Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: The Thread

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Coronavirus: The Thread

Old 17th Dec 2021, 12:21
  #18061 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedford, UK
Age: 68
Posts: 1,287
No reaction after any jab here, me and the wife. Have spoken to a couple of people who felt rough for a day or two after the booster, these were both 2 astra followed by the pfizer booster, could be coincidental of course as wife had astra first too but no reaction.
Mr Optimistic is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2021, 14:07
  #18062 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
The rate at which Omicron is spreading, the inevitability that everyone will probably catch it and the fact that for the vast majority it is no worse than a mild head cold, I wonder if the self isolation period will have to be reduced? If we have a fully functioning, recovered workforce sitting around twiddling their thumbs for around 8 days, it won’t take long for the infrastructure to severely bend. There will be the vulnerable at even more risk because they won’t have access to carers, public transport will be severely curtailed, deliveries halted and shops will be unable to open - let alone the usual NHS crisis.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2021, 14:44
  #18063 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Lestah
Posts: 191
Originally Posted by Mr Optimistic View Post
No reaction after any jab here, me and the wife. Have spoken to a couple of people who felt rough for a day or two after the booster, these were both 2 astra followed by the pfizer booster, could be coincidental of course as wife had astra first too but no reaction.
I had 2 doses of AZ with no after effects on either.

Booster on Tuesday morning just gone was Pfeizer. All good until that night, then wipeout until Wednesday evening. That also included sore upper arm and pins and needles in lower arm, which was odd.
Local Variation is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2021, 17:00
  #18064 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 57
Posts: 9,188
Originally Posted by treadigraph View Post
I got the shivers late in the afternoon two days after my booster, back to normal by bed time.
Booster was Pfizer after two AZs

Friend tells me she felt pretty rotten for a day after her Pfizer booster early this week - she had the Moderna jab first and second.
treadigraph is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2021, 20:47
  #18065 (permalink)  
See and avoid
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 580
Pfizer booster after two Pfizer jabs. My shoulder hurt the worst on the third jab. Did feel a little tired, but maybe that’s me being lazy…

I know a much younger person who had a mild headache and was also tired after second Pfizer dose.

None of us has gone to hospital with anything, but I do know a friend with long Covid, which seems to be something you want to avoid.
visibility3miles is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2021, 20:55
  #18066 (permalink)  
See and avoid
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 580
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
You say that, and I would agree to some extent… Otherwise employ security.

When all said and done retailers challenge shoplifters, .
Thread drift…

Actually, a lot of big retailers, in the US at least, tell their employees, “Don’t challenge shoplifters. We don’t want you or our customers getting shot or injured.”
visibility3miles is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2021, 21:48
  #18067 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,306
Originally Posted by visibility3miles View Post
Thread driftÖ

Actually, a lot of big retailers, in the US at least, tell their employees, ďDonít challenge shoplifters. We donít want you or our customers getting shot or injured.Ē
I can say that from personal experience security does challenge possible shoplifters in at least one UK supermarket chain. A security tag hadn't been removed from a toy I bought and they were on to me the moment the alarm was triggered as I left the shop.

Given the stupidity of gun laws in the USA challenging people could be quite risky!
ATNotts is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 07:58
  #18068 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1998
Location: Mesopotamos
Posts: 0
While watching the national news this afternoon the chief health officer for the state north of us came on to discuss the Omicron situation under his jurisdiction after they experienced a massive surge in cases today. What a refreshing change from our lunkheads south of the river. A lot of what he said was actually sensible, particularly that bit where because Omicron was highly contagious then expect the sudden surge in cases to be overwhelming, however also expect it to dissipate just as rapidly. He acknowledged that whether the effects of Omicron is milder than Delta are not yet known and is still being investigated worldwide, but he also backed this statement up that with the sheer number of Omicron expected cases then even a small percentage of severe illness will be very significant and therefore asked the public to continue to take precautions.

In contrast to this bulletin I also saw the USA's ABC's bulletin about an hour earlier which was quite scary. It came across as American's are now panicking and about to start killing each other in desperation to get their booster shots.
cattletruck is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 08:42
  #18069 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 510
Last year while Boris and his pals were partying, like many others of the military, my son in law was working 16hr shifts 7 days a week to help sort out the NHSís problems. We were hoping to see him this year but he has been put on standby again so it may not happen. If the government will not take measures to flatten the curve, then it behoves us to do what we can as individuals or the percentage of people isolating for 10 days will lead to a breakdown in services which the military will not be able to cover.
Ninthace is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 10:08
  #18070 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Manchester, England
Age: 56
Posts: 871
The Times today reports that a 2 week lockdown plan is being formulated. Common sense would say do that now, as after Christmas will be too late, however with the current clowns in charge who knows! I’m assuming that this is following the usual pattern of measures being trailed in the Times prior to announcing them formally.
Curious Pax is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 10:32
  #18071 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 1,142
Originally Posted by Curious Pax View Post
The Times today reports that a 2 week lockdown plan is being formulated. Common sense would say do that now, as after Christmas will be too late, however with the current clowns in charge who knows! Iím assuming that this is following the usual pattern of measures being trailed in the Times prior to announcing them formally.
Common sense and Boris / this Gov't have long been mutually exclusive to the extent of being non-existent. Precedents are unlikely therefore.

But, as has been said many times, after last Christmas and the duplicity that ensued, he won't dare risk a repeat and anyway, after N.Y, the festivities are over and people are back at work, in theory, hence if there is another two week lockdown, Boris can't be held responsible for not ruining another Christmas and anybody who may contract Covid, in any form, clearly didn't listen to the advice about being selective as to whom they socialised with ...so it's their own fault

Abrogating responsibility is a well established practice with Boris.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 10:53
  #18072 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sunnydale
Posts: 199
Originally Posted by Curious Pax View Post
The Times today reports that a 2 week lockdown plan is being formulated. Common sense would say do that now, as after Christmas will be too late, however with the current clowns in charge who knows! Iím assuming that this is following the usual pattern of measures being trailed in the Times prior to announcing them formally.
it already is too late Iím afraid. Thereís a natural lockdown lite with the schools having broken up for Christmas. But omicron is now rife in the community. Daily figures bubbling at 50k a day for months to jumping to just under 90k yesterday should tell you that.
back to Boeing is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 12:31
  #18073 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by back to Boeing View Post
it already is too late Iím afraid. Thereís a natural lockdown lite with the schools having broken up for Christmas. But omicron is now rife in the community. Daily figures bubbling at 50k a day for months to jumping to just under 90k yesterday should tell you that.
Absolutely this.

There is no way we can shut the door on Omicron now. Itís in every town, in every building and possibly in every household. We just need to ride the storm and hope this is COVIDís last stand.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 13:13
  #18074 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 510
Originally Posted by BWSBoy6 View Post
Absolutely this.

There is no way we can shut the door on Omicron now. It’s in every town, in every building and possibly in every household. We just need to ride the storm and hope this is COVID’s last stand.
Not yet it isn't. Just as well because if it was, the lights would go out!
Ninthace is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 13:29
  #18075 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by Ninthace View Post
Not yet it isn't. Just as well because if it was, the lights would go out!

Not necessarily. Plenty of people have already been infected and recovered - myself and my family included in the last fortnight.

If Omicron is as transmissible as the experts suggest then having a two week circuit breaker probably saves you a day or two at best.

Itís simply not worth the time, money or effort.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 13:39
  #18076 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 510
Originally Posted by BWSBoy6 View Post
Not necessarily. Plenty of people have already been infected and recovered - myself and my family included in the last fortnight.

If Omicron is as transmissible as the experts suggest then having a two week circuit breaker probably saves you a day or two at best.

It’s simply not worth the time, money or effort.
Good job you are not doing the emergency planning then. Many essential services are dependent on teams, get the bug into a team by the time it is apparent, you can lose the whole team for 10 days.
https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/om...orkers-1354447
Ninthace is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 13:55
  #18077 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by Ninthace View Post
Good job you are not doing the emergency planning then. Many essential services are dependent on teams, get the bug into a team by the time it is apparent, you can lose the whole team for 10 days.
https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/om...orkers-1354447
Or, alternatively just reduce the isolation period? With such an infectious variant, quarantine seems to be pretty irrelevant now. If someone feels well enough to return to work, why have them at home twiddling their thumbs. Although this may be academic as in the next 10 days at the current rate, it is reported we will all have been infected.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 14:04
  #18078 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 1,142
Originally Posted by BWSBoy6 View Post
Not necessarily. Plenty of people have already been infected and recovered - myself and my family included in the last fortnight.

If Omicron is as transmissible as the experts suggest then having a two week circuit breaker probably saves you a day or two at best.

Itís simply not worth the time, money or effort.
Perhaps you've been very fortunate. Others however may not be and there are more and more reports emerging alluding to a "two week circuit breaker" in early Jan. Unfortunately, no bookie would give you odds against this happening.

Also, I think you are being overly optimistic about Covid becoming more controlled. Again, there are numerous scientific reports, and I freely admit I haven't read may of them, that suggest Covid is more than capable of outwitting, for want of a better term, humanity and as such will be part of our lives for a very, very long time to come.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 14:19
  #18079 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips View Post
Perhaps you've been very fortunate. Others however may not be and there are more and more reports emerging alluding to a "two week circuit breaker" in early Jan. Unfortunately, no bookie would give you odds against this happening.

Also, I think you are being overly optimistic about Covid becoming more controlled. Again, there are numerous scientific reports, and I freely admit I haven't read may of them, that suggest Covid is more than capable of outwitting, for want of a better term, humanity and as such will be part of our lives for a very, very long time to come.
Quite agree.

I have a lot of faith in Tim Spector who runs the Zoe Covid symptom study. He also believes that covid will become endemic and a virus we will eventually live with. Thatís why I think, apart from vaccines, there is little we can do to delay the inevitable. Itís part of living in a global society. Mask wearing may help to a certain extent but whilst there is so many exceptions given to a large number of individuals, it lessens the overall benefit plus, and hereís come the complete cynic in me, throughout this whole scenario, not just politicians but the rich, the famous and sports people have continued to live by a different set of conditions from the rest of us. Theyíve continued with international travel and mixed socially regardless. Whilst there is such a leaky sieve, restrictions become meaningless.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2021, 15:18
  #18080 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedford, UK
Age: 68
Posts: 1,287
The impact of globalisation on plant and tree diseases has already shown what is going to happen. Reduction of controls at borders seemed a laudable thing but it brought consequences, including the political repercussions of unwanted immigration. Covid is here to staym however like tge 'English Sweats', leprosy and plague it will probably become less vigourous and fade into the background.
Mr Optimistic is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.