Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: The Thread

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Coronavirus: The Thread

Old 8th Apr 2022, 12:04
  #18721 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: UK
Posts: 44
My nearest major A&E hospital was lucky enough to have the space to set up separate entrances, waiting and treatment areas to keep covid and non-covid patients apart. Not sure what they did with those waiting for test results.

Not sure I follow your comments regarding excess deaths and/or death rates. Like the UK, the US (CDC) has published data showing some 500,000 excess deaths in 2021 over and above the long term average (2.9M expected, 3.4M recorded). So covid deaths have not simply replaced flu deaths.


roger4 is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2022, 18:00
  #18722 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
In the last financial year (2021-2022) 15.7 billion was spent on Track and Trace testing - 2 billion in January 2022 alone.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-2021-to-2022

Bearing in mind that in - albeit in October 2019 - just 2.7 billion would build six hospitals, maybe resourcing might have been better redirected into creating critical care beds for those who really needed specialist treatment rather than testing a vast amount of the population who were either asymptomatic or would only be mildly affected? Instead, and as happens every year, we have the inevitable queues of ambulances outside A&E and everyone predictably blaming it on covid cases.

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...d-be-delivered

BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 8th Apr 2022, 18:10
  #18723 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 690
There is no denying test, track and trace in the UK was a complete horlicks. That does not devalue the strategy but highlights a complete failure of execution. In many other countries it worked successfully and kept cases down or snubbed out outbreaks altogether.

What it does show is the government's absolutely amateurish approach to a serious issue and their inability to admit failure, throwing good money after bad,
Ninthace is offline  
Old 20th Apr 2022, 21:20
  #18724 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 690
Snippet from New Scientist.
Doctors are seeing a rise in both type 1 and type 2 diabetes after covid-19 infections. Signs of a rise were noticed in the first few months of the pandemic in Wuhan, China, and have since been confirmed in other countries. Most of the studies on this link so far have been descriptive ones, looking at people who go to hospital for covid-19 and are diagnosed with diabetes while there. More recently, researchers have begun estimating how often diabetes arises after the infection, including in people who didn’t go to hospital, who account for most covid-19 cases. There are several possible mechanisms behind the development of diabetes in people who have had covid-19, and for some people the diagnosis is temporary. Researchers have now started a registry to track the connection between covid-19 and diabetes, and the long-term outcomes

The link referred to is here but is paywalled The main article is long and riddled with hyperlinks so I have not copied it out of respect for the mods..
https://www.newscientist.com/article...NSDAY_20220420
Ninthace is offline  
Old 5th May 2022, 22:22
  #18725 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2021
Location: UK
Posts: 38
WHO report 2022

From the media : "Britain's pandemic death rate is lower than most major European nations, according to estimates by the World Health Organization (WHO).

The UK ranks roughly in the middle of an EU table of excess death rates, coming 15th out of the bloc's 27 member states, behind Spain, Germany and Italy.

There were widely-publicised claims by zealous scientists and MPs including Sir Keir Starmer last year that Britain had endured one of the biggest death tolls on the continent. The claim was used by critics as justification for tougher restrictions. ".
_______________

As the dust settles the big picture takes shape would you say ?
Right20deg is offline  
Old 6th May 2022, 14:43
  #18726 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by Right20deg View Post
From the media : "Britain's pandemic death rate is lower than most major European nations, according to estimates by the World Health Organization (WHO).

The UK ranks roughly in the middle of an EU table of excess death rates, coming 15th out of the bloc's 27 member states, behind Spain, Germany and Italy.

There were widely-publicised claims by zealous scientists and MPs including Sir Keir Starmer last year that Britain had endured one of the biggest death tolls on the continent. The claim was used by critics as justification for tougher restrictions. ".
_______________

As the dust settles the big picture takes shape would you say ?
It does indeed but if you take the time to look at all the European data for excess deaths you may not like what it tells you, For example, Norway, Denmark and Iceland all had a slight fall in excess deaths whereas Sweden did not, yet the right wing press is holding up Sweden's numbers as justification for their opposition to lockdown because the Swedish figure is lower than the UK.
Ninthace is offline  
Old 6th May 2022, 16:18
  #18727 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedford, UK
Age: 68
Posts: 1,298
Press in LA County reporting a four fold increase in infections over last month, 96% BA.2 and variants. Hospitalisations remain low. So much for herd immunity.
Mr Optimistic is offline  
Old 6th May 2022, 16:21
  #18728 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedford, UK
Age: 68
Posts: 1,298
Originally Posted by Ninthace View Post
There is no denying test, track and trace in the UK was a complete horlicks. That does not devalue the strategy but highlights a complete failure of execution. In many other countries it worked successfully and kept cases down or snubbed out outbreaks altogether.

What it does show is the government's absolutely amateurish approach to a serious issue and their inability to admit failure, throwing good money after bad,
Are you sure its the 'government' and not the NHS ? Here today gone tomorrow politicians are one thing but the quality of our civil service and other agencies would be where I'd look.

Mr Optimistic is offline  
Old 6th May 2022, 17:20
  #18729 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Bristol,UK
Posts: 225
Originally Posted by Mr Optimistic View Post
Are you sure its the 'government' and not the NHS ? Here today gone tomorrow politicians are one thing but the quality of our civil service and other agencies would be where I'd look.
We already had a system for tracing contacts of people with infections of concern but the government decided to create a new system for Covid.
under_exposed is online now  
Old 6th May 2022, 18:01
  #18730 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: USA
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by BWSBoy6 View Post
In the last financial year (2021-2022) 15.7 billion was spent on Track and Trace testing - 2 billion in January 2022 alone.

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...e-2021-to-2022

Bearing in mind that in - albeit in October 2019 - just 2.7 billion would build six hospitals, maybe resourcing might have been better redirected into creating critical care beds for those who really needed specialist treatment rather than testing a vast amount of the population who were either asymptomatic or would only be mildly affected? Instead, and as happens every year, we have the inevitable queues of ambulances outside A&E and everyone predictably blaming it on covid cases.

https://www.architectsjournal.co.uk/...d-be-delivered
You can build all the hospitals you wanted but without additional medical staff it makes no difference. Similar to the ventilator crisis - at some point the people trained and skilled at using them is the actual limit. It's easy to throw hardware at a problem when there are plenty of people to use it, but once all the people are involved that's it.
MechEngr is offline  
Old 6th May 2022, 18:35
  #18731 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by Mr Optimistic View Post
Are you sure its the 'government' and not the NHS ? Here today gone tomorrow politicians are one thing but the quality of our civil service and other agencies would be where I'd look.
Yep. Done under the NHS logo but a Government initiative lead by Baroness Dido Harding appointed by Matt Hancock who recruited a load of "volunteers" who then sat about with nothing to do.
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/n...amme-appointed
Ninthace is offline  
Old 6th May 2022, 18:39
  #18732 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 690
Originally Posted by MechEngr View Post
You can build all the hospitals you wanted but without additional medical staff it makes no difference. Similar to the ventilator crisis - at some point the people trained and skilled at using them is the actual limit. It's easy to throw hardware at a problem when there are plenty of people to use it, but once all the people are involved that's it.
The old line of defence that you hear trotted out time after time "We have spent Xm" or better still "We have set aside Xm". Gives the impression that action has been taken where, in reality, little has been achieved.
Ninthace is offline  
Old 12th May 2022, 13:38
  #18733 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: There and here
Posts: 2,499
I had the pleasure of 5hrs in A&E yesterday, accompanying an injured soul. A large 'super hospital' and despite there being signs everywhere, including security at the entrances with boxes of masks, it was very noticeable throughout the hospital's main areas and departments that perhaps only 50% or less were wearing masks at all. In general terms it seemed to be (forgive me) split down obvious lines, middle-class/adjacent yes, working class/adjacent no. Both male and female the same. It surprised me, it being a hospital and that infections are still out and about.

Things have eased off dramatically everywhere else, thank god, but for some reason I'd imagined that hospitals would be different. As an aside, wearing a mask for 5hrs was such a strange feeling, after not having done so for some months, whilst travelling. It would appear that there too, masks will no longer be required. Apparently in airports or aircraft whilst travelling in the EU the mandate is ending, unless one wished to do so.
SpringHeeledJack is offline  
Old 12th May 2022, 14:32
  #18734 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bomber County
Age: 71
Posts: 192
I volunteer at a Covid Jab centre and we insist on masks before anyone comes in the door.

(Not there at the moment as I caught Covid elsewhere and am still positive!!!!)
radar101 is offline  
Old 12th May 2022, 16:40
  #18735 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 707
Our local news has reported that CoViD-19-caused deaths in the United States have now crossed 1,000,000. A tragedy, to be sure, but calculated on a population of 330,000,000, total deaths approximate 0.3 percent - 0.003030 - of the population. Based on a U.K population of 67,000,000 and 177,566 deaths, a rate of 0.265 percent is realized.

One wonders if the viral mutagenesis of CoViD-19 approached the mortality of Lassa or Ebola viruses, how horrible these statistics would be.

See COVID Stats

- Ed

Last edited by cavuman1; 12th May 2022 at 22:15. Reason: Correct decimal placement per Mr. Reid
cavuman1 is offline  
Old 12th May 2022, 16:47
  #18736 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 13,941
Originally Posted by cavuman1 View Post
total deaths approximate 0.03 percent - 0.003030 - of the population
You might want to get some new batteries for your calculator.
DaveReidUK is online now  
Old 12th May 2022, 22:14
  #18737 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 707
DaveReidUK - you are correct, Sir! New batteries and new eyes would be good. Lets make that 0.3% and 0.27% respectively.

- Ed
cavuman1 is offline  
Old 21st May 2022, 12:32
  #18738 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 78
Who will staff the "specialist" hospitals? Currently hospitals the world over cannot staff the buildings that already exist.
averow is offline  
Old 21st May 2022, 14:03
  #18739 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Anyone recall the huge increase in temporary mortuary facilities that were implemented at the beginning of the pandemic? Our local hospital erected several marquees plus four large refrigerated lorries to cope with the expected fatalities.

No wonder people were petrified to start with.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 31st May 2022, 06:51
  #18740 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2021
Location: Uk
Posts: 77
Originally Posted by BWSBoy6 View Post
Anyone recall the huge increase in temporary mortuary facilities that were implemented at the beginning of the pandemic? Our local hospital erected several marquees plus four large refrigerated lorries to cope with the expected fatalities.

No wonder people were petrified to start with.
Do you also recall the bodies piling up in Italy? New York City also had and indeed had to use refrigerated lorries for body storage during the initial stages.

I’m sure most people would rather have had the storage and not need it, rather than need it and not have it.
Flyhighfirst is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.