Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK politics - Hamsterwheel

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK politics - Hamsterwheel

Old 29th Apr 2018, 21:10
  #14261 (permalink)  
Gnome de PPRuNe
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Too close to Croydon for comfort
Age: 56
Posts: 6,169
Amber Rudd resigns as home secretary - BBC News
treadigraph is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 21:18
  #14262 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Москва/Ташкент
Age: 50
Posts: 805
Originally Posted by treadigraph View Post

And now lets wait for the domino effect
flash8 is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 21:24
  #14263 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,437
There's a limit to how long anyone is going to be willing to carry the can for their boss' misdeeds. I'm not surprised that she decided "sod this for a game of soldiers".

And now that May's human shield has removed herself ...
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 21:57
  #14264 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,904
ďHuman shield..?Ē You might reflect that when these policies originated, Labour commitment to tackling illegal immigration closely mirrored that of the Conservatives.

In answer to your point on evidence, you could start with the verdict of the Election Commission into Mayor Rahman of Tower Hamlets. There were probably (exact numbers unlikely ever to be known) hundreds of instances of impersonation and postal vote fraud in that case alone.
ShotOne is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 22:46
  #14265 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,437
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
“Human shield..?” You might reflect that when these policies originated, Labour commitment to tackling illegal immigration closely mirrored that of the Conservatives.
Yes I know - Labour and Tories trying to out-Nazi each other is absolutely disgusting. But the fact that Labour were in it too doesn't mean that May isn't responsible for her own policies.
Originally Posted by ShotOne View Post
In answer to your point on evidence, you could start with the verdict of the Election Commission into Mayor Rahman of Tower Hamlets. There were probably (exact numbers unlikely ever to be known) hundreds of instances of impersonation and postal vote fraud in that case alone.
Large numbers of postal vote fraud, yes, as I said earlier, but I don't recall reading of proven large numbers of "personation in person" (the offence isn't called "impersonation" - https://www.electoralcommission.org....offences.pdf).
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 23:39
  #14266 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 72
Posts: 784
ShotOne: You seem to have a similar grasp to this affair as did the lying Ms Rudd. This term "illegal immigration" has been wrongly (willfully perhaps) applied to the those people at the centre of this storm. To quote Mrs May at the dispatch box this week; "These people were not illegal immigrants"! Yet they were treated as such. They were low hanging fruit, easy to pick off. As they were not illegal, they were not hiding away, they were working, paying taxes etc quite lawfully yet the Home Office spotted a way to label them as illegal and screw them up wholesale. Genuine illegal immigrants do not deserve to be here and any government would focus on such. Mind you, now the Windrush saga is being cleared up, what's the betting this government will go for the asylum seekers next? Pretty easy targets.
KelvinD is offline  
Old 29th Apr 2018, 23:58
  #14267 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Posts: 1,293
Unhappy

Amber Rudd has submitted her resignation
I've just read it - it should have been signed after the fifth paragraph. The rest is like a CV extolling her virtues whilst in office. Where do they get these people from?
reynoldsno1 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 05:13
  #14268 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: EGNX country
Age: 64
Posts: 215
Just checked. The sun still came up this morning.
handsfree is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 06:45
  #14269 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,278
Funny old life. Letter in tiday’s Times

“Sir, Your leading article (“After Windrush”, Apr 27) rightly seeks to reopen the debate about identity cards.

Theresa May’s ideological and unwise decision to ditch the Labour government’s scheme immediately she took office as home secretary has left her and her beleaguered successor with no idea how to tackle the most pernicious form of immigration: illegal entry, usually organised by people traffickers.

The problem will become worse when we “take back control” and lose the institutional cooperation of our European neighbours that has done so much to block cross-border crime.

Biometric cards remain the best way to prove and so protect a citizen’s identity, which is why most major European countries have them.

When Empire Windrush docked in 1948 at Tilbury, its passengers landed in a country that until 1952 had an identity card system. Possibly that is why some felt that they didn’t need to retain any other paperwork. Then, organised people trafficking hardly existed. Today it flourishes and will become worse when Britain leaves the EU.

It’s time to put identity cards back on the political agenda and give everyone confidence that those using our services are fully entitled to do so.

The RT Hon Charles Clarke
Home Secretary 2004-06

The RT Hon Alan Johnson
Home Secretary 2009-10



ORAC is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 07:28
  #14270 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,437
Originally Posted by ORAC View Post
"Itís time to put identity cards back on the political agenda"
Translation: "once we've got out from under the EU's nasty nanny-state human rights bollocks, we can do whatever we like in the direction of implementing a police state."
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 07:32
  #14271 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Clarty Waters, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 910
Originally Posted by handsfree View Post
Just checked. The sun still came up this morning.
Thatís the thing, isnít it.

Ministerial resignations are a fact of political life. They happen to all governments and life goes on. I wonder how many people would even recognise Ms Rudd? In a couple of weeks it will probably be forgotten.
Andy_S is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 08:17
  #14272 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southwold
Age: 67
Posts: 60
I could get dear more excited about Ms. Rudd's demise were there a realistic prospect of replacing her with somebody more competent. However given the state of the current administration, combined with that of the opposition front bench I can see no likelihood of that occurring, probably within my lifetime.
Effluent Man is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 08:28
  #14273 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 343
How right you are!
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 08:40
  #14274 (permalink)  
Ecce Homo! Loquitur...
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: Peripatetic
Posts: 10,278
Gertrude,

Are you suggesting that is the secret intention of the Labour Party if they regain power?

Both signatories of the letter being ex-Labour party Home Secretaries....
ORAC is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 08:46
  #14275 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 68
Posts: 906
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
Translation: "once we've got out from under the EU's nasty nanny-state human rights bollocks, we can do whatever we like in the direction of implementing a police state."
National ID cards are issued in every EU country except Denmark, Ireland and the UK. Therefore, by your logic, it is the majority of the EU that is the "police state", not the UK.
sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 08:49
  #14276 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: se england
Posts: 1,172
I agree on the incompetence factor -aalmost everyone in Cabinet and much of the shadow cabinet apear to be usekless.

Was Rudd, a determined Stayer, stitched up by the Quitters who are a minority in Mays cabinet but in their evil media friends

Did she jump to preserve TM who is the one at fault as this all happened on her watch, all Rudd did was not read a memo-which she should have.

Is a Euro Nanny state worse than a right wing police state -some on here suggest that it seems-and indeed how many so called Nanny State acts actually benefit most of the population anyway

Is it time for the treacherous Gove to be appointed to a bigger job,

who knows-probably TM doesnt herself as she waits for instructions from the Daily Mail and the Sun
pax britanica is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 09:42
  #14277 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: London/Oxford/New York
Posts: 2,276
pax britanica,
Well, thankfully the facts have just disproved the vast majority of your post. Sajid Javid could be a labour MP when you read his bio, until you get to his CV.
pr00ne is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 10:19
  #14278 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 68
Posts: 906
Caution, may be distressing to Labour supporters.

Diane Abbott's latest car crash performance.

sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 10:47
  #14279 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: se england
Posts: 1,172
PrOOne
Well I am glad that some of my suggestions didnt work out but being responsible for Govts response to Grenfell isnt exactly something most people would ant on their CV .
As for the Eu aspect thats bit of a fence sitting picture with Javed-a Stayer whose a Eurosceptic .-I suppose that puts him down as a sort of neutral on the issue
No doubt about my concerns about the shadow side of things with Diane Abbot being the biggest liability imaginable for Labour
Will Labour now go after Mrs M after all the nasty stuff all happened on her watch although some goes back to the last days of Brown.

Now it just remains for Boris to exclaim 'of cause we in the conservative party are not racist we have a P### in the Cabinet
pax britanica is offline  
Old 30th Apr 2018, 12:41
  #14280 (permalink)  
Cunning Artificer
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: The spiritual home of DeHavilland
Age: 72
Posts: 3,110
I'd like to know which, if any, of the deportees have been unfairly treated and in what way.

The average unemployment rate in UK in 1948 was 1.8% which is generally accepted as being "full employment" and low wage, and/or low skill jobs were not popular with the native population. The "Windrush" migrants were foreign nationals "invited" to come over to help with that labour shortage in UK. The children who came with them were, like their parents, foreign nationals under the 1948 Nationality Act and, if they have not since qualified for and formally taken UK citizenship, they remain foreigners. The statements being bandied about in the press and the media - and especially by the MP for Tottenham, Immigration Lawyer David Lammy - invariably describe the "victims" as being deprived of their citizenship. The plain fact is that if they were ever British citizens they would have their certificates of registration or nationalisation or else they were born here and have British birth certificates. I doubt if anyone who falls into those categories have been deported, only those who cannot provide documentary evidence of a right to remain - as required under the 1981 Nationality Act.
Blacksheep is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.