Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Scammers

Old 2nd May 2019, 08:50
  #181 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Essex
Posts: 94
BBC Watchdog last night highlighted a scam where you receive a text message saying something along the lines of “Thank you for subscribing to.....
£4.50p will be taken from your mobile phone account each week”
The tv programme implied that it must have been something to do with clicking on a link in an ad or linked to a automatic payment system like Paypal
I cannot remember the actual payment system
Anyway, I had this happen to me and it was charged to my Vodafone pay as you go credit account. No contract and I had never clicked on any links to the product. The only info the scammers had was my mobile number which could have been obtained from anywhere.
Vodaphone has refunded me the sums deducted and said, at my request, that they would block any further outgoings from my credit account other than texts or or phone calls.
Be aware of this one!
Meldrew is offline  
Old 2nd May 2019, 09:04
  #182 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Meldrew View Post
BBC Watchdog last night highlighted a scam where you receive a text message saying something along the lines of “Thank you for subscribing to.....
£4.50p will be taken from your mobile phone account each week”
The tv programme implied that it must have been something to do with clicking on a link in an ad or linked to a automatic payment system like Paypal
I cannot remember the actual payment system
Anyway, I had this happen to me and it was charged to my Vodafone pay as you go credit account. No contract and I had never clicked on any links to the product. The only info the scammers had was my mobile number which could have been obtained from anywhere.
Vodaphone has refunded me the sums deducted and said, at my request, that they would block any further outgoings from my credit account other than texts or or phone calls.
Be aware of this one!
Thanks. Worth lookjng out for.
I would guess that they didnt 'obtain' your phone number. Their computer probably sends out millions of those texts to 07xxx xxxxx01, and 02 and 03 etc etc etc. SOME of them will reach 'real' numbers, the others will just fail. They dont care.
sixchannel is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 17:51
  #183 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 528
Not sure if I was scammed today or not! SOFTWILLINFOTECH. My computer suddenly froze this morning and a 'Microsoft warning' told me to phone the number 03088789925 to analyze my computer. This I did and was connected with a presumably Indian female, who said she was in Austria and we spoke for 72 minutes whilst examing the contents of my computer. Various adjustments and deletions were made and I was online again. I had a choice of a one time payment or a year's subscription for maintenance. I chose the cheaper option and have since cancelled my credit card. The 'technician' was extremely polite and professional and certainly was computer knowledgeable. She said it would take about an hour to correct the machine and she would call back to check with me. This she did and the computer appears to be behaving. I am now busy changing passwords. From the background noises of the phone, this was an extremely busy organization. I have additional phone numbers for ongoing help if needed and the operatives appeared professional at all times. I think this may be a new and sophisticated upgrade in the scammers arsenal. Watch out for that name!
Newforest2 is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 18:22
  #184 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 2
Originally Posted by Newforest2 View Post
Not sure if I was scammed today or not! SOFTWILLINFOTECH. My computer suddenly froze this morning and a 'Microsoft warning' told me to phone the number 03088789925 to analyze my computer. This I did and was connected with a presumably Indian female, who said she was in Austria and we spoke for 72 minutes whilst examing the contents of my computer. Various adjustments and deletions were made and I was online again. I had a choice of a one time payment or a year's subscription for maintenance. I chose the cheaper option and have since cancelled my credit card. The 'technician' was extremely polite and professional and certainly was computer knowledgeable. She said it would take about an hour to correct the machine and she would call back to check with me. This she did and the computer appears to be behaving. I am now busy changing passwords. From the background noises of the phone, this was an extremely busy organization. I have additional phone numbers for ongoing help if needed and the operatives appeared professional at all times. I think this may be a new and sophisticated upgrade in the scammers arsenal. Watch out for that name!
Yes, you were.
030 is Germany - Berlin, if prefixed by 0049. Looks like a computer generated fake number.
Whatever you were doing, you or your anti-virus let in a malicious bit of software that took control of your computer and even, so kindly, gave you a number to ring.
Microsoft do not charge and NEVER are available on the other end of a phone to 'analyze' your computer.
Make SURE your CC and your passwords everywhere have not been compromised.
Google www.scamners.info. Plenty of bad news about them there.

Last edited by sixchannel; 13th May 2019 at 18:40.
sixchannel is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 18:56
  #185 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Darkest Lincs
Posts: 467
The moment some cold caller asks for money, you should know it is a scam!
wowzz is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 19:14
  #186 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: Wolverhampton
Posts: 2
The question you MUST ask yourself is HOW did they take control of your computer in the first place?
sixchannel is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 20:35
  #187 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,435
Originally Posted by Newforest2 View Post
I think this may be a new and sophisticated upgrade in the scammers arsenal.
Been going on for years, if not decades.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 13th May 2019, 23:36
  #188 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Balikpapan, INDONESIA
Age: 67
Posts: 535
Had a lovely young lady, ostensibly representing a well known charity, knock on my door last week.

After her initial blah, blah and me replying that I do not normally give to paid beggars but I'll make this one exception, I told her I would need to get my wallet.
To which she replied "Collecting cash is not safe for me (her) and not safe for you (Me. But I don't know why) so please just enter your card details into my i-Pad ..................

That's as far as she got.

I have no idea whether that is now considered to be a legitimate method of collecting donations, but it is certainly not something that I will ever be doing.
Saved me a few bucks anyway.

A more obvious window for scammers I can not imagine.
WingNut60 is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 06:00
  #189 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Germany
Posts: 528
Thanks SIX CHANNEL , further research confirms all your comments and I do wonder how the fake message appeared on my computer. Probably a lot more will be happening with the current Whatsapp fiasco. Embarrassing that I regularly follow this thread!
Newforest2 is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 06:09
  #190 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Norwich
Age: 75
Posts: 83
Check out this guy

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBN...AprVcZZ3ic84vw
Jackw106 is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 06:58
  #191 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,680
Originally Posted by Newforest2 View Post
Probably a lot more will be happening with the current Whatsapp fiasco.
What fiasco?
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 07:09
  #192 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Reading, UK
Posts: 11,588
Originally Posted by Pontius Navigator View Post
What fiasco?
WhatsApp urges users to act after confirming cyber surveillance attack
DaveReidUK is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 19:04
  #193 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,680
Dave, thank you, picked that up on the news later. I checked, found mine had auto updated 2 days ago.
Pontius Navigator is offline  
Old 14th May 2019, 21:21
  #194 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 402
Mine too thankfully.
Alsacienne is offline  
Old 17th May 2019, 09:26
  #195 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,780
I interacted from a low life from an Indian callcentre yesterday, as usual claiming to be from TalkTalk, and advising me my router had been compromised.

Interesting was how the conversation developed. He asked which devices I accessed the internet on through my TalkTalk router, I told him I-Phone and I-Pad, at which point he said that in that case they'd have to send around an engineer to sort the problem out (I assume that Apple products aren't so easy to hack through the usual methods - I don't know as I actually use Windows!). I asked him to confirm my address, which he duly did, then I asked that, so I'd know the person wasn't scamming me, whether it would be a TalkTalk engineer - to which he replied "yes". At this point I reminded him that TalkTalk don't have field engineers, and that they use Openreach and he terminated the call, wishing me, very politely a good day.

Perhaps I should have asked him to get the engineers to make an appointment and wait to see who turned up. I am guessing that they do have people in the UK who may make bogus visits in an attempt to compromise machines, but I wasn't that brave.
ATNotts is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 08:53
  #196 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 72
Posts: 1,561
One polite, one very, very rude!

Yesterday, just as I was in the middle of meal preparation, the phone rang. It was the Microsoft Help Center again, this time "John" calling from "London." Last time it was New York, the time before that "San Francisco City," and before that Redmond, Washington State. It is odd that they all had the same accent from someplace East of Suez .... (One call even had a hum of background voices all working the same scam. Someone needs to invest in some sound insulation for their "boiler room.")

So, I asked "John" what part of London he worked in, and why I needed help from Microsoft for my Apple computer. What followed was a bit involved and hard to follow, when I told him that I was busy right then so that I would like it if he were to hang up and never call me again. He asked what would be a good time to call back, when I told him that "'Never' is good for me," and hung up.

The latest one, just this morning, was slightly different. Same accent, but calling from "Munich" about the same problem with my computer. I asked him for his street address, which he did not want to furnish me, asking me what I wanted to do with it. I told him that just going by his accent I feared that he was a scammer from the Indian sub-continent, not from Munich at all, so that I wanted the street address of his business in Munich, just to check.

He told me that he was indeed in Munich, so why should I ask for his address, unless I was some sort of scammer?

I said that "Well, for one thing then, "Sprechen sie Deutsch?" Then he told me to eff off, and hung up!

Jeez, what sort of people does that Bill Gates hire, anyway? Some guy from India works in Munich but doesn't know his own address; he can't speak German; and he tells his customer to eff off!
chuks is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 09:33
  #197 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: The right side of the Pennines
Age: 70
Posts: 146
Just had another "advice" that all my viewing of Porn Sex sites has been recorded and will be sent to my Contact list if I don't pay 641 Bitcoins - I won't, so be prepared for some juicy screenshots !

Ended by suggesting that I be a "good girl" and obey the instructions.
YorkshireTyke is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 09:53
  #198 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: England
Posts: 29
Originally Posted by YorkshireTyke View Post
Just had another "advice" that all my viewing of Porn Sex sites has been recorded and will be sent to my Contact list if I don't pay 641 Bitcoins - I won't, so be prepared for some juicy screenshots !

Ended by suggesting that I be a "good girl" and obey the instructions.
Yours must be really good I regularly get these and the demands only range from $700 to $1000. At current rates 641BtC is about £4m. I need to up my perversion levels.

Last edited by Grayfly; 21st May 2019 at 11:10.
Grayfly is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 10:28
  #199 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: France
Posts: 402
I too am subject to requests for bitcoin payments to keep my private viewing private! It becomes quite fun to see what my daily value is!
Alsacienne is offline  
Old 21st May 2019, 12:41
  #200 (permalink)  
I don't own this space under my name. I should have leased it while I still could
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Lincolnshire
Age: 77
Posts: 16,680
Originally Posted by Alsacienne View Post
I too am subject to requests for bitcoin payments to keep my private viewing private! It becomes quite fun to see what my daily value is!
That scam was doing the rounds a few months back. I think some people paid up but its big failure was asking for $X to be paid in Bit coin. I suspect that less than 1% of those targeted had the vaguest idea of how to send a bit coin.
Pontius Navigator is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.