Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Formula 1

Old 7th Sep 2021, 23:05
  #10001 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Forest
Posts: 133
I think all the while Mercedes are winning the constructors, and have a driver leading the WDC they won't care which one it is, and they will be allowed to race, within reason
AeroSpark is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2021, 10:26
  #10002 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: UK
Age: 56
Posts: 199
Originally Posted by AeroSpark View Post
I think all the while Mercedes are winning the constructors, and have a driver leading the WDC they won't care which one it is, and they will be allowed to race, within reason
I agree, that's been the Mercedes creed since they bought the team from Brawn: unless & until one driver is clearly leading the championship, or clearly faster in the race, no team orders.
alfaman is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2021, 11:17
  #10003 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 862
Originally Posted by LlamaFarmer View Post
Today sums up why the number 2 car is so crucial… whilst Max retakes the championship lead, Mercedes are pulling away in the constructors.
Well, they're 12 points ahead... . Not quite 'pulling away'.
jolihokistix is online now  
Old 8th Sep 2021, 11:20
  #10004 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,738
Originally Posted by jolihokistix View Post
Well, they're 12 points ahead... . Not quite 'pulling away'.
They are further ahead now than they were before Zaandvoort… pulling away.

Not out of reach, not romping away, but they’re increasing the gap to Red Bull. That’s all down to the second car… Bottas in P3, Perez not making it through Q1.
Things like that are going to be crucial this year, just like Perez getting podiums and winning in Baku (although Max would have won that one) and Bottas out the points. The second driver will win the constructors this year, whoever that might be.
LlamaFarmer is offline  
Old 8th Sep 2021, 19:56
  #10005 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: La Rochelle.
Age: 46
Posts: 531
Everything taken into account, I though Kubica did OK at Zaandvoort. Interesting to see how he gets on at Monza.
clareprop is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2021, 12:04
  #10006 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,738
Originally Posted by clareprop View Post
Everything taken into account, I though Kubica did OK at Zaandvoort. Interesting to see how he gets on at Monza.
I think 2019 made him look worse than he is.

The Williams was definitely the worst car by far, and I think Russell far far outperformed the car, making Kubica look distinctly below average.

However (if I fully remember the report from 3.5 years ago) in the end of season testing at the end of 2018, within 2 laps, Kubica was going faster than Sirotkin, who had been racing the 2018 Williams all year and so very familiar with it.

I think in a better car, with a good but not excellent teammate, he’d hold his own quite well.

Pre-accident he was definitely a championship contender if he had a better car
LlamaFarmer is offline  
Old 9th Sep 2021, 21:24
  #10007 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Forest
Posts: 133
Kubica did OK and you can't deny his talent from his previous experience in F1, but I just don't see the point of him being there. Lets face it he's not realistically going to get another full time drive so why not give an up and coming youngster a chance? I wouuld like to see a rule brought in that says a reserve driver has to be taken from a junior formula/driver academy, and should be given a minimum amount of practice sessions over a season.
AeroSpark is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2021, 05:36
  #10008 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,738
I don’t disagree aerospark.

I would like to see sessions reduced to FP1, FP2, Quali, Race. Of which at least one car in FP1 must be run by a reserve/test/guest driver with no previous full time F1 experience.

There are so many good up and coming drivers, and more than normal seat-blocking old experienced drivers.
Kimi is retiring this year, but Hamilton and Alonso are both older and more experienced than most drivers retire at.

The top teams all have far more drivers in their academies than they can provide seats for, and it’s becoming a nice problem for them to have. Although an expensive one as well, they nurture and support them only to then drop them in their prime because they can’t keep them and have them in a rival team.
LlamaFarmer is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2021, 06:29
  #10009 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 862
Sounds a bit like football then.

Re this weekend sprint thing.
Will it again give über measly points to only the top three, but then as a bonus for the winner fix pole position in order to virtually guarantee winning the final race before it even starts? (The driver on pole tends to go on and win…)
jolihokistix is online now  
Old 10th Sep 2021, 07:34
  #10010 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by jolihokistix View Post

Re this weekend sprint thing.
Will it again give über measly points to only the top three, but then as a bonus for the winner fix pole position in order to virtually guarantee winning the final race before it even starts? (The driver on pole tends to go on and win…)
Last time we had a sprint race the pole sitter didn’t win!
SaulGoodman is offline  
Old 10th Sep 2021, 08:33
  #10011 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 862
Haha, yes, he shot himself in the foot, and the Fates stepped in!

The exception proves the rule.

And Hamilton stayed well back at Zandvoort.
jolihokistix is online now  
Old 11th Sep 2021, 16:30
  #10012 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 862
If Hamilton is not the ROCK antelope, it’s because he is not the complete all-rounder.
How many rubbish starts under pressure have we seen from him? Too many to count.

And this sprint thing has locked it all up for Max to win. Perfect for Red Bull. Good chance for the McLarens too, although they looked quite slow behind Valtteri and Max, dropping way back.
jolihokistix is online now  
Old 11th Sep 2021, 19:00
  #10013 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: heathrow
Posts: 53
Originally Posted by jolihokistix View Post
If Hamilton is not the ROCK antelope, it’s because he is not the complete all-rounder.
How many rubbish starts under pressure have we seen from him? Too many to count.
Well, if that's too difficult for you to count, why not count the number of wins he has had when starting in pole position?
I'll give you a clue. It's almost 50% more than the next in line for the record.
747 jock is offline  
Old 11th Sep 2021, 19:33
  #10014 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by 747 jock View Post
Well, if that's too difficult for you to count, why not count the number of wins he has had when starting in pole position?
I'll give you a clue. It's almost 50% more than the next in line for the record.
Lewis is an excellent driver, who has won 99 races but he has driven his whole career in the best car on the grid. This season he is putt under severe pressure and so far he has made numerous mistakes. Next year with George it is going to be very interesting.

Still, he has the fastest car tomorrow, overtaking is possible at Monza and I would bot be surprised if Lewis wins.
SaulGoodman is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2021, 04:59
  #10015 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 862
This famous ‘sprint’ (to nowhere) seems to sap the quality and integrity of qualifications, placing the legitimate results into a ‘nother chance’ tombola, awarding points to the winner of the tombola and not to the timed qualifications.
As an added bonus the tombola winner gets to start the race on pole, which often means a race victory.
jolihokistix is online now  
Old 12th Sep 2021, 06:30
  #10016 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Yakima
Posts: 148
Originally Posted by jolihokistix View Post
This famous ‘sprint’ (to nowhere) seems to sap the quality and integrity of qualifications, placing the legitimate results into a ‘nother chance’ tombola, awarding points to the winner of the tombola and not to the timed qualifications.
As an added bonus the tombola winner gets to start the race on pole, which often means a race victory.
Had to google 'tombola', lottery, but sort of have to agree. This 'qualifying' race is, as we say in the US of A, bull shyte. Except we substitute an I for the Y and drop the E.
Winemaker is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2021, 07:52
  #10017 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Northumberland
Posts: 6,077
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
This season he is putt under severe pressure and so far he has made numerous mistakes. Next year with George it is going to be very interesting.
The Mercedes certainly wasn't the fastest car when he moved.
SWBKCB is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2021, 08:20
  #10018 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by jolihokistix View Post
This famous ‘sprint’ (to nowhere) seems to sap the quality and integrity of qualifications, placing the legitimate results into a ‘nother chance’ tombola, awarding points to the winner of the tombola and not to the timed qualifications.
As an added bonus the tombola winner gets to start the race on pole, which often means a race victory.
so far Silverstone and Monza sprint quali wasn’t a tombola/lottery. Both sprints were proper races and I must say I actually think it is a great idea which I didn’t expect. Only saturdays practise is utterly useless now.

The start in Hungary, that was a tombola!
SaulGoodman is offline  
Old 12th Sep 2021, 14:43
  #10019 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 862
Why on EARTH did they not leave Lewis out on the hard?

Surely the whole point of the hards was that he could go long on them!?!?!?!
jolihokistix is online now  
Old 12th Sep 2021, 14:53
  #10020 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 162
Originally Posted by jolihokistix View Post
Why on EARTH did they not leave Lewis out on the hard?

Surely the whole point of the hards was that he could go long on them!?!?!?!
I was thinking exactly the same! It didn’t make any sense to me. What a great out-lap by Max. I am glad I am not one of the stewards. Max “predominantly at fault”?

Go Daniel!
SaulGoodman is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.