Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > PPRuNe Social > Jet Blast
Reload this Page >

UK politics - Hamsterwheel

Jet Blast Topics that don't fit the other forums. Rules of Engagement apply.

UK politics - Hamsterwheel

Old 2nd Dec 2016, 22:07
  #7641 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oxon
Age: 62
Posts: 1,945
Gertrude, along with all those who voted for her must be holding their heads in hands listening to her being publicly skewered in that fashion.
Seldomfitforpurpose is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 12:15
  #7642 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Here
Age: 42
Posts: 13
Fascinating stat about the Richmond by election. Labour got less votes than it has party members in the constituency.
BadgerGrowler is offline  
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 13:01
  #7643 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: Manchester, England
Age: 53
Posts: 815
Originally Posted by BadgerGrowler View Post
Fascinating stat about the Richmond by election. Labour got less votes than it has party members in the constituency.
Ever heard of tactical voting?
Curious Pax is online now  
Old 3rd Dec 2016, 13:08
  #7644 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
Location: Cambridge, England, EU
Posts: 3,431
Fascinating stat about the Richmond by election. Labour got less votes than it has party members in the constituency.
It is rumoured that some of them were helping our campaign. But I didn't meet anyone in the office who introduced themselves as a Labour party member.

That sort of thing isn't unprecedented. There's a Tory who helps LibDem campaigns in Cambridge, because he knows the Tory will come third and he thinks a LibDem MP is less bad than a Labour one.
Gertrude the Wombat is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 05:31
  #7645 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 930
Including, as it does, a mention about Brexit, possibly one of the best summations of the UK I've ever read.....

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ude-tory-elite

Note the reference to the "right sort", a criteria much in evidence within the hearts and "minds" of many on here.... and one that is flawed from the onset.
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 05:39
  #7646 (permalink)  
Nemo Me Impune Lacessit
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Derbyshire, England.
Posts: 4,043
Note the reference to the "right sort", a criteria much in evidence within the hearts and "minds" of many on here.... and one that is flawed from the onset.
From The Guardian! Ho, Ho, Ho, joke over.
parabellum is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 09:59
  #7647 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 67
Posts: 456
K&C if you really believe that article is:

possibly one of the best summations of the UK I've ever read
Written by: Kevin McKenna who is a former deputy editor of the Herald and executive editor of the Daily Mail in Scotland, a paper you regularly direct disparaging remarks about people who post links from such a rag, and who prints such erudite articles such as some listed below.

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...colate-smoking


https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-of-the-people


From his linkedin profile appears to have no political or business background, in fact only seems to have worked his way up and around in the newspaper arena, and that makes him better than politically experienced writers in other newspapers, would it still be the best summation had he written that for the Daily Mail and one of us had posted the link.

https://uk.linkedin.com/in/kevinmckenna1963

Unless of course your articles was written by a different Kevin Mckenna.
Exrigger is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 15:56
  #7648 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: -
Posts: 503
McKenna appears to have more shades politically than most other journos. Clickbait purveyor extraordinaire.
rab-k is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 16:06
  #7649 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oxon
Age: 62
Posts: 1,945
Originally Posted by rab-k View Post
McKenna appears to have more shades politically than most other journos. Clickbait purveyor extraordinaire.
Some gullible people will swallow that sort of bait hook line and sinker every time
Seldomfitforpurpose is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 16:50
  #7650 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Austria
Posts: 674
Heres something for Mr Farage to chew on: Austria has finally managed to run an election un-impeded by non-closable envelopes and other major troubles. According to the latest calculations, the country has voted for the left-liberal Dr. van der Bellen as its new president. The far right Norbert Hofer can mathematically not catch up with him any more. 53.4 vs. 46,6%. His FP has already conceded their defeat.

So despite Mr Farages prediction, there will be no xit polls, no leaving the Euro zone and no falling apart of the EU following this election.

I thank Mr Farage nevertheless for recommending voting for Mr Hofer: while it was a small influence, the high level of popularity this gentleman enjoys over here did certainly play a little role in this election result...

Last edited by Tu.114; 4th Dec 2016 at 17:04. Reason: Addition of a link to the results
Tu.114 is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 17:24
  #7651 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 930
exrigger...

" From his linkedin profile appears to have no political or business background, in fact only seems to have worked his way up and around in the newspaper arena, and that makes him better than politically experienced writers in other newspapers, would it still be the best summation had he written that for the Daily Mail and one of us had posted the link

Some very detailed research on your (desperate to appease JB readers ) part it seems.

Now, odd though it may seem, I had actually read those articles before.

Unfortunately, they contain something called humour, an ingredient which is often incomprehensible to the right wing, certainly on here, whilst also making valid commentary.

The Mail is unlikely ever to publish anything similar....perish the thought the rags ( you got that bit 100% correct by the way, credit where it's due as they say) readership would be required to think for a start, a function many, if not all, are fundamentally incapable of performing.

The Guardian however, as I will kindly reiterate, has a long history of pragmatic journalism along with publishing opinions that may actually contradict the ethos of the paper. You may recall an advert some time ago in which was shown a "yob" seemingly about to "attack" a "responsible business suited chap".....Mail reader, obviously.....until, that is, it turns out the "yob " was about to save his life when debris falling from a building was about to hit him......the strapline ?....."because all is not always as it seems".....

That's why supposedly "gullible "people think for themselves and assess matters....in contrast to those who simply follow orders, reliant throughout their lives on others thinking for them.
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 17:42
  #7652 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lincoln
Age: 67
Posts: 456
K&C;

I have no reason or need to appease anybody, least of all others on JB who I don't know.

Like you, I have an independent mind and speak as I find, I realise this is an assumption on my part with attributing you with those two traits. I am also quite capable of noticing humour when the need to point that out is considered necessary, which in this case was not required.

But thank you for educating me using some assumption on your part that infers you know who I am and therefore I am in your view considered a less intelligent and knowledgeable person than your good self, again this is also an assumption on my part as I don't know you either.
Exrigger is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 17:50
  #7653 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Posts: 527
https://youtu.be/uYdht0hg1ik

Nick Clegg. Ex leader of the Lib Anti Democrats.

Andrew Neil gives him a roasting.
qwertyuiop is offline  
Old 4th Dec 2016, 18:16
  #7654 (permalink)  
Thought police antagonist
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Where I always have been...firmly in the real world
Posts: 930
" Like you, I have an independent mind and speak as I find, I realise this is an assumption on my part with attributing you with those two traits. I am also quite capable of noticing humour when the need to point that out is considered necessary, which in this case was not required.

But thank you for educating me using some assumption on your part that infers you know who I am and therefore I am in your view considered a less intelligent and knowledgeable person than your good self, again this is also an assumption on my part as I don't know you either


exrigger..

The first paragraph above starts very well, but thereafter, you appear to be quite a sensitive soul at heart given you failed to note my response was not even directed at you personally, merely the articles content and the rag so adored by many on here.

The second, well we have met as you know and if we were to meet again, unlikely I hasten to add, we would both know each other by name and sight, but neither of us is the same person we knew in those distant times.

I gave up, if indeed I ever fully embraced, making assumptions many, many years ago.....I have long had a more reality based and practical perspective to my life
Krystal n chips is online now  
Old 5th Dec 2016, 09:21
  #7655 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oxon
Age: 62
Posts: 1,945
This little hot potato will have the "talking heads" running for cover

Racial segregation 'growing in UK', Dame Louise Casey warns - BBC News

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...person-britain

and it's in the Guardian so it must be true.......
Seldomfitforpurpose is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2016, 09:52
  #7656 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by Seldomfitforpurpose View Post
This little hot potato will have the "talking heads" running for cover

Racial segregation 'growing in UK', Dame Louise Casey warns - BBC News

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...person-britain

and it's in the Guardian so it must be true.......
Interestingly, I listened to her on the radio this morning, whilst taking my car in for a service. What she said, and the evidence she gave to support it, was compelling, and not at all politically driven as far as I could tell.

The core problem is that we have allowed some areas in the UK to regress to the point where basic rights and freedoms are suppressed by powerful, male dominated groups. She cited areas where women were not allowed out of the house without a man's permission, where women were not allowed to drive a car, or even learn to speak English, because of male-dominated religious authorities.

What was clear was that there were some areas where the Shariah Councils held more power over the local community than any elected body. This isn't directly related to extremism, but an example of how we have allowed people to settle in our Christian country, given them the freedom to follow their own religion, and unwittingly also allowed them the freedom to ignore our laws and set up what amounts to their own legal system.

Ignore the fact that the sources quoted have a left-wing bias, as the message is one that I would have expected to come from a right-wing source. If the left are propagating it then we can be reasonably confident that there is a fair bit of truth in it. She was even calling for new British citizens to swear an oath that they would not allow inequality between men and women, if I heard it correctly (if that wasn't exact, it was the jist of it).
VP959 is online now  
Old 5th Dec 2016, 10:04
  #7657 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: The Luberon
Age: 67
Posts: 898
Originally Posted by VP959 View Post
If the left are propagating it then we can be reasonably confident that there is a fair bit of truth in it.
One for the jokes thread.
sitigeltfel is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2016, 10:09
  #7658 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: edge of reality
Posts: 787
disregard.. missed an earlier posting
MungoP is offline  
Old 5th Dec 2016, 10:13
  #7659 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: West Wiltshire, UK
Age: 67
Posts: 369
Originally Posted by sitigeltfel View Post
One for the jokes thread.
What I clearly meant was that if the LEFT are propagating a story that would typical be attributed to the far right (it's essentially racist and against religious freedom), then it's a story that probably has some truth behind it, as the RIGHT would just ignore it, not report it.
VP959 is online now  
Old 5th Dec 2016, 10:34
  #7660 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Oxon
Age: 62
Posts: 1,945
Originally Posted by sitigeltfel View Post
One for the jokes thread.
I disagree as both 'sources' are not the ones you would usually associate with this kind of article.

The articles say nothing that anyone with an open and enquiring mind had not already worked out and confirms the reasons why the 'silent majority' take the easy route of remaining silent because talking about it always sees the race card being played.

My particular favourite is trying to get the 'talking head lib lefty's' to explain their acceptance and understanding of Islam when you consider the manner the religion treats it's women folk, the toxicity of the question has them scampering for cover every single time.
Seldomfitforpurpose is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.