Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

What is the UK equivalent of a Better Business Bureau?

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

What is the UK equivalent of a Better Business Bureau?

Old 30th Jan 2016, 23:43
  #1 (permalink)  
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 1998
Location: Where the job is!
Posts: 440
What is the UK equivalent of a Better Business Bureau?

For those not familiar with the Better Business Bureau system:

BBBs exist in major centres across the USA and Canada. There is a co-ordinating Corporate Office located in Virginia, USA.They are funded by businesses that are members and who subscribe to a code of conduct and dispute resolution process. Customers who receive bad service or goods and find the supplier unwilling to face up to its responsibilities may obtain help from the appropriate BBB that covers the city where the supplier is located. Consumers may also check if a company belongs to the BBB and what its track record is before deciding whether or not to do business with it.

I have received help from a BBB in the past and been very grateful for it. It does not always work as they are unable to influence weasel big operators such as Air Canada (yes, I have the lack of influence on Air Canada confirmed in writing by a BBB) and government departments and their influence against major monopoly members such as telcoms whose employees sit on the local BBB boards is limited. However mostly they do help ordinary consumers.

I now have a problem with a company in the UK so would like to know who to contact for help. As well as the name of the BBB equivalent, I will need its proper email address. An online so-called contact form is not an acceptable substitute for a proper email address.

The name and contact information of the BBB equivalent will be appreciated.
Carrier is offline  
Old 31st Jan 2016, 00:19
  #2 (permalink)  
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: UK
Posts: 23

The nearest equivalent is probably Trading Standards, run by the Local Government Authority for the area and overseen by the Trading Standards Institute.

It would be best to approach the Trading Standards Office for the area where your supplier is based. If you have their Post Code, you can search from here:


An alternative would be Citizens Advice, (link on above page), but I'm not sure if they could help someone outside the UK.
messybeast is offline  
Old 31st Jan 2016, 07:28
  #3 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,991
Depending on the industry there may be a government ombudsman service.

Complaints - How to use an Ombudsman in England

Or there may be an appropriate trade association which deals with complaints.

UK Professional Bodies and Tade Associations
ORAC is online now  

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.