Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK Politics Hamsterwheel MkII

Old 4th Feb 2019, 19:30
  #4041 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 67
Posts: 454
Originally Posted by virginblue View Post
...or maybe Brexiteers difficulty to think multi-dimensionally? There is also an additional cohort of teenagers who are allowed to vote for the first time each year and who, generally, are much more likely to be Remainers than the members of denture brigade who are dying. So it is not only Brexiteers dying in larger numbers than Remainers, but also more Remainers coming on board the electorate than Brexiteers.
That is so amusing, I nearly spilled my coffee, mute point anyway as there won't be a second referendum to prove that premise to be a correct one.
Exrigger is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 19:39
  #4042 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Moot. It's a moot point. A mute point is probably what you wish I'd do. What is it with the Brexiters around here & spelling? You get all prickly over the idea metropolitan elite ponces are swanning about the place suggesting you're a bit shy in the education department & then spell like five year olds.

We want are cuntry back etc. etc.
Parapunter is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 19:39
  #4043 (permalink)  
Resident insomniac
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: N54 58 34 W02 01 21
Age: 75
Posts: 1,859
Models produced at Nissan Motor Manufacturing UK
Current models
Nissan Qashqai (2006 – 2020)
Nissan Juke (2010 – 2020)
Nissan Leaf (2012 – 2020)
Infiniti Q30 (2015 – 2020)
Infiniti QX30 (2016 - 2020)
G-CPTN is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 19:45
  #4044 (permalink)  
EstŠ servira para distraerle.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In a perambulator.
Posts: 0
Itís not Nissan that is shoving off. Theyíre just not going to make that little diesel SUV in Britain. Is that so amazing when the Brits are determined that all will be electrified within but a handful of years. Diesel is not liked in Dieselland any more.
Of course Brexit is costing the country, but that is because of an utterly buffoonish parliament and an archaic parliamentary process. This has been well aided by the democracy deniers who in turn were aided by the cunning lying of the Brexit bus, which actually was designed only to delude those of lesser mentalities but obviously succeeding foxing all of Remain..
But you canít put all the investment scenario blame on Brexit. The thought of a Marxist goverment anywhere is unnerving to men of money minded to invest in troubled places. Brexit is a short term problem that a megacorp could write off over a lunceon at Wiltonís. Two terms of John Mc Donnell with Seamus Milne bringing up the rear is well perceived by business as being the greatest danger facing Britain since the fall of the wester Roman Empire.
cavortingcheetah is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 19:46
  #4045 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,416
Originally Posted by virginblue View Post
teenagers who ... generally, are much more likely to be Remainers than the members of denture brigade who are dying
The #brexhitters have spotted this and set up a UK branch of some US fascist student organisation to rally the young fascists of the UK.

But they aren't very good at it. About 98% of the Twitter accounts for this organisation which popped up yesterday were clearly fakes. In some towns there were several such accounts purporting to represent the fascist students in that town's university each claiming to be the real one and that all the others were fakes.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 19:49
  #4046 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by cavortingcheetah View Post
It’s not Nissan that is shoving off.
I am aware of that. I picked them to illustrate a hypothetical point, which you have unfortunately failed to grasp prior to launching into a poorly timed diatribe about how other people aren't that quick out of the blocks. Oops!
Parapunter is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 20:05
  #4047 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 67
Posts: 454
Originally Posted by Parapunter View Post
No man is an island, Unless he's a Brexit voter, in which case he's all kinds of isolated from the neck up.

Or to put it another way, if Nissan, to take an apposite example, were to shove off in their entirety, how many job losses do you think that would incur? The 7k who work in the plant? Stick or twist?
Playing the man not the ball, something you don't appear to be a fan of from previous comments of yours, or is it acceptable for the remain side to throw them about, but not the exit side. Your argument/response seems to be centred around one company in isolation (Nissan) and tried to imply that it was an unusual thing for large businesses within the UK to go out of business, or downsize, and yet there are millions of large and small businesses that are not leaving.

However if you still want to hang your argument on that small hook, then you would probably gain more traction if you left out the insults, as they really don't add credence to any debate.

Just noticed the correction to my post, the remain side do not have a good track record of spelling and grammar either as has been highlighted numerous times, those in glass houses should not throw stones. I suppose yours would be a typing error, where as mine is obviously a failed education.
Exrigger is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 20:15
  #4048 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by Exrigger View Post
Playing the man not the ball, something you don't appear to be a fan of from previous comments of yours, or is it acceptable for the remain side to throw them about, but not the exit side. Your argument/response seems to be centred around one company in isolation (Nissan) and tried to imply that it was an unusual thing for large businesses within the UK to go out of business, or downsize, and yet there are millions of large and small businesses that are not leaving.

However if you still want to hang your argument on that small hook, then you would probably gain more traction if you left out the insults, as they really don't add credence to any debate.

Just noticed the correction to my post, the remain side do not have a good track record of spelling and grammar either as has been highlighted numerous times, those in glass houses should not throw stones.
You'll agree there's a difference between skewering hlaf baked notions & calling for people's death, calling them scum, no?

And answer the question in your own time. You know full well, it's not about Nissan per se, as I imagine equally you see the folly of the original argument. We are connected, whether you like it or not. Nissan builds a car elsewhere, tough luck for the tier one suppliers, their investment prospects, hiring plans, bottom line. Yet you argue at worst 1% of large businesses in isolation will go, leaving barely a mark.

You haven't thought this through.
Parapunter is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 20:24
  #4049 (permalink)  
EstŠ servira para distraerle.
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: In a perambulator.
Posts: 0
Which I wrote might pass for a diatribe in sunny Sussex where the sunflowers bloom but in England’s language, a diatribe is a forceful and bitter verbal attack. What I wrote was perhaps a humourous monologue, cleverly cloaked in facts unpalatable to certain factions none of which had any connection with tongue lashings laced in Angostura bitters.
cavortingcheetah is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 20:27
  #4050 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,416
Originally Posted by Exrigger View Post
Playing the man not the ball
Depends on the game, doesn't it - whilst I gather it's slightly frowned on in foot-the-ball this a perfectly normal tactic in rugby.

It's even acceptable with a racist motivation it seems - when my lad was the only white playing in a game (Jamaican national league) cries of "get the whitey" were heard whenever he got near the ball.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 20:28
  #4051 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 67
Posts: 454
Originally Posted by Parapunter View Post
You'll agree there's a difference between skewering hlaf baked notions & calling for people's death, calling them scum, no?

And answer the question in your own time. You know full well, it's not about Nissan per se, as I imagine equally you see the folly of the original argument. We are connected, whether you like it or not. Nissan builds a car elsewhere, tough luck for the tier one suppliers, their investment prospects, hiring plans, bottom line. Yet you argue at worst 1% of large businesses in isolation will go, leaving barely a mark.

You haven't thought this through.
I see what you did there, although I have searched for hlaf and in old English is a loaf, or bread, as for skewering half baked notions, your opinion, could this not be done without insults, no?

You are correct, it is not about Nissan per se, but I responded to your picking up Nissan as if that is the only one that makes the point, and their whole UK business employs approximately: [COLOR=left=#333333]9,000 people are employed by Nissan in the UK, with 1,000 at its European technical centre in Bedfordshire and almost 200 at its design base in London, plus 27,000 positions in the supply chain, so I am aware of the impact should Nissan close down the whole of their UK business, but is that what they are actually doing?[/COLOR]
Exrigger is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 20:34
  #4052 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 2,219
So it's going to get so bad there are plans to evacuate the Queen and royal family when the Brexit riots break out ? Chaos and disorder in Eutopia ? That can't be. We don't even have people storming the White House here in the Colonies. Well, recently anyway. You were the last mob who did that :

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/02/03/w...vacuation.html
bafanguy is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 20:43
  #4053 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 290
Originally Posted by Parapunter View Post
I'm endlessly talented. You should have seen my wife's face this weekend as we played charades & I managed to pull off one man & his dog in under two minutes.
i hope you didn't do that in public company.
yellowtriumph is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 20:47
  #4054 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 290
I'm curious about some of these predicted voting patterns - people dying off, replacement young voters etc.

I can understand the argument that new young people might tend to vote 'remain', and I can understand older voters dying who were likely to have voted 'Leave'. But what about middle aged voters? Would it not be at reasonable to assume that as yesterdays young voters transition through middle age towards old age they might equally transition from being remain to leave voters? Do the predictions take this into account, I'm sure they must?
yellowtriumph is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 21:00
  #4055 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 67
Posts: 58
I'm not sure that is the case. My brother and his wife, born 1942 and 1944 respectively have this weird take on Europe. Despite having holidayed in a France for many years they seem to have adopted this " We won the war" attitude. This seems to be very common with their age group, I can only assume that it was their upbringing in an age where Britain had lost an empire but not found a role. It's an unpleasant, jingoistic form of tubthumping that is out of character with their personalities. It has me wondering about the state of their marbles.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 21:08
  #4056 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 290
Originally Posted by Effluent Man View Post
I'm not sure that is the case. My brother and his wife, born 1942 and 1944 respectively have this weird take on Europe. Despite having holidayed in a France for many years they seem to have adopted this " We won the war" attitude. This seems to be very common with their age group, I can only assume that it was their upbringing in an age where Britain had lost an empire but not found a role. It's an unpleasant, jingoistic form of tubthumping that is out of character with their personalities. It has me wondering about the state of their marbles.
I would not regard people born in the 1940's to be middle aged (?). I'm thinking of people, very very roughly who would be 45-55 now, but perhaps I am old fashioned (born in the 1950's) and out of touch. I take it you are saying in your experience that people born in the immediate aftermath of WW2 tend to take the attitudes you describe but not people born in the 60/70's?
yellowtriumph is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 21:14
  #4057 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 315
There is not going to be a second referendum, so why the endless speculation about majorities and age groups?
​​​​​​We'll be leaving the EU without a deal in a few weeks, and that isn't going to change.

And regardless of any attempt to downplay the situation, there is a steady flow of business moving out of the country with no inward movement to compensate. We are getting what was voted for - not what was promised. Enjoy!
Sallyann1234 is online now  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 21:16
  #4058 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: Sunny Sussex
Posts: 778
Originally Posted by yellowtriumph View Post
i hope you didn't do that in public company.
I'm communing with the late Jeremy Hardy & one of those old ISIHAC Lionel Blair stitch ups that featured weekly for years sprang to mind. I'm merely glad it didn't go unnoticed.
Parapunter is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 21:22
  #4059 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 290
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
There is not going to be a second referendum, so why the endless speculation about majorities and age groups?
​​​​​​We'll be leaving the EU without a deal in a few weeks, and that isn't going to change.

And regardless of any attempt to downplay the situation, there is a steady flow of business moving out of the country with no inward movement to compensate. We are getting what was voted for - not what was promised. Enjoy!
Because others are interested even if you aren't?
yellowtriumph is offline  
Old 4th Feb 2019, 21:26
  #4060 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Here
Posts: 290
Originally Posted by Parapunter View Post
I'm communing with the late Jeremy Hardy & one of those old ISIHAC Lionel Blair stitch ups that featured weekly for years sprang to mind. I'm merely glad it didn't go unnoticed.
As I'm sure you know I believe the joke is anchored in football lore, as in:
Manager to player: If you don't play any better in the first half I'm going to pull you off at half time:
Player to manager: Really, at my last club they just gave us some slices of orange.

Enjoy your programme.
yellowtriumph is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.