Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

BREXIT

Old 25th Mar 2019, 17:40
  #181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: se england
Posts: 1,107
While some quitters here make some good points about he Eus failings there is nothing to suggest our governments are any better. In any event those agrguements would have more credibility is used by people like Boris-but oh no he and the Borisgraph have huge headlines about Moses and Egypt and Let my people go, well the Pharoahs did let them go and the wandered around in the wilderness for 40 years and Moses died along with a lot of others.

Does n't the man think and some people reckon he should be PM -what do they want, the Eu to double the bill for leaving.
Of course all I want is for the people to speak again now they have had a chance to 'sober up' as it were , three years is a bloody long time in politics and things do change and all elections overturn or change the result of a previous democratic election, after one person one vote democracy is all about the chance to change your mind, except in seems in this case. Wonder why, too many ERG people shorting the UK economy or the Pound, taking foreign money and not delivering the goods,

And oh lets democratically change the PM after three years as she isn't as good a we thought she would be but people cannot have a vote three years later -hypercrisy (sic)
pax britanica is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2019, 18:52
  #182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 504
Originally Posted by LowNSlow View Post
Buster11 I think having the EU to blame for anything that wasn't liked by the British public has resulted in our politicians becoming the most incapable shower for generations.
The lack of honesty by every British Prime Minister since Harold Wilson about the intended ever closer political union first proposed by Jean Monnet and Arthur Salter in the 1920's has ended my trust in our so-called leaders which ahs been compounded by out current PM making a fiasco of the leave process.
The major lack of understanding by most people of how far the EU has intruded into our law and how, currently, British Law is legally subservient to EU Law. Your average Remain voter also has, in my experience, a very poor understanding of how the ECB can over-rule any European Central Bank and potentially demand funds from the 28 countries to cover the TARGET2 liabilities.

So to finally answer your question, no direct adverse impact apart from not being able to fly EASA aircraft on my old-school CAA licence but I do think the move of "competencies" to the EU from national establishments like the CAA reduces the country's overall abilities to manage itself.

Sallyanne that clip was excellent and shows that every Government needs a scapegoat and the EU was ours and apparently we were the Eu and the remaining 27's!
Very well put.
Harley Quinn is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2019, 19:40
  #183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: UK
Posts: 169
Originally Posted by Buster11 View Post
Could some of those who favour Brexit tell us exactly what aspects of Britain's EU membership have affected them personally in an adverse way.
Does not affect me personally but

Didn't they mess about with the Flight Time Limitations rules increasing the possibility of fatigue?
Mike6567 is online now  
Old 25th Mar 2019, 21:44
  #184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: England - Now
Age: 70
Posts: 40
Some mention has been made above about having 3 options on a second referendum. This would be even more divisive than the present situation. Yes that may seem impossible but it would. Have more than one option and you run the very strong risk of the winning selection having less than 50% of support. Perhaps less than 45%. Now I know that most MPs and many contributors to PPRuNe don't give a toss for a majority vote when it conflicts with their superior thinking. Can't have "The Tyranny of The Majority" can we?

To satisfy most people if there were 3 options they would probably say something along the lines of -

1. Just leave and take our chances
2. Ask the EU pretty please can we just forget the last 3 years
3. Accept the only withdrawal agreement on the table.

Options 2 and 3 above were not mine but suggestions by Anna Soubry on Channel 4 news last week. Of course option 1 was what the people voted for in the referendum so that was not in her options and would obviously not be considered for the ballot paper.

Not one Remainer nor a great number of Leavers want option 3 which was suggested by Soubry and so I have to think that only having these 2 options appear to be a form of Gerrymandering. The remain camp get to vote on exactly what they want. Some leavers may be happy with the present offer and vote for it but what about those who want to leave? They do not want to have what they consider a deal whereby we do not leave so how do they vote? Of course I forgot, I will paraphrase one contributor to this thread, only Morons who got us into this mess would vote for leave and an intelligent person's vote is worth more than theirs so they don't count!

So why not rerun it with options 1 and 2 - silly me, we have had that vote. We did t 3 years ago which is why it will never happen in case Remain loses. Lessons have been taken from Sturgeon who although always going on about IndeyRef 2 will not call it in case she loses again.

Mind you whatever options were on the ballot paper would they lie again about respecting the vote? Well no doubt they would immediately fall behind the result if it was to have our prime minister go to a railway carriage in a siding in some forest in Europe and having to sign a surrender document. Should option 1 win then MPs would probably not respect it , well in all likelihood not respect it at all, as on matters surrounding the EU there is a pattern of running the vote multiple times until the right answer is given then quickly wrapping things up.

If I was an EU leader and we went back cap in hand asking to cancel our leaving option there would be a price to pay. I would demand, quite rightly, that we pay back all the money they spent on this pointless exercise through no fault of the EU. Plus if not actually joining the Euro we would, to show how we intended to be good Europeans in the future, have to have the Bank of England support the Euro in it's next inevitable crisis. Might even have to, horror of horrors, drive on the right!
Headstone is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2019, 21:58
  #185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 15
From RTE today:
The economic and political uncertainty surrounding Brexit is a constant in our news cycle since the referendum in the UK in 2016 and there is little sign of the uncertainty dissipating. Estimates of Ireland's national level of Brexit trade-related risk exposure are in the region of 10% of GDP. Estimates of this magnitude are not surprising, given our trade and business links to the UK.

Irelandís small businesses particularly exposed to Brexit. In Ireland, over 90% of businesses are micro-businesses with less than 10 employees and almost eight percent are small businesses with between 10 and 49 employees.
Maybe it would be in their interest to convince the EU that 'cutting the UK some slack' in a form of easing off on the 'Backstop' might be very, very, very beneficial?


About how the EU has detrimentally affected us: the EU FTLs have most definitely been the biggest threat to airline safety in Britain. The old CAA FTLs were part of a gradual evolution of improvements, while the EU's FTLs were short-term a political 'fix'.
NoelEvans is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2019, 22:00
  #186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 66
Posts: 420
Perhaps any referendum should include provision for a further (binding this time) referendum in 3 years time, in case everyone has a further change of mind - which they probably will.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2019, 22:07
  #187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: England - Now
Age: 70
Posts: 40
Why should one in 3 years time be binding and the 2016 and any other one before 3 years time not be binding?
People may change their minds again in 6 years or 9 years or 50 years.
Headstone is offline  
Old 25th Mar 2019, 22:07
  #188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by NoelEvans View Post
From RTE today:


Maybe it would be in their interest to convince the EU that 'cutting the UK some slack' in a form of easing off on the 'Backstop' might be very, very, very beneficial?
Earlier you complained about the quality of debate. And here you are advocating in effect an open back door into the EU for anything from horse meat to terrorists, the kind of open border that no country in the world permits.
Sprogget is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 00:23
  #189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 66
Posts: 420
Originally Posted by Headstone View Post
Why should one in 3 years time be binding and the 2016 and any other one before 3 years time not be binding?
People may change their minds again in 6 years or 9 years or 50 years.
If the first one wasn't binding then the second one shouldn't be either.
By the time you get to the third one you should all have made up your minds and, hopefully, should have realised that referendums are supposed to be binding.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 03:46
  #190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Beyond the Blue Horizon
Age: 58
Posts: 660
In Singapore, and just caught the latest twist. It does seem to be making us the laughing stock of the political world, but we do need another referendum now that the ramifications of the actions (leave or stay) are becoming ever clearer to all. I do believe the blinkers are coming off on both sides, and due to that I would say to get some form of closure you need to have the "peoples vote " or what ever you want to call it. Business needs some comfort, and believe me WTO is not it from where my business is anyway. It would be a good idea to get this done quickly and get this resolved, to allow everyone to get on with their lives / work, and plan for the future if possible, because this is not going to end well for UK Plc at the moment. As for Boris Johnson and the Conservative party, it will be a very long time before this man ticks their particular box at an election, or funds anything to do with them.
Regards
Mr Mac
Mr Mac is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 08:18
  #191 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
Earlier you complained about the quality of debate. And here you are advocating in effect an open back door into the EU for anything from horse meat to terrorists, the kind of open border that no country in the world permits.
I am not advocating that, it appears that the Irish government are advocating it: [Irish] Government is not preparing for a hard border post-Brexit.

The "kind of open border that no country in the world permits", you say. Have you ever travelled in and out of Switzerland? Switzerland is outside the EU and outside the Customs Union, but is in the Schengen Area. I have walked unhindered across the Swiss/French border many times. Actually, the Irish are looking at exactly that border as a model for how a future Eire/Northern Ireland border could work: Irish authorities are seeing Switzerland as a model for our frontier with North. Just to recap what we would have after Britain leaves the EU: Britain will be outside the EU and the Customs Area, but is in the Common Travel Area (permitting the free movement of people between Eire and Britain), an almost identical position for the Eire/Britain land border as exists with Switzerland and all its EU neighbours. So exactly what you say "no country in the world permits" actually exists.

Now let's look at you other comment: "an open back door into the EU for anything from horse meat to terrorists". Horse meat from the UK into the EU? Have you ever been into any supermarkets in the EU? If you have you would have had a far, far better chance of buying horse meat that you would ever have had in the UK, unless it had been part of that illegal horse meat that had been brought in from the EU a while back. Terrorist using the UK as a back door to get anywhere? Where do you get that from? Mrs Merkel provided a far bigger back door for that one than any Northern Irish border could ever provide!

However, the problems facing the Republic of Ireland: ESRI warns disorderly Brexit could cost 80,000 Irish jobs. If ANY country needs Britain to leave with a deal, it is the Republic of Ireland (read that article to see all the scenarios discussed) and a disorderly no-deal would be a disaster to their economy. Maybe their government should be thinking about that rather than digging their heels in and saying 'the Backstop is non-negotiable'.The border can be dealt with, as Switzerland has shown; that level of economic 'hit' south of the border would be very, very, very difficult to deal with.

A one-line concession on the Backstop could get the 'Brexit deal' through the UK Parliament tomorrow and all the pain and worry will disappear. But that is for the Republic of Ireland's politicians to decide. If they stick to their 'principles' they will be trashing their country which would suffer from the effects of Brexit far, far more than any other country in Europe.
NoelEvans is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 09:01
  #192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 66
Posts: 453
NoelEvans:

The problem you have is that common sense and intelligence have long been lost within political circles, they are too busy trying to get one over on others, either individually or in small pockets of like minded individuals, for selfish reasons rather than for the good of the whole, it really is like watching a village idiot competition to find who is the most stupid.
Exrigger is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 10:13
  #193 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by NoelEvans View Post
I am not advocating that, it appears that the Irish government are advocating it: [Irish] Government is not preparing for a hard border post-Brexit.

The "kind of open border that no country in the world permits", you say. Have you ever travelled in and out of Switzerland? Switzerland is outside the EU and outside the Customs Union, but is in the Schengen Area. I have walked unhindered across the Swiss/French border many times. Actually, the Irish are looking at exactly that border as a model for how a future Eire/Northern Ireland border could work: Irish authorities are seeing Switzerland as a model for our frontier with North. Just to recap what we would have after Britain leaves the EU: Britain will be outside the EU and the Customs Area, but is in the Common Travel Area (permitting the free movement of people between Eire and Britain), an almost identical position for the Eire/Britain land border as exists with Switzerland and all its EU neighbours. So exactly what you say "no country in the world permits" actually exists.

Now let's look at you other comment: "an open back door into the EU for anything from horse meat to terrorists". Horse meat from the UK into the EU? Have you ever been into any supermarkets in the EU? If you have you would have had a far, far better chance of buying horse meat that you would ever have had in the UK, unless it had been part of that illegal horse meat that had been brought in from the EU a while back. Terrorist using the UK as a back door to get anywhere? Where do you get that from? Mrs Merkel provided a far bigger back door for that one than any Northern Irish border could ever provide!

However, the problems facing the Republic of Ireland: ESRI warns disorderly Brexit could cost 80,000 Irish jobs. If ANY country needs Britain to leave with a deal, it is the Republic of Ireland (read that article to see all the scenarios discussed) and a disorderly no-deal would be a disaster to their economy. Maybe their government should be thinking about that rather than digging their heels in and saying 'the Backstop is non-negotiable'.The border can be dealt with, as Switzerland has shown; that level of economic 'hit' south of the border would be very, very, very difficult to deal with.

A one-line concession on the Backstop could get the 'Brexit deal' through the UK Parliament tomorrow and all the pain and worry will disappear. But that is for the Republic of Ireland's politicians to decide. If they stick to their 'principles' they will be trashing their country which would suffer from the effects of Brexit far, far more than any other country in Europe.
With respect Noel, Schengen is easier to understand than to spell. Quite how you've managed not to is up there with the greatest hits of Brexiters. You may well be able to cross the Swiss border unhindered and yes I have done it many times, that's the point of Schengen. Now try doing it with a 44 ton artic loaded with 26 pallets of unicorns from a country OUTSIDE of the Schengen area & tell report back to us here with your experiences - here's a clue it won't be even close what you typed.

You have though, unwittingly, hit on the key problem, although not grasped it, sadly. It's a reliable measure of the psychological suspension of disbelief encountered here daily that a Brexiter and always a Brexiter will take a comment such as the Horse meat one, clearly & obviously intended to make a wider point and reduce it to a specific, irrelevant conclusion.

Me: You can't have an open border between EU territory & third countries because it leaves an open door for all sorts. (horse meat, terrorists etc.)
Brexiter: Pah, you know nothing, they eat loads of horse meat in Europe.

This kind of disingenuous nonsense is so tiring & we're back onto the quality of debate. But when I say disingenuous, I am possibly crediting you with at least a form of intelligence that It's possible you don't deserve and here's why. You overlook the point about an open border not once but twice by talking about terrorists imported into Germany by Merkel. This is a few things - a) wrong b) a sneer at possibly the greatest act of compassionate humanitarianism carried out by a western government this century to date c) extreme UKIPY bollocks d) missing the point by a mile which for your benefit is relaxing border controls into sovereign territory, thus creating a smuggler's paradise that no nation & certainly not the EU would permit.

I suspect therefore, you may not be sufficiently intelligent to meet your own criteria of raising the debate & whilst no doubt you will take this as arrogant remainer snark, unfortunately, you do keep on proving it in writing.

Onto the final point, Ireland. Again, you tread a well worn path, beloved of Brexiters that Ireland, an independent sovereign nation should bend over backward to accommodate the mess leave politicians created. An abdication of responsibility if ever I saw one but wholly usual amongst quitters. Now, let's turn that around & imagine Ireland voted out & were demanding the UK repeal of the four pillars of the EU (what you called 'their principles' in as arrogant a display of contempt as one could imagine) You would be screaming like a stuck pig that we were being dictated to by a pack of bog trotters & who do they think they are?

The arrogance of leavers shouldn't astound me by now, yet somehow, the same dreary arguments surface every day with minor variations to my amazement & there you are bemoaning the quality of debate when it's as plain as day you've decided to bypass reality once more in favour of a pack of hopeless tropes & people wonder why we're in this mess. SMH.
Sprogget is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 10:30
  #194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 66
Posts: 453
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
The arrogance of leavers shouldn't astound me by now, yet somehow, the same dreary arguments surface every day with minor variations to my amazement & there you are bemoaning the quality of debate when it's as plain as day you've decided to bypass reality once more in favour of a pack of hopeless tropes & people wonder why we're in this mess. SMH.
Reading posts of yours, and others from people of the same mind set, never astounds me with the level of arrogance and insults with little substance that never changes, but always considered as the only correct opinion on the subject, and that comment above applies even more so to you and a few others.
Exrigger is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 10:32
  #195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by Exrigger View Post
Reading posts of yours, and others from people of the same mind set, never astounds me with the level of arrogance and insults with little substance that never changes, but always considered as the only correct opinion on the subject, and that comment above applies even more so to you and a few others.
Again, this is noted but if you can only see this & not at least take on the issues then you're just another dude on an internet forum whining about etiquette while the building burns around you.
Sprogget is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 10:44
  #196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: se england
Posts: 1,107
Isnt the chaos in Parliament indicative of the fact that there is no coherent plan or proposal for brexit or after brexit. Its useless saying three years ago the country voted for one option when three years later almost everything that was said about leaving was exaggerated or plain untrue .

Si its either a general election or a second referendum , nothing else works, and how can you have a general election which in theory could vote every same m back into another stalemate when the re is only one issue on the table ie another referendum-where are quitters so terrified of the the idea I wonder , Nissan , Honda, City banks, shortages etc etc and as for the idea of taking back control -to give to Parliament in its present state
pax britanica is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 10:44
  #197 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 66
Posts: 453
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
Again, this is noted but if you can only see this & not at least take on the issues then you're just another dude on an internet forum whining about etiquette while the building burns around you.
Just because I took time out from the issues of life and living to pass an opinion on your posts does not make me 'just another dude on the internet forum whining about etiquette', also trying to debate sensibly with you and your ilk is a waste of time as you do not accept anyone's opinion that differs from yours, you do come across as tad immature, an opinion which could be supported by your chosen user name.

Exrigger is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 11:00
  #198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
With respect Noel, Schengen is easier to understand than to spell. Quite how you've managed not to is up there with the greatest hits of Brexiters. You may well be able to cross the Swiss border unhindered and yes I have done it many times, that's the point of Schengen. Now try doing it with a 44 ton artic loaded with 26 pallets of unicorns from a country OUTSIDE of the Schengen area & tell report back to us here with your experiences - here's a clue it won't be even close what you typed.

You have though, unwittingly, hit on the key problem, although not grasped it, sadly. It's a reliable measure of the psychological suspension of disbelief encountered here daily that a Brexiter and always a Brexiter will take a comment such as the Horse meat one, clearly & obviously intended to make a wider point and reduce it to a specific, irrelevant conclusion.

Me: You can't have an open border between EU territory & third countries because it leaves an open door for all sorts. (horse meat, terrorists etc.)
Brexiter: Pah, you know nothing, they eat loads of horse meat in Europe.

This kind of disingenuous nonsense is so tiring & we're back onto the quality of debate. But when I say disingenuous, I am possibly crediting you with at least a form of intelligence that It's possible you don't deserve and here's why. You overlook the point about an open border not once but twice by talking about terrorists imported into Germany by Merkel. This is a few things - a) wrong b) a sneer at possibly the greatest act of compassionate humanitarianism carried out by a western government this century to date c) extreme UKIPY bollocks d) missing the point by a mile which for your benefit is relaxing border controls into sovereign territory, thus creating a smuggler's paradise that no nation & certainly not the EU would permit.

I suspect therefore, you may not be sufficiently intelligent to meet your own criteria of raising the debate & whilst no doubt you will take this as arrogant remainer snark, unfortunately, you do keep on proving it in writing.

Onto the final point, Ireland. Again, you tread a well worn path, beloved of Brexiters that Ireland, an independent sovereign nation should bend over backward to accommodate the mess leave politicians created. An abdication of responsibility if ever I saw one but wholly usual amongst quitters. Now, let's turn that around & imagine Ireland voted out & were demanding the UK repeal of the four pillars of the EU (what you called 'their principles' in as arrogant a display of contempt as one could imagine) You would be screaming like a stuck pig that we were being dictated to by a pack of bog trotters & who do they think they are?

The arrogance of leavers shouldn't astound me by now, yet somehow, the same dreary arguments surface every day with minor variations to my amazement & there you are bemoaning the quality of debate when it's as plain as day you've decided to bypass reality once more in favour of a pack of hopeless tropes & people wonder why we're in this mess. SMH.
But specifically
... try doing it with a 44 ton artic loaded with 26 pallets of unicorns from a country OUTSIDE of the Schengen area ...
a. From which country OUTSIDE the Schengen Area can you cross the border into Switzerland?
b. What has Schengen got to do with "a 44 ton artic loaded with 26 pallets of unicorns"?

And if my comments were such a load of 'tosh', why are the Irish considering it? Irish authorities are seeing Switzerland as a model for our frontier with North

I don't want the Irish to give up any of their 'pillars'. The Irish have been insisting on the 'backstop'. Things going wrong will hurt them most. That 'Swiss model' that they are seeing as a model for their frontier with the North is a common-sense way of avoiding things going wrong. They can use that and keep all their pillars, the same way that France, Germany, Austria and Italy seem to manage to do. That will work well for everyone and that one-line concession from them could have this all Brexit 'problem' tidied up by the end of the week.

I am answering in calm, measured language and using some reasoning simply because I look forward to you showing yourself up with your next reply.
NoelEvans is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 11:43
  #199 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: No longer in Jurassic Park eating Toblerone....
Posts: 2,649
Lars Karlsson has consulted on borders all over the world and was asked by the EU to do a paper on the UK/Eire border.

His basic premise is that there is the technology available to have an infrastructure free border and the basic reason why there is infrastructure on the Swiss/EU or Sweden/Norway border is that the border pre-dates the technology and if they were built today they would not need the infrastructure that is there unless the politics dictated it.

Last edited by LowNSlow; 26th Mar 2019 at 11:58.
LowNSlow is offline  
Old 26th Mar 2019, 12:03
  #200 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 312
I suspect that those in Ireland - north and south - who can see a nice little earner from a new border, will be laughing at the thought of a possible technical 'solution'.
Sallyann1234 is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.