Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK politics - Hamsterwheel

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK politics - Hamsterwheel

Old 31st Jul 2018, 17:14
  #15261 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 342
Pax
​​​ I wouldn't make this just about Brexit.
Even without that crisis approaching, we haven't a clue where the country is heading. We are leaderless, apparently governed by mindless morons influenced by social media and thinking only of their personal positions after the next election.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 17:31
  #15262 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 943
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
Pax
​​​ I wouldn't make this just about Brexit.
Even without that crisis approaching, we haven't a clue where the country is heading. We are leaderless, apparently governed by mindless morons influenced by social media and thinking only of their personal positions after the next election.
Speaking of which, here's the latest foray regarding attracting the younger voter.......alas, the Tory age for being classed as young is when you get a telegram from Buck House.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...es-merchandise
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 21:25
  #15263 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips View Post
Speaking of which, here's the latest foray regarding attracting the younger voter.......alas, the Tory age for being classed as young is when you get a telegram from Buck House.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...es-merchandise
I suspect the average age of the tory voter is somewhat less than 100, but if it satisfies your fantasy world so be it.
Yet again your interpretation of the linked article is somewhat at odds with the written word. (Surpringly there didn't seem to be any incorrectly spelt words--a first for the Grauniad? )
Harley Quinn is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 21:35
  #15264 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Canada
Posts: 451
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
We are leaderless, apparently governed by mindless morons influenced by social media and thinking only of their personal positions after the next election.
After twenty years of rule by Brussels, you have two parties whose 'leaders' were only expecting to be passing whatever laws the EU sent them to rubber-stamp.

So it's not really a big surprise that they're unable to actually make decisions and get things done when there's no-one to tell them what to do.
MG23 is offline  
Old 31st Jul 2018, 23:29
  #15265 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: A little south of the "Black Sheep" brewery
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by MG23 View Post
After twenty years of rule by Brussels, you have two parties whose 'leaders' were only expecting to be passing whatever laws the EU sent them to rubber-stamp.

So it's not really a big surprise that they're unable to actually make decisions and get things done when there's no-one to tell them what to do.
Spot on!!!
Trossie is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 06:26
  #15266 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 72
Posts: 784
How's this for a theory then?
Perhaps Corbyn is telling his party they don't have to do anything, other than sit back and watch the government fail. Then would come their opportunity. If I was running a political opposition, that would certainly be my tactic. "Watch the buggers fail and help them fail where possible".
KelvinD is online now  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 06:47
  #15267 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: The Winchester
Posts: 5,574
After twenty years of rule by Brussels, you have two parties whose 'leaders' were only expecting to be passing whatever laws the EU sent them to rubber-stamp.
Ah the old excuse something in the U.K. isn’t working or isn’t popular... blame Brussels....

The rest of the EU has managed in general to carry on passing and enforcing it’s own national legislation when it has suited them....

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...it-jeremy-hunt
wiggy is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 06:59
  #15268 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: n/a
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
...We have no effective leadership anywhere in our elected Parliament. We have an ineffective government and at the same time an ineffective opposition. In my memory and in my reading of history this is almost unheard of.
We are approaching a time of national crisis, and no-one seems to have a clear view of where we are going...
Mrs May has a clear view. To deliver a Red, White & Blue Brexit.

Wales = RED Ration Book.

England = WHITE Ration Book.

Scotland = BLUE Ration Book.

Hope this helps.

As for those last remaining outposts of British colonialism - residents in the north of Ireland & Gibraltar voted by a clear majority to remain in the European Union because they identify as Europeans. No confusion about taking back control of borders for them. They’re living in the real world. Therefore, the options in their case (post Brexit) are to apply for an Irish/Spanish passport respectively, or relocate to mainland Britain.

Other news on the Home Front. The devaluation of sterling, 30% rise on food prices, negative interest on current accounts and so forth, will be a price worth paying according to Messrs Johnson & Gove. Another point of view is that abandoning seventy years of post war prosperity on the toss of a coin, is bordering on insanity.
sfm818 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 07:10
  #15269 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: A little south of the "Black Sheep" brewery
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by wiggy View Post

...

The rest of the EU has managed in general to carry on passing and enforcing it’s own national legislation when it has suited them....

Really??!!
Trossie is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 07:13
  #15270 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: A little south of the "Black Sheep" brewery
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
How's this for a theory then?
Perhaps Corbyn is telling his party they don't have to do anything, other than sit back and watch the government fail. Then would come their opportunity. If I was running a political opposition, that would certainly be my tactic. "Watch the buggers fail and help them fail where possible".
Or maybe the Tories are telling their people that they don't have to do anything, other than sit back and watch Labour fail?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-45027582
Yes, "Watch the buggers fail and help them fail where possible"!
Trossie is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 07:17
  #15271 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: A little south of the "Black Sheep" brewery
Posts: 381
Originally Posted by sfm818 View Post
Mrs May has a clear view. To deliver a Red, White & Blue Brexit.

Wales = RED Ration Book.

England = WHITE Ration Book.

Scotland = BLUE Ration Book.

Hope this helps.

As for those last remaining outposts of British colonialism - residents in the north of Ireland & Gibraltar voted by a clear majority to remain in the European Union because they identify as Europeans. No confusion about taking back control of borders for them. They’re living in the real world. Therefore, the options in their case (post Brexit) are to apply for an Irish/Spanish passport respectively, or relocate to mainland Britain.

Other news on the Home Front. The devaluation of sterling, 30% rise on food prices, negative interest on current accounts and so forth, will be a price worth paying according to Messrs Johnson & Gove. Another point of view is that abandoning seventy years of post war prosperity on the toss of a coin, is bordering on insanity.
Ahhh..

The
brigade out again!!

Remember how we were told that the world would end immediately after a 'leave' result at the referendum!

Bless them, they're trying hard!
Trossie is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 07:18
  #15272 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,274
“...a walking shadow; a poor player, that struts and frets his hour upon the stage, and then is heard no more: it is a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing....

https://www.ft.com/content/483d9aa2-...b-b8205561c3fe

Brussels willing to accept ‘fudge’ on Brexit pact

The EU is willing to “fudge” crucial Brexit negotiations — and offer Britain a vague blueprint for future ties with the bloc — if it helps Theresa May avoid a “no deal” outcome and win parliamentary backing for a withdrawal treaty........

The declaration on future ties will not be a formal treaty, in contrast with the withdrawal agreement, which spells out legally binding divorce terms on money, citizen rights and the Irish border. A fudge would make the declaration an aspirational statement designed to placate Westminster’s warring factions, rather than a blueprint for future trade talks........

Another senior EU official said: “The political declaration cannot violate our principles. But with the rest, whatever helps pass a withdrawal bill is fine.” A third EU government minister handling Brexit said: “We will do what is necessary to save the withdrawal treaty”........
The main condition would be a watertight backstop arrangement, enshrined in the withdrawal treaty, to avoid a hard border dividing the island of Ireland under all circumstances. Such measures would in practice keep much of Northern Ireland’s economy under EU legal control, something Mrs May has said is intolerable.

“As long as you have the backstop, then you say in the new partnership declaration we will strive for a customs partnership that will make the backstop irrelevant,” said the senior EU diplomat. “You can strive for many things.” The political declaration cannot violate our principles. The diplomat added: “You can talk about many things because the backstop is the insurance if all these nice perspectives don't work out.”........

Some EU negotiators worry that a vague statement on future relations will store up trouble. “Creating a big fudge via a political declaration will create the impression that there is some kind of link into the single market where in reality there is not,” one negotiator said, while adding. “Politicians will love kicking the can down the road.”
ORAC is online now  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 07:24
  #15273 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: n/a
Posts: 15
Originally Posted by Trossie View Post
Ahhh..
Let it all out Trossie. You're in a safe pace.
sfm818 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 07:45
  #15274 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 68
Posts: 905
May is to meet Macron at his holiday retreat, Fort de Brégançon, where she will no doubt receive her latest batch of instructions.
sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 08:04
  #15275 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: The Green Heart of Europe!
Age: 61
Posts: 233
Originally Posted by Trossie View Post
Really??!!
YES!
CargoMatatu is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 08:11
  #15276 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 67
Posts: 60
My guess is that both Tories and Labour are emptying the let the others fail tactic. For the electorate it's like trying to sell their votes by auction and finding that both parties refuse to move a muscle.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 08:23
  #15277 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,274
I see McDonnell and Labour have found their money tree again - they are going to put a Universal Basic Income in their next manifesto.

As the article says says it has been tried elsewhere, such as in Finland. What is fails to say is that it proved an expensive failure each time and had to be withdrawn.

The theory being that, liberated from the need to earn money, people will find ways to help their community and contribute to the economy in other ways - rather than spend it on food, booze, fags and Netflix. What could go wrong with that?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...-a8471616.html

ORAC is online now  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 08:56
  #15278 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 342
Originally Posted by wiggy View Post
Ah the old excuse something in the U.K. isn’t working or isn’t popular... blame Brussels....
What will the excuse be in a couple of years when we have 'taken back control'?
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 09:05
  #15279 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 943
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
What will the excuse be in a couple of years when we have 'taken back control'?
Probably the same as retrospectively blaming Labour even if they haven't actually been in Gov't for a while. The EU legacy of being a convenient scapegoat will linger on for many years.

Of course, in a couple of years, the chickens, chlorinated or otherwise, should have long since started to come home to roost.....probably on the M26 truck stop.

However, there are more serious issues within the UK to contend with.....the fragmentation is imminent and getting closer to UDI every year. I agree with the last but one paragraph, but, alas, thereafter it's that true Yorkshire ethos coming to the fore.

Sadly, crocodiles are not native to the UK or they could swim in the moat surrounding the County borders, the wall could be imported from the USA and the machine gun posts from well, just about anywhere in the world really.

And the civilised parts of the UK could breath a huge sigh of relief when the County and the population become annexed ( apart from two cricket matches a year ) thereafter.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...nd-wilfra-tart

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 1st Aug 2018 at 09:26.
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 1st Aug 2018, 09:19
  #15280 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Dreamland
Posts: 545
Originally Posted by wiggy View Post


Ah the old excuse something in the U.K. isn’t working or isn’t popular... blame Brussels....

The rest of the EU has managed in general to carry on passing and enforcing it’s own national legislation when it has suited them....

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...it-jeremy-hunt
Reading your link it seems to be an article by some celeb espousing his views, which is fair enough, it's a free country.
Suggesting it proves other EU countries are passing their own legislation is the most generous misinterpretation possible. It's a rant against Jeremy Hunt, nothing more.
Harley Quinn is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.