Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

BREXIT

Old 1st Sep 2021, 07:04
  #11661 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 6,019
Originally Posted by wowzz View Post
Hmm - strangely that part was not mentioned by the BBC!
However, I imagine that the migrant labourers who would traditionally do this sort of casual work, are not that likely to be au fait with the bureaucracy involved around the visa application process.
You'd be surprised, and the agents they get the work through certainly will be...

'Casual' work gives the wrong impression - much of this work is highly skilled and has a far higher status in Eastern Europe.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 1st Sep 2021, 07:27
  #11662 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Darkest Lincs
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
You'd be surprised, and the agents they get the work through certainly will be...

'Casual' work gives the wrong impression - much of this work is highly skilled and has a far higher status in Eastern Europe.
Yes, "casual" work does have the wrong connotations. Perhaps I should have said "seasonal "
wowzz is online now  
Old 1st Sep 2021, 08:55
  #11663 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 61
Posts: 891
Originally Posted by SWBKCB View Post
You'd be surprised, and the agents they get the work through certainly will be...

'Casual' work gives the wrong impression - much of this work is highly skilled and has a far higher status in Eastern Europe.
SWBKCB
The agents may also not be here and it is skilled hard work. Also let us not forget that there are other areas of Europe where these skilled seasonal workers also work.

Cheers
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 12:36
  #11664 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 1,124
Being thick, am I correct in thinking figures that appear in red are not very good ?

Not that Brexit can be considered as being remotely responsible for such appearing Surely by now, after a few initial teething troubles and paperwork amendments, the UK should be basking in the sunny uplands of prosperity the electorate was promised would emerge.

Brexit: food and drink exports to EU suffer ‘disastrous’ decline | Food & drink industry | The Guardian
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 12:40
  #11665 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 484
Don’t be so hasty KnC. Give it 49 years and you will see how the UK forging alone in a highly complex and competitive world will have been the right decision.

Oh and when I say the UK, of course I mean England &. Wales, plus its strategic ally Scotland and the autonomous region of Northern Ireland. Nah wait, England & Wales.

Unless of course, the UK does the unthinkable and rejoins the EU. Which of course, we will. It just will be under some palatable umbrella and people will have learnt to tell the fonies to just shut up and stop yanking everyones’ chain.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 12:47
  #11666 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 269
From 28th September UK registered cars driving in the EU must show a UK sticker or number plate identifier instead of GB, the EU flag symbol is also not permitted.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-...-number-plates
k3k3 is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 14:26
  #11667 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,241
Originally Posted by k3k3 View Post
From 28th September UK registered cars driving in the EU must show a UK sticker or number plate identifier instead of GB, the EU flag symbol is also not permitted.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/driving-...-number-plates
Yet another niggling irritation of Brexit. Although in reality, judging from the number of UK vehicles that you see on European roads displaying neither GB sticker nor a Europlate generally I don't think most governments are that bothered.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 15:35
  #11668 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Glorious Devon
Posts: 347
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
Yet another niggling irritation of Brexit. Although in reality, judging from the number of UK vehicles that you see on European roads displaying neither GB sticker nor a Europlate generally I don't think most governments are that bothered.
Chance to clear out the French regional airports. Last time I was in Carcassonne, it was rife with British cars that were neither French or UK legal. Give it a month, anything still sitting there on a GB plate, sticker it with a warning then after an appropriate interval. into the recycling!
Ninthace is offline  
Old 2nd Sep 2021, 18:02
  #11669 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Sweden
Posts: 435
And just before we get any ranting on about the evil EU taking away the beloved GB sticker, or any other such anti-European nonsense, this is Boris's doing.

https://metro.co.uk/2021/07/05/anger...sion-14878397/

Avionker is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 06:45
  #11670 (permalink)  
Tabs please !
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Biffins Bridge
Posts: 726
Meanwhile another "despite Brexit" headline.

Financial services exports to Europe rise despite Brexit (world-news-monitor.com)
B Fraser is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 08:09
  #11671 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 70
Reading the piece referred to, the increase in financial services exports to the EU was 1.4% comparing Q1 2019 with Q1 2021. How much that proves tells us very little as there could have been quite a lot of growth during the last 3 quarters of 2019 before the s**t hit the fan twice (EU exit plus Covid). Maybe a classic case of Covid being a convenient cover for the Brexit s**tshow.
Economics101 is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 11:33
  #11672 (permalink)  
Tabs please !
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Biffins Bridge
Posts: 726
I agree that if you are paying tax in Ireland then it is a sh*tshow as you are now having to subsidise the great EU idea instead of being a net beneficiary.

Economics 101 indeed !

Ireland to pay over €3,200 to EU for every man, woman and child in the country over the next seven years - Independent.ie
B Fraser is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 12:36
  #11673 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,241
Originally Posted by B Fraser View Post
I agree that if you are paying tax in Ireland then it is a sh*tshow as you are now having to subsidise the great EU idea instead of being a net beneficiary.

Economics 101 indeed !

Ireland to pay over €3,200 to EU for every man, woman and child in the country over the next seven years - Independent.ie
That's about € 450 (in very round figures) per person per annum. Not exactly a kings ransom and a small price to avail the Irish public of all the benefits of living within the EU (free movement of people, and more importantly the employment prospects that stem from being at the heart of Europe) rather than piddling around like Billy No-Mates outside.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 12:51
  #11674 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Ireland
Posts: 70
Originally Posted by B Fraser View Post
I agree that if you are paying tax in Ireland then it is a sh*tshow as you are now having to subsidise the great EU idea instead of being a net beneficiary.

Economics 101 indeed !

Ireland to pay over €3,200 to EU for every man, woman and child in the country over the next seven years - Independent.ie
First, thanks to ARTnotts for pointing out the 5-year period over which the money is to be paid. But there is more: the number is just the gross contribution, with no mention of the receipts from the EU under various programmes (most notably agriculture). So the number has just about the same credibility as if it were written on the side of a big red bus.

What's more important to us is the collateral damage inflicted on Irish consumers and firms by the disruption to UK-Irish trade and also to EU-Irish transport networks. Don't think that this will be easily forgotten or forgiven.
Economics101 is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 13:05
  #11675 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 2,241
Originally Posted by Economics101 View Post
First, thanks to ARTnotts for pointing out the 5-year period over which the money is to be paid. But there is more: the number is just the gross contribution, with no mention of the receipts from the EU under various programmes (most notably agriculture). So the number has just about the same credibility as if it were written on the side of a big red bus.

What's more important to us is the collateral damage inflicted on Irish consumers and firms by the disruption to UK-Irish trade and also to EU-Irish transport networks. Don't think that this will be easily forgotten or forgiven.
It's actually 7 years, and if you read the Irish Independent article it appears as though that is the net contribution per citizen. Even then €450 per annum is roughly € 1.25 per day, for which you couldn't buy a half pint of Guinness or a MacDonalds burger. Looking at it from that perspective its bloody good value.
ATNotts is online now  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 13:34
  #11676 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2000
Location: UK
Posts: 1,464
It's actually 7 years, and if you read the Irish Independent article it appears as though that is the net contribution per citizen. Even then €450 per annum is roughly € 1.25 per day, for which you couldn't buy a half pint of Guinness or a MacDonalds burger. Looking at it from that perspective its bloody good value.

Anything which offers that restriction has to be good value !
Cornish Jack is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 13:46
  #11677 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 6,178
Originally Posted by Ninthace View Post
Chance to clear out the French regional airports. Last time I was in Carcassonne, it was rife with British cars that were neither French or UK legal. Give it a month, anything still sitting there on a GB plate, sticker it with a warning then after an appropriate interval. into the recycling!
Long time since I’ve used that airport but I can verify that..and FWIW similar has happened at some of the smaller the railway stations, which as you know often have free parking, unlike many airports..

There was a GB registered transit van in condition and with taxation status that used to sit undisturbed for months on end on one of our local station car parks. It got to the point somebody in officialdom marked the tyres with small spray paint lines, presumably so that they could see if it ever rolled…

After about a years stay it disappeared and all the locals thought it had finally been scrapped …then about three months later, in the autumn about two years back, it reappeared parked up in a car park adjacent to the next station down the line, still sporting the spray paint on the tyres….

Working theory is the owners had flown in from the UK for their annual long visit, picked up the van at the station, twinged the vehicle was becoming of interest so changed their choice of car park….
wiggy is online now  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 14:16
  #11678 (permalink)  
Tabs please !
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Biffins Bridge
Posts: 726
Originally Posted by ATNotts View Post
That's about € 450 (in very round figures) per person per annum. Not exactly a kings ransom and a small price to avail the Irish public of all the benefits of living within the EU (free movement of people, and more importantly the employment prospects that stem from being at the heart of Europe) rather than piddling around like Billy No-Mates outside.
That makes Ireland the second highest contributor per capita after Luxembourg so congratulations. Well done also for having access to a labour market with unemployment rates that average 7.1% or 7.8% depending on the source of the data. Many of the Irish diaspora seem to have stopped off for work in the UK on their way to France, Spain etc. and they are most welcome too.

B Fraser is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 16:54
  #11679 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 484
Originally Posted by B Fraser View Post
I agree that if you are paying tax in Ireland then it is a sh*tshow as you are now having to subsidise the great EU idea instead of being a net beneficiary.

Economics 101 indeed !

Ireland to pay over €3,200 to EU for every man, woman and child in the country over the next seven years - Independent.ie

Even if that 450 quid pa was real (which it isn’t; we are back to red bus BS here), the Irish could leave the EU only spend the savings on increased prices and additional costs (goods, labour). It is a complete red herring. Object to the EU; but do it on reasonable and believable grounds, not rehashing the propaganda we know to be false. The additional costs from leaving the EU are real - ask anyone who moves goods to and fro.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 3rd Sep 2021, 18:17
  #11680 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere flat
Posts: 135
That's about € 450 (in very round figures) per person per annum.
Not forgetting that not "every person" is employed and therefore earning, so those who are earning will have to foot the bill for them, children, unemployed etc.
goofer3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.