Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Old 17th Dec 2018, 10:23
  #1541 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,639
Originally Posted by Effluent Man View Post
Sunday Times speculating that the govt may recompense tour operators for loss of business. It's the timing of Brexit that poses the problem. The holiday booking season starts now ish and it is clear that those thinking of holidays are going to reconsider in large numbers, especially the Easter break.

Now I think that this is outrageous. Where does it stop? Should we compensate everyone involved in exporting to the EU who stands to lose profits? My own view is that to a greater or lesser extent we all are going to lose from this and to compensate one particular group is just plain wrong. Perhaps they will compensate me, I go to France about six times a year so maybe the 30% I am losing on the exchange rate will be claim able.
Won't be long before someone points out that UK exporters will gain / have gained handsomely from the fall in sterling - notwithstanding the fact the many of their raw materials are imported of course.

Anyway, if HMG were daft enough to go down the road if compensation for tour operators, where would it end? Should they compensate the supermarkets for the higher import costs they will incur, perhaps they should refund car dealers the 10% duty on EU manufactured vehicles would incur in the event of a WTO based Brexit? Thinking about it why don't they just nationalise the the UK arm of TUI (British Holidays perhaps?) or buy out Bristol Street Motors? Hope I haven't given any ideas to "Comrade Corbyn"!!
ATNotts is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 11:30
  #1542 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 920
Given that in the very near future many will be consuming the home produced version, and this has been mentioned "once or twice " before, here's a succulent little taste of the possible future....

Makes becoming a vegetarian a sensible option really

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...houses-exposed
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 11:42
  #1543 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: England
Posts: 247
Originally Posted by Sprogget View Post
Is what that is. Must be great being retired & not having to take this seriously. Until you need a Doctor of course. Then it won't be such a laugh.
Yes. Because it is so easy to see a GP now.
Buster15 is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 11:51
  #1544 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Hanging off the end of a thread
Posts: 15,962
Seen this?

https://petition.parliament.uk/petit...JN5jN9E9XltyjQ


https://petitionmap.unboxedconsultin...etition=229963
NutLoose is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 12:01
  #1545 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 317
Yes. It seems that between 0.05% and 0.52% of people, depending on area, want a hard brexit.
Democracy in action!
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 16:55
  #1546 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 72
Posts: 688
Oh! Jeremy Corbyn has just given notice he will be moving a motion of no confidence in the PM later today.
KelvinD is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 16:59
  #1547 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 67
Posts: 58
Amazed at how uninformed some members are. Crispin Blunt I think it ws argued that leaving without a deal would absolve us from the 39 billion weigh-out. May countered that we were liable even in that scenario.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 17:04
  #1548 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Germany
Posts: 4
Originally Posted by G0ULI View Post
It is a sad fact that no one under the age of 60 can remember life outside of the EEC/EU. Everyone younger than that is arguing the case for or against Brexit in a complete absence of knowledge of what life was actually like outside the EEC/EU.
<snip>
I think it's a sad fact that Brexiteers can't seem to remember in what state the UK was before it joined the EU. It had to be saved the IMF and inflation was up to over 25%.
ThorMos is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 18:05
  #1549 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,426
Originally Posted by Effluent Man View Post
Sunday Times speculating that the govt may recompense tour operators for loss of business.
No, the government won't, because "the government" doesn't have any money - we would.

This, if true, is a government scam to get us all to pay for our holidays even though we can't, because of government action, actually take them.

I wonder how many Tories have interests in tour operators?
Gertrude the Wombat is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 18:09
  #1550 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Northampton
Posts: 511
Its also a sad fact that Europe had to be saved by the UK and others.
rogerg is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 18:43
  #1551 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 49
Posts: 783
Its also a sad fact that Europe had to be saved by the UK and others.
Indeed... we also "saved" the US at the same time by boosting their ailing economy before they went under... as well as the Commonwealth being overrun by natives. Now we are reduced to a third rate nation with a begging bowl and a nice line in spin.
flash8 is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 18:56
  #1552 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chez Sprog
Posts: 493
Originally Posted by rogerg View Post
Its also a sad fact that Europe had to be saved by the UK and others.
Two world wars, one world cup. Any wonder this country is in such a mess, half the population are stuck in the bloody 1940's.
Sprogget is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 18:57
  #1553 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by ThorMos View Post
I think it's a sad fact that Brexiteers can't seem to remember in what state the UK was before it joined the EU. It had to be saved the IMF and inflation was up to over 25%.

Do you mean the EEC? Which we joined in 1973, the IMF bailout was 3 years later in 1976.

According to this site inflation in the UK in 1976 was slightly below 25% - but I take your point.

https://www.inflation.eu/inflation-r...tain-1976.aspx
yellowtriumph is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 19:03
  #1554 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by Effluent Man View Post
Amazed at how uninformed some members are. Crispin Blunt I think it ws argued that leaving without a deal would absolve us from the 39 billion weigh-out. May countered that we were liable even in that scenario.
I'm afraid I can't easily cite a source, but my understanding is that in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit the figure that would be due to the EU is quite a deal less than 39Bn - It think it is in the lower 20Bn's - still a lot of money of course!
yellowtriumph is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 19:20
  #1555 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,426
Originally Posted by yellowtriumph View Post
I'm afraid I can't easily cite a source, but my understanding is that in the event of a 'no deal' Brexit the figure that would be due to the EU is quite a deal less than 39Bn
More likely it'll be 39bn plus a couple of decades' interest and lawyers' fees plus a large joining fee (to make up for pissing them around) when we re-join.
Gertrude the Wombat is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 19:32
  #1556 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,005
Legally we owe the EU nothing; morally we owe them for items for things such as ongoing pension contributions; arguably there are areas where, having agreed to fund programmes in the past, ongoing contributions are only justified by ongoing participation; interntionally we need to be seen as honourable, but not gullible.

Everything else is negotiation.
ORAC is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 19:35
  #1557 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 291
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
More likely it'll be 39bn plus a couple of decades' interest and lawyers' fees plus a large joining fee (to make up for pissing them around) when we re-join.
I see you've accepted we are leaving.
yellowtriumph is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 19:49
  #1558 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 49
Posts: 783
A once great country trashed at the altar of Tory internal politics. I note Boris is quiet of late, either "on manoeuvres" (with countless others) or realizing much has gone pear shaped.
flash8 is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 19:59
  #1559 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,426
Originally Posted by yellowtriumph View Post
I see you've accepted we are leaving.
There is actually an upside, although I admit it'll take a while to materialize - when we re-join we'll gain Schengen and the Euro, which the government can avoid if we just #RevokeA15 now.
Gertrude the Wombat is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2018, 20:20
  #1560 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,005
I note JC has put forward a vote of no confidence in the Prime Minister.

This is a tactical ploy to relieve the pressure upon him to propose a vote of no confidence in the government. A vote against TM herself is merely a motion of censure and has no effect except embarrassment, and after the last two weeks is hardly more than a drop of water off a duck’s back.

As such I don’t even expect the government to insist upon a whip of any kind, in that if it passes JC can now ignore all efforts to arrange even a vote against the government until late January.

You’d almost think he was hoping that nothing would happen to stop Brexit just happening at the end of March...
ORAC is online now  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.