Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

Formula 1

Old 15th Dec 2020, 06:40
  #9001 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 12,129
There are only 20 seats and one to two new drivers coming through from F2 each year. So, hard as it ma6 sound, having had his shot in a top team, would it be fair to them, or Alpha Tauri, to give Albion another year in one of their seats?

I thought Magnussen was very honest during his interview on Sky about leaving F1 for Chip Ganassi racing in the USA - after years at the back of the grid you miss winning and the chance to lead a race.
ORAC is online now  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 15:58
  #9002 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 210
I don't think Albon was ready for RedBull and he certainly was not ready to have Mad Max as his team mate. He will be the third junior that RB have chewed up and spat out. Some of the newbies to F1 need a bit of nurturing and RB are not good at this. They expect all their drivers to be mad and bad straight out of F2 like Max. It just isn't like that. RB have a responsibility for the mess they have created out of Albon. A year in Alpha Tauri is the least they can do for him.
WB627 is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 16:29
  #9003 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Forest
Posts: 132
Williams have released a statement saying Sir Frank has bee admitted to hospital. Currently in a stable condition but they won't say any more at the moment.
AeroSpark is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 20:21
  #9004 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Location: Norwich
Posts: 26
Originally Posted by WB627 View Post
I don't think Albon was ready for RedBull and he certainly was not ready to have Mad Max as his team mate. He will be the third junior that RB have chewed up and spat out. Some of the newbies to F1 need a bit of nurturing and RB are not good at this. They expect all their drivers to be mad and bad straight out of F2 like Max. It just isn't like that. RB have a responsibility for the mess they have created out of Albon. A year in Alpha Tauri is the least they can do for him.
Max didn't do GP2. Red Bull stuck him in Toro Rosso straight after GP3. He didn't even win the championship at GP3 either. Finished 3rd.
Non Linear Gear is offline  
Old 15th Dec 2020, 22:12
  #9005 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 210

WB627 is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2020, 05:46
  #9006 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Bonvoy Marriott
Posts: 153
Originally Posted by Non Linear Gear View Post
Max didn't do GP2. Red Bull stuck him in Toro Rosso straight after GP3. He didn't even win the championship at GP3 either. Finished 3rd.
He did had 9 or 10 DNF’s if I recall correctly that season. He did however win more races than Ocon, who finished first. Ocon is / was very consistent, but didn’t have the pure speed as does Max.

Max did beat Albon in the same car 17-0. Albon consitently finished 40 seconds later than his teammate. He had more than one season to prove himself capable of a RB driver. He also didn’t show any progression. Gasly performed really well after his delegation and matured immensely. Tsunoda has shown he is very capable. Other than some Thai influence I do not see any reason to keep Albon in F1.

Perez is a strange story. Lacked the raw talent and is a paid driver. But did some great things in the pink Mercedes. Is he really that good or was the “2019 Mercedes” just a great car? If the latter this does mean that Lance is seriously lacking. I do believe though that Perez deserves a seat in F1, he should get one in the RB.
SaulGoodman is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2020, 09:56
  #9007 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,709
Yuki Tsunoda confirmed at Alpha Tauri for 2021.

That means there are only 2 seats left... Mercedes, which will almost certainly go to Hamilton, and Red Bull, which is allegedly already Perez's, but awaiting confirmation from the team.

Unless Haas decide to get rid of the skidmark that is Mazepin. Mercedes dropped him so fast but Haas are clearly money-whores who value dollars above all else. Callum Ilott would be a worthy driver for that second Haas seat.
LlamaFarmer is online now  
Old 16th Dec 2020, 11:45
  #9008 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere flat
Posts: 135
Callum Ilott to serve as Ferrari test driver.
goofer3 is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2020, 12:20
  #9009 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: Norfolk
Posts: 0
Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
Max did beat Albon in the same car 17-0. Albon consitently finished 40 seconds later than his teammate. He had more than one season to prove himself capable of a RB driver. He also didn’t show any progression........ Other than some Thai influence I do not see any reason to keep Albon in F1.
I've got nothing against Albon. Seems a nice kid. But a couple of solid drives in the last few races can't disguise a general poor performance throughout the season. He seems accident prone, struggles with track limits, consistently underperformed in qualifying. He was actually lapped by his own teammate at least once, and I still remember him complaining over the radio during one race where he was struggling to fend off the ATs.

Originally Posted by SaulGoodman View Post
Perez is a strange story. Lacked the raw talent and is a paid driver. But did some great things in the pink Mercedes. Is he really that good or was the “2019 Mercedes” just a great car? If the latter this does mean that Lance is seriously lacking. I do believe though that Perez deserves a seat in F1, he should get one in the RB.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Perez was once part of Ferrari's academy, and they took a very close look at him before deciding he wasn't going to make the grade. He nevertheless went on to establish himself with some eye catching performances with Sauber in his early career. I think the reality is that he's a good driver rather than a great one, but put him in a good car and he'll get results, which is what happened. It's Stroll who's a bit of an enigma to me. I don't think he's hysterically incompetent, but at the same time I think he is of limited ability in racing terms. Put him in a fast car with limited traffic around him and he'll do OK. He's had some decent results this season simply because he was able to keep the car on track and keep going when things were going wrong for others or safety cars mixed things up. But I struggle to be convinced that he would get a drive with anyone on merit.
Kev Agamemnon is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2020, 16:23
  #9010 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Planet Earth
Posts: 16
Looking forward to a more exciting season next year, hopefully with more winners. Among other things, I hope Russell gets a (any) better drive too.
geo10 is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2020, 17:39
  #9011 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 2,709
Originally Posted by Kev Agamemnon View Post
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Perez was once part of Ferrari's academy, and they took a very close look at him before deciding he wasn't going to make the grade. He nevertheless went on to establish himself with some eye catching performances with Sauber in his early career. I think the reality is that he's a good driver rather than a great one, but put him in a good car and he'll get results, which is what happened. It's Stroll who's a bit of an enigma to me. I don't think he's hysterically incompetent, but at the same time I think he is of limited ability in racing terms. Put him in a fast car with limited traffic around him and he'll do OK. He's had some decent results this season simply because he was able to keep the car on track and keep going when things were going wrong for others or safety cars mixed things up. But I struggle to be convinced that he would get a drive with anyone on merit.

I might be wrong... but I'm sure I read or heard somewhere, that, at the time there was a huge amount of interest in Perez, from Ferrari, McLaren and maybe either Red Bull or Mercedes (before they signed Hamilton).
And Perez chose to go with McLaren, thinking it was the best car and opportunity.

Obviously that didn't work out so well. Had he gone with a different team, perhaps it would have all worked out differently.
LlamaFarmer is online now  
Old 16th Dec 2020, 20:03
  #9012 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: New Forest
Posts: 132
Originally Posted by Kev Agamemnon View Post
I've got nothing against Albon. Seems a nice kid. But a couple of solid drives in the last few races can't disguise a general poor performance throughout the season. He seems accident prone, struggles with track limits, consistently underperformed in qualifying. He was actually lapped by his own teammate at least once, and I still remember him complaining over the radio during one race where he was struggling to fend off the ATs.
.
He also led grand prix until he was taken out by the world champ, and made a good few passes of other/better drivers, usually round the outside where few other drivers would try. He's got talent, he's just in the wrong team. RB are very much geared to Max, as they were with Vettell. Albon has clearly struggled to get the car set up to his liking and I expect hasn't had a huge amount of support from the team. Personally I thik he was 'promoted' too quickly, and another spell at AT would do for him what it has for Gasly. Will be interesting to see how long they give Tsunoda to perform given Alex is now waiting in the wings as it were
AeroSpark is offline  
Old 16th Dec 2020, 20:14
  #9013 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Mar 2017
Location: Martian
Posts: 67
Originally Posted by LlamaFarmer View Post
I might be wrong... but I'm sure I read or heard somewhere, that, at the time there was a huge amount of interest in Perez, from Ferrari, McLaren and maybe either Red Bull or Mercedes (before they signed Hamilton).
And Perez chose to go with McLaren, thinking it was the best car and opportunity.

Obviously that didn't work out so well. Had he gone with a different team, perhaps it would have all worked out differently.
Cast your mind back and you'll find when he first got into F1 with McLaren, he practised a very 'entitled' style of racing which other teams, including the one he had, did not wish to participate in......
packapoo is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2020, 00:05
  #9014 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Japan
Posts: 851
In this last race in the pink Mercedes I suspect he went for broke. He looked great for a bit, and that's what he got, smoke and broke.

Some drivers treat the car respectfully; others will keep on testing and breaking it until it is strong enough to carry them. Perez had no such worries.
jolihokistix is online now  
Old 17th Dec 2020, 11:55
  #9015 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,295
Originally Posted by packapoo View Post
Cast your mind back and you'll find when he first got into F1 with McLaren, he practised a very 'entitled' style of racing which other teams, including the one he had, did not wish to participate in......
He tried it at his current team as well, such as when he deliberately smacked Ocon (his team mate) into the wall in Singapore. He *should* have been sacked for that, but by them the team was financially dependant on his sponsors so they had to let it go. No one wants to be his team mate, so he will struggle to find 1st class teams that will offer him a seat. I suspect if RB do give him a seat it will mainly be to use his sponsor cash to fill the gap left by the honda departure.

PDR
PDR1 is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2020, 12:08
  #9016 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Eastern Cape, South Africa
Posts: 101
The thing I find with Perez is lack of consistency...on a good day, he is very very good, but on a bad day he is terrible!
Being fast sometimes doesnt win you a World Championship...Being consistent does, even if you dont always win...
In 1982, Keke Rosberg only won the Swiss GP (at Dijon, France!), others won 3 races...but Keke got enough points to win the Championship...
If Perez can get a bit more consistency, he may yet do great things, but not sure a Red Bull car would do it for him..
ATSA1 is offline  
Old 17th Dec 2020, 12:54
  #9017 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Farnham, Surrey
Posts: 1,295
Originally Posted by ATSA1 View Post
The thing I find with Perez is lack of consistency...on a good day, he is very very good, but on a bad day he is terrible!
I had a girlfriend like that once. When she was good she was very very good, but when she was bad she was better...



Next year is slated to be the busiest year ever in F1 (I suspect to help bring some cash back into the teams and venues after an expensive 2020). I do wonder who will crack under the strain - drivers will find the drumbeat pace of the season bad enough, but the teams may find it relentless in terms of people, consumable materiel, upgrade/damage parts supply and logistics. I suspect we may see some teams operating two or more "away teams" to give the staff R&R time.

PDR
PDR1 is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2020, 09:46
  #9018 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 12,129
iNEOS has just announced that they have bought a 30% stake in the Mercedes F1 team.

Toto Wolff t9 remain as team principal - and in that basis I also assume Hamilton will sign for at least the next year.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/15...ains-principal

Chemicals company INEOS has become a one-third shareholder in the Mercedes Formula 1 squad as part of a new deal that commits Toto Wolff to remaining as team principal......

On Friday it was confirmed that ownership of the team would now be split three ways, with equal parts taken by Mercedes, INEOS and Wolff. The deal means that Mercedes has diluted its previous 60% ownership of the team, while Wolff has increased his share up from 30%.

As part of the arrangements, Mercedes boss Wolff has committed to staying on as team principal and CEO for the next three years, with the potential to move to a different executive role after that......

The INEOS deal also further reaffirms Mercedes' commitment to F1, with the company clear that the team will continue to race under the German manufacturer brand.

Ola Kallenius, Mercedes chairman, said: "We remain firmly committed to Formula 1, and the forthcoming cost cap along with the new shareholding structure put us in an even stronger position for continued success. With an even closer alignment to our Mercedes-AMG performance division beginning in 2021, and Toto's continued leadership in the coming years, the future is bright for Mercedes-Benz in Formula 1."



ORAC is online now  
Old 18th Dec 2020, 13:27
  #9019 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Somewhere flat
Posts: 135
Perez to Red Bull.
https://formula1news.co.uk/
goofer3 is offline  
Old 18th Dec 2020, 13:49
  #9020 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: East Sussex
Posts: 210
Originally Posted by goofer3 View Post
Perez to Red Bull.
https://formula1news.co.uk/
Perez & Mad Max, Horner must be bonkers it will be like Prost & Senna, only not as friendly
WB627 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.