Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

War in Australia (any Oz Politics)

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

War in Australia (any Oz Politics)

Old 20th Dec 2019, 23:23
  #81 (permalink)  
601
 
Join Date: Mar 1999
Location: Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Age: 74
Posts: 1,131
Because that's what he was. And omitting that fact seems to be a deliberate attempt to denigrate a person who deserves respect and acknowledgement for his services to his country.
After the revelations of last week, my respect for him is now at about the bottom of the scale.
601 is offline  
Old 20th Dec 2019, 23:51
  #82 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,320
Because that's what he was. And omitting that fact seems to be a deliberate attempt to denigrate a person who deserves respect and acknowledgement for his services to his country
No attempt to denigrate, if I had I might have mentioned alcoholic, morals of an alley cat, and not permitting his daughter to report rape by Victorian Labor MP Bill Landeryou because it may have put a spoke in his political ambitions. Was a good PM however IMHO.
megan is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2019, 01:04
  #83 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 68
Posts: 536
Originally Posted by megan View Post
No attempt to denigrate, if I had I might have mentioned alcoholic, morals of an alley cat, and not permitting his daughter to report rape by Victorian Labor MP Bill Landeryou because it may have put a spoke in his political ambitions. Was a good PM however IMHO.
If it's at all compensatory, I did NOT like him either as a person or a PM.
But it does not mean that his achievements should not be recognized.

As for his daughter's claim, her story certainly seems plausible but with a history of heroin addiction around the time of the alleged incidents, later conviction for an incident of domestic violence and her affidavit being part of a claim for additional consideration in the disbursement of funds from the sale of D'Alpuget's house then I'm sure that the court reports will make interesting reading.
WingNut60 is online now  
Old 21st Dec 2019, 01:20
  #84 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: N/A
Posts: 3,320
One might ask if the addiction was an outcome of the rape and fathers refusal to allow it to be reported.
megan is offline  
Old 21st Dec 2019, 02:34
  #85 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 68
Posts: 536
Originally Posted by megan View Post
One might ask if the addiction was an outcome of the rape and fathers refusal to allow it to be reported.
It might explain her addiction, though I doubt it. She had an documented addiction by 1982.
And it wouldn't explain her husband's addiction at the same time.
WingNut60 is online now  
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 21:15
  #86 (permalink)  
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Derbyshire, England.
Posts: 4,066
Not much has changed in the last twelve months then,

https://thoughthub.com.au/2019/12/21/the-fake-outrage-against-scott-morrison/?fbclid=IwAR1iJUXIyhEDeDHRMpHJq2uN_YXRHypXdepYQdOLS0-LikgW9KVosaupBp0
parabellum is offline  
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 21:50
  #87 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 965
Only thing that upsets these morons more than a PM taking a holiday during fire season?

Is a PM/ former PM fighting fires.

Go figure.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-11-...res-1/10550038
currawong is offline  
Old 22nd Dec 2019, 23:45
  #88 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Southern Sun
Posts: 417
Another HOT Summer!

Dark Knight is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 00:08
  #89 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: BNE, Australia
Posts: 279
Enjoy, this will be one of the coolest summers for the next 100 years.
chuboy is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 03:31
  #90 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 822
Originally Posted by parabellum View Post
Not much has changed in the last twelve months then,

https://thoughthub.com.au/2019/12/21...kgW9KVosaupBp0
Who wrote that? $11m is a quarter of the cost of one heli tanker. It was already budgeted for. That money will get a lease on a few more helitankers for a short while. It isn’t a long term fix. The issues facing this countries with bushfires are going to need much more resolve and action than that.

Dont like what those former fire chiefs (hundreds of years of experience and the freedom to speak without being restrained by current governments) have to say? Fine, the current RFS chief in NSW has stated these are unprecedented conditions that can be linked to climate change. The current opinion of government bodies like the BoM and CSIRO echoes that.

I dont want to talk political disagreements too much but it is a bit rich for Morrison to claim the high ground when video shows him going after the Labor police chief (not emergency services chief)for going out for dinner for a few hours during the Victorian bushfires.

Maybe now he’s back from holidays he can step up, be a leader and co-ordinate a national strategy against the ever increasing bushfire seasons.
dr dre is online now  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 03:42
  #91 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 965
You know firefighting is a state responsibility, right?
currawong is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 04:59
  #92 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by currawong View Post
You know firefighting is a state responsibility, right?
Sure is. But our tribal politics being what it is you canít miss a chance to score points against the opposition.

The only contribution Morrison could make to the current fire situation is the occasional photo op. Blaming him (or Australia generally) for the fires or for climate change is of course ridiculous, but then itís all about point scoring, not reality.
JustinHeywood is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 05:01
  #93 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 822
Originally Posted by currawong View Post
You know firefighting is a state responsibility, right?
There comes a time when a these disasters become too big for the states to handle alone. The forecasts for future fire seasons would indicate a need for a national approach. These current fires have been going on in NSW for months and to fight fires of this scale with mostly volunteers canít be sustained in the long term. Maybe an organisation similar to the military reserves that can be dispatched to fight these large blazes, and integrated aircraft permanantly based here?
dr dre is online now  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 05:05
  #94 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 822
Originally Posted by Dark Knight View Post
Another HOT Summer!
A response to that pic here:

435 people died in an 1896 heatwave ó but scientists say the extreme heat events of today are still hotter

The Bureau of Meteorology noted in a 2017 report the 1896 data "cannot be easily compared with modern recordings".

"Detailed study has shown that extreme temperatures recorded at Bourke during the 1896 heatwave were likely suspect due to non-standard exposure, and likely around two degrees warmer than temperatures recorded with standard instrumentation."

Dr Perkins-Kirkpatrick said even taking into account flawed thermometer conditions, average temperatures in 1896 were still lower than last year's average
dr dre is online now  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 05:32
  #95 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Great South East, tired and retired
Posts: 2,889
The Australian castigated the BOM for falsely lowering the temp readings of the past, by saying that "things were measured differently then."

It would be nice to ask little Greta exactly what she would expect a government to to "right now", and how such an action would work. If a man-made change of 1 degree has taken a century to become apparent, then any action taken now will not be apparent in Greta's lifetime, if at all.
Ascend Charlie is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 06:00
  #96 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 965
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post


There comes a time when a these disasters become too big for the states to handle alone. The forecasts for future fire seasons would indicate a need for a national approach. These current fires have been going on in NSW for months and to fight fires of this scale with mostly volunteers canít be sustained in the long term. Maybe an organisation similar to the military reserves that can be dispatched to fight these large blazes, and integrated aircraft permanantly based here?
And he is going to fix all that in the next couple of days?

You have more faith in his abilities than I do.

There are firefighting aircraft based here year round. Marginalised somewhat by state governments awarding overseas companies contracts.

Thats right, all private sector companies that have to tender for the work.

Yes, these assets are shared between states when possible.

On the up side, it would be interesting to compare the areas that have burnt, with the areas that were meant to get hazard reduction burning over the last 25 years but did not.

currawong is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 06:07
  #97 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 965
Oh, and here is a climate scientist and researcher that has found the BOM not counting past record temps, that met the equipment criteria.

Because it was recorded on a Sunday.

Regardless of ones position on the debate, it is a bad look.

currawong is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 07:54
  #98 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The World
Posts: 822
Originally Posted by currawong View Post
Oh, and here is a climate scientist and researcher that has found the BOM not counting past record temps, that met the equipment criteria.

Because it was recorded on a Sunday.

Regardless of ones position on the debate, it is a bad look.
It's only a bad look if Sky News is your sole source of information.

The BoM has addressed accusations of data manipulation by types like Marohasy (who is a biologist, not a climate scientist) five years ago. The Bureau provides clear explanations for it's data homogenisation process. Yet fake experts like Marohasy still continue to push this debunked nonsense to their audience that all these climate scientists are in a conspiracy to lie to the public. Actual climate scientists have ridiculed her "research" as totally incorrect and lacking basic scientific facts.

And if she had any real evidence that the BoM had been manipulating records, then why is she only appearing on Sky News to talk about it? Shouldn't she be speaking to the BoM and every other scientific body in the country to tell them the "truth" about their supposedly flawed data?

Last edited by dr dre; 23rd Dec 2019 at 08:04.
dr dre is online now  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 08:26
  #99 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: Sydney
Posts: 75
Originally Posted by dr dre View Post
It's only a bad look if Sky News is your sole source of information.
What, you reckon you get the truth only from ABC/Fairfax?

Always amused that people can see bias in all other media, but no agenda in Ďtheirí sources, no sir.

I think our climate is an existential risk but
Iíve no hope that weíll ever take the required action. As weíre seeing with the claims that Morrison is somehow responsible for the bushfires, people are very happy to ignore the science if itís politically expedient. The Greens are as guilty as the rest - actually worse with their cynical hypocrisy.
JustinHeywood is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2019, 10:03
  #100 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Australia
Posts: 965
I think we can all agree any/ all media to be suspect.

On that basis maybe go to go to the source.

BOM, for example.

1/ " Data from 1910 and 1911 are not consistent with other sites in the region and are not used in ACORN-SAT." (heatwave year...)

2/ "There are some indications of anomalous cooling of maximum temperatures at XXXX from the 1960s through to the 1980s, most likely associated with the development of irrigated agriculture (especially cotton) in the region."
(if you say so. 1976 the irrigation started)

3/ "XXXX, which is currently at the swimming pool and ceased temperature measurements at the end of 2011" (hmmm, see above)

4/ "The pre-1917 site was a more exposed location on a hilltop and had lower maximum temperatures, especially in winter, than the current location" (so... don't use like #1?)

Nothing scientific about me picking holes in contradictory or dubious statements.

Maybe BOM could just have worded stuff better.
currawong is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.