Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Childrenís Climate Protest.

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Childrenís Climate Protest.

Old 17th Feb 2019, 21:14
  #41 (permalink)  
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Derbyshire, England.
Posts: 4,039
I ask the question again - who is behind this so called "strike"?

These demonstrations weren't spontaneous. They were planned and coordinated. And I'm guessing it wasn't by schoolkids.
I don't think you need to look any further than the school teachers and their union for the adults who organised this demonstration.
parabellum is offline  
Old 17th Feb 2019, 22:14
  #42 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Oil Capital of Central Scotland
Age: 52
Posts: 416
Couldn't help but notice the 4/7 ratio of kids to adults on the one that was heavily reported yesterday on this side of Hadrian's wall.
Donkey497 is offline  
Old 17th Feb 2019, 23:30
  #43 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Oz
Posts: 220
In Australia we've had kids protesting too.
With the amount of groups promoting population growth wether they be government, financial, religious, whatever, then growth will continue and climate change will become more critical.
clark y is offline  
Old 17th Feb 2019, 23:32
  #44 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Southwater
Age: 69
Posts: 509
Originally Posted by BehindBlueEyes View Post



Very good point. You can see the swp.org on the BBC article photo.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47252595

So, have these children been duped into a political demonstration by adults, with their own agenda, and are the teachers who condoned or actively supported it, also culpable or stupidly naive?
In a word - yes
RedhillPhil is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 03:16
  #45 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: all over Europe
Age: 35
Posts: 86
I read a news snippet about a German school whose principal sanctioned the class skippers (protest not authorized) by no longer letting them get dropped off by car at the front entrance.

For me, its ok for kids to develop some sort of idea that the emperor might be naked. Problem is, in this case they might not be as rebellious as they like to think of themselves. There is a whole social strata of old farts applauding them, they are essentially in the same boat as climate professionals making this whole issue their well paid, free travel career. Much of what they chant sounds copy cat to me, not at all the words of children. What worries me the most is the emotional panic involved. And how they just stand there and order others to "do something about it". In 10 years time, if somebody promises them "to do something about X", will they vote for that person no matter what? What happened to judging for yourself, being a robust little punk refusing to get panicked by neurotic adults, and starting with yourself?

The emotionalizing and passivity tells me something is not right here.
Krautwald is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 04:31
  #46 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: QLD - where drivers are yet to realise that the left lane goes to their destination too.
Posts: 2,107
Climate change protest is all about getting someone else to do something about it. Then you can feel good about yourself and they can be the bad people who didn't, ergo it's not my fault, my conscience is clear.
Traffic_Is_Er_Was is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 09:18
  #47 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 5
There was an interesting programme on Radio 4 a year or so ago on how protests in the UK have never changed anything (remember the 'Occupy' protests that were going to change the world?). So these kids have been misguided into wasting their own valuable time for education.

The best put-down for any know-it-all teenagers is to point out to them that one day they will be as 'stupid' or 'ignorant' as their parents...
NoelEvans is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 09:40
  #48 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: The Fletcher Memorial Home
Age: 54
Posts: 302
Between bushfires, volcanoes, torrential rains and massive storms, I feel that humankind demanding we change what goes on in the climate is nothing short of supreme arrogance. Yes there are things we can change, such as the amount of plastic in the oceans, but everything we do has repercussions.

Cut back on coal generated electricity, well yes we can but then we need to cut back on the amount of electricity we use. Oh sorry, that means not having the air conditioning / central heating on so you can sit around in your comfortable house regardless of the weather outside. Invest in renewable energy you say, yes we can do that but it's only just becoming feasible to store electricity, on the whole we only generate what we are actually using at that moment in time so renewable sources like wind and solar are only really good when the wind blows and the sun shines, we still need baseline power generation to manage the load or we're back to the first answer - cut back on usage.

Yes there are these nice solar panels and batteries, but do you know how much polution is caused by mining lithium? And it's not very easy to find, so to feel green and renewable with your hybrid car and home battery system some other poor sod has to dig a big hole in the ground and refine the ore to provide you with the smugness.

And that's the problem. Everyone has answer about what we "should" be doing, but no-one understands the scale and impact of making the green utopia happen. And if some of the skeptics are correct, we are actually in a global ice age and mother earth will carry on getting hotter and colder regardless of what we do.


Ogre is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:05
  #49 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 920
Originally Posted by NoelEvans View Post
There was an interesting programme on Radio 4 a year or so ago on how protests in the UK have never changed anything (remember the 'Occupy' protests that were going to change the world?). So these kids have been misguided into wasting their own valuable time for education.

The best put-down for any know-it-all teenagers is to point out to them that one day they will be as 'stupid' or 'ignorant' as their parents...
I take it the little matter of Poll Tax and Thatcher didn't get a mention then ?

Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 10:15
  #50 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips View Post
I take it the little matter of Poll Tax and Thatcher didn't get a mention then ?
Funny old thing that was given quite a bit of consideration and it was not the street protests that caused the changes with the 'poll tax' (or Community Charge, as it was called when I paid it), it was the enforcement problems that caused it to be scrapped, whereas the property-based local tax was more enforceable as it is attached to an immovable property. The ugly street protests were actually quite irrelevant, but you won't be able to convince those who are believers in street protest that facts are facts.
NoelEvans is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 12:55
  #51 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Great Britain
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by NoelEvans View Post
Funny old thing that was given quite a bit of consideration and it was not the street protests that caused the changes with the 'poll tax' (or Community Charge, as it was called when I paid it), it was the enforcement problems that caused it to be scrapped, whereas the property-based local tax was more enforceable as it is attached to an immovable property. The ugly street protests were actually quite irrelevant, but you won't be able to convince those who are believers in street protest that facts are facts.
Don't you just love people who believe their opinion is fact and everyone else is wrong?
So what makes your statement a fact?, where you present in the meetings that made this change in Community Charge policy come about?, because if not your fact is quite possibly just as specious as those you disagree with.
Personaly I went to court over it and had the case against me for non-payment thrown out shortly before the turnaround...what did you do?
Hyperdark is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 14:12
  #52 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 920
Originally Posted by NoelEvans View Post
Funny old thing that was given quite a bit of consideration and it was not the street protests that caused the changes with the 'poll tax' (or Community Charge, as it was called when I paid it), it was the enforcement problems that caused it to be scrapped, whereas the property-based local tax was more enforceable as it is attached to an immovable property. The ugly street protests were actually quite irrelevant, but you won't be able to convince those who are believers in street protest that facts are facts.
Right.......... now, after all these years, I understand why the Poll tax riots were simply a day out and didn't have any influence on the decision to scrap the tax and replace it with the current Council tax.

Here's a few more examples of demonstrations that clearly also lacked the same influence on politicians as you suggest was the case above.

https://www.bbc.com/bitesize/guides/zpwp34j/revision/1
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 14:24
  #53 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: No longer in Jurassic Park eating Toblerone....
Posts: 2,652
Hyperdark, doesn't the fact that you went to Court and succeeded back up NoelEvans' assertion that it was lack of enforceability that killed off the Community Charge rather than the street protests?
LowNSlow is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 14:32
  #54 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: London
Posts: 1,593
I do hope the strike was during double maths.
Ancient Observer is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 14:54
  #55 (permalink)  

Gentleman Aviator
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Teetering Towers - somewhere in the Shires
Posts: 3,369
Are these the same schools that fine parents for taking "kids" out of school for termtime holidays.....?
teeteringhead is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 19:24
  #56 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,417
Originally Posted by NoelEvans View Post
There was an interesting programme on Radio 4 a year or so ago on how protests in the UK have never changed anything
Only if the programme makers were too young to remember the poll tax and didn't do any homework.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 21:47
  #57 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 367


[QUOTE]The ugly street protests were actually quite irrelevant, but you won't be able to convince those who are believers in street protest that facts are facts.[QUOTE]

Ah yes facts. Irrelevant indeed.

I learnt this whilst participating in the overwhelmingly peaceful London Poll Tax demonstration. There were thousands of people protesting peacefully. Yet it ended in a rampage. Why? I will offer you this account: The event which triggered the riots which followed was of police driving vans at speed at hundreds of terrified people in a game of chicken, braking only at the last moment. They were attempting to get through to Downing Street after an attempt on horse had failed. Within minutes they succeeded in turning thousands of people in Trafalger Square and the North end of Whitehall into an angry, frightened mob. Chaos followed.

This is not how these events are remembered. But then it isnít how these events were recounted or shown to have happened. None of the footage filmed by the remote ITN team was transmitted; the narrative of protestors going on the rampage without any mention of the role of the police was rapidly established on the radio and TV. The Western Mail chose not to publish freely offered images of the police vans driving at the crowds in Trafalgar Square. No objective reporting whatsoever.

And when you offer people a first hand account of such events, they will still only undertand it according to their world view.

Facts. Children of the prism of perception.
Torquetalk is offline  
Old 18th Feb 2019, 22:57
  #58 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Ilmington, Warwickshire
Posts: 70
[QUOTE=Torquetalk;10394158]


[QUOTE]The ugly street protests were actually quite irrelevant, but you won't be able to convince those who are believers in street protest that facts are facts.

Ah yes facts. Irrelevant indeed.

I learnt this whilst participating in the overwhelmingly peaceful London Poll Tax demonstration. There were thousands of people protesting peacefully. Yet it ended in a rampage. Why? I will offer you this account: The event which triggered the riots which followed was of police driving vans at speed at hundreds of terrified people in a game of chicken, braking only at the last moment. They were attempting to get through to Downing Street after an attempt on horse had failed. Within minutes they succeeded in turning thousands of people in Trafalger Square and the North end of Whitehall into an angry, frightened mob. Chaos followed.

This is not how these events are remembered. But then it isnít how these events were recounted or shown to have happened. None of the footage filmed by the remote ITN team was transmitted; the narrative of protestors going on the rampage without any mention of the role of the police was rapidly established on the radio and TV. The Western Mail chose not to publish freely offered images of the police vans driving at the crowds in Trafalgar Square. No objective reporting whatsoever.

And when you offer people a first hand account of such events, they will still only undertand it according to their world view.

Facts. Children of the prism of perception.
And letís not forget those appalling faked scenes of rioters smashing shop windows and stealing TVs and designer trainers etc.
BehindBlueEyes is offline  
Old 19th Feb 2019, 04:39
  #59 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: EU
Posts: 367
And let’s not forget those appalling faked scenes of rioters smashing shop windows and stealing TVs and designer trainers etc.

It sounds as though you are getting events mixed up there. But no doubt some people did take advantage. It was hardly the point being addressed though. The post was about the media not reporting events accurately and creating a false memory of them. You remember people stealing designer trainers and TVs, an event you probably didn‘t witness yourself, but take to be an incontravertible fact.


Torquetalk is offline  
Old 19th Feb 2019, 10:34
  #60 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Location: Yorkshire
Posts: 5
Originally Posted by Hyperdark View Post
...what did you do?
I paid. I am not a tax evader.
NoelEvans is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.