed of rotation, it is impossible to tell which way it was turning from viewing the video; either way would be perfectly possible, with it appearing to be turning either way similarly possible, whilst not being determined by the actual rotational direction. This is the same effect that can make spoked wheels, or (excuse the aviation content) propellers or helicopter rotors to appear to turn either way, or even to appear to be almost stationary - which often seems to over-excite some who witness the effect.

On this occasion, I'd be tempted to give the tradesperson the benefit of the doubt.
pilotmike
I take your point, but in this case, the drill is actually staionary, and then starts turning. It quite clearly is rotating the wrong way round. and to illustrate this, there is no debris being chewed out of the hole.
Noah Zark. is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 20:28
  #30 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Station 42
Age: 66
Posts: 940
Originally Posted by Noah Zark. View Post
An ad showing quite regularly hereabouts (U.K.) is an umbrella cover-all setup for whichever tradesperson you might need to do some work in your house. As the ad is shown at various times during a programme you might be watching, each time a different task is depicted, i.e. painting, jet washing, some electrical stuff etc., but the one that makes me chortle is a close-up of a drill being used to make a hole in a wall. When the drill is started, the drill bit clearly shows the machine to be in reverse, going the wrong way round! So I won't be Checking that Trade!
Perhaps the guy in question is an actor rather than a bone fide tradesman. It's highly unlikely that anyone in the business wouldn't know how to use a reversible drill.
stevef is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 20:29
  #31 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ilmington, Warwickshire
Posts: 1
Just seen an advert from Nman - not heard of them before - offering a solution to erectile disfunction. Thatís not another symptom is it?
BehindBlueEyes is offline  
Old 31st Mar 2020, 21:31
  #32 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 407
Originally Posted by Noah Zark. View Post
pilotmike
I take your point, but in this case, the drill is actually staionary, and then starts turning. It quite clearly is rotating the wrong way round. and to illustrate this, there is no debris being chewed out of the hole.
I accept your point. Oddly, there does seem to be an odd trend for TV footage to be shown as reflected (right becomes left and vice versa), which would also show your example drill bit rotating the wrong way. The give away is when there is writing in view, which shows the stupidity of doing this.

Worse, sometimes footage is run backwards, which is particularly disturbing with natural phenomena such as breaking waves in the shot; waves really do look most odd as they sweep back out to sea, clearing up all the white water 'in front' of them as they go. I guess this didn't happen for your drill example, or chunks of plasterboard would be visible jumping back up from the floor to neatly pack themselves back into the hole that was being 'undrilled'.
pilotmike is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 04:52
  #33 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Monrovia / Liberia
Age: 60
Posts: 753
Sick of adverts & pop-up's, etc?... then simply change tour browser to one called 'Brave' (<-- click) and hey presto, problem solved... it also blocks 'trackers' plus other stuff and it's really quick too.
Old King Coal is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 06:42
  #34 (permalink)  
Paid...Persona Grata
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Between BHX and EMA
Age: 75
Posts: 237
even better record them and fast forward through them
Is there any other way?

I accept that large organisations might have pre-paid for TV ad slots and can't get out of the contract - but surely that doesn't apply to the emails that continue to land in my spam folder advertising holidays, hotels, discounts at restaurants.....
UniFoxOs is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 07:54
  #35 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Everett, WA
Age: 66
Posts: 3,373
Originally Posted by UniFoxOs View Post
I accept that large organisations might have pre-paid for TV ad slots and can't get out of the contract - but surely that doesn't apply to the emails that continue to land in my spam folder advertising holidays, hotels, discounts at restaurants.....
Since there is virtually no cost in sending spam email, why would they even make the effort to stop. Easier to just keep cranking them out at the rate of billions per day - the only cost is electricity to run the computers to send the spam, and they need to keep those powered in case they actually find some one dumb enough to respond.
What amazes me is that there are still people out there dumb enough to respond to spam ads.
tdracer is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 10:39
  #36 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SW England
Age: 74
Posts: 3,870
My most recent bete noire, an Amazon advert, seems to have been pulled, thankfully. It featured an overweight man returning from a jog, gasping and wheezing, and making himself some sort of disgusting green smoothy, which he then offers to share with his smug wife and daughter, who are looking at him with ill disguised contempt. I understood that the advertising industry had agreed not to carry on portraying men as idiots, but apparently not.
Tankertrashnav is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 10:47
  #37 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,251
Originally Posted by tdracer View Post
Since there is virtually no cost in sending spam email, why would they even make the effort to stop. Easier to just keep cranking them out at the rate of billions per day - the only cost is electricity to run the computers to send the spam, and they need to keep those powered in case they actually find some one dumb enough to respond.
What amazes me is that there are still people out there dumb enough to respond to spam ads.
Because thankfully, here in the EU (or at least for us in transition out of the EU!) we benefit from the General Data Protection Regulations which ensure that opting out of marketing means opting out, so provided you are careful with your data you can easily become spam-free from reputable advertisers - and nobody in their right mind deals with disreputable business.

What happens when we leave transition who knows, but I suspect the rules will be relaxed. GDPR was one of the very best pieces of EU legislation enacted; streets more beneficial than EU261 that has just become a claim management company charter.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 12:23
  #38 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 449
Another vote for Brave as new browser.

As for pointless adverts, they must have been prepaid and seem to be inherent in the TV programme, so repeats (plenty of the, plenty of them) keep showing the same ads at the same place in each show.....
Shelter guy needs to learn to blink, that's almost more off putting than the "appeal" - as does the quarantined CMO...
Icare9 is offline  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 12:35
  #39 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 1,124
I wouldn't say I'm distraught as to not viewing those unctuous inflection adverts for river cruises, and the clientele, on our screens.

But, I am amused with the algorithms on here which keep offering me the chance to relocate to Ecuador / Colombia and more recently Turkey. Quite how they've analysed this from my searches is an IT mystery really as I've never actually looked at any of these locations.
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 1st Apr 2020, 13:44
  #40 (permalink)  

Avoid imitations
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Wandering the FIR and cyberspace often at highly unsociable times
Posts: 13,375
Originally Posted by Uplinker View Post
Charity is big business, and they are run as businesses, with CEOs, and HR and building maintenance deptartments etc.

And they can create a 'business' out of thin air with salaried full time jobs.
Yes, I totally agree. Not too long back a certain air ambulance organisation was set up and appeared to be duplicating those already in existence. I have since become very suspicious about quite a few other charities - one can only wonder who are the main beneficiaries.

The others I refuse to contribute to are these "charity" bags regularly posted through our letterbox, asking for clothes, shoes, bric-brac etc. Reading the small print soon makes it clear that the main beneficiary is NOT the charity advertised on the bag, but a company who pledge to donate some of the proceeds of their business to the charity.
ShyTorque is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.