Go Back  PPRuNe Forums > Wannabes Forums > Interviews, jobs & sponsorship
Reload this Page >

Aer Lingus Future Pilot Programme 2019

Interviews, jobs & sponsorship The forum where interviews, job offers and selection criteria can be discussed and exchanged.

Aer Lingus Future Pilot Programme 2019

Old 22nd Aug 2019, 12:41
  #261 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 679
Originally Posted by Eviation View Post
I got through and felt I didn't perform very well in the assessment. For the video assessment I skipped a question by accident and my application was deemed void but I had to get Aer Lingus to re-activate my application portal. Struggled with the dots aptitude question but found the test overall very fair. There was no room for trying to trick the personality test as questions were asked in numerous ways. I must note I only answered 25 of the verbal reasoning questions also as I felt I approached it in the wrong way. Hope this helps with your query.
hmmm, so I wonder what the difference was then?
owenc is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 12:57
  #262 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Dublin
Posts: 20
Still heard nothing but the fact that people are still receiving rejection emails does not give me great hope. I would imagine all successful candidates have heard by now. For those who still havenít heard, we could be in a back up pool, in event people pull out of interview etc.
GPMC is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 13:23
  #263 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 1,026
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
I will try to ask, I wonít push it though. The video was definitely something I felt anxious about, the personality test and the compass (?) test. I couldnít get my head around that one.

Shows how hard it is to get on to this, the fact that we canít even get on to the Assessment Day!

Not sure where to go now regarding Pilot. I donít have £100,000 to pay.
Do not despair. There is always the modular route. I went down a similar route prior to JAR/EASA ~ the 700 hour, self improver route under the UK CAA. I was fortunate in that I was working full time on shifts, and found the time to study for the written exams over a period of 8 months. No need to go on any formal approved courses. Simply apply for the exams. Sandy Thomson & Pete Lyons, then at Booker, did a 4 week intense brush up course. Legends in their own lifetimes.

So save up ~ Class one medical: PPL first; EASA exams; hour building; modular CPL/IR; MCC.

What the modular route demonstrates is a determination to succeed through your hard work and perseverance. Something, I would suggest, a prospective employer will recognise as an admirable quality. A passion for hard work; pass the papers first time with high marks. Flying ~ no retakes. Team player with a positive MCC report.

Do this, and you will realise your dreams.
parkfell is online now  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 13:35
  #264 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: munster
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by parkfell View Post

Do not despair. There is always the modular route. I went down a similar route prior to JAR/EASA ~ the 700 hour, self improver route under the UK CAA. I was fortunate in that I was working full time on shifts, and found the time to study for the written exams over a period of 8 months. No need to go on any formal approved courses. Simply apply for the exams. Sandy Thomson & Pete Lyons, then at Booker, did a 4 week intense brush up course. Legends in their own lifetimes.

So save up ~ Class one medical: PPL first; EASA exams; hour building; modular CPL/IR; MCC.

What the modular route demonstrates is a determination to succeed through your hard work and perseverance. Something, I would suggest, a prospective employer will recognise as an admirable quality. A passion for hard work; pass the papers first time with high marks. Flying ~ no retakes. Team player with a positive MCC report.

Do this, and you will realise your dreams.
Thanks for your positive post. Much appreciated 😀 however I think you need to do the approved courses for ATPLs or else you canít sit the exams.
ComplyWithMe is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 13:37
  #265 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 679
Originally Posted by GPMC View Post
Still heard nothing but the fact that people are still receiving rejection emails does not give me great hope. I would imagine all successful candidates have heard by now. For those who still havenít heard, we could be in a back up pool, in event people pull out of interview etc.
Thought that myself yesterday. Pity itís so cutthroat. Iím sure some who were rejected still got decent scores.

It will be interesting to see if any of the finalists are pilots children.
owenc is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 13:50
  #266 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 3
Phone call recieved

Chaps, I just received the phone inviting me to the next stage a few minutes ago! Wonderful news, however the timing couldn't have been worse as I've just accepted another job offer elsewhere!!! Bloody typical!

So I've had to withdraw my candidacy.

Gutted to day the least. However, hopefully that means there's now an extra place open for someone else! Heads up all!

.... bloody gutted though , this was my second application, didn't get an invite last time! TYPICAL !
TallyVisualIn is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 13:56
  #267 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: Ireland
Posts: 33
Originally Posted by owenc View Post


Thought that myself yesterday. Pity itís so cutthroat. Iím sure some who were rejected still got decent scores.

It will be interesting to see if any of the finalists are pilots children.
dont despair - I know somebody who got a phone call at lunchtime today! Calls will take the whole week to get through - also people may pull out in which case you could get a call in a few weeks (last year someone on this forum got called 1 month after the calls started).

Likewise rejection emails are probably being sent in batches and will be finished by Friday, presumably. Who knows for sure though!
SliabhLuachra is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 14:03
  #268 (permalink)  

de minimus non curat lex
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: sunny troon
Posts: 1,026
Originally Posted by ComplyWithMe View Post


Thanks for your positive post. Much appreciated 😀 however I think you need to do the approved courses for ATPLs or else you canít sit the exams.
Yes, you do need to sign up with an ATO for the writtens. Distance learning can work well, with at least 10% (?) actually attending formal groundschool classroom. Navigation & Performance facilitated with 'talk and chalk'.
Learn the material, then exam practice using a question bank. Understand it: learn the logic: and keep asking WHY !
parkfell is online now  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 14:04
  #269 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: munster
Posts: 24
Originally Posted by parkfell View Post

Yes, you do need to sign up with an ATO for the writtens. Distance learning can work well, with at least 10% (?) actually attending formal groundschool classroom. Navigation & Performance facilitated with 'talk and chalk'.
Learn the material, then exam practice using a question bank. Understand it: learn the logic: and keep asking WHY !
thanks a million! Nice bit of positivity! 😀👩*✈️
ComplyWithMe is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 14:08
  #270 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: United Kingdom
Posts: 85
How long after the phone call until people got their confirmation email through? It was pretty instant last time, wondering whether the delay is to be expected this time.
shamrock_f22 is offline  
Old 22nd Aug 2019, 18:10
  #271 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Lincolnshire
Posts: 1
Got mine the same day, although I called in the morning and it was close to 5pm.
GPF18 is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 00:11
  #272 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Sunderland
Posts: 1
Does anyone have the number they were contacted on? I have a missed call from the 20th and no rejection email yet and I hate to think Iíve missed it!
charliedelap148 is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 06:16
  #273 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: London
Posts: 5
First Post

Hey all!

Congratulations to all those successful, wasnít expecting to be one of them but hey! Whadyaknow hah. If you never try...

As for them not saying where others may potentially have slipped up on the tests, theyíre unlikely
to answer. Aside from this giving an unfair advantage next year, it opens them up to litigation or complaint. Additionally, if it was the personality test you failed on, the temptation would be to fake the responses next time.

I vaguely remember only getting about 27 done on the verbal reasoning... over level 100 on the rocket one. Thought Iíd completely butchered the compass test ... Donít get me started on the interview hah...

For anyone in London - Ishihara?! Where do I get it done?? Seems a few of us have no idea how to get the certificate...

And I donít suppose thereís a way to avoid the £25 charge on the DBS? XD. My last one just expired the other week dangit! :P.
NotSpeedbird is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 09:26
  #274 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: UK/Aus
Posts: 91
The Ishihara test is the colour blind test isnít it? I think any aviation medical examiner should be able to help with it. I have used Heathrow Medicals for my Medicals including eye tests before, but they are on the more expensive side.
thisishomebrand is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 09:51
  #275 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Belfast
Posts: 7
Originally Posted by NotSpeedbird View Post
Hey all!

Congratulations to all those successful, wasnít expecting to be one of them but hey! Whadyaknow hah. If you never try...

As for them not saying where others may potentially have slipped up on the tests, theyíre unlikely
to answer. Aside from this giving an unfair advantage next year, it opens them up to litigation or complaint. Additionally, if it was the personality test you failed on, the temptation would be to fake the responses next time.

I vaguely remember only getting about 27 done on the verbal reasoning... over level 100 on the rocket one. Thought Iíd completely butchered the compass test ... Donít get me started on the interview hah...

For anyone in London - Ishihara?! Where do I get it done?? Seems a few of us have no idea how to get the certificate...

And I donít suppose thereís a way to avoid the £25 charge on the DBS? XD. My last one just expired the other week dangit! :P.
My local Opticians (Specsavers) said they would issue me a signed letter if I requested it as part of an eye test - should hopefully keep costs down you can also usually find money off vouchers online.
rachiffer is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 10:42
  #276 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Dublin
Posts: 20
Got a call yesterday afternoon myself with dates on offer between 9th and 20th September. My surname begins with D so I am unsure what order they are doing them in. Regardless, it is probably a clean sheet again for the next round irrespective of how we did in the tests. Good luck to those still waiting on a contact and best wishes to everyone already invited.
GPMC is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 11:54
  #277 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Location: vermont
Posts: 12
Failed, shouldn't have bothered applying, especially since it took away from my vacation!
vermont is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 12:54
  #278 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Stoke on Trent
Posts: 1
Well done to everyone that got through and wishing you all the best for your next stage. I got my rejection email this morning. To the others in my situation least we tried hey and all the best for the future x
Planegame is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 13:00
  #279 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: Pyongyag
Posts: 1
What do you mean you shouldn't have replied? You value your holiday more than having an unmatched opportunity to start a dream career? I had to create an account here just for this comment but my god, I'd give up the next 10 years of holidays all together instantly to make it onto this program.
KingAutismo is offline  
Old 23rd Aug 2019, 13:43
  #280 (permalink)  
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Northern Ireland
Posts: 679
Just donít think a couple of Psychometric Tests can ascertain someoneís ability to fly a Commercial Jet accurately.

There must be a better way for doing these tests.
owenc is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.