Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Greenland For Sale

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Greenland For Sale

Old 22nd Aug 2019, 06:29
  #61 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 66
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Are Danes so thin skinned that they get all wedgy when a guy like Trump, who they basically dislike anyway, says he's not going to come and visit?
I don't think so, has more to do with the Trump begging for an invitation. The Danes then had to spend money and resources on planning, which you might be aware is not to be taken lightly when the US pres and his Uber-posse hits the shores.
When the Trumpolini then goes all 5 years old and cancelles I can understand the Danes being a little grumpy.
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 06:31
  #62 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 66
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
So he went for sale and it is not for sale. Not the first time rebuffed when buying a property.

Next it will be for Long Term 200 year lease.

This was only first part in negotiations.
You call that negotiations? Not in my, maybe in Trump's book. And this from the "master negotiator".
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 08:03
  #63 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 76
Posts: 16,658
Originally Posted by NutLoose View Post
Can we part ex Northern Ireland, it will solve a lot of issues.
That would scupper the Tory party. Scotland OTOH . . .
Pontius Navigator is online now  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 08:06
  #64 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Ferrara
Posts: 1,366
I've always thought the UK Govt should settle 4 million HK residents in NI - solve a lot of problems and really kick start the UK economy.............
Asturias56 is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 08:35
  #65 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: 5Y
Posts: 428
Trivial and stupid though this spat is, Trump's behaviour is so blatantly incompetent and hypocritical that surely even his 'fans' can see that he is a national embarrassment.

I mean, really, he sells himself as an anti-politician who embraces political incorrectness and says it like it is. He thinks it's OK to abuse leaders all over the world and describe nations as shit-hole countries, but gets all coy and diplomatic when he gets a robust response from Denmark. In essence his complaint is that it wasn't a sufficiently polite and diplomatic message! And he claims to be the master of the deal! Any fool can see that he went about this deal in a way guaranteed to make it impossible.

Surely Americans can see that Trump is as mad as a box of frogs? And that he driving the USA away from every democratic country into the arms of dictators who are considerably smarter than he is.

Last edited by double_barrel; 23rd Aug 2019 at 04:54. Reason: Fix Freudian typo - ant->anti
double_barrel is online now  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 11:40
  #66 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,347
Originally Posted by pattern_is_full View Post
Yep. Plus the US currently gets most of those rare-earth metals from....China*. Who could shut off the supply at some point (and is also contracting to control the supplies from Africa, as well, as part of the Belt and Road initiative). Important materials for electronics, esp. computers and weapons systems.

So not automatically a bad idea - just better handled by discreet negotiations, rather than the Blowhard-In-Chief speaking out of his navel. El Trumpo may have scotched the deal just by being an arse.
____________________
*well, back in the pre-trade-war era, it seemed like a stable source, and a good idea.
It depends whether you have bought lots of property or not. Go in with outrageous idea that fully expect to be told no. It allows negotiations on something a hell of a lot less. You need someone to upset and anger, then diplomacy can smooth over and start proper discussions. Pretty standard playbook to be fair.
racedo is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 11:43
  #67 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,347
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
You call that negotiations? Not in my, maybe in Trump's book. And this from the "master negotiator".
Per
Phase 1, offer a price where other party is so insulted that they want to slap you.

If looking to buy a house i have always made an offer where other party accuses me of being totally unreasonable. Second statement will always be that i would NOT consider selling it for that means the negotiation round has just opened. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
racedo is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 11:50
  #68 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 66
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Phase 1, offer a price where other party is so insulted that they want to slap you.

If looking to buy a house i have always made an offer where other party accuses me of being totally unreasonable. Second statement will always be that i would NOT consider selling it for that means the negotiation round has just opened. Sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.
There is this difference between losing to someone you do not know, and losing trust with friends and allies because you behave like a/an ________. Fill in as appropriate.
If I gave an unreasonable offer to my customers, that would be the last I heard from them. Serious business do not like to waste time.
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 12:08
  #69 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: apogee
Age: 65
Posts: 59
Negotiating protocols and tactics are moot in this instance.
Currently, Greenland, (in case anyone missed it) is not for sale. Not for sale at any price.
meadowrun is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 12:18
  #70 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Bedford, UK
Age: 66
Posts: 1,231
Please tell me this proposal wasn't first broadcast as a tweet and that's the first Denmark got to know of it. However, irrespective, if I was a Greenlander (?) I would take his hand off and if Denmark got stroppy, or wanted a stupid price, cede.
Mind you, if you were already content to live there may be your perspective could be different I suppose.
​​​​​Perhaps he is being clever and the global warming models predict a new green age.......
Mr Optimistic is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 14:10
  #71 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,347
Originally Posted by Ancient Mariner View Post
There is this difference between losing to someone you do not know, and losing trust with friends and allies because you behave like a/an ________. Fill in as appropriate.
If I gave an unreasonable offer to my customers, that would be the last I heard from them. Serious business do not like to waste time.
Per
Nobody would trust US is it seemed all above board, there would be question. Going in cack handed with 2 feet in mouth is what is expected, they did it, now time to get down to discusssions.
racedo is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 14:13
  #72 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 6,347
Originally Posted by Mr Optimistic View Post
Please tell me this proposal wasn't first broadcast as a tweet and that's the first Denmark got to know of it. However, irrespective, if I was a Greenlander (?) I would take his hand off and if Denmark got stroppy, or wanted a stupid price, cede.
Mind you, if you were already content to live there may be your perspective could be different I suppose.
​​​​​Perhaps he is being clever and the global warming models predict a new green age.......
Living there and just making a living, million a piece and a condo in Florida where ever and it is still cheap.
racedo is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 14:46
  #73 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: Toronto
Posts: 2,243
There were a bunch of banquets and events scheduled. The Danes could ask Obama to substitute
RatherBeFlying is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 15:16
  #74 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: PBI
Posts: 214
Senator Tom Cotton says he brought it up with the Danish Ambassador to the US a few months ago. Cotton then suggested it to the WH.
OldCessna is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 16:08
  #75 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying View Post
There were a bunch of banquets and events scheduled. The Danes could ask Obama to substitute
1/2 of the US Americans would be delighted if they could replace Trump with Obama. And 3/4 of the world population too. And, funnily enough, it doesn't matter which Obama we are talking about...
ThorMos is online now  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 18:07
  #76 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 604
This Greenland idea is not as wacky as suggested here.

According to witless-pedia, there are just shy of 60,000 Greenlanders. 88% Inuit. The Danish taxpayers subsidize Greenland to the tune of over 600 million dollars annually. 10K for every single person there.

Aren't we in a time of self-determination? Has anyone asked those Inuit if they would rather be Yanks than Danes? Don't they get to choose? Or is Denmark still a colonial power, content to keep a colony of native people as a remnant of past glory?

Besides, when all that ice melts, the US will need a place to put all those flooded-out New Yorkers.
obgraham is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 18:25
  #77 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 238
Originally Posted by N707ZS View Post
Perhaps he saw Green land and fancied a golf course.
Hah hah. That got a good laugh out of me.
FakePilot is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 18:26
  #78 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 238
And if it was a State how would it vote? Greenland Compromise coming up!
FakePilot is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 18:41
  #79 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,517
Originally Posted by RatherBeFlying View Post
There were a bunch of banquets and events scheduled. The Danes could ask Obama to substitute

As long as he stayed there after the banquet. Throw in Hillary and Miley Cyrus to sweeten the offer.
West Coast is online now  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 19:05
  #80 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Not where I want to be
Age: 66
Posts: 242
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
This Greenland idea is not as wacky as suggested here.

According to witless-pedia, there are just shy of 60,000 Greenlanders. 88% Inuit. The Danish taxpayers subsidize Greenland to the tune of over 600 million dollars annually. 10K for every single person there.

Aren't we in a time of self-determination? Has anyone asked those Inuit if they would rather be Yanks than Danes? Don't they get to choose? Or is Denmark still a colonial power, content to keep a colony of native people as a remnant of past glory?

Besides, when all that ice melts, the US will need a place to put all those flooded-out New Yorkers.
Trump's request to buy would actually have to be answered by the Greenland government, not the Danish.
And for those wondering, there are already a golf course/s on Greenland. Trump's to late.
Per
Ancient Mariner is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.