Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel Mk III

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel Mk III

Old 26th May 2020, 18:59
  #3341 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brum
Posts: 694
Originally Posted by DON T View Post
VP since your ban you seem to have changed your views completely. Why? Are you the same VP?
Absolutely.
I pointed this out in an earlier post.
VP seems to have turned into a pitchfork-wielding dirty-mac gutter hack, salivating over every detail of Cummings deeds while conveniently ignoring others misdemeanours.
Like others here I always thought of VP as a moderating sensible figure on here.
Shame it looks like it's over...

Nige321 is online now  
Old 26th May 2020, 19:08
  #3342 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by Nige321 View Post
Absolutely.
I pointed this out in an earlier post.
VP seems to have turned into a pitchfork-wielding dirty-mac gutter hack, salivating over every detail of Cummings deeds while conveniently ignoring others misdemeanours.
Like others here I always thought of VP as a moderating sensible figure on here.
Shame it looks like it's over...
I refuse to be drawn into any sort of deflection tactic argument, as it's inherently self-defeating. Anyone and everyone that breached lockdown rules should be subjected to the same level of scrutiny. I've no doubt that several others have breached the rules as well, but that doesn't in any way diminish or dilute the scale of Cummings deeds. One reason for maintaining the focus on Cummings is that he is very clearly as important to government as the prime minister, perhaps more so in the eyes of some Conservative MPs. No one else has received even 10% of the support for their actions that Cummings has, and that itself is reason enough to subject him to close scrutiny.

Are any of the others who have allegedly breached lockdown rules had such a prominent role in shaping the future of this country as Cummings? Are any of the others so absolutely essential to the operation of their party that they garner the same level of support?

VP959 is online now  
Old 26th May 2020, 19:14
  #3343 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: UK
Posts: 356
Originally Posted by The Nip View Post

This sums up the mob mentality. Baying for blood and threatening violence. There are quite a few..
Yes there are.




wtsmg is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 19:18
  #3344 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Brum
Posts: 694
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
I refuse to be drawn into any sort of deflection tactic argument, as it's inherently self-defeating. Anyone and everyone that breached lockdown rules should be subjected to the same level of scrutiny. I've no doubt that several others have breached the rules as well, but that doesn't in any way diminish or dilute the scale of Cummings deeds. One reason for maintaining the focus on Cummings is that he is very clearly as important to government as the prime minister, perhaps more so in the eyes of some Conservative MPs. No one else has received even 10% of the support for their actions that Cummings has, and that itself is reason enough to subject him to close scrutiny.

Are any of the others who have allegedly breached lockdown rules had such a prominent role in shaping the future of this country as Cummings? Are any of the others so absolutely essential to the operation of their party that they garner the same level of support?
You say they should all have the SAME level of scrutiny, then suggest that Cummings should have some sort of priority.
Sorry, you can't have it both ways....

As others have said above, your tune has changed.
Maybe you need to grab a drink and go back and re-read some of your recent posts...

Nige321 is online now  
Old 26th May 2020, 19:42
  #3345 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 73
Posts: 796
As VP seems to have become something of a Daily Mirror Hack, perhpas he could comment on Blackfords travels...?
First, Nige321 Take some water with it. Whatever "it" is, I have no idea but the bile issuing from your keyboard seems extraordinary.
As for eh stupid question posed by you and quoted above; What do you actually know about parliament? If you knew anything at all, you would know that parliament is in what is known as "Whitsun Recess". And what generally happens during a recess? MPs go back to their constituencies. You know, like Robert Jenrick did some months ago. Or, more correctly, as Robert Jenrick claimed to have done. In fact, he went off to his 2nd home before nipping up to Shropshire to see Ma & Pa.
Ian Blackford just happens to be the MP for Ross, Skye and Lochaber.
And back to Mr Jenrick. The MP for Newark. No, not Newark Gloucester and not Newark Salop but Newark Notts. Nowhere near Gloucester or Shropshire.
But don't let the reality of the day spoil your bilefest. Carry on wasting acres of screen space with pointless copies of tweets!
KelvinD is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 19:44
  #3346 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
If other public figures are seen to have broken the lockdown rules, are they all to be supported by the Prime Minister and given an hour of national TV to defend themselves from Downing Street?

They're all to be treated equally, remember. None is to be given priority.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 19:45
  #3347 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Richard Burtonville, South Wales.
Posts: 1,875
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post

Are any of the others who have allegedly breached lockdown rules had such a prominent role in shaping the future of this country as Cummings? Are any of the others so absolutely essential to the operation of their party that they garner the same level of support?
Also, have any of the others been afforded the opportunity to address the nation to explain their thinking, only to have a representative 71% of the population (having listened to their address) disbelieve their reasoning? Did any of the others collude with others, getting them to lie in support of their reasoning? Jus' askin'.

CG
charliegolf is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 19:52
  #3348 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 73
Posts: 796
TheNip: Re Andy Dawson and that alleged tweet: "This account doesn't exist" says Twitter. Yes, I know the response. Nevertheless, he isn't/wasn't a Guardian reporter. He was freelance.
KelvinD is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 19:55
  #3349 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 5,053
If other public figures are seen to have broken the lockdown rules, are they all to be supported by the Prime Minister and given an hour of national TV to defend themselves from Downing Street?
Well, the defence came after the attack, so if others receive that level of press attention then, yes.

Surprised this one has escaped comment - don't think it's the first time? Perhaps VP can investigate.

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news...elyan-18312966
SWBKCB is online now  
Old 26th May 2020, 20:05
  #3350 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
Well, the defence came after the attack, so if others receive that level of press attention then, yes.
So we come full circle.
The press have made a big thing about Cummings and Johnson because they are running the country, at a time of national crisis. Therefore what they do is of great national interest.

The others who broke the rules are of minor significance and so have relatively little effect on the nation. If they did, they would be treated just the same. Of course those with an ounce of character chose to resign when their errors became public knowledge.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 20:06
  #3351 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: between the lines
Age: 40
Posts: 11
Originally Posted by DON T View Post
youve had no replies, I wonder why?
Because he is older than 12?

It doesn't matter what other MPs do, and it is not about VP. Does not change a thing about Cummings, how he hid it, or how the cabinet performs the Prawda. This is such a poor defence, it could even work - at least in kindergarden.

What about Cummings adventures - no reply, I wonder why?
KKN_ is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 20:07
  #3352 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Manchester, England
Age: 54
Posts: 840
Aren’t hardcore Brexiteers quick to panic when they think Nirvana may be at risk! Relax dears, much as I would like it to I really can’t see it stopping even without him, even if there was an extension to the transition period (though that’s pretty unlikely too).

Ironically the biggest threat to Brexit would be for Boris to lose his job, which although that too is unlikely, the current Cummings furore actually increases the chances a little, despite St Dominic being the High Priest of the whole project.
Curious Pax is online now  
Old 26th May 2020, 20:15
  #3353 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 378
Originally Posted by Nige321 View Post
You say they should all have the SAME level of scrutiny, then suggest that Cummings should have some sort of priority.
Sorry, you can't have it both ways....

As others have said above, your tune has changed.
Maybe you need to grab a drink and go back and re-read some of your recent posts...
Ask just one question: Of all those who may have breached the spirit of the lock down rules, who has the greatest influence within our government?

My tune has never changed. The thing that drives me, more than anything else, are determining fact, trying to discover truth and uncovering dishonesty. I've argued for this with members here from both the left and the right equally. Anyone who misrepresents facts should be open to scrutiny, no matter who they are. The greater the influence they have over our elected government, the more open and searching should be the process of scrutiny.
VP959 is online now  
Old 26th May 2020, 20:16
  #3354 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Wilts
Posts: 127
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
First, Nige321 Take some water with it. Whatever "it" is, I have no idea but the bile issuing from your keyboard seems extraordinary.
As for eh stupid question posed by you and quoted above; What do you actually know about parliament? If you knew anything at all, you would know that parliament is in what is known as "Whitsun Recess". And what generally happens during a recess? MPs go back to their constituencies. You know, like Robert Jenrick did some months ago. Or, more correctly, as Robert Jenrick claimed to have done. In fact, he went off to his 2nd home before nipping up to Shropshire to see Ma & Pa.
Ian Blackford just happens to be the MP for Ross, Skye and Lochaber.
And back to Mr Jenrick. The MP for Newark. No, not Newark Gloucester and not Newark Salop but Newark Notts. Nowhere near Gloucester or Shropshire.
But don't let the reality of the day spoil your bilefest. Carry on wasting acres of screen space with pointless copies of tweets!
Seems to me that the bile may be elsewhere. No matter about the ‘Whitsun Recess’ the country was still in lockdown for a number of days before Blackford travelled. So therefore we should accept that the ‘rules’ were interpreted differently by individuals. Blackford travelled 600 miles to an island that may or may not have had any infected cases but he took the risk. He says he self isolated which we have to take his word for, him being a politician.

You say he was in his constituency, fair enough. How did he liaise with the constituents after the self isolation? Did he meet them face to face and keep social distancing or did he do it by phone or video message? Marvellous this modern stuff. Mind I have seen him on a video link on TV but you couldn’t tell where he was speaking from.

Oh but he could do the same thing in London and still have face to face talks with the people he represents.

i pride myself in thinking about both sides of a discussion and I believe you are a Veteran and you should know better.

Don’t accuse others of bile when I can smell yours through my screen and have done for a while.
DON T is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 20:38
  #3355 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 378
If Blackford broke the rules with regard to travel to and from work (assuming that MPs were categorised as key workers) then he should certainly be sanctioned, just like anyone else making a non-justified journey. I believe that the house was still sitting, albeit with social distancing rules in place (the red Xs and green ticks behind the benches) until the Whitsun recess. Presumably this means that MPs were allowed to travel to the house from their constituencies. If Blackford's travels had nothing to do with his job, then he should be hung out to dry.

My MP has still been travelling to London to the house until the recess, not sure if he's been driving or taking the train, but either way he's been travelling around 100 miles to work. There have been a few dozen MPs in the chamber the few times I've looked at the parliament channel over the past few weeks, so I assume that others have travelled to and from their constituencies too. Not much different to the crews flying the various A/C that have been flying over our house for the past few weeks, or the person out doing aeros overhead this afternoon for half an hour. Presumably they are all allowed to travel to and from work as well, like the various delivery drivers travelling up and down the length of the country.

Cummings activities had nothing at all to do with work-related travel, though, so that justification (assuming it may apply to others) cannot apply to his case, any more than it can apply to the travels of Jenrick or Kinnock. The disturbing thing about all this controversy over breaching the spirit of the movement restrictions is that it has become very clear that Cummings is a far more important person to the government than his position would seem to indicate.
VP959 is online now  
Old 26th May 2020, 21:41
  #3356 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ilmington, Warwickshire
Posts: 132
https://www.businessdurham.co.uk/new...fight-covid-19


I was wondering if this was all coincidental and maybe a business arrangement had been come to - Barnard Castle and all that - but it looks like the Express got there before me!

Article published 23/4
BehindBlueEyes is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 22:02
  #3357 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Lincs
Posts: 2,229
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
Details in this earlier post, here, might be worth a read: UK Politics Hamsterwheel Mk III
Thanks, VP.
TEEEJ is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 22:15
  #3358 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 73
Posts: 796
Originally Posted by BehindBlueEyes View Post
https://www.businessdurham.co.uk/new...fight-covid-19


I was wondering if this was all coincidental and maybe a business arrangement had been come to - Barnard Castle and all that - but it looks like the Express got there before me!

Article published 23/4
The Express didn't beat me though! I posted exactly the same info yesterday or the day before..
KelvinD is offline  
Old 26th May 2020, 22:25
  #3359 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ilmington, Warwickshire
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
The Express didn't beat me though! I posted exactly the same info yesterday or the day before..
Doh! Sorry. And there I was thinking I’d unearthed something spectacular.
BehindBlueEyes is offline  
Old 27th May 2020, 00:06
  #3360 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: The Smaller Antipode
Age: 85
Posts: 42
A UK friend just sent me this ... Dominic Cummings, Demonic Scummings.
ExSp33db1rd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.