Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK politics - Hamsterwheel

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK politics - Hamsterwheel

Old 21st Feb 2018, 13:27
  #13761 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
What would we do with all those tractors anyway? Once we sign the trade deal with the US they will be dumping their chemically enhanced "food" on us much cheaper than we can produce it ourselves.

(And I haven't mentioned it either)
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 21st Feb 2018, 13:32
  #13762 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Sallyann1234 View Post
What would we do with all those tractors anyway? Once we sign the trade deal with the US they will be dumping their chemically enhanced "food" on us much cheaper than we can produce it ourselves.

(And I haven't mentioned it either)
There will be no trade deal - except with Venezuela..........
Highway1 is offline  
Old 21st Feb 2018, 20:20
  #13763 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,435
Originally Posted by Highway1 View Post
There will be no trade deal - except with Venezuela..........
... we will have no option but to do a deal with the USA, there won't be any other buyers for the NHS ...
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 21st Feb 2018, 22:47
  #13764 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Gertrude the Wombat View Post
... we will have no option but to do a deal with the USA, there won't be any other buyers for the NHS ...

Who would want to buy the NHS?
Highway1 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 07:08
  #13765 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 68
Posts: 458
Like with everything there is always more to the story, people talk as if we don't trade with USA and other countries around the world at the moment, which we do, quite a lot, also the USA's medical companies have been involved with the NHS for years, of course that is if one believes everything in the Guardian is actually gospel:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...gly-privatised
Exrigger is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 08:16
  #13766 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 68
Posts: 910
Diane Abbott talking about Enoch Powell's famous speech.

"I remember Enoch Powellís speech, I think I was in primary school, and I wasnít following it in huge detail, but I do remember how I felt.
People were talking about it even in school and I felt frightened. I didnít quite know why, I didnít know exactly what had been said, but I felt frightened."

She was born in 1953 and the speech was made in 1968, which would make her 15yo at the time. Held back for remedial maths?
sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 08:38
  #13767 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Hampshire
Age: 72
Posts: 795
No. She said "I think I was in primary.." The operative word here being "think"; in other words there is an element of uncertainty.
Remedial reading for you my lad!
KelvinD is online now  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 08:44
  #13768 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
This is why we should be concerned about a trade deal with the US.
The EU has held back from signing such a deal. Will the UK be strong enough to do so?
What is TTIP? And six reasons why the answer should scare you | The Independent
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 08:47
  #13769 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Clarty Waters, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 911
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
in other words there is an element of uncertainty.

With Diane Abbot, thatís generally an understatement.....
Andy_S is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 09:02
  #13770 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 68
Posts: 910
Originally Posted by KelvinD View Post
No. She said "I think I was in primary.." The operative word here being "think"; in other words there is an element of uncertainty.
Remedial reading for you my lad!
Desperate stuff, truly desperate.

"Thinking" is probably the least of her attributes. There is ls also the possibility that, in a pathetic attempt to signal her "right on" credentials, she made the whole story up!

Hopefully the private schooling her son received will provide a better education than his Left Wing Socialist mother achieved.
sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 09:13
  #13771 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: Clarty Waters, UK
Age: 54
Posts: 911
Originally Posted by sitigeltfel View Post
"Thinking" is probably the least of her attributes.
This is the thing.

By her own admission she canít remember where she was. By her own admission she wasnít really following the story. By her own admission she canít even remember what was saidÖÖÖ.
Andy_S is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 09:25
  #13772 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by Exrigger View Post
Like with everything there is always more to the story, people talk as if we don't trade with USA and other countries around the world at the moment, which we do, quite a lot, also the USA's medical companies have been involved with the NHS for years, of course that is if one believes everything in the Guardian is actually gospel:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...gly-privatised
As you correctly say, we have been doing trade deals with the USA for some time.

Here's a little appetiser for a future proposed deal....

https://www.theguardian.com/animals-...chicken-plants

As it's from the Guardian, you can rest assured as to the veracity, although to be fair, there were / are a few establishments located on a certain High Street you are not unfamiliar with that I recall as being ahead of the game here.

We look forward to the politicians promoting these culinary delights doing a reprise of one John Selwyn Gummer eating, along with his co-opted family, beefburgers to vainly attempt to dispel the so called myth of "mad cow disease " at the time....despite the proven link.

Bon appetit !
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 09:40
  #13773 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 68
Posts: 458
Cheers KnC,

I would hope that the UK will work with/convince the USA to up its game in this regard, as even they don't seem to want these standards to continue, one pertinent point from the article, that hopefully supports that premis:

Kerry McCarthy, former UK shadow environment minister and Labour MP, called for urgent reassurances from both the UK Food Standards Agency (FSA) and “the top of government” that standards would not be allowed to slip as trade negotiations with the US get underway.

“We cannot allow this to be a race to the bottom. We should insist the US raises its standards, and guarantees food safety, before we are prepared to allow in US meat imports,” she said. McCarthy has written to the environment secretary, Michael Gove, and Liam Fox, the trade secretary, to raise the matter.
Another point, why would we need to suddenly import these products from the USA, are all current sources, including the UK's own farmers, going to cease? or, do people believe that the USA want to dump its meat on us as part of any deal, if so does that mean they are producing way more than they, and any other countries they export to currently, actually need?
Exrigger is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 11:57
  #13774 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips View Post
Here's a little appetiser for a future proposed deal....

https://www.theguardian.com/animals-...chicken-plants

As it's from the Guardian, you can rest assured as to the veracity,

Bon appetit !
Well I hope you dont eat British meat either. It's from the Guardian, you can rest assured as to the veracity.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...irs-fail-tests
Highway1 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 11:58
  #13775 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 945
Always nice to see Cupid's Curare tipped arrows find their target with such accuracy.

The perfect couple in so many respects.....

https://www.theguardian.com/politics...enfell-remarks

Last edited by Krystal n chips; 22nd Feb 2018 at 14:49.
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:02
  #13776 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Exrigger View Post
Another point, why would we need to suddenly import these products from the USA, are all current sources, including the UK's own farmers, going to cease? or, do people believe that the USA want to dump its meat on us as part of any deal, if so does that mean they are producing way more than they, and any other countries they export to currently, actually need?
The reason to allow US meat into the UK is to provide a cheaper alternative - we allow cheaper alternatives to be sold in other parts of the economy so what is special about farming?. As long as the food is fit for consumption I see no issue.
Highway1 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:10
  #13777 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Exrigger View Post
Another point, why would we need to suddenly import these products from the USA, are all current sources, including the UK's own farmers, going to cease? or, do people believe that the USA want to dump its meat on us as part of any deal, if so does that mean they are producing way more than they, and any other countries they export to currently, actually need?
We won't need to import food from the US any more than we do now.
But since the US food standards are much lower than ours they can produce the chemical/hormone impregnated stuff cheaper than our existing sources.

Food chains will buy from the cheapest source as they always have.
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:15
  #13778 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 945
Originally Posted by Highway1 View Post
The reason to allow US meat into the UK is to provide a cheaper alternative - we allow cheaper alternatives to be sold in other parts of the economy so what is special about farming?. As long as the food is fit for consumption I see no issue.
Well first, I did read the article you provided a link to, and it doesn't make pretty reading.....there again, the failings couldn't possibly be related to cuts to the public sector now could they.

You may have noticed I've underlined a few words in your post.

You are correct, if the food is fit for consumption there isn't an issue....unfortunately however.....
Krystal n chips is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:19
  #13779 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: England
Posts: 349
Originally Posted by Highway1 View Post
Well I hope you dont eat British meat either. It's from the Guardian, you can rest assured as to the veracity.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...irs-fail-tests
It's good to see that the Food Standards Agency is inspecting UK abbatoirs and bringing these failures to light.

Will they be able to inspect US abbatoirs in the same way? Will they rely on promises that the chlorine washing has been done correctly?
Sallyann1234 is offline  
Old 22nd Feb 2018, 12:50
  #13780 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: Mexico
Posts: 74
Originally Posted by Krystal n chips View Post
Well first, I did read the article you provided a link to, and it doesn't make pretty reading.....there again, the failings couldn't possibly be related to cuts to the public sector now could they.

You may have noticed I've underlined a few words in your post.

You are correct, if the food is fit for consumption there isn't an issue....unfortunately however.....
You seem to be on some kind of crusade to convince everyone that US food is unfit to eat - I have shown that the UK food system suffers from exactly the same kind of failures as the US (every country does) and as for that being due to 'cuts in the public sector' well what was the excuse when the EU food chain was contaminated by horsemeat?

If you have evidence that US meat is unfit for consumption then you should present it to the European Food Safety Agency - because at the moment they beg to differ.
Highway1 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.