Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:10
  #1901 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,399
Originally Posted by andrewn View Post
And how many of us do? Approx 0.001% of the population? Any wide ranging regulation change will impact a subset of pen pushers! I' afraid I'm genuinely failing to see your point, once again.
Ah. If you think that "budget responsibility" has anything to do with being a "pen pusher" then I think I'd have to be right in guessing that you've never held any position of responsibility in any organisation ever, or met anyone else who has.
Gertrude the Wombat is online now  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:16
  #1902 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by andrewn View Post
Remain LOST by nearly 1.3M votes! It wasn't a "close run thing" by any account. It was a clear decisive loss for Remain. Why is that SO difficult for remainers to get their head around?
A 3,8% margin of a 70% turnout is the very definition of a country saying - not sure mate. I mean have you ever had a close encounter with reality & if so, on a scale of one to Buzz Lightyear, how much did you hate it?
Sprogget is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:21
  #1903 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cheshire
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
Setting aside that I haven't called you any names at all - a leaver trait to get personal at the drop of a hat, in lieu of persuasive argument q.v. The Nip et al.- you're free to express any opinion you wish. Yours though are expressions of blind optimism. That you keep repeating them adds no weight whatsoever. The rest of us working directly in industries at the sharp end of this are more persuaded by analysis, discussions with colleagues, customers & suppliers. Again, I invite you to provide me with solid, hard analysis supporting your view or am I to be treated to a fourth of fifth hearty assurance that it'll be alright, we won the war you know?
What solid, hard analysis? There is none, because it hasn't happened yet? You do know that not one single prediction of doom (if we voted Leave) has actually materialised? Carney should have been sacked for his gross miscalculation and predictions of recession, just like Osborne was.

Business has a remarkable habit of identifying opportunity from change. I see no reason why this time will be any different. It's a great time to be a visa consultant, as Wombat helpfully pointed out

Last edited by andrewn; 23rd Dec 2018 at 14:42.
andrewn is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:27
  #1904 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cheshire
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
A 3,8% margin of a 70% turnout is the very definition of a country saying - not sure mate. I mean have you ever had a close encounter with reality & if so, on a scale of one to Buzz Lightyear, how much did you hate it?
70% turnout, eh? Funny, Sallyann thinks there's another 29.4M (remain) votes to count!! Ho, ho, tis the season to be jolly and all that.
andrewn is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:34
  #1905 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by andrewn View Post
What solid, hard analysis? There is none, because it hasn't happened yet? You do know that not one single prediction of doom (if we voted Leave) has actually materialised? Carney should have been sacked for his gross miscalculation and predictions of recession, just like Osborne was.
Loving how you manage to contradict yourself in one sentence. Delicious. There's no analysis (wrong, see below) because we haven't left yet. Not one (unspecified) prediction has come true yet because also, we haven't left yet. Could you try a bit harder do you think, please?

Latest from the exciting world of insurance.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com...it-111271.aspx
Sprogget is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:40
  #1906 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Uk
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by Hussar 54 View Post
Will the UK stop its residents or citizens going to live and work in the EU ?

Simple yes or no....

Will the EU stop UK residents or citizens going to live and work in the EU ?

Let's wait and see....

But as I said - if they can't, then it'll be the EU which made that decision, not the UK.
I believe that the EUs position is that if we allow their citizens in to live and work, they will do the same.

Since it seems that we won't, they won't. We are the ones actively deciding to break up the club.
Snyggapa is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:48
  #1907 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cheshire
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
A 3,8% margin of a 70% turnout is the very definition of a country saying - not sure mate. I mean have you ever had a close encounter with reality & if so, on a scale of one to Buzz Lightyear, how much did you hate it?
LOL, that genuinely made me laugh I do know one thing, if Remain had won, we wouldn't be here having this discussion, it would simply have been a case of "we won, now get over it chaps, and lets just carry on as we were".

Not nice when things don't pan out as expected, is it?
andrewn is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:52
  #1908 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cheshire
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
Ah. If you think that "budget responsibility" has anything to do with being a "pen pusher" then I think I'd have to be right in guessing that you've never held any position of responsibility in any organisation ever, or met anyone else who has.
You do sound really important Gertrude, and I bet your job is really fulfilling. You know, the type of fulfilment you only get through being in a position of responsibility, and from knowing others in similar positions of responsibility and authority.

I admit it, I am in awe.
andrewn is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:53
  #1909 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,244
Ah, that’s why there won’t be any problems ...

Drugs companies told to sign NDAs..
wiggy is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 14:55
  #1910 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by andrewn View Post
LOL, that genuinely made me laugh I do know one thing, if Remain had won, we wouldn't be here having this discussion, it would simply have been a case of "we won, now get over it chaps, and lets just carry on as we were".

Not nice when things don't pan out as expected, is it?
The list of things you claim to know definitively is a sight to behold. Found your no deal we win report yet?
Sprogget is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 15:00
  #1911 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Hyeres, France
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Snyggapa View Post
I believe that the EUs position is that if we allow their citizens in to live and work, they will do the same.

Since it seems that we won't, they won't. We are the ones actively deciding to break up the club cartel.

Yep....

The UK does this or that, so the EU must reciprocate, despite the fact that the EU and all its sheep insist that migration is socially and economically of hugest benefit to everyone.

What is it the British say ? Cutting off your nose to hurt your face ?
Hussar 54 is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 15:39
  #1912 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cheshire
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
The list of things you claim to know definitively is a sight to behold. Found your no deal we win report yet?
The EU has to tread very carefully on the no deal topic, as we all know it's not the UK that has most to lose in the event of a no deal

No deal planning

The time for EU bluff and bluster is rapidly running out - they need to cut a deal that works for ALL sides (i.e. not just their own). We aren't some low ranking EU also-ran, and we cant just be batted off like they did to Cyprus, or even Greece.
andrewn is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 15:46
  #1913 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cheshire
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
Loving how you manage to contradict yourself in one sentence. Delicious. There's no analysis (wrong, see below) because we haven't left yet. Not one (unspecified) prediction has come true yet because also, we haven't left yet. Could you try a bit harder do you think, please?

Latest from the exciting world of insurance.

https://www.insurancebusinessmag.com...it-111271.aspx
Sorry, in what way am I contradicting myself? I said nobody knows what will happen post Brexit, which is true as it hasn't happened yet!! I evidenced that statement by highlighting the now proven lies that Osborne and Carney told about us going into recession and having to have emergency budgets in the event of a Leave victory.

Next...

Last edited by andrewn; 23rd Dec 2018 at 17:37.
andrewn is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 15:50
  #1914 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by andrewn View Post
as we all know it's not the UK that has most to lose in the event of a no deal

.
What?!! You're gong to have to expand on that, Nigel. Top trolling though, really high level stuff.
Sprogget is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 16:02
  #1915 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Hyeres, France
Posts: 1
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
Every single last one of the Gammony UKIP check boxes, lined up one after the other. It's the gin fumes wafting over with the breezy dismissal of freedom of travel rights & the correlation is causation of Southern European states that have been basket cases for centuries that tickles in particular. Are you Gerard Batten moonlighting for kicks?!


Just curious....

But exactly who decides what is racially offensive and what isn't ??

Presumably ' gammony ' isn't considered offensive despite the fact that it refers to the colour of one's skin.

Or is it just an alternative form of abuse instead of the usual nastiness from EU apologists ?
Hussar 54 is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 16:09
  #1916 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: cheshire
Posts: 184
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
What?!! You're gong to have to expand on that, Nigel. Top trolling though, really high level stuff.
Did you study Geography at school Sprogy? In case you didn't know, the UK isn't the only island nation in the EU, and one of the others is called Ireland. And much of Ireland's trade with its EU friends uses HGVs and they have to pass through another little Island (called the UK) on their road-borne way to and fro. The UK is about to leave the EU and that could cause a LOT of problems for the island of Ireland. A no deal Brexit really isn't advantageous for anyone, but if we need to force the issue to win a few concessions then I see no harm in taking it to the wire (from the UKs point of view anyway).

Another linky...
andrewn is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 16:11
  #1917 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: God's Country
Posts: 106
Originally Posted by Hussar 54 View Post
Just curious....

But exactly who decides what is racially offensive and what isn't ??

Presumably ' gammony ' isn't considered offensive despite the fact that it refers to the colour of one's skin.

Or is it just an alternative form of abuse instead of the usual nastiness from EU apologists ?
You will notice that in post #1899 he does state that he doesn't do name calling!.
But be careful, you might get a lecture!
The Nip is online now  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 16:20
  #1918 (permalink)  
Está servira para distraerle.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In a perambulator.
Posts: 7,048
I hesitate before saying this but it wasn't the exit men who called the remainers a bunch of cheese eating frogalikes, It was, as one remembers from the Guardian, the Independent and in these pages that one first came across the concept, now almost accepted dogma, that those who didn't like the EU were a gang of uneducated bumpkin type individuals who probably shouldn't be allowed to vote anyway.
Sensible reflection leads to the conclusion that had as many of those who voted to leave been members of UKIP as has been claimed, Nigel would be PM; that eventuality would probably have been a very good thing!
cavortingcheetah is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 16:20
  #1919 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by andrewn View Post
Did you study Geography at school Sprogy? In case you didn't know, the UK isn't the only island nation in the EU, and one of the others is called Ireland. And much of Ireland's trade with its EU friends uses HGVs and they have to pass through another little Island (called the UK) on their road-borne way to and fro. The UK is about to leave the EU and that could cause a LOT of problems for the island of Ireland. A no deal Brexit really isn't advantageous for anyone, but if we need to force the issue to win a few concessions then I see no harm in taking it to the wire (from the UKs point of view anyway).

Another linky...
And there it is, the moral bankruptcy of the Brexiter. Let's starve the Irish to get our way on the shambles we set in motion. If you deployed your mega galactic brain for even half a minute it would be apparent what a repugnant position you're advocating.

And if YOU had studied geography, you might have thought about the border in Northern Ireland before pursuing your undeliverable right wing multibungle but you didn't & now we're all in the mire.
Sprogget is offline  
Old 23rd Dec 2018, 16:26
  #1920 (permalink)  
Está servira para distraerle.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In a perambulator.
Posts: 7,048
I used to fly for an airline that ran a schedule into Belfast. Thankful were we that we also ran one out of it.
The Irish are the oldest enemies of the English north of France and south of Scotland. Excise them, begone with them. They all have a free entry ticket to the USA anyway.
This post, by the way, is not abusive or anti Irish. It just states some absolute facts.
cavortingcheetah is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.