Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Coronavirus: The Thread

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Coronavirus: The Thread

Old 14th Dec 2021, 12:57
  #18001 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 449
No sh*t, Sherlock!!

Really glad we have experts to explain things...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-59651166
Icare9 is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2021, 13:00
  #18002 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: uk
Posts: 1,715
It would be very interesting to see a funnel chart like that related to vaccinations. Four weeks ago my daughter, who had 2 AZ vaccinations, went to a friends birthday party. Three days later she tested ngative using a LFT but, with developing symptoms, she went for a PCR test and showed as Covid positive. By this time she was fairly ill with heavy cold symptoms plus feeling extremely tired. By this time the party host, who had not been vaccinated at all, was in hospital with Covid where he was put into an induced coma for over a week. He is still in hospital although recovering slowly. My dausghter was back to normal within a week.
pulse1 is offline  
Old 14th Dec 2021, 16:06
  #18003 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: London
Posts: 1,298
My daughter along with a group of her mates have just tested positive, her (and others) both being double vaccinated and having had Covid back in July. It appears neither the vaccine nor a previous infection gives you that much protection, however on the bright side it looks like Omicron seems to be less severe than previous variants or the antibodies are alleviating the more severe symptoms.

Maybe this will be the way of things for the foreseeable future, the virus in its latest predominant form ebbing and flowing between younger/less vaccinated populations and and older/higher vax rate nations?
dead_pan is online now  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 13:09
  #18004 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Cases absolutely exploding in my area (SW England) Everyone I know seems to be very mild. Sniffles, slight cough and all at least double if not triple vaxxed. Fingers crossed symptoms stay that way.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 15:04
  #18005 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Station 42
Age: 67
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by BWSBoy6 View Post
Cases absolutely exploding in my area (SW England) Everyone I know seems to be very mild. Sniffles, slight cough and all at least double if not triple vaxxed. Fingers crossed symptoms stay that way.
Yesterday I developed a background headache and occasional cough, followed by slight chest tightness and feeling out of sorts. No noticeable temperature increase. This morning I went to collect a pre-ordered NHS lateral test kit from my local pharmacy only to be told there were none available but to try again tomorrow. I'm fully vaccinated against Covid and flu so if an LFT shows positive it's a worrying sign that Omicron can get in between the cracks. Then again, the infection might prove to be more of an inconvenience than anything else. Meanwhile, I'll be a good boy and stay at home safely with a bottle of brandy.
stevef is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 15:35
  #18006 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by stevef View Post
Yesterday I developed a background headache and occasional cough, followed by slight chest tightness and feeling out of sorts. No noticeable temperature increase. This morning I went to collect a pre-ordered NHS lateral test kit from my local pharmacy only to be told there were none available but to try again tomorrow. I'm fully vaccinated against Covid and flu so if an LFT shows positive it's a worrying sign that Omicron can get in between the cracks. Then again, the infection might prove to be more of an inconvenience than anything else. Meanwhile, I'll be a good boy and stay at home safely with a bottle of brandy.

I don’t want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but those symptoms sound very familiar, but clearly a test will confirm one way or another. The blighter definitely got between my cracks, that’s for sure! If it is and it follows the same track as my dose, I felt better with 24/48 hours and for the remaining isolation period was kicking my heels as I felt completely well. Mrs BWS also followed exactly the same trajectory with her brush with covid too.

Keep us posted.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 15:39
  #18007 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,410
Originally Posted by stevef View Post
Yesterday I developed a background headache and occasional cough, followed by slight chest tightness and feeling out of sorts. No noticeable temperature increase. This morning I went to collect a pre-ordered NHS lateral test kit from my local pharmacy only to be told there were none available but to try again tomorrow. I'm fully vaccinated against Covid and flu so if an LFT shows positive it's a worrying sign that Omicron can get in between the cracks. Then again, the infection might prove to be more of an inconvenience than anything else. Meanwhile, I'll be a good boy and stay at home safely with a bottle of brandy.
I had slight chest tightness and felt out of sorts myself on Monday, couldn't really put my finger on what might have been the problem but didn't even consider Covid and haven't done an LFT. By this morning I was fine. No classic Covid symptoms, nor the common cold symptoms associated with omicron.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 16:05
  #18008 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
I had slight chest tightness and felt out of sorts myself on Monday, couldn't really put my finger on what might have been the problem but didn't even consider Covid and haven't done an LFT. By this morning I was fine. No classic Covid symptoms, nor the common cold symptoms associated with omicron.
Might be worth doing an LFT. Mine wasn’t positive until 4 days after first symptoms.

Now being reported that if you are in the London area and are experiencing cold like symptoms, chances are it is covid.
BWSBoy6 is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 16:08
  #18009 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,410
Originally Posted by BWSBoy6 View Post
Might be worth doing an LFT. Mine wasn’t positive until 4 days after first symptoms.

Now being reported that if you are in the London area and are experiencing cold like symptoms, chances are it is covid.
I have no plans to go anywhere tomorrow, but we're out for lunch Friday so I'll do an LFT tomorrow night and/or Friday morning.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 17:38
  #18010 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,410
You have got to feel sorry for Whitty and the other NHS rep on the podium with Johnson this evening. Neither agree with the government plan which is essentially 'don't cancel Christmas at any cost' but given their positions neither could say so for risk of breaking ranks. Nabaro of the WHO interviewed on Sky News immediately laid the situation on the line much, as I believe Whitty really wanted to.

It looks like the sh1t is going to hit the fan somewhere between 22nd and 29th December.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 17:43
  #18011 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Manchester, England
Age: 56
Posts: 877
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
You have got to feel sorry for Whitty and the other NHS rep on the podium with Johnson this evening. Neither agree with the government plan which is essentially 'don't cancel Christmas at any cost' but given their positions neither could say so for risk of breaking ranks. Nabaro of the WHO interviewed on Sky News immediately laid the situation on the line much, as I believe Whitty really wanted to.

It looks like the sh1t is going to hit the fan somewhere between 22nd and 29th December.
Sam Coates on Sky said it was like watching 2 separate events at the same time - the medics’ cautious approach vs Johnson’s boosterism. I know who I trust!
Curious Pax is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 17:46
  #18012 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Station 42
Age: 67
Posts: 959
Plus Johnson's swervery in avoiding replying to questions he didn't like...
stevef is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2021, 21:03
  #18013 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: Sunnydale
Posts: 209
Originally Posted by stevef View Post
Plus Johnson's swervery in avoiding replying to questions he didn't like...
plus ca change…..
back to Boeing is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 02:50
  #18014 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 140
Cultural icons and Covid messaging

It's bad enough to have purported 'doctors' peddling dangerous material in this pandemic. Sustained rational and informed counter-arguments will hopefully minimise their influence. It's a bit harder, perhaps, to deal with widely venerated figures like Eric Clapton.
From Deutsche Welle:
...since the start of the pandemic, Clapton has thrust himself into the COVID-19 debate, grabbing headlines for opposing lockdowns and refusing to play at venues where unvaccinated concertgoers were not allowed.

In December 2020, he appeared with "anti-vaxxer" Van Morrison on his song "Stand and Deliver," which features lyrics including "Do you wanna be a free man…Or do you wanna be a slave?"

A Rolling Stone article from earlier this year found that aside from spreading COVID-19 misinformation to his numerous fans, he has been helping to bankroll a UK-based group of "anti-vaxx" musicians called Jam for Freedom.
What to do? Most of his fans will be baby boomers or Generation X. Not the best audience for Covid mis/disinformation.

I have long been a Clapton fan. I'm disappointed, and oddly embarrassed at his stance.
John Marsh is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 07:23
  #18015 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,410
France closes borders for UK tourists

Reported on BFM TV this morning.

This Christmas is beginning to feel a bit like Groundhog Day.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 08:58
  #18016 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Station 42
Age: 67
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by BWSBoy6 View Post
I don’t want to be the bearer of bad tidings, but those symptoms sound very familiar, but clearly a test will confirm one way or another. The blighter definitely got between my cracks, that’s for sure! If it is and it follows the same track as my dose, I felt better with 24/48 hours and for the remaining isolation period was kicking my heels as I felt completely well. Mrs BWS also followed exactly the same trajectory with her brush with covid too.

Keep us posted.
Pharmacy LFT home test kits are back in. The result this morning showed negative but I'll do another test tomorrow to make sure. I've got to admit that I only did a nasal swab because the tonsil wipe had me gagging instantly. I'm still feeling a little under the weather for whatever reason.
stevef is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 09:19
  #18017 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: North of Hadrians Wall
Posts: 129
Sorry to repeat myself...

If you have symptoms of COVID-19, you need a different test called a PCR test. Get a PCR test if you have symptoms of COVID-19 on GOV.UK
Rapid lateral flow coronavirus (COVID-19) tests - NHS

It can be some time before it shows up on an LFT, in the mean time you may still be infectious.


OilCan is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 09:29
  #18018 (permalink)  

Flashes from the Archives of Oblivion
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: 03 ACE
Age: 71
Posts: 958
Had to do around 6 seperate LFT tests whilst back in the UK a couple of weeks ago.
None required a "tonsil wipe"
Is this something new ?
El Grifo
El Grifo is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 09:42
  #18019 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Station 42
Age: 67
Posts: 959
Originally Posted by El Grifo View Post
Had to do around 6 seperate LFT tests whilst back in the UK a couple of weeks ago.
None required a "tonsil wipe"
Is this something new ?
El Grifo
I guess it must be a recent thing, my last kit had short swabs for nasal testing.
My new kits came with swab sticks about five inches long to get down and dirty!
stevef is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2021, 09:42
  #18020 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Under a gooseberry bush
Posts: 65
Omicron confirmed in my household.

Mild. Sniffles. Slight sore throat for 24 hours.

All double or triple vaxxed here.

BBC reporting at current rate everyone in the U.K. will be infected by the beginning January.
BWSBoy6 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.