Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

US Politics Hamsterwheel v2.0

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

US Politics Hamsterwheel v2.0

Old 2nd Apr 2019, 05:27
  #17941 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: 49th parallel
Posts: 44
Originally Posted by Uncle Fred View Post
That is the kind of thinking (as if it even resembles any kind of higher level cognition) that . Either way, your vicious reply regarding an ally that is trying to work through the issue is a democratic way (plus or minus I concede) gives a glimpse behind the mask of the anger you seem to hedge.
OMG - to laugh out loud .. this from a person who spends most of his life 'viciously' disparaging the U.S. on a chat forum and, more particularly, the President of the U.S. It appears the one with the mask of anger is you Fred. Spend a bit of time reflecting on your own 'vicious' ramblings on this thread..
PacWest is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 05:51
  #17942 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 73
Posts: 1,561
Fred, you can't make this one up: German workers (all unionized) for their own multi-national auto makers have sometimes staged protests against their employers for not moving further in allowing union representation for US auto workers. (All of those states you identified can be thought of as anti-union to some degree.)

There are so many things wrong with Trump's approach to, well, life itself, that they show up wherever you look. To think deeply about why our car makers are in trouble should lead to considering their health care costs, and the lack of a comprehensive plan to provide that. For Trump it's just a matter of seeing too many Mercedes automobiles in New York City, when a 25% tariff should fix the problem; there is no way he is ever going to consider an obvious need for "socialized medicine," since that would require him to stop and think for an extended period, or at least to listen to experts who have already thought deeply about such things.

The (unsubstantiated) notion that Mercedes-Benz might be more successful in his own New York City than GM or Ford only leads Trump to think that M-B has to be cheating us somehow, so that they have to be punished. There you have it: a cheater looking at honest success.

If people who do manual labor, whether in auto plants or on farms, lose their jobs, then what Trump will really think will be more this way: "Excuse me, but none of my offspring have ever had to do a day of that sort of work in their privileged lives! (Same as me, actually; it was Father and Grandfather Trump who put in the real work; I play at work.) Why should I bother to care about losers, since they will still line up to vote for me if I can just spin this mess I am making in the right way? Let's see what Kellyanne has come up with for that."

To a certain sort of selfish rich person socialized anything is anathema. He can buy all that he needs with his money; if you can't afford even basic stuff why should that be his problem to solve? Do you really think that he wants to give away more of his money in the form of taxes? If society in general sort of goes to hell for some of us then the preferred solution for those who think as Trump does is some sort of "gated community."

PacWest, you might want to check that "mask of anger" thing you cite. Fred wrote about a mask that hides anger, where you managed to misread that metaphor as its complete opposite, a mask showing anger. Go back and read it again, please.

Yes, Trump got that one right, "I love the poorly educated!" And, as is only fair, the poorly educated love Trump. I guess they are too poorly educated to see that Trump is the classical "love 'em and leave 'em" type.

vicious: deliberately cruel or violent; immoral
chuks is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 06:39
  #17943 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 0
Chuks, as usual you are twisting the reality to try to view American industry through German lenses.

The reason the US auto industries failed was multifactorial: poor management. Not recognizing that the public wanted a different product than they were making. Antiquated factories. However the unions bear a great deal of responsibility there. They resisted assembly line automation, insisting that a guy get $35 an hour to screw a Torx screw into a piece of trim, when a robot could do it for pennies. They insisted on massive unfunded pensions. They turned GM and its cohorts into health care providers instead of car makers.

So along came the foreigners. They recognized that free importing of cheaper cars (even though they were of higher build quality) would not be allowed to go on forever. So Honda, Nissan, Toyota, Suzuki, et al built plants in North America. But they built them in states where the union extortion tactics were not allowed. And very successfully, with the workers very pleased with their new livelihood. The German companies have done the same, though only of late. Strangely, once freed from the union yoke, those US workers can produce vehicles of at least the same quality as those German/Japanese/Korean workers.

And not one bit of this process was attributable to Trump -- all before 2017.

Of course Trump will wave the Tariff Flag around a bit, but in the end, Americans will still be buying better quality vehicles at good prices, once the countries involved work out the "deal" that Trump is after. There are, of course other industries at stake beyond just the automotives.
obgraham is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 08:07
  #17944 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Europe
Age: 42
Posts: 607
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Strangely, once freed from the union yoke, those US workers can produce vehicles of at least the same quality as those German/Japanese/Korean workers.
You're claiming it's the unions who are keeping the assembly quality of US cars at a low point? If that was true, Tesla wouldn't be having the quality issues it does, now would it? Likewise, if unionisation is so bad, how come Porsche, BMW, Audi & Mercedes are turning out products from their German factories that's the envy and gold standard of the world, built solely by unionised labour? The truth is probably, that non-US automakers insist on certain standards, have more tools available on the assembly line than a hammer and a shovel, and non-US workers are just better at putting together a vehicle.
SMT Member is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 08:33
  #17945 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 73
Posts: 1,561
There are several vehicles that M-B sells here in Germany that are made exclusively in the USA. They meed M-B's quality standards, obviously.

I am not sure about BMW, whether or not they sell some models that are only made in the States. That might be so, but I would have to look that up, when doing that makes poor little OB so very, very upset. Shall I just do a Trump and say that is so? Okay, here goes: The very bestest vehicles made by BMW are made in the USA!

Now we go look it up .... Turns out that most of their SUV models are made in the USA: the X3 through X7 SUVs. They might well be made elsewhere too, not exclusively in the USA, where for M-B I think it is so that some of their M-series SUVs are only made there.

VW, on the other hand, seems to make US-specific models in the USA that are not exported to Germany. Again, I am just guessing.

GM recently sold their Opel subsidiary to the French, so that their presence here is microscopic: Corvettes; Camaros; Cadillacs in very small numbers; with the rest of it being Korean-made cars branded as Chevrolets, just crap-boxes.

Ford has a German subsidiary that has a large presence, particularly for their small commercial vehicles, but also for cars. I used to rent a Focus in the States that was almost identical to the same car here in Germany, with only detail differences.

It is now Fiat Chrysler Automobiles, headquartered in Dearborn, Michigan. Fiat is now an American company! On the other hand, the popular Fiat 500 is made in Mexico for the US market.

Go get 'em, Donald! Smack 'em with your tariff stick, hard! "Thwow him to the gwound, Centuwion! Woughly!"
chuks is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 19:34
  #17946 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Middle America
Age: 81
Posts: 1,163
Par For The Course

Trump is a big cheat at golf, celebrities and athletes told former Sports Illustrated columnist Rick Reilly, who has also played with the president. The New York Post's Gavin Newsham reports: “In his new book, 'Commander in Cheat: How Golf Explains Trump,' Reilly shares stories from golfers like Tiger Woods and Samuel L. Jackson who've seen Trump play against the rules. In layman’s terms, the lower the handicap, the better the player. Jack Nicklaus, winner of a record 18 major golf titles and generally considered the greatest golfer in the history of the game, has a handicap of 3.4. Nicklaus’ handicap is listed on the same Golf Handicap and Information Network website used by Trump, where players post their scores. 'If Trump is a 2.8,' writes Reilly, 'Queen Elizabeth is a pole vaulter.' Quite why Trump cheats is another matter. Reilly offers a simple reply. 'Golf,' he writes, 'is like bicycle shorts. It reveals a lot about a man.'”
Turbine D is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 20:46
  #17947 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 73
Posts: 1,561
I just saw a small item stating that Trump is now at 22 lies per day. One of them is that his father was born in Germany; he has said that 3 times now.

Trump's paternal grandfather, Frederick Trump, was born in Bavaria, Norditalien, yes, but it is a matter of public record that his father, Frederick Christ Trump, was born in the Bronx, New York City, New York, USA.

It makes sense that Trump would lie about his father having been arrested at a Klan rally, wearing a Klan robe, but why would he lie about him having been born in the States?
chuks is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 20:47
  #17948 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 0
Second fun week in a row in American politics!

There are so many women coming out claiming Biden groped them -- you'd think Trump has nominated him for Supreme Court! *

In other news, while the media and Turbine are obsessing about his golf game, Trump has continued to clean up the Ninth District Court, placing a couple more judges there who think the Constitution is something more than just a few suggestions for a better life. Feinstein, of course is leaking into her Depends because she didn;t get to choose a "reasonable" candidate. Apparently her view is that senators choose, not presidents.

Great stuff!

* = I plagiarized that one!
obgraham is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 20:54
  #17949 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Texas
Age: 62
Posts: 5,660
Originally Posted by Turbine D View Post
Trump is a big cheat at golf, celebrities and athletes told former Sports Illustrated columnist Rick Reilly, who has also played with the president.
Golf Digest used to do a "golfing with celebrities" article years ago. Pres Bush 41, W, Clinton, and others were covered. What I find interesting is that the Golf writers have called out both Bill Clinton and Donald Trump as cheaters, while Bush 41, Bush 43, Dan Quayle, and B Obama were not singled out for such criticism.
I used to enjoy Reilly a lot when I had an SI subscription, until he decided he wanted to try and bully a guy in print whose native language is not English, one Sammy Sosa, and then I saw a number of his pieces that made me realize that he was trying to prove that he was the Next George Plimpton. So I stopped liking the guy, but people have known Trump pads his handicap (and let's say is casual with the rules) for years, I'm going to bet on Reilly calling this one like it is.

@chuks: what would a rich f from New York be doing at a Klan rally? (I refer to Trump's dad). That one doesn't make sense to me. (though I did learn some years back that there are clan chapters in Connecticut, which discovery blew my mind. I had thought it was mostly a southern thing. Guess not)
Lonewolf_50 is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 22:02
  #17950 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 73
Posts: 1,561
Try the Klan experience! It is so much more than you think!

My father told me about watching a Klan rally in Portland, Oregon that must have happened around 1935, since he was born in 1915. Robes, torches, the whole tutti-frutti.

While the Klan in the South was notorious for its actions against blacks, they also were active in other areas against Jews and Catholics. (My father was raised in a deeply Catholic family, when two of his sisters became nuns. He would thus have been highly aware of Klan activity in Portland because he was raised in Salem, about 60 miles away.)

According to what I have read in passing, Fred Trump was one of seven robed Klansmen arrested at a disturbance having something to do with Catholics. That there would have been Klan activity in the vicinity of New York City then is plausible. For example, there was a rather large American Nazi rally in Madison Square Garden (I think it was) shortly before the outbreak of World War II. This was at a time when Charles Lindbergh was both against Great Britain and for Nazi Germany.

At the same time we had the so-called radio priest, Father Coughlin, making very inflammatory, crudely anti-Semitic speeches.

The thing is that Fred Trump would not have been grossly out of step to have been arrested in Klan robes at a Klan demonstration in New York City at that time. Today, who could believe it, but not then. It is mainly interesting that Trump has always lied about the mere fact of his father having been arrested, when contemporary newspaper clippings referred to Fred Trump by name in a way that made it clear that that was Trump's father.

It would be about like me denying that I had ever been arrested, when there must be records of multiple convictions for speeding offenses. 70 in a 55 on the Interstate (I was thinking about my FE practical test that was coming up in a few days) is not exactly the Crime of the Century, but lying about that?

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...-square-garden
chuks is offline  
Old 2nd Apr 2019, 22:58
  #17951 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 0
Where did you get the idea, Chuks, that a traffic stop is an arrest? It's a "detention", and is handled differently than an "arrest" WRT your rights, etc.

So no, I've never been arrested. And that is not a lie.

Maybe in your case, your traffic stops all led eventually to arrest. That's on you!
obgraham is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 06:40
  #17952 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 73
Posts: 1,561
My "rights"? That is up to the cop!

OB, what "rights" would those be that make one "detention" different from another?

Cops have rights: a badge, a .40-caliber pistol, a cruiser with a V8 engine up front and nowadays an M4 carbine in the trunk, sometimes a fur-covered, guided missile in the back seat .... If you want to go up against all that with your big mouth, that might not end well.

The last time I was pulled over was on the outskirts of Wilmington, Vermont for doing 70 in a 55. The thing was that I was in a Toyota Land Crusher that went gravity-powered downhill unless you rode its brakes. I was just coasting without watching the speed closely when a townie in the usual Crown Vic, half-hidden behind a billboard, got me on radar doing 15 over the limit. Oops!

By the time I noticed him it was too late, and then I saw him pull out and put on his flashing lights so that I just pulled over into the parking lot for the old Golden Eagle motel, shut off the car, ran down the window, kept both hands in sight, and awaited developments.

Along in there came the usual "Do you have any idea why I pulled you over?"

Something some people do not know is that a cop does not have to read you your Miranda rights before asking you a question such as that one. If you want to incriminate yourself then it is up to you, because you have not yet been arrested. What, tell him that "I was not paying attention to my speed so that I was doing 70 in a 55," when the cop should understand that I am someone special so that he will let me go for not just speeding but proving to him that I am stupid? Good luck with that one. That would be like, "Let me help you with my speeding ticket, Officer; I was not just speeding but also driving without due care and attention. Have a twofer, on me."

If you want to be a hard-ass then comes the old standby, the "furtive motion" on your part that is grounds for a search of the vehicle, with you then in cuffs. (As it happened, a little later on when I was giving my borrowed Land Crusher a spring cleaning, I found the remnants of what looked like a "joint" in the driver's door pocket. Ho Lee Crap.)

I told the cop then, very politely, that if my lawyer were there he would tell me not to answer that question, and that anyway I would hate to have to guess. He tried a few more times, equally politely, to get me to hang myself while I did a perfect imitation of a box tortoise. Then he went away to come back with a warning, not a speeding ticket.

Darn! I forgot to tell him "I know my rights! Why aren't you out catching real criminals instead of bothering me?" That would have shown him who was boss there!
chuks is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 06:48
  #17953 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 0
Since you stated it, Chuks, why not own up to it: When you are "detained" for a traffic stop it is just that. No Mirandas required. You can up the ante if you so choose, with your witty repartee with the officer.

But when the cuffs come out, so does Miranda, and you are off to the "station house". That's an arrest. On your permanent record, just like that time in the third grade when you got the strap for pulling down Annie Szymanski's skirt.
obgraham is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 07:25
  #17954 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 73
Posts: 1,561
OB, what is your point? To a layman, the question of "Have you ever been arrested?" simply means "Do you have any criminal convictions?" It would be pettifogging for me to answer "No," because I had not been arrested, merely detained, leaving out the fact that criminal convictions followed on from almost all of those detentions. (Are you somehow under the delusion that speeding is not a criminal act?)

In my case I had speeding tickets too many to count back when. If I were running for some sort of public office, when there would be a reasonable expectation that as a person I showed due respect for the law, right down to not jaywalking nor spitting on the sidewalk, all those speeding convictions would probably convince your average voter that I was some kind of a dangerous jerk.

Voters deserve to be told about a candidate's criminal record so that they know what sort of person they are voting for. George W. Bush was lit up for an old DUI, for example, when voters then made an informed choice; they went for Al Gore on the Popular Vote. (Mr. "Cruisin' 'n' Boozin'" still got in thanks to the Electoral Vote, and some hanging chads.)

Why do you suppose, OB, that Trump went to so much trouble to try and hide not just shagging the porn star and the Playmate, but also buying their silence with illegal campaign contributions? There he was trying to hide multiple criminal acts, felonies, on his part, wasn't he? What do you want to tell us about that? Is it that it was okay to hide it because he was never arrested for any of it?

To be fair, Trump was never convicted of cheating many vulnerable people with his fake Trump University. He made a free will donation of $25 million to the State of New York without any formal admission of guilt. Before that he was never convicted of "housing discrimination" either. He just promised not to do something he never had to admit to having done in the first place. Trump is the living, breathing embodiment of "I never did that, and you can't prove that I did!"
chuks is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 13:41
  #17955 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 73
Posts: 1,561
Trump redux ....

Last time it was " ... and God bless the United Shayshe." Was that his dentures coming loose, or was he having a stroke?

This time it was Trump telling reporters that he wanted them to look for the "oranges" of the Mueller report. In three out of four tries "origins" came out as "oranges." The first time, Trump fished around for another way to say that by substituting "the beginning" after he got "the origins" wrong twice. Then he got the word right, but he closed by getting it wrong again. https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...tigation-video

After that, Trump told everyone this: “My father is German, right, was German. And born in a very wonderful place in Germany, and so I have a great feeling for Germany, but they’re not paying what they should be paying.”

1. Fred Trump was born in the Bronx, New York City. Everybody but Trump knows that.

2. Frederick Trump was born in Germany as Friedrich Trump, but he was Trump's grandfather. (Also, it seems that Trump had forgotten where in Germany his grandfather had been born. I know that: Kallstadt, Bavaria, so why doesn't Trump know that?)

3. Nato is not a club to which one has to pay dues! But never mind that now.

So this guy's clutch is slipping pretty badly. I had thought he was lying about where his father was born, for some mysterious purpose known only to Trump. No, now I think he has lost it.
chuks is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 16:13
  #17956 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 0
Actually, Chuks, you are wrong, but never let the facts interfere with a good Trumprant.

Simple speeding is a violation, a civil offense. Not a criminal offense. If it is "Egregious", like perhaps yours were, that is different, a criminal misdemeanor.
obgraham is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 16:29
  #17957 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by chuks View Post
OB, what "rights" would those be that make one "detention" different from another?

Cops have rights: a badge, a .40-caliber pistol, a cruiser with a V8 engine up front and nowadays an M4 carbine in the trunk, sometimes a fur-covered, guided missile in the back seat .... If you want to go up against all that with your big mouth, that might not end well.

The last time I was pulled over was on the outskirts of Wilmington, Vermont for doing 70 in a 55. The thing was that I was in a Toyota Land Crusher that went gravity-powered downhill unless you rode its brakes. I was just coasting without watching the speed closely when a townie in the usual Crown Vic, half-hidden behind a billboard, got me on radar doing 15 over the limit. Oops!

By the time I noticed him it was too late, and then I saw him pull out and put on his flashing lights so that I just pulled over into the parking lot for the old Golden Eagle motel, shut off the car, ran down the window, kept both hands in sight, and awaited developments.

Along in there came the usual "Do you have any idea why I pulled you over?"

Something some people do not know is that a cop does not have to read you your Miranda rights before asking you a question such as that one. If you want to incriminate yourself then it is up to you, because you have not yet been arrested. What, tell him that "I was not paying attention to my speed so that I was doing 70 in a 55," when the cop should understand that I am someone special so that he will let me go for not just speeding but proving to him that I am stupid? Good luck with that one. That would be like, "Let me help you with my speeding ticket, Officer; I was not just speeding but also driving without due care and attention. Have a twofer, on me."

If you want to be a hard-ass then comes the old standby, the "furtive motion" on your part that is grounds for a search of the vehicle, with you then in cuffs. (As it happened, a little later on when I was giving my borrowed Land Crusher a spring cleaning, I found the remnants of what looked like a "joint" in the driver's door pocket. Ho Lee Crap.)

I told the cop then, very politely, that if my lawyer were there he would tell me not to answer that question, and that anyway I would hate to have to guess. He tried a few more times, equally politely, to get me to hang myself while I did a perfect imitation of a box tortoise. Then he went away to come back with a warning, not a speeding ticket.

Darn! I forgot to tell him "I know my rights! Why aren't you out catching real criminals instead of bothering me?" That would have shown him who was boss there!
If the speed limit was 55, why were you driving at 70? A downhill is a legitimate reason to speed?
West Coast is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 19:42
  #17958 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Germany
Age: 73
Posts: 1,561
The Department of the Bleedin' Obvious ....

Why was I doing 70 when the limit was 55? Because I was not paying attention, that is why! This was a Toyota Land Crusher FFS! I never bothered to find out how fast it was or anything like that. I just loaded the CD player with six CDs I liked and sat there enduring the boredom of American roads in what is basically a light truck with a luxurious body fitted to it. So there I was, going downhill off Hogback Mountain thinking about photography when I simply did not notice that the speed had crept up to 70 with my foot off the accelerator. This was on a Sunday with next to no traffic and no hurry, and no excuse either. Put very simply, I screwed up, when that cop was being very kind to let me off with a warning, one I took as a warning.

The German Autobahn is a bit of a surprise for a road with no speed limit; it is not much different from a US Interstate with a limit of 55 or 70 or whatever it is now. B roads here are limited to 62, when they are about the same as B roads in the States that can be limited to 35 or 45 mph.

OB, check this out for a slightly different take on your notions about speeding: https://jalopnik.com/what-every-driv...ini-1669902845

Back in the day, when I was young and carefree, I used to play the fool in the States. At one point I had three licenses, one each for Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. Virginia finally got tired of handing out speeding tickets to me so that they wanted me to attend some sort of "How not to drive like a loon" weekend, semi-punitive driver training class. I simply handed back my Virginia license then. (There was no central computer database in those happy days.)

One time we were trying to settle the question of whether a Ducati 860 GT was faster than a Dunstall Norton 750 Atlas by running up Wisconsin Avenue at midnight, right through the middle of Chevy Chase, WFO. I was getting clutch slip at about 100 mph when I saw the flashing lights from way back there, so that we both pulled over. The cop who pulled us over for that foolishness was writing and writing and writing, which was making me a bit nervous about just how much trouble I was in. Then he handed me a ticket for nothing more than "speed greater than reasonable and proper." Turned out he was just a slow writer, plus we blew past him and then stopped before he had a chance to clock us!

That was then and this is now, however. The same kind of stuff we did just for laughs would probably get me in a whole lot of trouble now, when I have no interest in finding out if that is so or not. You can get in trouble here in Germany for flying too low too, but it's at least one order of magnitude faster than you have to go to do that in the States. It seems that there it's accepted that people drive like crap, so that they substitute low speed limits for any sort of real driving ability.

As America is to gun control, so Germany is to allowing high speeds. We have two relatively fast cars and one not-slow bike. The cars can do about 145, but the bike will only do about 135 mph. Ask me how I know.
chuks is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 19:58
  #17959 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: E.Wash State
Posts: 0
My take from all your venting, Chuks, is that you are a dangerous driver, best avoided by the rest of us on the roads.
obgraham is offline  
Old 3rd Apr 2019, 20:30
  #17960 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: surfing, watching for sharks
Posts: 3,804
Originally Posted by chuks View Post
Why was I doing 70 when the limit was 55? Because I was not paying attention, that is why! This was a Toyota Land Crusher FFS! I never bothered to find out how fast it was or anything like that. I just loaded the CD player with six CDs I liked and sat there enduring the boredom of American roads in what is basically a light truck with a luxurious body fitted to it. So there I was, going downhill off Hogback Mountain thinking about photography when I simply did not notice that the speed had crept up to 70 with my foot off the accelerator. This was on a Sunday with next to no traffic and no hurry, and no excuse either. Put very simply, I screwed up, when that cop was being very kind to let me off with a warning, one I took as a warning.

The German Autobahn is a bit of a surprise for a road with no speed limit; it is not much different from a US Interstate with a limit of 55 or 70 or whatever it is now. B roads here are limited to 62, when they are about the same as B roads in the States that can be limited to 35 or 45 mph.

OB, check this out for a slightly different take on your notions about speeding: https://jalopnik.com/what-every-driv...ini-1669902845

Back in the day, when I was young and carefree, I used to play the fool in the States. At one point I had three licenses, one each for Virginia, Maryland, and D.C. Virginia finally got tired of handing out speeding tickets to me so that they wanted me to attend some sort of "How not to drive like a loon" weekend, semi-punitive driver training class. I simply handed back my Virginia license then. (There was no central computer database in those happy days.)

One time we were trying to settle the question of whether a Ducati 860 GT was faster than a Dunstall Norton 750 Atlas by running up Wisconsin Avenue at midnight, right through the middle of Chevy Chase, WFO. I was getting clutch slip at about 100 mph when I saw the flashing lights from way back there, so that we both pulled over. The cop who pulled us over for that foolishness was writing and writing and writing, which was making me a bit nervous about just how much trouble I was in. Then he handed me a ticket for nothing more than "speed greater than reasonable and proper." Turned out he was just a slow writer, plus we blew past him and then stopped before he had a chance to clock us!

That was then and this is now, however. The same kind of stuff we did just for laughs would probably get me in a whole lot of trouble now, when I have no interest in finding out if that is so or not. You can get in trouble here in Germany for flying too low too, but it's at least one order of magnitude faster than you have to go to do that in the States. It seems that there it's accepted that people drive like crap, so that they substitute low speed limits for any sort of real driving ability.

As America is to gun control, so Germany is to allowing high speeds. We have two relatively fast cars and one not-slow bike. The cars can do about 145, but the bike will only do about 135 mph. Ask me how I know.
Given your admitted lack of attention to detail combined with a willful disregard for laws, please limit your driving to Germany.

There’s enough lousy drivers here already, don’t need a border line ex-pat with a lead foot adding to the mix.
West Coast is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.