Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

On the eve of war

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

On the eve of war

Old 7th Mar 2019, 20:16
  #981 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 5,337
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
And you wonder why some of us don;t trust Govt or big business
I don't wonder at all, indeed, I have a deep cynicism regarding all of them. I wasn't born yesterday.
What I don't delve into is conspiracy theories.
There is a difference between "verify and check for what is being hidden/read between the lines" and "if a government person spoke it, it can only be false."
You seem to have lost the ability to see the distinction.

The Tw1tter and Farcebook founders were out to make money out of the unregulated spaces on the interweb.
They did. They tried to become "indispensible" the way that toilet paper makers and gasoline sellers have become.
But nothing stays in a stasis, change keeps on changing. The back lash against, for example, FB in Europe is a predictable consequence of people finally understanding their basic business model.
If you are getting something for free (hot mail, gmail, etc), check the fine print.
You (and your data) are the commodity.
Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2019, 21:24
  #982 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 72
Posts: 677
Lonewolf:
(reminds me of the chemical spray about 20-25 years ago the Feds sprayed on dope fields? Forget the name of it)
Was that perhaps Paraquat? If so, it was quite a bit more than 25 years ago.
KelvinD is offline  
Old 7th Mar 2019, 22:39
  #983 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 67
Posts: 491
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 View Post
..........After alcohol was outlawed in 1919, they took the further step of having government chemists add toxic chemicals to "industrial alcohol" so that it would sicken people who tried to drink it. .........
This was and is the source of the "meth" in methylated spirits (de-natured alcohol).
It's not something they did, it's something they do.
WingNut60 is online now  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 09:39
  #984 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,803
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 View Post
I don't wonder at all, indeed, I have a deep cynicism regarding all of them. I wasn't born yesterday.
What I don't delve into is conspiracy theories.
There is a difference between "verify and check for what is being hidden/read between the lines" and "if a government person spoke it, it can only be false."
You seem to have lost the ability to see the distinction.

The Tw1tter and Farcebook founders were out to make money out of the unregulated spaces on the interweb.
They did. They tried to become "indispensible" the way that toilet paper makers and gasoline sellers have become.
But nothing stays in a stasis, change keeps on changing. The back lash against, for example, FB in Europe is a predictable consequence of people finally understanding their basic business model.
If you are getting something for free (hot mail, gmail, etc), check the fine print.
You (and your data) are the commodity.
Iam more into the General F Up theories and people see an opportunity for a grab to give them some power because nobody said no. Then the bandwagoners jump on board who really understand the exploitation.
racedo is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 13:36
  #985 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 5,337
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
Lonewolf:
Was that perhaps Paraquat? If so, it was quite a bit more than 25 years ago.
Yeah, that stuff. Now that I check the calendar, right you are. During the War on Drugs phase, which was well under way when 30 years ago our ship embarked a law enforcement det to chase druggies ... man, I am gettin' old.
Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 13:38
  #986 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 5,337
Originally Posted by WingNut60 View Post
This was and is the source of the "meth" in methylated spirits (de-natured alcohol).
It's not something they did, it's something they do.
Fair enough. IIRC We have a thread on JB about the dangers of distilling one's own stuff ... so it is quite possible that some of the reported dead people during that time were those who drank "bathtub gin" or moonshine that was just shoddily produced.

Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 13:48
  #987 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,803
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 View Post
Yeah, that stuff. Now that I check the calendar, right you are. During the War on Drugs phase, which was well under way when 30 years ago our ship embarked a law enforcement det to chase druggies ... man, I am gettin' old.
War on drugs is just a good old fashioned Capitalism war on Supply and Demand. Nations don't like someone else is making the money and they cannot control it.

Sometimes I am of the view that people can try and use what they like, never used and not interested. BUT if people hurt anybody / become ill as a result of their personal action, its Jail for injury and you are on your own if ill.
racedo is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 14:17
  #988 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 5,337
Racedo, the "war on drugs" was a somewhat complicated socio/political reaction (or overreaction) to the use of recreational drugs that blossomed in the 60's and 70's. Your take is too reductionist to have any value. It was also, from my military perspective at the time, a bloody great waste of money, time, and effort.

Back to "on the eve of war" I see a report that somewhat fits with the OP of this thread, if the information is credible.
As reported here, someone thinks that there was an Israeli pilot on board a Indian Air Force aircraft recently shot down in Kashmir. I am not sure what to believe, and will be giving this a 48 hours and check back response ... because if that is true, then the weird have surely turned pro in March of 2019.
(Reference to Hunter S Thompson "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" joke)
Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 15:34
  #989 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,803
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 View Post
Racedo, the "war on drugs" was a somewhat complicated socio/political reaction (or overreaction) to the use of recreational drugs that blossomed in the 60's and 70's. Your take is too reductionist to have any value. It was also, from my military perspective at the time, a bloody great waste of money, time, and effort.
I said "sometimes" but a good educated guess is that many many political campaigns have been supported by various cartels over the years. Banning gives viewpoint of shortage so increased prices at retail end. If there was full transparency US voter might be shocked about how many well known companies are owned or partially owned by drug money.

Back to "on the eve of war" I see a report that somewhat fits with the OP of this thread, if the information is credible.
As reported here, someone thinks that there was an Israeli pilot on board a Indian Air Force aircraft recently shot down in Kashmir. I am not sure what to believe, and will be giving this a 48 hours and check back response ... because if that is true, then the weird have surely turned pro in March of 2019.
(Reference to Hunter S Thompson "when the going gets weird, the weird turn pro" joke)
Would not be a surprise as IAF pilots were flying for Islamic Republic of Iran during stages of war against Iraq plus on occasions and this is not counting reactor bombing. Also opportunity to gain lots of training hours with quid pro quos elsewhere especially in event an Islamic nuke has to be addressed.
racedo is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 17:06
  #990 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 5,337
Originally Posted by racedo View Post
Would not be a surprise as IAF pilots were flying for Islamic Republic of Iran during stages of war against Iraq plus on occasions and this is not counting reactor bombing. Also opportunity to gain lots of training hours with quid pro quos elsewhere especially in event an Islamic nuke has to be addressed.
Hmm, given Khomeni's anti Israel rhetoric, not sure he'd have allowed that as, for him, the political stain if that were found out might be too much. But I'm playing counterfactual here, so who knows?
Iran backed the Hezbollah in Lebanon in the early 80's: Iranian money and other assistance helped nurture that faction.
So all told, I'll bet the under but can't rule it out since politics is strange business.
Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 17:22
  #991 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 49
Posts: 781
Would not be a surprise as IAF pilots were flying for Islamic Republic of Iran during stages of war against Iraq
Interesting, however assuming they were using IAF aircraft, even though mostly modern, they are running the risk of being downed in enemy territory, with the resulting a/c being displayed as evidence that would have huge ramifications in the region.
flash8 is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 19:28
  #992 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,803
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 View Post
Hmm, given Khomeni's anti Israel rhetoric, not sure he'd have allowed that as, for him, the political stain if that were found out might be too much. But I'm playing counterfactual here, so who knows?
Iran backed the Hezbollah in Lebanon in the early 80's: Iranian money and other assistance helped nurture that faction.
So all told, I'll bet the under but can't rule it out since politics is strange business.
Well bearing in mind Israel was happily selling Iranians whatever weapons they liked in the predlude to Iran-Contra it doesn't appear that Khomeni was that bothered. The "official figures" are that Israel sold $500 million worth of arms and spares, likely it was well above that and Israeli advisers were in Iran all during the war.

One does wonder whether the Israeli - Iran issue is bluster and the real is in keeping a watch elsewhere.
racedo is offline  
Old 8th Mar 2019, 19:30
  #993 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Darkest Surrey
Posts: 5,803
Originally Posted by flash8 View Post
Interesting, however assuming they were using IAF aircraft, even though mostly modern, they are running the risk of being downed in enemy territory, with the resulting a/c being displayed as evidence that would have huge ramifications in the region.
They were F4's which both IAF and IRAF had, so aside from an expert with access to serial numbers how does one tell whom it was sold to ?
racedo is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 06:37
  #994 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: UK
Posts: 674
Stan Woolley is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 18:47
  #995 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hotel Sheets, Downtown Plunketville
Age: 72
Posts: 686
With our media ever fixated on Brexit, we seem to be fed little fodder on the situation in the Middle East. We are sitting on the fence on Syria and contemplating a different title for Assad and his Regime. One that would not give offence to our cousins across the pond and still remain on friendly terms with Israel. In the meantime the tension between the US and Iran escalate, with Trump practising a few notes on his war drum. The Turks having cut a deal with the Russians, the Chinese flogging their G5 and flexing not just their military muscles but also their economic prowess, the supremacy of the US is becoming under threat.
Syria and Vietnam were the last recent setting for a demonstration of influence by the great powers of our times. It would appear, China prevailed in the former and Russia in the latter. When will there be another demo. Economic superiority must surely require some form of military power also, demonstrable from time to time, lest anybody decides to rise above their station.
Any way what`s happened about Turmps`s wall and when can we expect another one around Iran. The Chinese are also expert wall builders, maybe they will put one up for the Iranians in exchange for a few barrels of oil.
Chronus is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 22:04
  #996 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 60
Posts: 5,337
Chronus, you might want to expand your reading material, if you read at all.

It's The Times.

(But who knows what's being done behind the smoke screen of noise and rhetoric?)
Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 18th May 2019, 06:13
  #997 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Moscow region
Age: 60
Posts: 508
Originally Posted by Stan Woolley View Post
There are regular reports with facts (names, locations, sometimes TV-footage) concerning preparations of Al-Qaeda groups and their "white helmets" "brothers" to use chemweaps in the Idlib region of Syria, still controlled by jihadists. Barrels of chlorine imported from Europe (with labels), primitive labs to make explosives, staged footage with "dying" children and women - all this every now and then is revealed by the locals and intelligence (Turkish, Russian).
Recently it was reported that jihadists started collecting debris and remainders of Russian bombs and shells to put everything together if the operation against them starts. And to "demonstrate" that forbidden weapons are used there. No doubt, the western media and politicians are ready to buy all this and also wait for the right moment to start the next round of cry.
A_Van is offline  
Old 18th May 2019, 19:14
  #998 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hotel Sheets, Downtown Plunketville
Age: 72
Posts: 686
Originally Posted by Lonewolf_50 View Post
Chronus, you might want to expand your reading material, if you read at all.

It's The Times.

(But who knows what's being done behind the smoke screen of noise and rhetoric?)
Thank you for the link, I read it albeit with some reluctance. The difficulties I have with reading is mainly over what and who to believe and what and who not to believe. Politicians I have great difficulty with. Journalists, they seem to have become spin doctors. I find the most reliable source is a crowd. See and hear them chanting, raving, shouting and burning flags and effigies, then go and do a bit of omphaloskepsis, Here is where what that looks like may be found;https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omphaloskepsis

So having done my bit of omphaloskepsis, I then turn and ask these other fellows who have been doing it also, what they have come up with. They all come up with the same answer, them lot don`t seem to like us much and they are spoiling for a fight.




Chronus is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2019, 08:27
  #999 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 9,919
ORAC is offline  
Old 13th Jun 2019, 09:40
  #1000 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Elsewhere
Posts: 235
One of them has sunk.
k3k3 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.