Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

Brexit: The telephone box hampsterwheel

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Brexit: The telephone box hampsterwheel

Old 19th Jan 2018, 17:55
  #25341 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bavaria
Posts: 99
Originally Posted by glad rag View Post
Excellent news

You will no doubt be "on message" for the purpose of said system?

Space - European Commission

Benefits from space-based applications
Space-based applications and services support many economic sectors. Specifically, they:

Increase efficiency in agriculture and fisheries: satellite-enabled applications improve the mapping of cropland in need of irrigation, harvest forecasts, and fisheries control. This guarantees better food quality and security while safeguarding the environment.

I'm sure those tesco turkeys would have been on their radar..


Help regions access knowledge and information: satellites support communication when Earth-based solutions are limited. This reduces regional imbalances by serving communities in remote areas without internet access.

No need, already catered for in Scotland commercially, very good it is too apparently!!


https://www.fibrecast.uk/


Improve crisis response: satellite services help shorten response times in emergencies. Swift damage images and assessment maps contribute to more efficient planning and relief efforts, and help guide rescue services.

Hmm, I'm sure that it will help those retained fire fighters get to the station even quicker...


Protect the environment and help tackle climate change: environment monitoring provides crucial information on vegetation, ocean currents, water quality, natural resources, atmospheric pollutants, greenhouse gases, and the ozone layer.

And pay more tax to save the planet!!


Increase security: satellite positioning, satellite communications, and Earth observation contribute to detecting illegal immigration, preventing cross-border organised crime, and combating piracy at sea.

Oh The Irony Indeed.


Improve citizens’ health: space-based applications can significantly improve healthcare and the health education of patients through remote medical support. They also help in preventing or mitigating the outbreak of disease.

So it can spot the flu virus then?


Optimise transport: when combined with enhanced communication capabilities, highly accurate satellite positioning contributes to a modern and reliable transport sector for cars, planes, and ships. It optimises fleet management, vessel traceability, collision prevention, speed control, assistance for ship manoeuvres, etc.

Lot of money in that, ask any EU motorist.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/themes/its/road_en

"Clean and CO2-reduced transport

There are relatively few ITS systems and services that specifically address environmental objectives. But ITS can help to reduce emissions and save energy through better demand management including the use of road charging and access management.

Examples:

With electronic fee collection systems, charging road vehicles can be flexible, for example according to vehicle type and emissions category. It is vital for such systems to be interoperable across national borders to avoid creating new obstacles to traffic flow"

Of course, it isn't primarily about the money, but about control.

https://ec.europa.eu/transport/modes/road_en
Interesting. Are you against Space Science generally or just when Europe does it?
Jetex_Jim is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 18:09
  #25342 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Currently within the EU
Posts: 322
Originally Posted by Jetex_Jim View Post
Interesting. Are you against anything generally or just when Europe does it?
Fixed that for you
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 18:20
  #25343 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: No longer in Jurassic Park eating Toblerone....
Posts: 2,652
Ooooh it's the Spy In The Sky!!
LowNSlow is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 20:34
  #25344 (permalink)  

More than just an ATCO
 
Join Date: Jul 1999
Location: Up someone's nose
Age: 70
Posts: 1,768
Bob Courtney wrote " Would you argue the other way had remain won?"
Farage announced beforehand that he would have done that had his side lost.
Whatever happened to the intention of the referendum being only advisory?
Lon More is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 20:38
  #25345 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the boot of my car!
Posts: 6,000
Oooops well by 2106 Pace will still be changing sides!!
But I never voted brexit for a reason
I am still waiting for Rob to paste something where I supported leaving the SM ? Nothing had been forthcoming only selective pieces
Yes prior to 2016 the EU was shaky , another massive bailout of Greece forecast, more EU banks forecast to hit big problems
Millions of Syrians flooding unchecked into Europe

Again Rob please post where I ever supported restricting genuine EU citizens or us cutting away in the fashion we are
My wishes were intitially hoping we were so important to the EU that as Michael Howard promoted ( falsely ) such a move on an advisory referendum that it would be renegotatiated and cancelled
Secondly that we would take a position on the sidelines until the EU changed but firmly in the SM
Frankly I admit I was misled like most on the trade deficit not realising that wasn’t a bad thing and a reflection of the make up of our economy
The USA historically running a deficit

I didn’t realise the extent of inward investment due to our gateway status
I started to doubt my vision of a brexit would not happen so didn’t vote brexit or remain

Since then I have done a mass of research which has changed my opinion

What else has made me change ?

The complete lack of an economic argument for brexit of the type sorted and demanded by this government

The biggest change in my switch ? The divisive and anti democratic way this government have snake like deceived their way through brexit
May has totally ignored the wishes of half the country trying to satisfy the extreme brexiteers in her party and what they want

Brexit is a major change on a minor majority vote so more important that May should have healed the divisions by making brexit s cross party project reflecting the wishes of remain and leave

Instead she has tried to shut down democracy and to silence alternative views
She has imposed her red lines not the countries! which will now severely restrict our access to our biggest and closest market

The Government have deceived the public by lying over the impact forecasts and pretending brexit was s one way street when they knew all along it wasn’t
So yes I am disgusted by what I have seen of brexit

Now I believe we should cancel and change from within as no joy will come from brexit sadly
I am pretty sure as the older brexit voters die and the young come more prominent we will want back in
Our choice today will cost us tomorrow
Pace is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 20:53
  #25346 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Norfolk
Age: 63
Posts: 3
Pace (and others)

With respect to the attitudes of all the young remain supporters;

I don't suppose that it has ever crossed any of your minds that with increasing age and maturity, comes increasing understanding and knowledge. As the current young remain supporters grow older, is it not a reasonable assumption that they will come to realise the Brexit is/was the correct choice for the UK?

Therefore the proportion of people in favour of Brexit is unlikely to change as the older and wiser generation die off because the younger generation will in turn mature, hopefully acquire some wisdom with age, and come to the realisation that Brexit is the right path, the only path for the UK to take.
G0ULI is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 21:19
  #25347 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the boot of my car!
Posts: 6,000
Gouli

Frankly the only way it would be the correct choice is if the EU fell apart
If the EU goes from strength to strength then I predict within two years we will be banging on the door
It’s nothing to do with the wisdom of the old more the retro wishes and hankering of their youth of the old

Even May again had refused to support brexit in another referendum


https://www.politicshome.com/news/uk...in-refuses-say
Pace is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 21:52
  #25348 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Norfolk
Age: 63
Posts: 3
Pace

You are a youngster on the verge of maturity, a point proved by your vacillation between leaving and remaining within the EU. As you grow older, you will come to realise that your first instinct towards supporting Brexit, was in fact the correct position to adopt.

Give it another decade and hopefully you will develop the self assurance to support what you know in your heart is correct, Brexit. You have spent the last 25,000 posts trying to justify your change of heart, quoting all sorts of spurious statistics and polls to try and prop up an untenable position.

As you get older you will come to realise that you evaluate the facts in advance, then make a decision and stick with it. Only if the facts change do you re-evaluate the decision. The facts and indeed the predictions have not changed since David Cameron announced there was to be a referendum. Everything is proceeding as expected and Brexit will take place, possibly as early as the beginning of next week, but in any case by 30th of March next year.
G0ULI is offline  
Old 19th Jan 2018, 22:49
  #25349 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Very close to the Theatre of Dreams!
Posts: 156
Bob Courtney wrote " Would you argue the other way had remain won?"
Farage announced beforehand that he would have done that had his side lost.
Whatever happened to the intention of the referendum being only advisory?
So Farage would, but I didnt ask what Farage would do did I Can you imagine for one moment you remainers going along with the line "people voted to remain but they didnt say what kind of remain" Did they mean a remain like we are now or a Norway style remain or a Swiss style remain? Once we have negotiated our remaining in it then should go back to the people to decide if they like whats on offer or they want to leave"

As for advisory, well Cameron didnt think it was and he called it, remember this


Or this?


Now Im sure Cameron thought he would win and planned to close down any further discussion, indeed Pace claims that he had done a deal with the EU to prevent any further referendums. So if its good for your side its good for mine as well. Never fear though, once we have left Pace will be forming a party to campaign to take us back into the EU so dont forget to sign up.
Rob Courtney is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 08:17
  #25350 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 67
Posts: 58
Originally Posted by G0ULI View Post
Pace (and others)

With respect to the attitudes of all the young remain supporters;

I don't suppose that it has ever crossed any of your minds that with increasing age and maturity, comes increasing understanding and knowledge. As the current young remain supporters grow older, is it not a reasonable assumption that they will come to realise the Brexit is/was the correct choice for the UK?

Therefore the proportion of people in favour of Brexit is unlikely to change as the older and wiser generation die off because the younger generation will in turn mature, hopefully acquire some wisdom with age, and come to the realisation that Brexit is the right path, the only path for the UK to take.
Exactly the reverse of my experience. My brother is 75 and passionately Brexit. He really knows sod all about most things unless they are electrical. I would say that his knowledge of economics, politics and foreign affairs is zero. What strikes me is how many Brexit supporters have never set foot outside Britain ( in many cases England) my son has a theory that you can judge the strength of a person's support for Brexit by how long they cook their steak.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 08:38
  #25351 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the boot of my car!
Posts: 6,000
Gouli

I am no youngster ))
I cannot see an economic argument for brexit
Maybe before the referendum with my lack of knowledge on things like trade balances and the very rocky situation then of the EU I saw a case back then

Now with a lot more knowledge I cannot see anything other than ideology
Pace is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 09:20
  #25352 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 1999
Location: London UK
Posts: 488
Originally Posted by Jetex_Jim View Post
Interesting. Are you against Space Science generally or just when Europe does it?

I have no problem with Europe doing it, just with the EU doing it. A trade agreement doesn't need a space program.
Dr Jekyll is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 10:25
  #25353 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the boot of my car!
Posts: 6,000
Macron says 'special' UK deal possible - BBC News

I saw this interview yesterday and the expression on Mays face was one of overwhelming nervousness when a reporter asked Macron the question on a special trade deal especially on finance

There has been no movement and won’t be any your either in the single market accepting the 4 freedoms and the ECJ or you are not

Where from here ?

Header is misleading as yes we will get a trade deal but minus all the bits May wants
Pace is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 10:33
  #25354 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: UK
Posts: 1,648
Originally Posted by Pace View Post
Macron says 'special' UK deal possible - BBC News

I saw this interview yesterday and the expression on Mays face was one of overwhelming nervousness when a reporter asked Macron the question on a special trade deal especially on finance

There has been no movement and won’t be any your either in the single market accepting the 4 freedoms and the ECJ or you are not

Where from here ?

Header is misleading as yes we will get a trade deal but minus all the bits May wants
That's about the size of it; I really don't know what Mrs May / David Davis fails to understand. Having our cake, and eating it isn't going to be an option.

Mrs May in an interview with that high brow rag "Bild" in Germany said again there isn't going to be a second referendum; but the more she says it, the more likely there is to be one!!
ATNotts is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 10:59
  #25355 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the boot of my car!
Posts: 6,000
ATNotts

Either she backs down on her silly red lines and gets a Norway plus or yes never say never just might be
Pace is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 13:27
  #25356 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ESSEX
Posts: 239
Originally Posted by RetiredF4 View Post
You sure can provide some evidence, from some official source, an EU directive or the like?

Or are you just repeating lies from the Brexit campaign?

Can you provide a gaurantee they won’t. ..
No. Hence the immigration fears at the referendum
SARF is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 13:55
  #25357 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: In the boot of my car!
Posts: 6,000
https://www.express.co.uk/news/polit...a-May-MPs-vote

One for Gouli which he has been waiting for
My guess there will be between 30 and 60 who will support this motion
Pace is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 14:12
  #25358 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: ESSEX
Posts: 239
100k is a bit low for these petition debates.. pointless waste of time ., some excellent ranting from both sides and as Pace said .. 40 tories and half a dozen or so labour mps telling everyone what everyone already knew was their opinion
SARF is offline  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 14:25
  #25359 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: UK
Posts: 4,636
What really upsets all the pro EU MPs is the thought of the doors closing on those nice cushy numbers at the Commission in Brussels.
Fareastdriver is online now  
Old 20th Jan 2018, 14:36
  #25360 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Very close to the Theatre of Dreams!
Posts: 156
I cannot see an economic argument for brexit
Said before numerous times by nemerous people. Remainers are only interested in their pocket.

Didnt you say if we stayed in the UK would become a poorer country?
Rob Courtney is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.